Piper Jaffray says iPhone 3G's real cost to users: $407

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 153
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Wow!!

The original iPhone was a PURCHASE, yes to use it you had to sign a two year contract. TO USE IT! There was no upgrade eligibility for it. Geez!!

Quote:

Non AT&T subscribers can get a iPhone with a 2 year agreement, but there is no discount. It's $500, $600, or the door. Current subscribers that are out of contract have the same option.Customers currently in contract (based on current consensus) will be able to purchase the iPhone with a contract extension and data subscription. You may or may not be asked for an upgrade processing fee.

Source.

So tell me, how much would I have to pay for the original iPhone if I was not eligible for an upgrade? The same as anyone else. That's how much.

This sounds about right. The original iPhone cost $399 with a two year contract regardless of whether you are eligible for any "discount". The "discount" to applied to your current contract. Obliviously (well not to you), if you are not a ATT customer, ATT will not give you any discount to get out of your non ATT contract. If you are an ATT customer without a contract it wll cost you $399 with a new two year contract. If you are an ATT customer and you're still under contract, ATT may give you a "discount" to get out of your old contract when you sign a new two year contract with the iPhone. It bepends on the contract and how many months you have to go. Which may or may not include a upgrade processing fee. I don't believe there was any discounts given for multiple iPhone purchases for a family plan. I may be wrong on that.

But this is all standard practice done by all carriers for all new contracts. There is nothing special about it because were talking iPhone.
  • Reply 142 of 153
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

This sounds about right. The original iPhone cost $399 with a two year contract regardless of whether you are eligible for any "discount"..

Tecnically, you could get around the contract by either having bad credit or putting in a fake SSN when activating through iTunes. This wasn't an ideal situation for AT&T, but there wasn't any choice since you could buy the handset prior to them checking your credit.
  • Reply 143 of 153
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

The rest of us is saying the the old iPhone WAS subsidized. (And it was common knowledge that it was). And now you seem to agree to that. So the old iPhone was $399 Subsidized (we all now seem to agree on this) and the 3G iPhone is $199 SUBSUDIZED (at least we all always agreed on this). Jobs "advertised" the 3G iPhone is "half the price" of the old iPhone. $199 / $399 = .4987 X 100 = 49.87%. Sounds about right to me. $399 and $199 are subsidized price. Both required a new two year contract. We're now comparing Apples to Apples. So what's the problem?

The old iPhone was subsidized to Apple. So, yes, from that viewpoint it is correct to say that it was, however, from the viewpoint of the customer it wasn't. So what is the problem? The disagreement here is that some say we should have assumed that the price Steve set for the iPhone at the keynote, the same price that was then plastered all over apple.com's front page fast for weeks, we should have assumed that this price was limited to those who are new to AT&T or current customers that qualify for an upgrade.

Now, why would I assume such a thing since the original iPhone wasn't being marketed as such? Did Apple clarify this change? No it did not. This was only brought to light a few days prior to the iPhone 3G launch date. On top of that AT&T now wants to charge for text messaging for a plan that already has a data plan! Am I pissed? You bet I am. And rightly so.
  • Reply 144 of 153
    Quote:

Now, why would I assume such a thing since the original iPhone wasn't being marketed as such? Did Apple clarify this change? No it did not. This was only brought to light a few days prior to the iPhone 3G launch date. On top of that AT&T now wants to charge for text messaging for a plan that already has a data plan! Am I pissed? You bet I am. And rightly so.

The plans were outlined almost a month before the iPhone launch. There is no way for you to go in and get a new iPhone without being made aware. As for the text messaging, that too was noted prior to the release. if you don't like that AT&T now charges the same data rates as it does with all it's other smartphones then don't switch your plan. There are plenty of people who don't want to switch their plans because they are grandfathred into a better deal than what is offered today.

I have absolutely no idea what you are pissed about. I think you'd find just about anything to be unhappy about. Is not AT&T allowed to change rates and plans after a year and for a new device?
  • Reply 145 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Tecnically, you could get around the contract by either having bad credit or putting in a fake SSN when activating through iTunes. This wasn't an ideal situation for AT&T, but there wasn't any choice since you could buy the handset prior to them checking your credit.

