Rogers to offer Canadians limited time $30 6GB iPhone 3G data plan

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Isn't the data plan for data over the cell network?

Wi-Fi doesn't count in this, correct?

I don't think the can or will charge you for wifi data, except for using their wifi HotSpots.
  • Reply 42 of 87
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Tulkas,

Do you care to explain your signature quote?
  • Reply 43 of 87
    megawattmegawatt Posts: 35member
    I was wondering if anyone has looked into buying an unlocked iPhone 3G and using their existing Rogers SIM card with it, and signing up for the $30 promo data plan.

I came across this link from timtechs.ca but I have never heard of this company.

Here is the response I got back from timtechs:

Quote:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Please note we are unable to give an estimated listing date or price on the iPhone 3G.

Apple is releasing the model on July 11 so we would expect to be able to offer the device shortly thereafter.

It will be unlocked to work on all GSM carriers worldwide including ATT, TMobile, Fido and Rogers.

Please take the price listed on the website as a guide only we will be unable to give an exact price until the model is officially available. We recommend if you are interested in this model that you click the green 'add to wishlist' button on the model page and you will be notified when stock becomes available: http://www.timtechs.com/apple_iphone...ed_prd113.html

Kind Regards,

Daniel Gill

TimTechs Team

www.timtechs.com

Toll free: (866) 261 8748

Phone: (302) 355 3561

• Reply 44 of 87
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 585member
    I think the only way I can afford this is to go voice-only.

My only question would be: is it possible to disable the "data" feature so I can only access via WiFi to avoid data charges?
  • Reply 45 of 87
    stormchildstormchild Posts: 104member
    Like this changes anything.

It's still a massive ripoff, and I still don't know anyone planning to buy an iPhone in Canada.

Fuck you Rogers.
  • Reply 46 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Like this changes anything.

It's still a massive ripoff, and I still don't know anyone planning to buy an iPhone in Canada.

Fuck you Rogers.

Do other Canadian carriers offer 6GB for $30? I think some people are just never satisfied or need something to complain about.
  • Reply 47 of 87
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Congrats to our northern neighbors! Although it looks like they are just trying to pacify the early adopters and then revert back to the original plans after August 31st --- thus screwing all the "normal" people who don't know any better. My god, Rogers is so SLEAZY! If they really were interested in providing better value, they would have just tripled their existing plans data allotment!
  • Reply 48 of 87
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Tulkas,

Do you care to explain your signature quote?

Just something someone posted here. I thought others should be aware of his feelings, but took it out of my posts.
  • Reply 49 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Congrats to our northern neighbors! Although it looks like they are just trying to pacify the early adopters and then revert back to the original plans after August 31st --- thus screwing all the "normal" people who don't know any better. My god, Rogers is so SLEAZY! If they really were interested in providing better value, they would have just tripled their existing plans data allotment!

Based on the data charges you posted yesterday, this will certainly push people to the iPhone, though I'd try to buy one outright before signing up for a 36-month plan.
  • Reply 50 of 87
    dzigndzign Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

I think the only way I can afford this is to go voice-only.

My only question would be: is it possible to disable the "data" feature so I can only access via WiFi to avoid data charges?

I've been told that they can disable it on their end..

--->

As for the new rate it isn't clear at all like all their offers; what's on the table...

Is this offer just for a month and then you get sucked back to normal rates ?

Or is just available to the early scukers..

Looks like it doesn't include visual voice mail +8$

Looks like it doesn't include text message +8$

Looks like it doesn't include call display +8$

Looks to me like a PR fast one...

An acceptable plan would be:

60$

500 minutes anytime in Canada

Unlimited data

all included (voice mail, call display etc.)

One year contract

Everyone eligible

Simple and effective
  • Reply 51 of 87
    ronkronk Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do other Canadian carriers offer 6GB for $30? I think some people are just never satisfied or need something to complain about.

