Rogers to offer Canadians limited time $30 6GB iPhone 3G data plan

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lordeagle View Post

@solipsism: that may be true with plans but not PAYG. Last time I was in the US, I had a prepaid ATT card, and every time any of my friends (in the US) would phone me up, it'd use my credit (just as much as if I'd made the call myself). When I ran out of credit, I couldn't receive calls anymore....

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I wasn't stating that the Belguim/French cellular policy was a N. American standard, but Rogers charging for incoming is the standard among most carriers in N. America. Though from what I've read on these forums there are EU carriers that are adopting a policy for charging for incoming and outgoing; you do get more minutes but the carrier can't be abused by a one minute outgoing call to a landline and an excessively long incoming call back.
  • Reply 62 of 87
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Still 3 year lock-in. Still $6.95 'System Access Fee' charged. Still not buying.

Nice try Rogers, but no sale.
  • Reply 63 of 87
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Still 3 year lock-in. Still $6.95 'System Access Fee' charged. Still not buying.

Nice try Rogers, but no sale.

Not even a nice try. Why is anybody even considering this as some kind of concession? For a few months you get a deal on one of the additional packages, then for the remaining 33 months or so ... snafu.
  • Reply 64 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Not even a nice try. Why is anybody even considering this as some kind of concession? For a few months you get a deal on one of the additional packages, then for the remaining 33 months or so ... snafu.

I was reading it as a contract lock in at that data rate if you signup with that timeframe, not only 3 months at that rate.
  • Reply 65 of 87
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do other Canadian carriers offer 6GB for $30? I think some people are just never satisfied or need something to complain about.

Depends on the phone. You can get unlimited data from Telus and Bell for $30 on basically any phone that is not a Blackberry. This includes the new Samsung Instinct and LG Dare.

Rogers cannot even come close to the rates that Telus customers can get, especially since Telus lets customers change their plan at any time, and lets customers choose legacy/regional/retention plans even in mid-contract.
  • Reply 66 of 87
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was reading it as a contract lock in at that data rate if you signup with that timeframe, not only 3 months at that rate.

Solipsism, I believe you are right. I can't find info to back up any claim on Rogers' site, but most reports suggest you are right. I read somewhere that the promotion was limited for 20 days, then three months. I took it to mean you only got the promotion for those days / months, which is common in terms of free local calls promotions.
  • Reply 67 of 87
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

...the equivalent of union busting--they are trying to break the resolve of petition signers to not get phones. Due to the limited supply of phones and the expiration date on this deal, only a few early buyers (scabs) will get the reward, and the masses will still get stuck with the original, petitioned plans. ...

Hoffa lives.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Customers attending the launch day events at any of those stores will be treated to a free early bird breakfast and have a chance to win prizes, Rogers and Fido said.

I'm flippin' YOU the bird Rogers.

• Reply 68 of 87
    cjdcjd Posts: 3member
    Now, what the hell does "in-market" mean in terms of the plans? I like my current voice plan, I'm 7 1/2 months into a 3 year contract. I don't mind signing a new 3 year contract- so even if my current voice plan doesn't exist anymore, can I still keep it for another 3 years and change my data plan to the 30 dollar offer? If so, sign me up. Telus has lost me forever because of charging me for ringtones and songs I never downloaded and refused to reimburse me. (FYI- broke my contract with them and they stopped trying to get me for the cancellation charge after a little talk with my wife the lawyer). Telus and Bell are flogging a CDMA network that is headed nowhere. I'll pay the access fee- at least Rogers has actually built a 3G network. And 50 cents for a 911 fee? Hmm- I'll suck it up and scrape that little bit of change off my coffee table.

If I can keep my voice plan, sign a new 3 year and get myself an iPhone for 200 bucks a 6 gb a month for 30 beans, I'll pony up- just don't expect me to eat any free breakfast- the Rogers employees will all be spitting into the eggs, methinks.
  • Reply 69 of 87
    So I talked to FIDO to enquire about my voice and data iPhone options as I live in an area where I am frequently outside of my 'home' area = long distance voice charges (I CANNOT believe we do not have a National cell phone plan like in the US...arrrrg).

So, FIDO they said that data rates are .05 cents per Kilobyte when you are outside your home 'area'!!!! WHAT???? This is impossible as the data rates would be astronomical @.05/KB.

Has anyone been charged for data (on any smartphone) outside their 'home' area?
  • Reply 70 of 87
    prince1prince1 Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Thanks for messing up the thread with a Rogers advertisement. Perhaps you work for them?

On the internet however, there is this thing called a "link" that you might consider using instead.

If you don't like it, don't read it! I included it provide the facts of what rogers is has said for those who argue and make unfactual comments without bothering to click a link! Cheers to you for being one to click a link!
  • Reply 71 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

I think the only way I can afford this is to go voice-only.

