New and old AT&T iPhone plans compared, cost increases detailed

Comments

• Reply 61 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

You don't get charged for incoming text messages do you? If that's the case we just need an app/way to send messages and can forgo the $5 charge. I do agree with others that data being unlimited, yet being nickel and dimmed over text messages is ridiculous.

Yes, you do get charged for incoming SMS. Sorry, AT&T rips you off on both ends. Especially if you consider this: you send an SMS to another phone on your family plan, and you get charged twice (.20 for outgoing, and .20 on the other phone to receive). Nice.
  • Reply 62 of 138
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elearn View Post

Yes, that's exactly right. I'm glad to see we both agree. Something is overpriced when it is priced at a level above what I want to pay. This is how the market works. Apple couldn't [literally] sell enough iPhones the first two times it priced them. This is really the third swing Apple is taking at finding the sweet spot. To be sure, there are probably some people for whom the price of the phone added to the cost of the AT&T service that makes it function (i.e. unbricks it) is reasonable.

I'd like to mention one more thing, just so we're clear, on the meaning of something being overpriced. The cost of the iPhone itself doesn't disgust me so much as the cost of the service from AT&T. I took my kids camping a few months ago. Imagine, for a moment, my surprise when I found that my neighbor's throw-away from [she got it from Wal Mart) had more bars than my iPhone. The whole AT&T experience is what makes buying the 3G so unpalatable. I do not see how it makes sense to pay more for less.

I guess you are free to define "overpriced" any way you like, I was just pointing out that these data prices (or higher) have been standard for years now with more than one mobile carrier with millions of customer, and are in fact cheaper than what tens of millions of others pay in most other developed countries. I don't see, therefore, why said costs would "disgust" you. It apparently has to do with common ignorance in this country of the price of mobile data, since most people in this country are already paying similar rates for voice minutes.

It really all goes back to what someone above mentioned, which is the utility of the service. $30 for unlimited data is $1 per day. For the people who rarely use internet, intranet, and email access, it may be too expensive. For corporate users, entrepreneurs, independent contractors, and anyone else that needs to be able to instantly access their email, check inventory, use line-of-business or corporate web applications, and any other important business activities, $1 per day is peanuts.

And I guess I don't understand your "pay more for less" comment. Do you mean because the crappy cellphone had more signal than the iPhone (in which case I'd have to ask if it was an AT&T phone or on another network?), or are you not counting faster 3G data access and GPS as "more".
  • Reply 63 of 138
    nopietnopiet Posts: 2member
    Maybe I'm not reading the AT&T press release properly, but it looks to me like the SMS issues are small potatoes compared to the apparent "requirement" that the user purchase the "Enterprise Data Plan" for $45 in order to "access corporate email" (i.e., Exchange) accounts. This will really suck and make the plan expensive enough that it will be difficult for my I.T. department to swallow. Does anyone else read the announcement (http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rticleid=25883) this way? It's under the part about "iPhone for Business".
  • Reply 64 of 138
    elearnelearn Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Are you complaining about the iPhone's durability here of just offering background info? All the iPhone and iPod touches my family have are in good condition and seem to be durable. I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that the 13yr old and 16yr old didn't purchase the iPhones with their own money. My 12-year old cousin's iPod touch which was obtained with his money from working in the summer appears to be in great condition.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about what the "market" will come up with. Have you seen or tried to use any of the so-called "iPhone" killers? They are a joke.

Does anyone know if you can remove the data plan after you sign up? This is be good for those who don't wish to pay ~$80/mo and just use Wifi.

So, if you don't use the $10/month "VZnavigator" service, what software can you use to access the GPS capability?

When one buys an iPhone, or anything else they make, one also buys into the whole Apple experience, i.e. "the designed by Apple in California" thing. I've been buying into it for a long time. I've been a member of the faithful as long as I have because, d--- it, Apple makes some good s---. Which brings me to your response.