And techically you would be breaking the terms of the contract you agreed to when you bought the phone. And theoretically, the iPhone would be usless without an ATT account and activation. So you should have had to return it to Apple for a refund and maybe minus a restocking fee. But hackers unlocked it and got it to work without ATT.
  • Reply 146 of 153
    Quote:

The old iPhone was subsidized to Apple. So, yes, from that viewpoint it is correct to say that it was, however, from the viewpoint of the customer it wasn't. So what is the problem? The disagreement here is that some say we should have assumed that the price Steve set for the iPhone at the keynote, the same price that was then plastered all over apple.com's front page fast for weeks, we should have assumed that this price was limited to those who are new to AT&T or current customers that qualify for an upgrade.

The original iPhone was marketed for $399 with a new two year contract with ATT. With the minimum plan costing $60/month. The 3G iPhone is marketed for $199 with a new two year contract. With the minimum plan costing $70/month. Not everyone went or goes with the minimum plans. Many customers needs more voice minutes, multinedia package, unlimited text, family plans, business plans, etc.

The only thing that changed is the way Apple got you to sign up for the required two year contract. With the old iPhone, you got your contract and activated at home, With the 3G iPhone, you had to get the contract and activated in the store.

And this I believe is the heart of most people gripe about how the 3G iPhone is "marketed", Most grippers ASSUMED that they could get a 3G iPhone for $199 and do the same as last year. That is don't activate it with ATT when they got it home. So for these people, the 3G iPhone is not "half the price" like Jobs stated on his keynote. Thus Jobs is lying.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you state that the $199 price was only for a certain group of people. As far as I know, EVERYONE that signs a NEW two year contract for at least $70/month (voice+data) can ger a 3G iPhone for $199, The cost of getting out of your current contract with ATT or other carrier is not Apples' problem.
  • Reply 147 of 153
    Quote:

I have no idea what you are talking about when you state that the $199 price was only for a certain group of people. As far as I know, EVERYONE that signs a NEW two year contract for at least $70/month (voice+data) can ger a 3G iPhone for $199, The cost of getting out of your current contract with ATT or other carrier is not Apples' problem.

How many times do I have to explain this?

Here's a quote from AT&T, you can see it for yourself here: How much will I pay for iPhone 3G?

Quote:

If you are upgrade eligible and your account is in good standing, you will pay $199 for 8GB (black) and $299 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required.

You have the option to purchase an early upgrade priced at $399 for 8GB (black) or $499 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required.

Being that I'm not "upgrade eligible", my cost for the 16GB iPhone 3G will be $499. $200 more! With the original iPhone I did not need be "upgrade eligible". I would have paid the same as everyone else, "upgrade eligible" or not. Get it? My cost at that time was the same as everyone else. I know this because I asked. A few months ago my LG phone cracked, I needed to get a new one but knew the iPhone 3G was coming. I needed a phone, so I asked, what happens when I want to get the iPhone? He said I could get it any time without having to be upgrade eligible for it. At that time it was true. Get it?

The iPhone 3G is launched and AT&T changes the rules. Get it?

Furthermore, here's something else that lovely AT&T is telling me:

Quote:

You can take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option, with the exception of iPhone which requires a 2-year commitment.This line may be eligible for an equipment discount on xx/xx/20xx

• Reply 148 of 153
    Quote:

How many times do I have to explain this?

Here's a quote from AT&T, you can see it for yourself here: How much will I pay for iPhone 3G?

"$199 for 8GB (black) and $299 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required. "

Just like we've been saying.

the real question is why aren't you upgrade eligible? Did you not know that an iPhone 3G was not coming out this year?
  • Reply 149 of 153

You don't listen do you? Your question is answered above.
  • Reply 150 of 153
    Quote:

You don't listen do you? Your question is answered above.

When I made my post that text about poor assumption was not there.

Quote:

I know this because I asked. A few months ago my LG phone cracked, I needed to get a new one but knew the iPhone 3G was coming. I needed a phone, so I asked, what happens when I want to get the iPhone? He said I could get it any time without having to be upgrade eligible for it. At that time it was true.

