Apple's MobileMe push service now live

Comments

• Reply 121 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Football View Post

This is a huge thing for Apple to pull off. I am not a bit surprised that it is taking a while to get this going. We are all going to be very fortunate to have this when it does get straightened out.

Please write on the chalkboard ten thousand times "thank you for me.com Apple, thank you Apple, thank you Apple etc..."

I have not had access to e-mail since June 30th and they keep telling me it would be fixed in 24 hours. This is the worse migration for a major product I have ever experienced. Incompetence beyond acceptable!!
  • Reply 122 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Football View Post

Yup, I see that it sucks hard for the moment and fortunately will be great hopefully sometime soon. My friend just called to tell me he had sent his mortgage broker and ultimatum email yesterday that he would find another mortgage company if his loan wasn't squared away by this morning (it's taken waaaay too long) and now he can't get his emails!!!

My lack of response to a recruiter due to Apple's MobileMe idiocy and lack of real support has now cost me a job. They assumed that since I did not respond to an e-mail I was not interested and they went with someone else. I have been without e-mail since June 30th, and all I get is it will be operational in 24 hours.
  • Reply 123 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kulpeter View Post

I understand all the inconvenience. If there is something crucial, I would suggest to have another account (like gMail) temporarily pick up the .mac account mail.

For gMail, while in the app, goto settings and add another account. Takes only a couple of minutes and voila. Turn it off when done.

Yes, Apple could have done this better. But there are always options.

I could not get access to my preferences since June 30th to have all my e-mails forwarded. I can't believe the lack of complacency among the folks here. Apple is more than happy to take your money and most of the people on this site accepts this as normal hoping for some Nirvana at the end.
  • Reply 124 of 146
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    So it looks like the MobileMe online apps are finally working (although for some reason my calendars aren't showing up). But all of the "content" web pages (photo galleries, the old .Mac Groups pages, and our old .Mac home pages) are still unavailable. As best I can tell, the intent is for those to be still part of MobileMe (except you can no longer create new Groups...bummer). Hopefully they will be available soon. The photo Gallery is the part I used most.
  • Reply 125 of 146
    footballfootball Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drhuntsman View Post

I have not had access to e-mail since June 30th and they keep telling me it would be fixed in 24 hours. This is the worse migration for a major product I have ever experienced. Incompetence beyond acceptable!!

I didn't realize the extent of this mess when I wrote that (my .Mac stuff has been fine all the while). Hopefully they will fix your stuff asap, must be frustrating as hell.
  • Reply 126 of 146
    It appears that the "continue" option (on PC if you don't have Firefox or Safari) is no longer there.

weak ass shite
  • Reply 127 of 146
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

You've been without email since June 30? That's not a problem with migration to mobileme. The migration only started the night of July 9. And during that time you should have access to mail, just not via the web interface. There's something else going on with your account.
  • Reply 128 of 146
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    7:54am PST and still no web apps. They must've really messed something up if it's taking this long.
  • Reply 129 of 146
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    This isn't quite as bad, as when Blackberry's servers go down, but Apple dropped the ball on this launch - last year they had activation issues, which I've read they've had in spurts this year, and MobileMe is up and down...they should give a credit to people that have been without those services, since it's a pay-for-service.
  • Reply 130 of 146
    a/uxa/ux Posts: 38member
    Guys, MobileMe is still not "launched" yet. The Web Apps are up at http://www.me.com/ and everything is working now, but if you go to http://www.apple.com/mobileme it still says "coming soon." There has been no press release and no official launch.

Apple warned that this could be a rough couple of days for existing .Mac users, but we should not confuse that with a "botched launch." You cannot botch that which you have not yet launched.

We are so used to everything Apple working flawlessly that when it takes them a couple of days to complete a complex migration we get all huffy. A week from now this will all be behind us. Let's all keep in mind that regular e-mail services were never down. .Mac Homepage websites were never down. At worst, this is a minor inconvenience not to be able to reach the web apps.

Let's all take a deep breath and enjoy 3G day!
  • Reply 131 of 146
    Well put.

