Rogers to offer Canadians limited time $30 6GB iPhone 3G data plan

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CDN_newguy View Post

Naw, I figure you keep your existing voice plan (which likely includes texts & callerID, and just add this $30/mo plan on top. So you've got a $40/mo voice plan, $40+$30+6.95+0.50 = $77.45 for what you've got already + 6GB of data.

The kicker (imho) is that Rogers isn't saying what "limited" means... Is it limited to those that sign up before Aug 31st? Is it only an introductory offer for the 1st 6mo, then you go to $100/mo? It's gotta be the second variety (PKD reference!). I just can't see them leaving that much $ on the table - they don't leave money ANYWHERE (except maybe in Ted's jeans )...

The press release says it is a limited time promo in terms of the window to sign up, but it does not mention that the price expire once you sign up.
  • Reply 22 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

I disagree. This is not Rogers caving in at all, but is the equivalent of union busting--they are trying to break the resolve of petition signers to not get phones. Due to the limited supply of phones and the expiration date on this deal, only a few early buyers (scabs) will get the reward, and the masses will still get stuck with the original, petitioned plans. If the deal were permanent, it'd be a concession, but until it is Rogers remains deserving of wrath.

You are probably right. It is probably a response to the media attention, the complaints and to the Bell and Telus offers. But, I would suggest there is a strong possibility it will become a permanent offer and they introduced it as a promo as a face saving measure. They might have thought it would look bad to completely scrap the original plans right away.
  • Reply 23 of 87
    cjdcjd Posts: 3member
    I haven't seen anywhere yet that this is also offered at Rogers- everything seems to be coming from Fido only.

I'll believe this when I see it up on Rogers website. And if it IS true, can I keep my existing voice plan that I signed on for last year, even though it's not offered anymore?

BTW kids, I think everyone needs to stop bitching about this- pat yourselves on the back that they have listened to all of us and offered something that is actually a great deal. I mean, 6 gigs is a boatload of data and if you still can't afford the damn thing, maybe you're just going to suck it up and wait until you get a better job. I want a house in downtown Vancouver but I'm not out there shouting at people to give it to me for 150 thousand, am I?

Bear in mind that once we all get our new iPhones the data speeds are going to be a hell of a lot slower than advertised, as now that we've all got a rate that we can afford, even the snot nosed kid down the street is going to have one and the network is going to be clogged up anyways.

Well done everyone- but I think we ought to give Rogers a tip of the hat for listening.
  • Reply 24 of 87
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I think call display is just the number and caller display is the name. The iPhone shouldbe able to display the caller name, if it is in your contacts, just with Call Display. All of my old phones can, so I expect the iphone can.

But really, your $60 doesn't have Call Display?

Edited: We do apparently, I was wrong.
  • Reply 25 of 87
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjd View Post

I haven't seen anywhere yet that this is also offered at Rogers- everything seems to be coming from Fido only.

It is up on Rogers' website:

http://your.rogers.com/aboutrogers/n...s_releases.asp

Check out the July 9 news entry that is (currently) on the top of the web page.

The news release most definitely does include the Rogers network (not just Fido) because it talks about events occurring at retail stores in Halifax - Fido doesn't have any retail space in Halifax, only Rogers does.
  • Reply 26 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Caller ID, call display, caller display - all the same thing. Without it you get ID unknown on the display. And no, no package that I know of in Canada comes with caller id / display

Shocking, no?

Call Display is exactly equivalent to Caller ID in USA terminology. Name Display is Roger's name for a premium service that automatically sends both the Name and Number of an incoming call, regardless of whether the caller is already in your address book.

Rogers Pay As You Go (prepaid service) includes complimentary caller ID. Last I checked, so do the prepaid options from Bell and Telus.
  • Reply 27 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjd View Post

I'll believe this when I see it up on Rogers website. And if it IS true, can I keep my existing voice plan that I signed on for last year, even though it's not offered anymore?