First of all, it wasn't true then. A few months ago no one new when the iPhone was coming. No one one new the pricing or eligibility or even if was going to be 3G. Sure, we suspected many things, but there was no proof. Your decision to buy a new subsidized phone from AT&T knowing that that are giving a hundreds of dollars off the retail price is your mistake when you could have bought a cheap phone with no subsidization at the store on Craig's List/eBay. You took a chance and lost. The sour grapes routine only shows your bitterness at making the wrong choice. Your argument that a $7/hr retail employee had insider info on an Apple product whose only info was that Jobs said in January 2007 that a 3G version was coming in 2008 is weak.
  • Reply 151 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

First of all, it wasn't true then. A few months ago no one new when the iPhone was coming. No one one new the pricing or eligibility or even if was going to be 3G. Sure, we suspected many things, but there was no proof. Your decision to buy a new subsidized phone from AT&T knowing that that are giving a hundreds of dollars off the retail price is your mistake when you could have bought a cheap phone with no subsidization at the store on Craig's List/eBay. You took a chance and lost. The sour grapes routine only shows your bitterness at making the wrong choice. Your argument that a $7/hr retail employee had insider info on an Apple product whose only info was that Jobs said in January 2007 that a 3G version was coming in 2008 is weak.

What are you talking about? The iPhone has been around for over 1 year! What are you talking about man?!

You didn't have to be upgrade eligible to get the iPhone. There was no discount. That's what's changed. They changed the rules of the game midstream. Had I known that I would be getting a discount if I was upgrade eligible I wouldn't have signed another 2 year contract when I did. I signed another two year contract because: 1) My phone was broken and I need a new one. 2) Because it would have made no difference. At that time the iPhone's cost was the same mid contract or not. I could have walked in 2 months later have purchase the iPhone at cost, no penalty, no extra charge. Now you are telling me that I should have foreseen this? That I'm stupid for not knowing better? What is the matter with you?
  • Reply 152 of 153
    Quote:

What are you talking about? The iPhone has been around for over 1 year! What are you talking about man?!

You didn't have to be upgrade eligible to get the iPhone. There was no discount. That's what's changed. They changed the rules of the game midstream. Had I known that I would be getting a discount if I was upgrade eligible I wouldn't have signed another 2 year contract when I did. I signed another two year contract because: 1) My phone was broken and I need a new one. 2) Because it would have made no difference. At that time the iPhone's cost was the same mid contract or not. I could have walked in 2 months later have purchase the iPhone at cost, no penalty, no extra charge. Now you are telling me that I should have foreseen this? That I'm stupid for not knowing better? What is the matter with you?

Quote:

You have the option to purchase an early upgrade priced at $399 for 8GB (black) or $499 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required.

So according to you, it will cosr you $399 for the 3G iPhone (8g). There is no discount because you are not upgrade eligible, Well, that;s the same price that ATT was going to charge you for the old iPhone with no discount. ATT didn;t disvoint the old iPhone because they weren't the one subsidizing it. The old iPhone was $399 with no discount and the 3G iPhone is $399 with no discounr. Nothing's changed.

The $199 price requires you to sign a NEW two year qualifing contract, And EVERYONE that signs a NEW two year contract will get the 3G iPhone for $199.

It doesn't matter what rules you perceived ATT changed on you with regards to the iPhone. The one rule that they didn't change was that there was no way in Hell that they would let you off the hook for a subsidized phone after only 2 months into your new conract. That's what you should have foreseen. 6 months would be the minimum to become eligible for a discoint and there would most likely be an upgrade processing fee involved. And you would have to sign a NEW two year contract.
  • Reply 153 of 153
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    I've got to say that I have never, ever seen one policy that has gotten so many people riled up.

My own Verizon phone failed on June 20, just a week and some before the July 11 launch. I went into an AT&T store, explained that I needed to port my phone number, get a new phone, and oh by the way I intend to purchase an iPhone 3G the day it is available.

In my case, I was told by several here that 1) I would not get the discounted price on an iPhone 3G. 2) They only way I could get the lower price was to return the AT&T phone I had just purchased. And 3) No matter what I did, it would be costly.

Funny thing is - none of that happened. I got the iPhone 3G 16GB Black for $299. I activated it in the store and ported my number. I still have the other AT&T phone, etc. So, if you want to play the "details" game, it cost me $36 more to get the new iPhone (cost to activate) that will show up on my August AT&T bill.

How did I accomplish this? Simple. I called AT&T over a dozen times, making notes as to date, time and whom I spoke with. The night before the launch I called once more, asking for a manager or supervisor, then going up the line again and again until I finally got a "Yes, we can do that."

Simple.