I think the market, and the people that are the market, will win in the end irrespective of whatever Apple ships next week. The reason is that the products T-Mobile and Verizon and the other companies are shipping now is better than what they were shipping this time last year. I'm not looking for an iPhone or an iPhone killer. I am interested in buying something that looks cool and that works seamlessly with my [and my family's] Macs.

I'll probably replace our busted iPhones with something free from T-Mobile; it sucks having to pay the AT&T ransom (I did turn off all the iPhone features except what makes it a phone and so have been paying $10 per phone since they broke). As for our remaining iPhones, a lot of the iPhone 2.0 features will work with them. The best part about this is I get to keep my existing AT&T service plan and not have to fork over more.

As for features like GPS: I guess I'll have to rely on things like pre-planning, asking questions, and using maps like I've been doing for the past 50+ years.
  • Reply 65 of 138
    One big problem is that the data plan is REQUIRED with the iPhone, where it is NOT required with a Blackberry, for example, on AT&T. Why does this matter?

1. Because at $30 per month, per phone, is not worth it for many customers who already have WiFi at home/work and in coffee shops, etc.-- in other words, they won't need to use the 3G or Edge network for data access enough to justify a $30 monthly charge.

2. For many customers, there is NO 3G service in their area. I live in a densely populated area of Southern California. Guess what? No 3G. Not at my house, not at my work (also in an area of 4 million people in SoCal), not at the Costco warehouse where I shop, not at the library where I take my kids, and not at the park. Pretty much the only place I get 3G is near the AT&T corporate store. Note that according to AT&T's coverage maps, I should be getting 3G all over. But I don't. I have new phones from AT&T, and I've even tried swapping them out for another, more expensive model, with the same results.

So --- now I'm supposed to gladly hand over $30 per month, per phone for a REQUIRED data service that I will rarely actually need, and that works only at the old, slower Edge speeds when I do use it?

Say what you like about the pricing, but until AT&T either makes data optional or provides a less expensive, limited data plan (e.g., 100MB/mo. or whatever), I won't be buying the iPhone.
  • Reply 66 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

I was planning on purchasing an iPhone and a MBP. Apple just lost both sales because of AT&T.

I have been a long time AT&T customer... Yet... I'm not eligible for an upgrade. What is my cost for the iPhone? $500.00 for the model I wanted to get, the 16G. Text messaging extra too?

I hope you rot in hell AT&T executives.

I suggest you check your account. I just switched to AT&T when I bought my iPhone. When I checked my account on AT&T's website, I AM eligible for the upgrade pricing as long as I sign a new 2 year contract.

Not that I would, because a 3g iPhone is irrelevent. It is slower than WiFi so I'll be mad anytime that I am not on WiFi. 2g is slower than hell and 3g is still slow, so I don't see what the big deal is. Plus, who wants a plastic ass phone that is thicker?
  • Reply 67 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I guess you are free to define "overpriced" any way you like, I was just pointing out that these data prices (or higher) have been standard for years now with more than one mobile carrier with millions of customer, and are in fact cheaper than what tens of millions of others pay in most other developed countries. I don't see, therefore, why said costs would "disgust" you. It apparently has to do with common ignorance in this country of the price of mobile data, since most people in this country are already paying similar rates for voice minutes.

It really all goes back to what someone above mentioned, which is the utility of the service. $30 for unlimited data is $1 per day. For the people who rarely use internet, intranet, and email access, it may be too expensive. For corporate users, entrepreneurs, independent contractors, and anyone else that needs to be able to instantly access their email, check inventory, use line-of-business or corporate web applications, and any other important business activities, $1 per day is peanuts.

And I guess I don't understand your "pay more for less" comment. Do you mean because the crappy cellphone had more signal than the iPhone (in which case I'd have to ask if it was an AT&T phone or on another network?), or are you not counting faster 3G data access and GPS as "more".

The price of mobile data??? I've been using a Macbook Air for a couple of months now; I've been using it with a Verizon USB720 modem. Verizon sells it for $29; Verizon has deals with a lot of companies: I got mine free thanks to a deal Verizon had with my employer. How's that for utility of service: a free phone and $59 a month for 3G internet access anywhere there's a nearby tower.

