New iPod touch hidden in firmware; Microsoft's pro-Vista videos

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I also have a friend (IT professional too) who uses Vista at work. He loves it, and it never has crashed on him... and he's used it since the second month it was released. I guess it goes to show he knows what he is doing.

So your argument is that Vista can be very stable when backed up by an IT professional. How comforting for most folks. Just kidding, but it is not much of an endorsement to say that a very experienced user is unlikely to have problems.

Quote:

I like the fact that this ad campaign does not reference Apple at all, unlike Apple's ads. As much as I don't like Vista (and had it running on my MBP for a while, and to be honest, it ran well, I just wanted XP since I knew things ran on it easier like my old programs... haven't tried Vista in a while, maybe I should install it again to try now that SP1 is out) I do like the idea of not mud slinging. To be honest, I've always hated the Apple ads. I wanted to see what the Mac could do on its own with no comparison to windows. And since the Mac can do both (well, all three) major OS's, the commercials are really a moot point.

For better or worse, the "I'm a Mac" ad campaign has been very successful for Apple and Microsoft has, in fact, tried to replicate it by comparing Vista to something they feel it beats. It just happens they are not yet comfortable in asserting that Vista is better than an OS not under there control. To be honest, as long as Windows is the dominant OS, Microsoft would be foolish to mention the non-MS competition. They are better served trying to move Vista units.
  • Reply 22 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

It's one thing to try something limited under controlled circumstances, another to rely on it day in and day out under real world circumstances.

Couldn't agree More. I upgraded to Vista Ultimate on my home machine and went through 6 installs over the course of 6 months worth of upgrades and blue screens of death.

I installed it so many times that I had to call software vendors to allow me to install my software because my license key had been used too many times.

I went back to XP and have been very happy.

I'll give Apple another shot when they can work in a business environment that has to exchange documents with the rest of the Windows World. Just not there yet especially without being able to run simple VB apps that many corporations rely on everyday.
  • Reply 23 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidnowsGuy View Post

I'll give Apple another shot when they can work in a business environment that has to exchange documents with the rest of the Windows World. Just not there yet especially without being able to run simple VB apps that many corporations rely on everyday.

I agree that it makes sense to use the appropriate tool for whatever the task is. However, it seems to me that your beef is with MS and their decision to pull support for VB from the Mac version of Office. Fortunately, they seem to have seen the error of their ways but I will wait to pass judgment until I see what they actually offer up in the next version.
  • Reply 24 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I agree that it makes sense to use the appropriate tool for whatever the task is. However, it seems to me that your beef is with MS and their decision to pull support for VB from the Mac version of Office. Fortunately, they seem to have seen the error of their ways but I will wait to pass judgment until I see what they actually offer up in the next version.

You are correct but I wouldn't call if a "beef". I use the tools I use because I have to.

The point of this forum is the new Vista is now safe and fast videos. I wish I had a chance to be in their chosen pool candidates because I can say with no question that Vista is still to unstable to use unless you never plan on putting anything but MS software on it and don't a device hooked up to it that's older than a year old (and that's pushing it).

I know Leopard and all previous versions as I manage a large art department with many Macs. Apple does have their problems with new OS releases (as does every software vendor) but they tend to fix them very fast.

I wish this were true with the 2.0 software for my iPhone. Another horrible experience and still no fix.
  • Reply 25 of 85
    The definition of "Mojave" is "desert area in SW US (Cal/Az).

equates to "Nothing Experiment", even pigs and hogs can't survive there.
  • Reply 26 of 85
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

So when the guy turned on the computer, none of them noticed the boot screen say "Windows Vista"?

I don't know about Vista, but it's trivial to change the opening screen under many previous versions of Windows. It's probably just a bitmap file with a certain name and odd extension.

Quote:

And yes, Microsoft, please try to get the pause/play right next time. And did they have to use the Time Machine icon for the "replay" icon?

I couldn't find that icon but if it's what I'm thinking of, I don't think Apple invented that symbol.
  • Reply 27 of 85
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

You'd think but - nope. As long as you're using both OS X and Vista, Vista won't grow on you because you know what good is. It was funny - I was talking to this guy at work who said he really liked Vista because of how it deals with Alt+Tab. I told him that's because he doesn't use OS X and doesn't get things like Spaces and Expose. When I told him what they do he said, and I quote "Man, maybe I need to get on the Mac bandwagon"

I use both everyday, and Vista is fine.

