iPhone 3G jailbreaking tool goes live

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The well-known iPhone Dev Team has released one of the first utilities to jailbreak iPhone 3G and let it run unsanctioned apps, albeit one with more than a few catches.



The group's new Pwnage Tool 2.0 now simplifies the process of removing Apple's restrictions on allowable software for all iPhone models as well as the iPod touch.



What it won't do, however, is unlock iPhone 3G for use with wireless carriers other than those Apple has officially chosen. The different cellular hardware prevents the unlock process for the original device from translating directly to the newer phone. Unlocking is still possible for earlier phones.



The software also breaks backwards compatibility with earlier iPhone and iPod firmware and requires version 2.0 firmware on all of these devices.



Apple has historically been relatively passive in its responses to unlocking tools. While the company warned that its 1.1.1 firmware update risked rendering unlocked iPhones unusable, most other updates haven't created a similar effect and the company has largely kept to thwarting unlocking efforts by patching against security exploits that would also compromise locked devices.



With iPhone 3G, the iPhone maker has primarily relied on controlling the retail experience by requiring that iPhones be activated for a contract in-store, discouraging casual unlocking. The availability of approved third-party apps is also widely believed to curb the demand for jailbreaking and unlocking tools.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I have had no luck with both original and 3G iPhones.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    Those of you that are going to use this, what are your primary reasons for its use?
  • Reply 3 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post


    Those of you that are going to use this, what are your primary reasons for its use?



    1) Allows people with original iPhones to use v2.0 firmware and the Installer.app for non-authorized apps with a non-partnered carrier.



    2) Allows people with 3G iPhones to use v2.0 firmware and the Installer.app for non-authorized apps on the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post


    Those of you that are going to use this, what are your primary reasons for its use?



    I don't have an iPhone or iPod touch, but I am writing apps for them.



    WIth the present app store policy, I can't just post my app for people to test - each of my testers has to get a certificate from me and it gets installed on his phone to deem it an "approved" phone for my app.



    This is a big pain in the ass, to ask your testers to install software that might require a re-load of their device once they are done testing.



    So removing that would help in that it would be just like any other Objective-C app I write; I can just post the executable in any forum and people can download and test it.



    Apple has done several weird things with this app store business. There seems to me to be no reason that I shouldn't be able to upload my app anywhere, have people use it, and then if I want to promote or sell it, pay the $99 and put it on the app store.



    Of course, any friend who is running Xcode with the iPhone OS can connect their device and test my app; but that's a lot to ask of a tester also.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    cmasoncmason Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post


    Those of you that are going to use this, what are your primary reasons for its use?



    I want SSH and Terminal apps at least. So far there's none on the app store. Hopefully these will be coming, otherwise I'll need to jailbreak.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    1) Allows people with original iPhones to use v2.0 firmware and the Installer.app for non-authorized apps with a non-partnered carrier.



    2) Allows people with 3G iPhones to use v2.0 firmware and the Installer.app for non-authorized apps on the iPhone.



    Yes, I know what the Pwnage Tool does, that's not what I'm asking.



    What will people use it for? Let me be a little more clear. With the App store out now, what will people really use a jailbroken iPhone for now? Is there a huge market for the "restricted" apps that Apple wont sell?
  • Reply 7 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post


    I don't have an iPhone or iPod touch, but I am writing apps for them.



    WIth the present app store policy, I can't just post my app for people to test - each of my testers has to get a certificate from me and it gets installed on his phone to deem it an "approved" phone for my app.



    This is a big pain in the ass, to ask your testers to install software that might require a re-load of their device once they are done testing.



    So removing that would help in that it would be just like any other Objective-C app I write; I can just post the executable in any forum and people can download and test it.



    Apple has done several weird things with this app store business. There seems to me to be no reason that I shouldn't be able to upload my app anywhere, have people use it, and then if I want to promote or sell it, pay the $99 and put it on the app store.



    Of course, any friend who is running Xcode with the iPhone OS can connect their device and test my app; but that's a lot to ask of a tester also.



    So, then are you saying that this will be something you will do until the Ad Hoc distribution comes out? Just something to tide you ever until then?
  • Reply 8 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmason View Post


    I want SSH and Terminal apps at least. So far there's none on the app store. Hopefully these will be coming, otherwise I'll need to jailbreak.



    Same here. My iPhone is currently on order via the local AT&T store and when I get it I'm hoping to get an ssh client on it. I would LOVE to not have to jailbreak it just for that but I will if nothing shows up in the app store soon. For the time being I've installed WebShell on a linux box I have access to and it looks like that might give me a poor-man's ssh but it's really not what I want long term.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Good question. I wouldn't risk problems,myself, but one reason to do this is so you can use certain existing apps (and there are some great ones) that aren't yet on the App Store. But it's good to see that previous jailbreak apps are starting to become official iPhone apps. So that reason may not last long.



    Certain kinds of apps may never make it the official App Store though, due to the terms of the SDK, and if you need those apps then it's nice to have the jailbreak option. (Pornography gets cited as an example, but the App Store lets developers rate their game content, and adult content in games is allowed, so I'm not sure that's really the issue.)



    Now, why you'd do this as a DEVELOPER makes less sense to me: build for jailbroken phones and you reach a tiny audience, with a high probability of piracy, and you have to pay for bandwidth, storage, credit card fees and marketing yourself. Build for the official App Store and you reach a massive audience with very good anti-piracy protection, and Apple markets it for you and covers all financial transactions and server/network needs. Plus with the official App Store, users can buy right to their phone and auto-install without being near a computer. On the flipside, jailbreaking does provide a route for beta distribution and testing.