BTW kids, I think everyone needs to stop bitching about this- pat yourselves on the back that they have listened to all of us and offered something that is actually a great deal. I mean, 6 gigs is a boatload of data and if you still can't afford the damn thing, maybe you're just going to suck it up and wait until you get a better job. I want a house in downtown Vancouver but I'm not out there shouting at people to give it to me for 150 thousand, am I?

Bear in mind that once we all get our new iPhones the data speeds are going to be a hell of a lot slower than advertised, as now that we've all got a rate that we can afford, even the snot nosed kid down the street is going to have one and the network is going to be clogged up anyways.

Well done everyone- but I think we ought to give Rogers a tip of the hat for listening.

Their official press release is on Rogers site, and discusses Rogers Wireless, not Fido. It is identical to the Fido release on PRNewsWire.
  • Reply 28 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Caller ID, call display, caller display - all the same thing. Without it you get ID unknown on the display. And no, no package that I know of in Canada comes with caller id / display

Shocking, no?

My Fido plan has always included call display, i.e. the phone number of the incoming call. I don't see the name, unless the are in my address book. You are right, current Rogers/Fido plans don't likely include this. Probably don't include Voice Mail either. My $30 plan has both, and 300 minutes, and 50 out going texts and evenings/weekends starting at 7PM. You must have a very new plan not to have call display.
  • Reply 29 of 87
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Call Display is exactly equivalent to Caller ID in USA terminology. Name Display is Roger's name for a premium service that automatically sends both the Name and Number of an incoming call, regardless of whether the caller is already in your address book.

Rogers Pay As You Go (prepaid service) includes complimentary caller ID. Last I checked, so do the prepaid options from Bell and Telus.

I stand corrected, then. I paid for caller ID at Telus when I joined two years ago. Coming from Europe I was shocked at having to pay this. My wife who also joined Telus could never see who called. I have to look into my deal and see what's what.
  • Reply 30 of 87
    megawattmegawatt Posts: 35member
    I just called Rogers customer service, and the rep was unaware of the new $30 data plan promotion, so it hasn't quite filtered through their lines of communication. I'm a current Rogers wireless customer, and have 1 year left on my current contract.

The current upgrade prices for me are:

8GB iPhone - $299 (after $50 mail in rebate)

16GB iPhone - $399 (after $50 mail in rebate)

I like my current voice plan, but my concern is being locked into a 3 year contract when there will most likely be better competition next year (after the wireless spectrum auction finishes).

I would have 3 years of:

$25 voice plan

$30 6GB data plan

$6.95 system access

$3.10 GST

$65.05/month for 36 months = $2341.80.

When there is more competition, I bet I can get an unlimited data plan, no system access fee, and no contract. As much as I would like an iPhone this Friday, the long contract is the major deal breaker for me.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post

I just called Rogers customer service, and the rep was unaware of the new $30 data plan promotion, so it hasn't quite filtered through their lines of communication. I'm a current Rogers wireless customer, and have 1 year left on my current contract.

The current upgrade prices for me are:

8GB iPhone - $299 (after $50 mail in rebate)

16GB iPhone - $399 (after $50 mail in rebate)

I like my current voice plan, but my concern is being locked into a 3 year contract when there will most likely be better competition next year (after the wireless spectrum auction finishes).

I would have 3 years of:

$25 voice plan

$30 6GB data plan

$6.95 system access

$3.10 GST

$65.05/month for 36 months = $2341.80.

When there is more competition, I bet I can get an unlimited data plan, no system access fee, and no contract. As much as I would like an iPhone this Friday, the long contract is the major deal breaker for me.

