Server problems spoil Apple's iPhone 3G launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 127
    one day everything will be perfect.....the grass will be cut a perfect 3/4's of an inch twice a week above your grave!
  • Reply 42 of 127
    sulli32sulli32 Posts: 1member
    I would bet even if Apple predicted it would have server issues, they decided not to fix it. It might make first day buyers upset, but it makes a very good news story. Lots of free advertising.

I usually see more launch articles about shortages, server issue, etc then articles about launches with no problems and more than enough product to go around.
  • Reply 43 of 127
    Sure this iPhone rollout is bad, but what about AI's grammar mistake?

Quote:

Thousands of new iPhone 3G buyers around the world are stuck Friday with iPhone's that aren't able to make calls...

Mr. H?
  • Reply 44 of 127
    nufsaidnufsaid Posts: 3member
    I downloaded 2.0 yesterday and no problems at all. This is so typical of any opening of any event, store, or the beginning of a holiday rush. It's not much different than shopping the day after Thanksgiving. Should Apple be omnipotent? I hope not. Should they have re-thought this? I wish. I guess it shows that on one hand the iPhone and Apple's products are a raving success, even though their launch day was not.
  • Reply 45 of 127
    skottichanskottichan Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

I am afraid that Apple has followed Microsoft's idiotic path on that one.

Microsoft tried to save "tens" of millions of dollars by designing the chipset themselves (which they have no expertise in) --- cost them a billion dollars in the long run.

Apple just bought a chipset company (mainly for their engineers) --- I can just see them trying to save "ten" of millions of dollars by designing the chipset themselves.

wait... what?

the 360 uses a IBM PowerPC setup, it's the PS3 that uses it's own proprietary processor system.
  • Reply 46 of 127
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

2008 is the year when Apple F**ked up virtually everything, from delivering less iPhone features than expected, to Mobile-Me launch problems, to major Leopard 10.5.3 problems, to the embarrassing ongoing Leopard Server problems, and now to this iTunes overload problem during their big iPhone release.

I don't know what's going on, but since Apple has gotten into the iPhone market their Macs and their Quality Control has taken a stupendous hit. Gosh I don't remember Microsoft having that much bad-luck all at once!

Uh, did Apple announce iPhone 3G specs before it was introduced.

I don't think so.

No, MS maybe has not had that much happen at one.

They just spread it over many years time.

Vista?
  • Reply 47 of 127
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Hey! Chillout, that was very inappropriate. FYI I've been an Apple user since 1980.

If that's the case, you must know that the company has screwed up many other years far worse than this.
  • Reply 48 of 127
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Have you notice that the camera app is much slower now after the update?

K

Yep. I wonde if it has something to do with "geotagging" and determining your location? (Though I turned "Location Services" OFF and the camera didn't load any faster.

Steve
  • Reply 49 of 127
    I agree with that there may have been some poor planning with the release schedule. I work for a utility that recently implemented a new online billing application and we spent months planning and testing and our servers only barely made it through the first 12 hours. We have about 300,000 online customers. Trust me it is very difficult know exactly how your servers/process will hold up under exterme conditions.

So I think screwed up is alittle harsh.
  • Reply 50 of 127
    .:r2thet.:r2thet Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdginky View Post

I have been purchasing Apple products since 1991. My first Mac was a Classic. I purchased a new iMac when they were recently refreshed. I received two faulty iMacs in a row that I had to return and the third I had to reinstall the OS before it worked correctly. My iPhone 1.0 is only seven months old and is already having battery problems. Today's release of iPhone 2.0 has been a failure to say the least. My concern is that this may be Apple's new way of operating and it reminds me too much of many of the Windows compatible products. Just thinking out loud.

And I bought 2 cubes 5 years ago(used). Have purchased 2 eMacs, 1 iMac, 4 iPods(of various generations), and a MacBook this last January. We have both had 1rst generation iPhones since the end of last summer. Have not had a single issue with any of these products.

Apple just tried to squeeze too much in at once. The 2.0 software should have been available to the legacy crowd first like last week or something. That would have solved the whole issue of today, unless something else is going on that Apple isn't talking about.
  • Reply 51 of 127
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

wait... what?

the 360 uses a IBM PowerPC setup, it's the PS3 that uses it's own proprietary processor system.

We are not talking about the CPU, there are a million other chips on the xbox 360 board.

Read this eetimes article about how Microsoft "tried" to save tens of millions, but actually cost them a billion dollars extra.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=208403010

I am afraid that Apple is following Microsoft's idiotic path.
  • Reply 52 of 127
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Jobs needs to make a statement saying something to the effect that they acknowledge the problem and will fix it as soon as possible.