The 6GB for $30 is a pretty good deal as I think only an extremely heavy user would go over that. What steams me is that it looks like I have to sign a 3 year contract to get it. What if I want to use an unlocked 2.5G iphone or another smartphone I already own? Do I have to sign my life away to Rogers for 3 years to get that data package? I thought the whole point of a contract was to make you pay off their subsidy on the handset itself? What if you have a handset already?

That and the fact they nickel and dime us for all the other little features and also tack on the bogus SAF and 911 fee.
  • Reply 52 of 87
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RonK View Post

The 6GB for $30 is a pretty good deal as I think only an extremely heavy user would go over that. What steams me is that it looks like I have to sign a 3 year contract to get it. What if I want to use an unlocked 2.5G iphone or another smartphone I already own? Do I have to sign my life away to Rogers for 3 years to get that data package? I thought the whole point of a contract was to make you pay off their subsidy on the handset itself? What if you have a handset already?

Rogers policy is that if you make any change to your current price plan mid-stream, you are automatically committing to a contract extension of up to 3 years. The variety of plans available to choose from may vary depending on the duration of the contract extension you're willing to commit to. It seems to me that this $30/6GB data plan will just be one of those things you can only get if you commit to a 3-year extension.
  • Reply 53 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post

I just called Rogers customer service, and the rep was unaware of the new $30 data plan promotion, so it hasn't quite filtered through their lines of communication. I'm a current Rogers wireless customer, and have 1 year left on my current contract.

The current upgrade prices for me are:

8GB iPhone - $299 (after $50 mail in rebate)

16GB iPhone - $399 (after $50 mail in rebate)

I called Rogers. No information at customer service, got sent up to customer relations.

What I learned is:

First: It is impossible for me to upgrade to an iPhone AT ANY PRICE! I will have to wait until the end of the year to become eligible. No exceptions! (I replaced a broken phone late last year and reset the clock in spite of assurances that this would not be the case). Customer Relations told me that "this is a good thing because the iPhone is new and might break." Guess they've never used Apple products and don't know about warrantees?

Second: I can't add an iPhone data plan to my voice plan because it is a family plan and you can't have an iPhone on a family plan. So its not as simple as "add a $30 data plan to your existing voice plan."

I've been with Rogers for >10 years, some months my cell bill looks like my mortgage payment, but still no customer service - just customer relations.
  • Reply 54 of 87
    ronkronk Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Rogers policy is that if you make any change to your current price plan mid-stream, you are automatically committing to a contract extension of up to 3 years. The variety of plans available to choose from may vary depending on the duration of the contract extension you're willing to commit to. It seems to me that this $30/6GB data plan will just be one of those things you can only get if you commit to a 3-year extension.

Okay, but that does not really address my point. They charge $X for service per month which presumably covers their costs to provide said service plus some profit (or alot of profit in some cases). Now with most phones there is a no-contract price which I assume covers the full cost of the phone and then there are subsidized prices depending on the length of the contract. The longer you sign for, the more they will profit from the accumulated monthly fees and the more they will subsidize the phone as they can recoup the larger subsidy over time and presumably still also make a profit via the monthly fees? Correct me if I am wrong so far.

So, if I have my own phone that Rogers has not subsidized then why can I not sign up for the same service on a month to month basis? They will still make a profit on the monthly charges and they have not had to subsidize my handset. Why can I not have the same plan without a long term contract if I provide my own handset?
  • Reply 55 of 87
    katastroffkatastroff Posts: 103member
    Quote:

Why can I not have the same plan without a long term contract if I provide my own handset?

• Reply 56 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RonK View Post

Okay, but that does not really address my point. They charge $X for service per month which presumably covers their costs to provide said service plus some profit (or alot of profit in some cases). Now with most phones there is a no-contract price which I assume covers the full cost of the phone and then there are subsidized prices depending on the length of the contract. The longer you sign for, the more they will profit from the accumulated monthly fees and the more they will subsidize the phone as they can recoup the larger subsidy over time and presumably still also make a profit via the monthly fees? Correct me if I am wrong so far.

