Apple's iPhone software v2.0 available early for brave users

Comments

• Reply 61 of 136
    At first I accidently threw away the zip archive - note that re-zipping and renaming the folder doesn't work My iPhone ended up in recover mode.

But when I re-downloaded and retrieved the original file from the trash, all worked fine. It takes a good 10 minutes for the restore to happen and it looks like nothing is happening during a lot of it.

I've downloaded a few free apps (AOL IM, Google, Remote) along with a game (Cro-Mag) and all work fine. MobileMe setup doesn't seem to be available until tomorrow.
  • Reply 62 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wprowe View Post

Noticed a new Contacts application on the Home Screen. Haven't dug deep into it. How does it differ from the Phone application?

I think it's the same Contacts as you access from the Phone, just a shortcut directly there.
  • Reply 63 of 136
    I'm so exciting and can't wait to have my ipod touch to control my musics!!!
  • Reply 64 of 136
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrshermanoaks View Post

I think it's the same Contacts as you access from the Phone, just a shortcut directly there.

I believe it will give you access to your contacts even when you are on the phone. Right now there's no way to look at your contacts while you're on a phone call so it makes it very hard to give someone else someone's phones number, e-mail, address, whatever. It's a small upgrade but I've run into that problem more than once...
  • Reply 65 of 136
    icd-evilicd-evil Posts: 66member
    Awesome, this bricked my phone in a permanent "recovery" state. Fucking great.
  • Reply 66 of 136
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ICD-EVIL View Post

Awesome, this bricked my phone in a permanent "recovery" state. Fucking great.

It's not a big deal, redo the recovery process. I've never heard of an iPhone that has been permanently bricked.
  • Reply 67 of 136
    I did, it won't even recover to the old software. Error 2004.
  • Reply 68 of 136
    Push notification not working on AIM?

If I start a chat and then go to the home screen and some body sends me a message I do not get a notification that i have an IM waiting... Anybody else confirm this.
  • Reply 69 of 136
    Quote:

I did, it won't even recover to the old software. Error 2004.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kguaW0doMWM
  • Reply 70 of 136
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's not a big deal, redo the recovery process. I've never heard of an iPhone that has been permanently bricked.

Agreed. Can you put it in DFU mode?
  • Reply 71 of 136
    jds17jjds17j Posts: 3member
    mail.app doesn't seem to be working for some people after updating to 2.0. It constantly crashes when opened and accounts that were synced cannot be deleted or edited... anyone else experiencing this here??
  • Reply 72 of 136
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I believe it will give you access to your contacts even when you are on the phone. Right now there's no way to look at your contacts while you're on a phone call so it makes it very hard to give someone else someone's phones number, e-mail, address, whatever. It's a small upgrade but I've run into that problem more than once...

Huh? Of course you can look at your contacts while on a phone call. When you pull the phone away from your ear, the panel with "mute", "keypad"..."contacts"...etc. appears. Tap "contacts".
  • Reply 73 of 136
    I have it as far as the screen where it says "itunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode."

But whether I choose the basic recovery with the normal software, of Shift+Click the restore button and use the new 2.0, it just tells me that the phone cannot be restored.

error (5) with the 2.0 software.
  • Reply 74 of 136
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:

I have it as far as the screen where it says "itunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode."

But whether I choose the basic recovery with the normal software, of Shift+Click the restore button and use the new 2.0, it just tells me that the phone cannot be restored.

Stop with the 2.0 and just restore to 1.1.4 and then start over.
  • Reply 75 of 136
    Quote:

You can always call Apple for help. The release has been sent to everyone, but since they have put it up on their public servers they will help you, though I'm not sure if the phone support is still free.

But following their online help should work.
  • Reply 76 of 136
    wprowewprowe Posts: 33member
    I'm wondering something. Can you place the new iPhone OS file in "~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates" and then run a normal "Check for Updates"? iTunes should see the new file, and may do the upgrade? This would prevent needing to hold down the Option key for Check for Updates.

[ UPDATE ]

My brother tried what I proposed and it didn't do what I expected. He had to use Option-Click as per the instruction on the front page.
  • Reply 77 of 136
    granted - it has been online a lot downloading contacts email calendar etc... but I'm still surprised... i finished upgrade about three hours ago - with full battery and now my indicator is red....

Remote works great - Signal is going to be bummed for sure...
  • Reply 78 of 136
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    This is awesome. Super Monkey Ball rocks, AIM/iChat is solid, the remote feature is great with my apple tv, and MySpace mobile and Yellow Pages are handy... I love it.
  • Reply 79 of 136
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Huh? Of course you can look at your contacts while on a phone call. When you pull the phone away from your ear, the panel with "mute", "keypad"..."contacts"...etc. appears. Tap "contacts".

Oh, well huh. Talk about a major oversight! I never even noticed that! Look at me - had my phone over a year and am still finding new things! hahaha
  • Reply 80 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Oh, well huh. Talk about a major oversight! I never even noticed that! Look at me - had my phone over a year and am still finding new things! hahaha

Did you know you can conference up to 6 people with the iPhone?