And they both suck at different times too - I'm always impressed with Finder's ability to hang my system when it can't connect/disconnect from a server share, and at least I know of a handy terminal command to fix it (sudo shutdown -n -r now).
  • Reply 28 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I'm always impressed with Finder's ability to hang my system when it can't connect/disconnect from a server share, and at least I know of a handy terminal command to fix it (sudo shutdown -n -r now).

That has been resolved in Leopard.
  • Reply 29 of 85
    I love the fact that in the "overview" video, about half way in, when the narrator is saying something about "fun times", the camera pans across a bunch of smiling faces, then cuts to a close-up of a woman's chest. (I'm not kidding here...)

Also, didn't the US govt. nuke the Mojave desert? So MS is nuking a bunch of PCs or what?
  • Reply 30 of 85
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That has been resolved in Leopard.

Except that I'm running Leopard.
  • Reply 31 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Except that I'm running Leopard.

I have several machines running Leopard on a hybrid network and do not have this problem. The new mult-threading was one of the features for Leopard, I believe. It sound like you have some other issues with your build.
  • Reply 32 of 85
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Now nicknamed the "Mojave Experiment," the promo campaign hosts videos of Windows XP owners who Microsoft says had a very negative perception of Vista but were shown the current version of the operating system under the fake "Mojave" name to gauge their reactions without media- and friend-made preconceptions in the way.

According to Microsoft, over 90 percent of these users came out with a complete changed, positive outlook on the operating system now that its initial kinks have purportedly been resolved a year and a half after its debut.

I'd better check that our Vista system at work has been getting its software updates automatically. As far as I know, it's still behaves like the same crappy Vista it had a year ago.
  • Reply 33 of 85
    aheneenaheneen Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Also, didn't the US govt. nuke the Mojave desert? So MS is nuking a bunch of PCs or what?

I don't have the time to check, but I believe the Mohave desert is in Southern California. I am quite sure that all US nuclear weapons tests were in Nevada, New Mexico, and remote islands in the Pacific.
  • Reply 34 of 85
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

[*]The people interviewed don't seem to be very tech savvy at all, or no a thing about the computers in any regard. I only clicked on 6 of them, but one girl called the minimize button the "negative thing" or something like that.

What's worse, or should I say REALLY SCARY, is that these "well informed" people have the right to vote!
  • Reply 35 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post

I don't have the time to check, but I believe the Mohave desert is in Southern California. I am quite sure that all US nuclear weapons tests were in Nevada, New Mexico, and remote islands in the Pacific.

The Nevada Test Site is in the Mojave desert which extends from SoCal's high desert (where Patton trained his troops) through northwestern Arizona, southern Nevada and southwestern Utah. The fact that I know this suggests that I've made entirely too many trips on I-215.
  • Reply 36 of 85
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EyeNsteinNo View Post

The definition of "Mojave" is "desert area in SW US (Cal/Az).

Thanks! I thought they were referring to Mojave, the low-fat coffee creamer.
  • Reply 37 of 85
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

What's worse, or should I say REALLY SCARY, is that these "well informed" people have the right to vote!

Yeah! Only right-wing fuckheads like yourself should be allowed to vote.
  • Reply 38 of 85
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I couldn't find that icon but if it's what I'm thinking of, I don't think Apple invented that symbol.

The icons are universal.

It is universal to use the right pointing triangle for play (going back to cassette tapes showing the direction the tape would move, if I was to guess) and the double, stubby vertical lines to represent pause.

What Microsoft "innovated" here is the use of the triangle for pause and the two lines for play. Some people may think that this is a mistake, but I think MS is just showing that they are not afraid to strike out and think different...
  • Reply 39 of 85
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Microsoft wanted to eliminate the misconceptions about Vista. So the Mojave Experiment is dead-on accurate because using Vista makes you feel lost in the Mojave desert with no help or rescue in sight!
  • Reply 40 of 85
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

but were shown the current version of the operating system under the fake "Mojave" name to gauge their reactions without media- and friend-made preconceptions in the way.

According to Microsoft, over 90 percent of these users came out with a complete changed, positive outlook on the operating system now that its initial kinks have purportedly been resolved a year and a half after its debut.

What would really be interesting is if Consumer Reports or something like that did a version of the "Pepsi Challenge", where Vista and Leopard were side by side for "testers" to fool around with and do tasks they think they would normally perform on the computer and then get their opinion versus anything that was controlled by MS or Apple who might not publish any results not favorable to their system.

Of course you would need to find the unbiased people who have never experienced Vista or Leopard, MS or Apple, Windows or Mac... but it would be interesting to see.