I called Fido, but they could not tell me what my price for the phones would be because I am not in my hardware upgrade window yet. I was trying to get them to force my acct into that status, so that i can get one before the promo expires. Nice thing about Fido is their FidoDollars points system, where you get 5%(I think) of your total monthly bill back as Fido Dollars and can apply them to the iPhone (or any other). So, I will have a ~$100 credit to apply, if they will just let me buy it at a subsidized price.
  • Reply 32 of 87
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Can someone please buy Rogers already. AT&T have a tendency to Monopolize the world.
  • Reply 33 of 87
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dgMac View Post

Rogers has over 56,000 and counting very angry customers registering their displeasure at http://www.ruinediphone.com. They need to be doing a lot more than announcing a "time-limited" data plan:

1) They need to immediately DROP THE ORIGINAL phone/data plans that got everyone so angry off their rogers and fido websites! Just seeing those data plans there is reminding everyone how they got into this public relations disaster.

2) They need to instead show new phone/data plans with a fixed price that includes ALL CHARGES in a single list:

* daytime calling minutes (eg 100, 300, 500 etc)

* unlimited evening and weekend

* visual voice mail

* system access fee INCLUDED (not slipped into the fine print below)

* Caller ID INCLUDED (not added onto some goofy $15 addon plan)

* 6 GB data plan (its not unlimited, but it will have to do)

And they need to drop that Aug 31 time limit. To angry customers, that sounds arrogant ("Ok, we'll DEIGN to allow this, ONCE.")

When you've got a lot of angry customers, the last thing you want is to create confusion over what your Hail-Mary-Pass last-minute fix is going to be. Make your new plan as unconfusing as possible.

I couldn't agree more. And yet, sadly, on the news boards I read this concession is winning people over. People are saying there's no way any normal use will go over 6GB, and for some reason are now willing to suck up the three year contract. They'll be "waiting in line on Friday" now. Geez.

What we SHOULD do, now that we have Ted's greedy ADHD consideration, is nothing at all different from what brought this about. Don't buy one. Not right away. Two months more, and we get everything we want. I'd bet on it.

Read my lips, Ted:

UN-LIM-IT-ED data. At a decent price point (see AT&T). Permanently (none of this limited time horsecrap).

I, for one, am still taking a pass at this. My ideal would be to buy the phone outright for 4-500 bucks, and get the plan they're offering for as long as I want it, whenever I want it.

m.
  • Reply 34 of 87
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post

As much as I would like an iPhone this Friday, the long contract is the major deal breaker for me.

I agree. The data limit I might or might not hit, but the 36 month contract is just silly. I am not even convinced iPhones are designed to last that long (seriously). I once recall hearing that Apple only means the design life of an iPod to be 18 months. (It came up during a discussion on battery replaceability.) An iPhone is not that far removed from an iPod and I'd be interested to hear confirmation or denial from Apple that they expect iPhones (and their batteries) to be fully functional after 36 months.
  • Reply 35 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

I agree. The data limit I might or might not hit, but the 36 month contract is just silly. I am not even convinced iPhones are designed to last that long (seriously). I once recall hearing that Apple only means the design life of an iPod to be 18 months. (It came up during a discussion on battery replaceability.) An iPhone is not that far removed from an iPod and I'd be interested to hear confirmation or denial from Apple that they expect iPhones (and their batteries) to be fully functional after 36 months.

Maybe Rogers should throw in a complimentary subscription to Apple Care with every contract
  • Reply 36 of 87
    prince1prince1 Posts: 18member
    http://micro.newswire.ca/release.cgi...5804-0&Start=0

http://your.rogers.com/investorrelat...s_wireless.asp

Calling all iPhone 3G fans!

Select Rogers Plus stores to open early coast-to-coast on July 11

Launch promotions to include limited time 6GB data offer

TORONTO, July 9 /CNW/ - In anticipation of iPhone 3G launch on July 11,

Rogers Wireless today announced plans to open the doors of select Rogers Plus

retail stores across Canada in advance of regular hours. Starting at 8:00 am

July 11, Canadians will be able to purchase the new iPhone 3G at special

launch day events to be held at six Rogers Plus stores across the country. Be

among the first in Canada to get the next generation iPhone 3G and have the

choice of a 6GB data plan through a limited time promotional price offer.