Mail is working fine, my homepage still functions, I can still access my iDisk and I still haven't received the notification mail from Apple that I signed up for (be the first to know). So, it ain't out, yet, and I haven't been hurt in any way.

Apple has likely been hammered since last night (NZ got the phone) and will be hammered all weekend. Nobody should expect things to be zippy for a while.

Oh, and I'm at home playing with my nice black iPhone 3G 16GB!
  • Reply 132 of 146
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    www.apple.com/support/dotmac/ now redirects to

www.apple.com/support/mobileme

...and the page now says MobileMe is now available.

However, I can't log in to me.com (says my username, password are incorrect) and it says I only have 10GB of iDisk space when it should be 20GB. Back To My Mac also appears to be down, although my home computer shows up on my work computer (says "Connection Failed"). iDisk and sync seem to work ok.

UPDATE: as of 11:21am PST I can log in via me.com but it's painfully flow and so far I can only get into some of the sections, others just give me the "down for maintenance" message.
  • Reply 133 of 146
    Still not launched though. They are trying to help .Mac users, but http://www.apple.com/mobileme still says "coming soon."

Web apps, along with everything else, still working fine for me . . .
  • Reply 134 of 146
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Quote:

I could not get access to my preferences since June 30th to have all my e-mails forwarded. I can't believe the lack of complacency among the folks here. Apple is more than happy to take your money and most of the people on this site accepts this as normal hoping for some Nirvana at the end.

You know, I want to care but for some reason I just don't buy this one. You have a .mac account and don't have a Mac with Mail.app with which to use it? You have a .mac account and missed the six week build up to MobileMe? You didn't hear about the iPhone launch taking place somewhere around this time and even though you had time sensitive email coming in you didn't have the slightest inkling there would be an issue? Finally - you were conducting employment negotiations solely through email and a make or break offer was extended without any follow-up from the employer through other channels?

In short: You're full of it.

Also, you were looking for the phrase "I can't believe the complacency among the folks here". A lack of complacency would imply that people would be riled by this slight, once-in-a-decade bump in the road. Clearly most are not bothered by this switch in the slightest. It's a hiccup in a service that runs semi-smoothly to smooth as butter most of the time so the complacency is well earned.

Anyone using any networked service for life-or-death situations without any recourse or back-up is both a fool and underprepared. It's likely you didn't earn many merit badges as a kid. Semper Paratus!
  • Reply 135 of 146
    It is 1:07 PST now and I dare say the MobileMe web apps are approaching "snappy" now. Looks like the doom and gloom are passing already, even before the "official" launch. This thread sure has quieted down as well . . .
  • Reply 136 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

You've been without email since June 30? That's not a problem with migration to mobileme. The migration only started the night of July 9. And during that time you should have access to mail, just not via the web interface. There's something else going on with your account.

Both web mail and my Mail account have been down. I talked to an Apple Expert and they mentioned they were doing some server migration things and that my account must have gotten lost in the shuffle. It was a tough enough problem that they could not pinpoint what was going on.

It has been an emotional up and down.
  • Reply 137 of 146
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Quote:

Both web mail and my Mail account have been down. I talked to an Apple Expert and they mentioned they were doing some server migration things and that my account must have gotten lost in the shuffle. It was a tough enough problem that they could not pinpoint what was going on.

It has been an emotional up and down.

So what you're saying is that your case is unique and not at all indicative of what the rest of us are going through (says the guy who has had uninterrupted email and is looking at MobileMe on two Macs and a PC in front of him).

Welcome to the board, congratulations on your first molehill to mountain conversion. May there be many more!
  • Reply 138 of 146
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    Is it me or is that yousendit kinda send large file feature missing ?

can't seem to find it on me.com or in the tutorial videos etc....

anyone seen it?

cheers
  • Reply 139 of 146
    Hello all,

Can I please ask.. does the web based email have a threaded view? Like gmail uses?

Regards,

Simon
  • Reply 140 of 146
    Anybody else having trouble signing into MobileMe? I go to www.me.com and says Incorrect Username or Password.