Server problems spoil Apple's iPhone 3G launch

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 127
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I do think that this mess entitles me to a wave of the activation fee, as they could not activate the damn thing for hours.

This sounds about right to me. I hate activation fees anyway (it should be included in the price if it is not an extra service) but if they can't activate it for a day then it seems ridiculous to still charge you.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who must be on the cutting edge and then complain when they get nicked, but this remedy sounds acceptable to me.
  • Reply 122 of 127
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Yes, except everybody knows that AT&T didn't subsidize the first generation iPhone. That was what was so revolutionary about the sales model and what allowed you to bring the phone with you to activate.

Yep, and because of that, AT&T should be letting anyone with an iPhone Gen 1 to get the iPhone 3G for $199, and that's what they are doing right?

Quote:

Under Apple's old sales model, it probably didn't care that much if people bought phones and then unlocked them. It made its traditional profit margins off the sale of the device even if people didn't activate the phone with AT&T. Sales in the US though stalled, in part, for what people believed to be the high cost of the device.

Nope, you are mistaken. A large portion of the revenue from the first iPhone went to Apple in the form of revenue sharing from AT&T based upon users 24-month contracts, remember?

Quote:

Apple responded by lowering the upfront cost. Now Apple most likely looses money off the sale of the device. AT&T is making up the difference. Apple will not get paid from AT&T unless people sign up for the service contract. So, if Apple sold an unlocked iPhone at the listed prices, Apple would be giving the phone away at a lose.

Moreover, why would anyone buy a $299 iPod Touch, if you could buy a $199 iPhone and jailbreak it? A jailbreaked iPhone, even if you don't use it as a phone, has more abilities then an iPod Touch.

Nope. Apple doesn't lose money on the sale. They are charging AT&T in upwards of $500-$600 for each phone sold, from which AT&T absorbs ~$300 of the upfront cost to sell the device at $199. As far as how the accounting works at Apple retail stores, Apple probably invoices AT&T $500 or whatever per unit every time they sign up a new AT&T contract in their system.

Regarding the Touch vs iPhone, It's NOT $199 to unlock an iPhone. It's $199 in addition to the $175 it costs to cancel the 2-year contract you had to sign when you got the phone.
  • Reply 123 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Regarding the Touch vs iPhone, It's NOT $199 to unlock an iPhone. It's $199 in addition to the $175 it costs to cancel the 2-year contract you had to sign when you got the phone.

There is also the activation fee of $18 for current customers and $36 for new customers, as well as the first month's service fee of $69+taxes. I don't think this is prorated, but I may be wrong.
  • Reply 124 of 127
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is also the activation fee of $18 for current customers and $36 for new customers, as well as the first month's service fee of $69+taxes. I don't think this is prorated, but I may be wrong.

What? The "activation fee" for a new AT&T account is $36? God, that does piss me off. such BS!
  • Reply 125 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

What? The "activation fee" for a new AT&T account is $36? God, that does piss me off. such BS!

Is that not a standard practice and/or rate outside the US?

edit: I just did a quick Google search...
    • Verizon = $35

• Altel = $36

• T-Mobile = $35

• Sprint = $36
  • Reply 126 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Any ideas why only one out of 7 Macs I am running shows the new Me cloud icon in the Preferences panel? Maybe because that is the one the iPhone dock with (that's the wife's Mac)? All the rest still show the dot Mac icon even though all running Mobile Me now. Oh I forgot, my PCs are also showing correct Me icons.

SOLVED!!!

It was because I had set up mobile me several days ago. This prevents the new update to mobile me update. By signing out and in again I get the update and the new icon.
  • Reply 127 of 127
    jimijimi Posts: 2member
    Maybe Apple didn't count on all the iPhone 1.0 users trying to update their software at the same time. They should have let the new buyers have exclusive use of the servers. Oh Well.