    All of this is NOT the same as unlocking of course:



    Jailbreak = install apps without using the App Store.



    Unlock = sign up for a mobile carrier who does not officially carry the iPhone.



    (But supposedly, unlike with the EDGE iPhone, no other US 3G carrier is compatible with the new iPhone, since only AT&T uses the same 3G network and frequencies as the rest of the world. Plus, if you ditch AT&T, don't expect AT&T to pay for most of your phone up front.)
  • Reply 10 of 86
    cmasoncmason Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iphtashu Fitz View Post


    Same here. My iPhone is currently on order via the local AT&T store and when I get it I'm hoping to get an ssh client on it. I would LOVE to not have to jailbreak it just for that but I will if nothing shows up in the app store soon. For the time being I've installed WebShell on a linux box I have access to and it looks like that might give me a poor-man's ssh but it's really not what I want long term.



    Yeah, webshell looks pretty lame. I need the real thing. Besides, I might just want local UNIX access, say to ftp or wget a file and then make a quick shell or perl script to process it.



    Not the sort of thing you can do a lot of with the limited keyboard, but still, very useful in a pinch, or if you're sitting in the car (as a passenger) or on the train and you want to try to get some work done.



    So, basically, I just need a mobile Terminal.app, and I can use the command-line ssh. Surely someone will develop such an app.
  • Reply 11 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post


    Yes, I know what the Pwnage Tool does, that's not what I'm asking.



    What will people use it for? Let me be a little more clear. With the App store out now, what will people really use a jailbroken iPhone for now? Is there a huge market for the "restricted" apps that Apple wont sell?



    I want a Skype app that works over the cellular network, not just WiFi, so I can call friends outside the country or when I'm outside the country (though I'll have to wait for a 3G unlock for the latter).
  • Reply 12 of 86
    cahp19cahp19 Posts: 23member
    does anyone know when, or even if, they plan on releasing this tool for windows?
  • Reply 13 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    If you get Error 1600 from iTunes (or if you see in your log a failure to prepare x12220000_4_Recovery.ipsw), try: mkdir “~/Library/iTunes/Device Support” ; if that directory already exists, remove any files in it. Then re-run PwnageTool.



    This resolved issues with both the original and 3G iPhones I tested. Though the 3G iPhone is now jailbroken it longer has any connection to AT&T, but the original iPhone is jailbroken, unlocked and working perfectly on T-Mobile USandA
  • Reply 14 of 86
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    people asked,"why write apps for Linix?". (sent from iPhone)
  • Reply 15 of 86
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Such people that install this are braver than I.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 238member
    Well I just unlocked my first gen iPhone with the 2.0 software and my wife is currently playing Bedazzled 2 on her T-Mobile service iPhone. Meanwhile I'm using the new iPhone 3G. Color me impressed!



    The process is not super easy, but it's better than most hacks. Good instructions can be found at: http://www.macgeekblog.com/blog/arch...ne-3g-now.html



    After a false start or so, I found the above website and things worked perfectly. The iPhone Dev Team truly deserves a lot of thanks.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DWS-2 View Post


    Well I just unlocked my first gen iPhone with the 2.0 software and my wife is currently playing Bedazzled 2 on her T-Mobile service iPhone. Meanwhile I'm using the new iPhone 3G. Color me impressed!



    The process is not super easy, but it's better than most hacks. Good instructions can be found at: http://www.macgeekblog.com/blog/arch...ne-3g-now.html



    After a false start or so, I found the above website and things worked perfectly. The iPhone Dev Team truly deserves a lot of thanks.



    No, it's not the simplest thing to do but after spending the last several hours trying various methods there is no way I can find that will not get any iPhen up and running on v2.0



    IF you tell Pwnage Tool that you are 'not' a legit subscriber when using the 3G iPhone you will not have access to at least AT&T when the install is complete. This can resolved by saying you are legit or by using WiFi to conenct the iPhone and installed OpenSSH via Cydia. From there use Terminal on your Mac to execute the following command:

    Code:


    rm -rf /var/root/Library/Lockdown





    After a reboot it should find your AT&T carrier.
  • Reply 18 of 86
    useroneuserone Posts: 55member
    <snip>
  • Reply 19 of 86
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmason View Post


    Not the sort of thing you can do a lot of with the limited keyboard, but still, very useful in a pinch, or if you're sitting in the car (as a passenger) or on the train and you want to try to get some work done.



    That's exactly why I have wanted a "pocket Mac" for years. Also--what if a client HAS to have something done, and you don't have your laptop with you?



    Now, many of my tools will never run on an iPhone: Photoshop, Flash, and access to my whole hundreds of GB of archived project files. Yet the iPhone WILL do the trick VNC to the rescue! Mocha looks good, and TouchPad Pro looks good too (though it's not on the App Store yet). If I need to make an emergency logo change in Adobe Illustrator, iPhone + VNC will meet the need.



    That seems needlessly complex for SSH, but it's a solution that would give you SSH AND more.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    ap780ap780 Posts: 9member
    i was wondering, with the old iphone jailbreak 1.1.4 you could change the background of the home screen, do u rekon you could do that with the 3g?



    and what apps are worth jailbreaking the 3g? cause i dont realy want to do it unless it has INTENSELY-AWESOME-INSANELY-WIKKED apps... lol



    cheers AP

Sign In or Register to comment.