So, if I have my own phone that Rogers has not subsidized then why can I not sign up for the same service on a month to month basis? They will still make a profit on the monthly charges and they have not had to subsidize my handset. Why can I not have the same plan without a long term contract if I provide my own handset?

Rogers simply doesn't offer any attractive month-to-month data plans except for the $7 WAP service. Why? I guess the only answer I can give you is, they don't want to.

It appears that Rogers accounts for repayment of any phone subsidies exclusively through the income it receives from its voice plans. Any data plans you enroll in are just icing on the cake for them.

Rogers does have month-to-month voice plans available in both prepaid and postpaid formats, but they don't push them aggressively, probably because they prefer the security of a long-term guaranteed revenue stream. None of their most attractive deals (like $20 MY5) are available unless you commit to a multi-year contract.
  • Reply 57 of 87
    lordeaglelordeagle Posts: 22member
    I'm still disgusted with Robers (whoops, I meant Rogers... or not). I moved to Canada from (Western) Europe...Canada's great, but Rogers is a real shame to this country.

In France/Belgium, here's what you ALWAYS get for free:

-Called ID (Rogers has to go ahead and turn that thing OFF on the account, it doesn't cost a thing).

-Unlimited incoming calls (as long as you're not roaming of course)

-Unlimited incoming texts (with the Belgian carriers, you can be roaming to the US and incoming texts are still free...which makes sense because users can't say no to incoming texts like they can for calls).

This means that your cheap-ass teenager with a pay-as-you-go SIM card, with 0 euros left on it, can still receive texts, receive calls (e.g parents can always call their kids and find out where they are, etc.)... and EVERYBODY gets caller id.

And of course no System Access Fee.

When THAT is put in action in Canada (heck even the US), then and only then will I consider North America on par with other developed countries in terms of wireless!
  • Reply 58 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lordeagle View Post

I'm still disgusted with Robers (whoops, I meant Rogers... or not). I moved to Canada from (Western) Europe...Canada's great, but Rogers is a real shame to this country.

In France/Belgium, here's what you ALWAYS get for free:

-Called ID (Rogers has to go ahead and turn that thing OFF on the account, it doesn't cost a thing).

-Unlimited incoming calls (as long as you're not roaming of course)

-Unlimited incoming texts (with the Belgian carriers, you can be roaming to the US and incoming texts are still free...which makes sense because users can't say no to incoming texts like they can for calls).

The later two are N. American standards.
  • Reply 59 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The later two are N. American standards.

To be completely transparent, Bell and Telus only just changed their policy and started charging for incoming texts earlier this month. So for the Canadian marketplace, it is Bell and Telus that are charting unprecedented waters here.

Rogers currently offers unlimited incoming mobile-to-mobile texts from any domestic network, on every account in good standing, and hasn't announced any plans to change that policy.

Regarding caller ID, with Rogers you don't pay any extra for it on any of their PAYG plans - it's one of those paradoxical situations where Rogers seems to actually be punishing their customers for signing up for a contract.
  • Reply 60 of 87
    lordeaglelordeagle Posts: 22member
    I *was* referring to the news that Bell & Telus will start to charge for incoming texts.

The "journalist" from CTV (who just asked for comment from Bell/Telus but didn't have an actual conversation with them) asked why that was and their answer was oh soo dumb: "basically because people are texting more than before". That's a fact, but since people sending the texts are paying for them already... I don't get their point. Plus you'd think after years of their system in place, that texting would be a commodity on the network. I mean common, texting doesn't need QoS, texting isn't affected by latency or jitter or w.e else that's important for voice.

@solipsism: that may be true with plans but not PAYG. Last time I was in the US, I had a prepaid ATT card, and every time any of my friends (in the US) would phone me up, it'd use my credit (just as much as if I'd made the call myself). When I ran out of credit, I couldn't receive calls anymore....