Damage control sooner than later...or else the press, and RIM will have a field day, if they aren't already.
  • Reply 53 of 127
    Quote:

Hey! Chillout, that was very inappropriate. FYI I've been an Apple user since 1980.

Oh, geez. Using an Apple ][ in grade school because you had to doesn't make you an Apple user. When did you first DECIDE to start using Apple products ... and pay for them? That's the question.
  • Reply 54 of 127
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjgienapp View Post

I agree with that there may have been some poor planning with the release schedule. I work for a utility that recently implemented a new online billing application and we spent months planning and testing and our servers only barely made it through the first 12 hours. We have about 300,000 online customers. Trust me it is very difficult know exactly how your servers/process will hold up under exterme conditions.

So I think screwed up is alittle harsh.

Well put. You bring a statement to the table that most people have not thought about. I've been in your shoes before (not quite the 300,000 online customers) and you?re darn right about not expecting the unexpected. Scary as hell not knowing what?s going to happen and you are the man or women with all the answers to all the questions you don?t know the answers to. Man, so many folks don?t get it because they haven?t been there. I say, just wait a week and life will be back to normal and a lot of folks will be happy with there new iPhone. Again, great post.
  • Reply 55 of 127
    Quote:

2008 is the year when Apple F**ked up virtually everything, from delivering less iPhone features than expected, to Mobile-Me launch problems, to major Leopard 10.5.3 problems, to the embarrassing ongoing Leopard Server problems, and now to this iTunes overload problem during their big iPhone release.

I don't know what's going on, but since Apple has gotten into the iPhone market their Macs and their Quality Control has taken a stupendous hit. Gosh I don't remember Microsoft having that much bad-luck all at once!

Ok, so according to you Apple sucks. Fine, the Windows world is certainly the other option.
  • Reply 56 of 127
    I wonder what it is about the activation process that makes it scale so poorly. Of course, any time you get hundreds of thousands of people all trying to do something at once, it will cause issues, but like others, I'm really baffled AT&T and Apple didn't anticipate this.

I wonder if it is something to do with iTunes having to access information in AT&T's databases -- either the systems on AT&T's side can't handle the load, or there is something in the interface between iTunes and the backend systems of AT&T that is broken or unable to scale.

I hope more technical details beyond "too many people hitting the servers!" emerges in the next few days, because there's no sugar-coating what a train wreck this has been. Forcing in-store activation was certainly a major culprit, along with the global launch and having iphone 1.0 users all upgrading at once.

They should have found a way to do this without cutting off people's phone service -- I think that is really what got people steamed. If you can't upgrade right away, fine...but don't let people upgrade in a half-assed way and then lose their phone service. I was able to upgrade to 2.0 this morning, but I lost service for two hours, and my current app sync is broken (I can download apps on the phone, but when I sync with the computer, I get error messages and suddenly the apps don't work any more).

When everything works, it's pretty cool -- watching videos on MLB, playing the new glitzy games, listening to the numerous radio stations...but there is some damage control Apple is going to have to engage in over the next week.
  • Reply 57 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdginky View Post

I have been purchasing Apple products since 1991. My first Mac was a Classic. I purchased a new iMac when they were recently refreshed. I received two faulty iMacs in a row that I had to return and the third I had to reinstall the OS before it worked correctly. My iPhone 1.0 is only seven months old and is already having battery problems. Today's release of iPhone 2.0 has been a failure to say the least. My concern is that this may be Apple's new way of operating and it reminds me too much of many of the Windows compatible products. Just thinking out loud.

If everyone were having those kind of problems, the phrase "it just works" wouldn't exist. Sounds like you've had some bad luck, but it's hardly fair extrapolate that experience upon the entire company. I've purchased several Macs through the years, 2 iPhones and a slew of routers and gadgets and have NEVER had any problems.
  • Reply 58 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkfeend View Post

Sure this iPhone rollout is bad, but what about AI's grammar mistake?

Mr. H?

Oh, the horror.
  • Reply 59 of 127
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DestructoTex View Post

If everyone were having those kind of problems, the phrase "it just works" wouldn't exist. Sounds like you've had some bad luck, but it's hardly fair extrapolate that experience upon the entire company. I've purchased several Macs through the years, 2 iPhones and a slew of routers and gadgets and have NEVER had any problems.

I was thinking the same thing. I guess there will always be "bad apples" at sometime or another (sorry). I've just not had many problems with my Apple products. And they have been much more stable that the other platform that I have used.

(Excuse me waiter, can I get another cool aid, thanks). Just kidding. I prefer Scotch.
  • Reply 60 of 127
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Yet, once again Apple has underestimated the success of it's products. Almost every product launch is soured by underestimation, whether it's running out of a product too soon, or their servers are overloaded because of the launch of the iTunes Music store, or something else.

You would think that they had learned by now.