Where's this going? I can do anything with my Air that I can do with the iPhone except use the iPhone to get my Air to connect to the internet. Why doesn't AT&T offer this service? Other companies do. I think it has to do with Skype: the USB720 works so sweetly with it. This is what I mean about paying more for less. AT&T is holding the 3G iPhone back.

Oh baby don't get me started about utility and data prices. You're talking to a road warrior with the receipts to prove it. You shouldn't talk in generalities by the way: using words like "common" and "millions" make it easy for you to explain away just about anything. I'm giving you specific examples based on my experience.

One more thing: my Verizon USB720 is a 3G phone. I bet it works in more places than your 3G iPhone will.
  • Reply 68 of 138
    kindredmackindredmac Posts: 153member
    I think the best thing that AT&T could have done to get existing iPhone users to upgrade to the new one is to allow the current iPhone users to keep their current plan down to the penny.

Let the bandwagoners pay the more expensive rates since they decided to be late to the game.

Where is the incentive to upgrade? What just because AT&T says that you are AUTOMATICALLY cleared and allowed to upgrade is the perk? Bullsh!t......

Pure greed. I don't need nor want my monthly bill to go up for the next 2 years. I would rather that I spend $299-$399 up front and keep what I have for my current iPhone plan than get into this mess.
  • Reply 69 of 138
    This is it. I am officially not buying an iPhone. The previous iPhone plans were the perfect price sweetspot for me. My wife and I were planning to get iPhones when our Verizon contract finished in December. If I had know about this price increase, I would even be tempted to break my current contract and get the 1G iPhone, because clearly we are getting screwed now.

Our current family plan with Verizon is $75 a month for 2 lines, 500 minutes, 250 text messages apiece, and the usual stuff (unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited IN calling, etc.). We get a slight discount through my work..normally it would be $78.

To switch to an iPhone, 2 lines would cost $159 plus taxes. That is more then doubling our current cell phone bill. We use MAYBE half of our current text messaging plan (250 apiece), why the heck would we want unlimited text messages for $30?

I don't know if AT&T has noticed, but there is basically a recession going on, no one can afford to drive anywhere, and you expect people to drop $159 a month on 2 iPhones?

I totally understand business users getting charged blackberry rates (since they use it more). But home users? That is ridiculous.

AT&T just lost a family plan purchase and Apple just lost 2 iPhone sales. This is beyond ridiculous.
  • Reply 70 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisgeleven View Post

This is it. I am officially not buying an iPhone. The previous iPhone plans were the perfect price sweetspot for me. My wife and I were planning to get iPhones when our Verizon contract finished in December. If I had know about this price increase, I would even be tempted to break my current contract and get the 1G iPhone, because clearly we are getting screwed now.

Our current family plan with Verizon is $75 a month for 2 lines, 500 minutes, 250 text messages apiece, and the usual stuff (unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited IN calling, etc.). We get a slight discount through my work..normally it would be $78.

To switch to an iPhone, 2 lines would cost $159 plus taxes. That is more then doubling our current cell phone bill. We use MAYBE half of our current text messaging plan (250 apiece), why the heck would we want unlimited text messages for $30?

I don't know if AT&T has noticed, but there is basically a recession going on, no one can afford to drive anywhere, and you expect people to drop $159 a month on 2 iPhones?

I totally understand business users getting charged blackberry rates (since they use it more). But home users? That is ridiculous.

AT&T just lost a family plan purchase and Apple just lost 2 iPhone sales. This is beyond ridiculous.

Couldn't agree more. For business users, okay. For average consumers, it's too much added expense for too little value. AT&T is going to have to drop these prices. I won't be surprised if demand turns out to be much lower than they are anticipating.
  • Reply 71 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Apple sold a million or more iPhones at $499/$599 and ran out of supply several weeks ago at $399. The iPhone 3G will be a success from the very beginning. It's all about supply and demand. Demand is high now and supply is tight. Give it time and the price will come down, but not until millions of 3G units have already been sold.