My only question would be: is it possible to disable the "data" feature so I can only access via WiFi to avoid data charges?

I hear it is possible by disabling 3G AND deleting edge settings, but thats only rumour.
  • Reply 72 of 87
    If they tell me that, since I've replaced 2 phones in the last year and half, I guarantee I'll be upto a supervisor, and if they REFUSE, I'll inform them that effective immediately I'm cancelling my $175 a month account of 8 years.
  • Reply 73 of 87
    theatretheatre Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tulkas View Post

you are probably right. It is probably a response to the media attention, the complaints and to the bell and telus offers. But, i would suggest there is a strong possibility it will become a permanent offer and they introduced it as a promo as a face saving measure. They might have thought it would look bad to completely scrap the original plans right away.

what this signature about jewish means???????
  • Reply 74 of 87
    theatretheatre Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

You are probably right. It is probably a response to the media attention, the complaints and to the Bell and Telus offers. But, I would suggest there is a strong possibility it will become a permanent offer and they introduced it as a promo as a face saving measure. They might have thought it would look bad to completely scrap the original plans right away.

tonton: ""Ooh, I'm Jewish, I'm such a victim. I'm so oppressed. Anti-semitism is everywhere."

Whine, whine."

what does this signature on tulka's note means???
  • Reply 75 of 87
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theatre View Post

what this signature about jewish means???????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theatre View Post

tonton: ""Ooh, I'm Jewish, I'm such a victim. I'm so oppressed. Anti-semitism is everywhere."

Whine, whine."

what does this signature on tulka's note means???

LOL First two posts dedicated to finding out the riddle of the Sphinx. Judging by the grammar of the first post he probably doesn't understand the signature and is on the verge of making accusations of epithets.
  • Reply 76 of 87
    dzigndzign Posts: 27member
    Boynton said existing price plans for the iPhone will go back into effect Sept. 1.

?What we?re trying to do is satisfy a very small group of people, the early adopters,? he said. ?When those customers are done, we?re back to our basic user.?

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/457180
  • Reply 77 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

No. It means you can use ANY of Rogers' existing voice plans, and add the 6 GB data plan for $30 per month.

To use my current plan as an example, that would be:

$25 - voice

$11 - conventional voicemail + Caller ID value package

$6.95 - system access fee (really should be rolled into the "voice" category above, but Rogers doesn't swing that way)

$0.50 - 911 fee

$0.43 - Nova Scotia government 911 fee

$30 - 6 GB data

------

73.88 per month. Will not include visual voicemail, which will probably only exist in conjunction with the iPhone value plans.

Also does not include 13% sales tax.

I just talked to a Rogers rep and he indicated that the new $30 fee is ONLY for data. That is, no texting and no VV. The real kicker is that no voice plan at $30 or below is eligible either, so the voice plans start at $40 for 250 min. So here is the pricing if you don't want to use one of the exisiting voice & data packages:

$40 for (250 min.)

$30 for data (6 GB)

$8 for visual voicemail

$15 for caller ID & 2,500 texts

$6.95 for SAF

$0.50 for 911

+GST

Total of $105.47/month for 36 months to use the iPhone as intended without using the existing voice & data packages with Rogers.

Not a deal at all.
  • Reply 78 of 87
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A Miller View Post

I just talked to a Rogers rep and he indicated that the new $30 fee is ONLY for data. That is, no texting and no VV. The real kicker is that no voice plan at $30 or below is eligible either, so the voice plans start at $40 for 250 min. So here is the pricing if you don't want to use one of the exisiting voice & data packages:

$40 for (250 min.)

$30 for data (6 GB)

$8 for visual voicemail

$15 for caller ID & 2,500 texts

$6.95 for SAF

$0.50 for 911

+GST

Total of $105.47/month for 36 months to use the iPhone as intended without using the existing voice & data packages with Rogers.

Not a deal at all.

I thin kit is a good deal for existing customers, in their upgrade window that have a good, inclusive voice package that is $35. I happen to not be in any of those criteria. I am not in an upgrade window and have a good package, but it is $30/month. To 'upgrade' to a $35 package to be eligible, I would lose features since mine is an older plan that included things like call display, voice mail etc. I had hoped to just add $30 for the data and consider the $8 for VVM later. But, as with the original iPhone plans they had, it looks like I will loose feaures by switch plans and my plans will increase in cost.

Guess I may not be getting one for a while.
  • Reply 79 of 87
    What ever happened to that $20.00 unlimited plan that was announced?
  • Reply 80 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisMTL View Post

What ever happened to that $20.00 unlimited plan that was announced?

Isn't that still in effect for "selected phones", per the article you linked? If I recall correctly it's only unlimited for those specific phones and only when using Rogers portal for selected apps and sites. A sign that this would not be available for the iPhone is that it states it's not available for the BB.