"As Canada's leading wireless carrier, Rogers is excited to bring iPhone

3G to Canadians even sooner, allowing our customers to be amongst the first in

the world to experience this amazing mobile innovation," says John Boynton,

Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, Rogers Wireless. "To

celebrate its launch on Canada's fastest wireless network, we're rolling out

the red carpet with special events at six Rogers Plus stores and a limited

time price promotional data offer from coast-to-coast."

iPhone 3G combines all the revolutionary features of iPhone with 3G

networking that is twice as fast(*) as the first generation iPhone, built-in GPS

for expanded location based mobile services, and iPhone 2.0 software which

includes support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and runs the hundreds of

third party applications already built with the recently released iPhone SDK.

Rogers Launch Promotions

------------------------

The following Rogers Plus stores in these cities will open their doors at

8:00 a.m. (all times local) on Friday, July 11 for advance purchases of the

Apple iPhone 3G:

Toronto: 112-10 Dundas Street East

Montreal: 1015 rue St. Catherine Ouest

Ottawa: 690 Bank Street

Halifax: Unit 265, 7001 Mumford Road

Calgary: 5244 Falsbridge Gate, NE

Vancouver: 2097 West Broadway

Customers attending launch day events at these Rogers Plus stores will be

treated to a free early bird breakfast and have a chance to win Rogers

Wireless prizes.

Effective July 11, and as a limited time promotional offer for customers

who activate by August 31 on a three year contract, a data-only offering of

6GB of data for $30 per month is being made available that can be added to any

in-market voice plan. For example, with 6GB of data, iPhone 3G users can visit

35,952 web pages, or send and receive 157,286 emails, or watch 6,292 minutes

of YouTube videos each and every month.(xx)

New Canadian iPhone 3G customers will also have the choice to select from

Rogers Wireless' existing voice and smartphone data plans and/or additional

features to best suit their needs, or from Rogers Wireless' value bundled

plans specifically for iPhone 3G. Existing Rogers Wireless customers can keep

their current voice service plan and select a separate data plan to meet their

needs or choose from other plans after checking their individual upgrade

eligibility.

Starting July 11, iPhone 3G will be available at participating locations

across Canada, including select Rogers Plus, Rogers Video, and Rogers Wireless

retail locations and at the following specially selected authorized Rogers

Wireless dealers: WirelessWave, TBooth and Wireless etc. iPhone 3G can also be

purchased online at www.rogers.com and through Rogers' customer service at

1-888-764-3771. For a complete store listing, visit

http://your.rogers.com/mq/mqlocator.asp. Due to anticipated high demand, there

is a maximum purchase of two iPhone 3G per customer.

(*) Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds may vary due to a variety

of factors.

(xx) Based on live trials of iPhone 3G on Rogers HSPA network, July 2008

About Rogers Wireless

Rogers Wireless provides wireless voice and data communications services

across Canada to more than 7.4 million customers under both the Rogers

Wireless and Fido brands. Proven to operate Canada's most reliable wireless

voice and data communications network, Rogers Wireless is Canada's largest

wireless provider and the only carrier operating on the global standard GSM

and highly advanced HSPA technology platforms. In addition to providing

seamless roaming in more than 200 countries/areas with its GSM based services,

Rogers Wireless also provides wireless broadband services across Canada,

utilizing its 2.5GHz fixed wireless spectrum. Rogers Wireless is a subsidiary

of Rogers Communications Inc. (TSX: RCI; NYSE: RCI), a diversified Canadian

communications and media company. For further information, please visit

www.rogers.com.