I have a theory for why Apple ran out of iPhones some time ago. They didn't want to be stampeded by all the people who bought 2.5G iPhones just before the 3G iPhones came out. Remember what happened last year when Apple dropped the price $200? Apple is a smart company. Give them the credit they deserve. Apple did not "run out." It was a cold calculated decision based on not wanting history to repeat itself.
  • Reply 72 of 138
    G.R.E.E.D that's how to spell iPhone 3G!

(Unfortunately though, it will be sheep to slaughter by the millions. Which is exactly why America is going broke.)
  • Reply 73 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slicedbread View Post

Couldn't agree more. For business users, okay. For average consumers, it's too much added expense for too little value. AT&T is going to have to drop these prices. I won't be surprised if demand turns out to be much lower than they are anticipating.

I think that Apple is going to sell tons of these things. The sad part is that the weight of an iPhone will add to the weight of the notebook the person likely carrying too. Over time (how much time? i dunno) I think the iPhone will get bigger and laptops like the Macbook Air will get even smaller and they will eventually merge.

Geez, I really loved my Newton.
  • Reply 74 of 138
    As an iPhone owner who never uses text messaging, I am quite happy to see that AT&T has separated out this cost from the monthly plan. I really have no desire to subsidize those users who use this feature.
  • Reply 75 of 138
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elearn View Post

I have a theory [...] Apple did not "run out." It was a cold calculated decision based on not wanting history to repeat itself.

Apple certainly did run out. Calculated? Of course. And I give them top marks for excellent sales combined with excellent profit margins.
  • Reply 76 of 138
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    This complaining isn't directed at iPhone. It's directed at AT&T and other carriers for charging high rates for all data plans, just like people complain about broadband prices. So go ahead, complain. But do remember that iPhone 2007 really did get a break. So if you are still on that plan and don't care that much about 3G or GPS, just stick with it (don't upgrade).

And I suspect we have more complaining now because many people who are interested in iPhone have never considered a smartphone and data plans before. So it's the first time they're seeing these extra costs, so what to do? complain.

Now totally unrelated: My question is can I have an AT&T family plan with one iPhone and one non-iPhone/non-smartphone. If I can, how much does it cost? Or do you just have to get two separate plans? Anyone do this before, or talk to AT&T already?
  • Reply 77 of 138
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robert808 View Post

As an iPhone owner who never uses text messaging, I am quite happy to see that AT&T has separated out this cost from the monthly plan. I really have no desire to subsidize those users who use this feature.

You'll no doubt be excited when the SMS spam messages arrive and you find AT&T doesn't provide a way to inactivate SMS completely.
  • Reply 78 of 138
    To chrisgeleven:

But do you get unlimited data (access via browser to the Internet) on your Verizon plan? The $30 is for unlimited data. The $30 is for access to the Internet. Repeat: The $30 is for unlimited data.

When a person was paying for cable TV, did he expect the cable company to throw in unlimited data (access to the Internet) for free? After all, it comes in via the same wire. (And wby not unlimited voice as well; it comes through the same wire, doesn't it?)

(By the way, SMS (and MMS) is a cellular data technology. I know users could care less, but it really is not related to the Internet.)
  • Reply 79 of 138
    If iPeon already got a subsidized phone with his 2-year contract, then he shouldn't expect another subsidized phone until he's nearing the end of his contract (when he becomes qualified for a subsidized phone).

Since you (enzomedici) bought an unsubsidized iPhone, AT&T is allowing you to just start a new contract with a subsidized phone (as if you were a new customer). In other words, they are foregoing "punishing" you for having shared some of the monthly revenue with Apple.

In other words, if AT&T paid for your phone in exchange for you agreeing to fulfill a two-year contract, then why should they rip it up and end it early? When baseball or football players don't finish their contracts after having received a huge up-front bonus, do we find that just?
  • Reply 80 of 138
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    at&t charging me more for texting is simply horrendous.

i am really hoping that people will figure out that they can just download AIM for free and IM instead...

i'm definitely going to lead that charge with the ones I text the most (who happen to have iPhones as well (which is another charge I led.. but that's neither here, nor there))