iPhone 3G and 2.0 affected by buggy software, sensors, wireless

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 187
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sam Damon View Post

Right now, that seems like the most reasonable solution. Turn off the 3G features while driving through areas which may or may not have 3G, until Apple sorts the software out.

There is a possibility that some issues with 3G signal strength could be an issue with the iPhone firmware but your issue is more likely to be HW related with the antenna in the handset and/or the AT&T towers. Of those, the one that seems to be most lacking is AT&T's 3G coverage area as reports I've read find the antenna strength on the new iPhone as adequate.
  • Reply 182 of 187
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:

So yeah some rough spots but think about this how many other smart phones out there get the sort of support iPhone does? I'd say about zero. Let's face it even a common user can update the iPhone 10 times a year if need be.

It's funny you should say that because from my experience, Nokia at least offer numerous software updates for their products. And I know Sony Ericsson do too. So yes, other smartphones are supported very well indeed.

Quote:

Maybe they shouldn't have opened up the phone to 3rd party folks. Why you ask, because MANY of us, and the writers of magazines, and wall street, WILL blame Apple for shit they aren't really responsible for. Hell the folks who LOVE to pick on Apple are going to have a field day with this

Exactly the same way that I've seen plenty of peeps around here doing with Microsoft and the like. Somehow that dodgey 3rd party driver that makes your PC crash is all Microsoft's fault, so I think it's fair for Apple to take the beating regarding the stability of the apps from the app store.
  • Reply 183 of 187
    richtigrichtig Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Apple seriously needs to slow down its development schedule, and focus on the minutia of making sure everything works very reliably.

Of course, there's no 100% guaranty that a product will be bug-free, but lately, Apple has gotten noticeably sloppy. The iPhone/Mobile Me launch is one example, but Leopard is another poster-child for Apple's tendency to rush a product out before it's truly solid.

Case in point: It's more than 9 months since Leopard's launch, and my RSS feeds in Mail regularly disappear (only to re-appear after a relaunch), and also mysteriously stop updating for days at a time. Plenty of other people have this problem, so I know it's not just me (plus, it happens on the three Macs I have in my house). To go 9 months without a fix for this is just unacceptable.

Also, iDisk synching has partially broken in Leopard. Everytime you change a document on one computer, Leopard gives you a Conflict Resolver dialog box asking you to choose which version--your new version or the iDisk server's older version--to keep. This never happened before; the system used to be smart enough to simply pick the new version.

Anyway, I truly hope this isn't going to become a trend....otherwise, sooner or later, it's going to be very hard to tell the difference between a Mac and a Windows PC....

NetNewsWire works very well on an iMac and a new, improved, version is out for the iPhone

http://www.newsgator.com/Individuals...e/Default.aspx

I have not tried this yet, but it may work better than pushing your feeds to Mail. For a start the Mac version, at least, organizes your feeds in a nice sidebar, making them easy to find.
  • Reply 184 of 187
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    Granted, I am still using an original iPhone but I have been very satisfied with 2.0

Sure I have some apps crash but Safari crashes less and the apps on the whole still work very well and are very interesting to play with

MobileMe has been a disaster for me though. Complete disaster
  • Reply 185 of 187
    qo_qo_ Posts: 37member
    Quote:

A large number of owners observe that the iPhone 2.0 software is suffering from interface lag where the response to a command follows well after the actual input.

I've seen something similar on a 16G 3G. Autolock is enabled (corporate policy). After using VNC and accidentally connecting to a server who's display geometry was set higher than supported, the VNC app hung forcing a phone reset. For the next several hours, it took about 6-10 seconds for each digit of the four-digit unlock PIN to be accepted. After the phone was unlocked, things were fine. Lock the phone again and the same behavior manifested itself.

The phone magically self-medicated, and I've not seen this issue since.
  • Reply 186 of 187
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nike_shoes View Post

I'm planning to buy an iPhone. But before i do that i need to find out if the iphone can view every website just like the one on the computer. Does Safari support all websites including JAVA and flash players. Can i view Youtube and pics and other videos on the Iphone using the interent website? One last thing how long does it take for a page to load?

No Java, no Flash. How long a page takes to load depends on the size of the page and how fast it downloads, two things that vary a lot. If your data signal is weak, you might not see it finish loading.
  • Reply 187 of 187
    hoganhogan Posts: 94member
    The iPhone 3G has some serious issues that need to be acknowledged and addressed by Apple.

German tech mag Area DVD have published a test of the iPhone 3G. They said their device (serial production, not part of a seeding) had major problems maintaining a stable signal even with a 300 meters unobstructed view of the 3G celltowers. But moving inside a bulinding located just 500 meters from the celltower, they could hardly get any 3G signal.

At the same time, their Nokia E61i worked fine, with full bars reception.

This is entirely consistent with all the reports of problems by user after user globally. The iPhone needs an optimal signal in order to perfrom adequately ... as a phone!

This is the report (German, unfortunately):

http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2008/iPhone_3G_01.shtml

Thanks to poster TalTal over on the Apple Support Discussion site.. http://discussions.apple.com/thread....744234#7744234