<<

Backgrounder

Average Data Usage on iPhone 3G for Top 25 Internet Properties in Canada

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 25 Total Unique Avg. Data Usage

Properties(*) Visitors (000)(*) (first page)(xx)

Total Internet:

Total Audience 23,947

(P) Google Sites 23,141 53 Kb

(P) Microsoft Sites 23,053 360 Kb

(P) Yahoo! Sites 16,361 397 Kb

(P) FACEBOOK.COM 16,154 51 Kb

(P) eBay 13,972 385 Kb

(P) Wikipedia Sites 11,528 175 Kb

(P) Yellow Pages Group 10,162 35 Kb

(P) AOL LLC 10,012 134 Kb

(P) Amazon Sites 8,568 38 Kb

(P) Apple Inc. 8,506 650 Kb

(P) Canoe Network 7,894 235 Kb

(P) CTVglobemedia 7,835 630 Kb

(P) Fox Interactive Media 7,611 194 Kb

(P) The Weather Network Meteomedia 7,261 811 Kb

(P) CNET Networks 7,042 36 Kb

(P) Ask Network 6,966 97 Kb

(P) New York Times Digital 6,943 654 Kb

(P) Viacom Digital 6,258 671 Kb

(P) CBC-Radio Canada Sites 5,908 468 Kb

(P) Adobe Sites 5,110 678 Kb

(P) Time Warner - Excluding AOL 5,039 143 Kb

(P) Canwest Digital 4,916 236 Kb

(P) WhitePages 4,910 30 Kb

(P) Gorilla Nation 4,826 194 Kb

(P) ROGERS 4,657 593 Kb

Weighted avg = 175 Kb

Simple avg = 318 Kb

(*) Top 25 visited Properties, April 2008, All Locations, comScore, Inc.

(C)

(xx)Rogers Internal iPhone 3G test results, July 2008

Select Usage Chart of Data Buckets in iPhone 3G Plans

-------------------------- ------------- ------------- ------------

Email OR Websites OR Photos OR YouTube

kb used 40 175 300 1000

Bucket Size No. of No. No.

(in MB) text emails of pages of photos (in min)

400 10,240 2,341 1,365 410

750 19,200 4,389 2,560 768

1024 26,214 5,992 3,495 1,049

2048 52,429 11,984 6,991 2,097

6144 157,286 35,952 20,972 6,292

>>
  • Reply 37 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    As it's been shown in other threads the previous iPhones data packages were a lot better than their pther packages for other phones, but this is on track with AT&T. In fact it's 20% more than AT&T who advertised unlimited but can cap you at 5GB.
  • Reply 38 of 87
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince View Post

... whole lotta crap ...

Thanks for messing up the thread with a Rogers advertisement. Perhaps you work for them?

On the internet however, there is this thing called a "link" that you might consider using instead.
  • Reply 39 of 87
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    The thing I find interesting about this whole debacle is that Rogers and Fido are both seriously out to lunch when it comes to organising this launch. I mean they have had a year and a half to think about it since the first (mistaken) announcement that the iPhone was coming to Rogers network.

Take today ... many rumours of this new pricing on data, and if you hunt for it, you may find a fixed font (courier!) document from Rogers and Fido that tells you about it in some confusing language. If you go to Rogers or Fidos sites however (two days before launch remember!), you can't find a single link to purchase the iPhone, or a single link that mentions the new data plan.

Wow. Way to get the news out.

Perhaps listing this information under "plans" on the Rogers website might have been more effective?

If you try to purchase a phone through the site, you are not even offered the iPhone as a category of device! I mean sure, it isn't officially for sale yet, but it's only two days to launch! Less even! Prospective customers coming to Canada's two premier cell phone web sites are being basically turned away by the ridiculously confusing and hard to find information.

They should have had info on this for months on their site, I should be able to go and check out a single comprehensible table that lists their plans, but it just isn't there.

There is no better indication of what a dysfunctional company Rogers is than the fact that two days before the launch of what is arguably the biggest product launch in the history of the cell business in Canada, these guys don't even have the details on their website.

What a bunch of maroons! (as bugs would say)

fire the lot of them!
  • Reply 40 of 87
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Isn't the data plan for data over the cell network?

Wi-Fi doesn't count in this, correct?