iPhone 3G owners report hairline cracks in their phone's casing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    they should go to the local Apple store and see if the display models have the cracks. They should be displaying cracks if this is an Apple problem, right? I can't imagine that every store is constantly swapping out phones to keep them looking pretty for potential buyers - it would cost too much. Those display phones are probably handled more than a regular phone, so they should show all these cracks.
  • Reply 22 of 109
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Remember that Steve Martin movie The Jerk? He had this great invention which made him wealthy, but then it caused people to go cross-eyed - he was sued and sent to the poor house. If people don't get these replaced - without hassle - the PR on this will be beyond damage control and tarnish AAPL for quite awhile. If this happens to my iPhone 3G and they don't replace it - I will be picketing every Apple store and at&t store in Dallas and handing out literature and photos from all these disgruntled customers to anyone that will look at them - and that will turn away quite a lot of customers. I will make sure the press is there, too and it WILL be on on youtube for the rest of the world to see. A threat? You bet your ass it's a threat and I encourage others to do the same. Oh, and while I'm at it - I'll show them my 0-1 3G and EDGE bars and the # of dropped calls and the message forums for that, too. Your ball.
  • Reply 23 of 109
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Funny, all of those cracks look like they were caused by compression.

If you stick your iphone in your trouser pocket and sit on it what would you expect to happen?

The curved design obviously does not spread the load like a squared off design would but hey ho, if your thick enough to sit on it !!

Phones get put in pockets. If you design a phone that can't stand up to someone sitting down while it's in their pocket, that's still a manufacturing defect. Without question, I would expect a replacement.

I've sat on, dropped, stepped on, etc, many phones, and never had cracks appear. I have, however, had almost every white plastic Apple product I've ever owned end up with small surface cracks (even ones that have never left my desk or been unplugged from my Mac). Apple's white plastic is just too fragile.
  • Reply 24 of 109
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No, there are a lot of other manufactures making 3G phones out of plastic which don't have the issue.

I meant Apple's designer white plastic.
  • Reply 25 of 109
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

If people don't get these replaced - without hassle - the PR on this will be beyond damage control and tarnish AAPL for quite awhile.

What they will do is fix the issue going forward, but not replace the ones that are already out there, because really, this is no big deal. It really only shows up on white iPhones, and only about 6 people have bought that colour anyway.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm sorry but the iPhone ice is simply to die 4.

Go back to your cave.

I agree. And I'll take Kate Moss too. You guys are pretty harsh.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

What they will do is fix the issue going forward, but not replace the ones that are already out there, because really, this is no big deal. It really only shows up on white iPhones, and only about 6 people have bought that colour anyway.

If you bothered to do any reading, and didn't spend all of your time projecting your latent homosexuality onto others, you'd know that the problem is widespread.
  • Reply 28 of 109
    beklimbeklim Posts: 8member
    My very carefully handled iPhone 3G bought in Sweden:

• Reply 29 of 109
    Quote:

Ottawa, Canada resident has been turned back at retail and on the phone by Canadian iPhone provider Rogers Wireless, which said it would have to technically rule the flaws "customer abuse" and charge the full replacement cost of the phone.

No surprise there then!!

I think a lot of it would depend on how quickly the damage was spotted. Within a reasonable time frame any store worth its salt wouldn't hesitate to replace it.

I got mine from CPW so they might try it on. I reckon if you got one from Apple you'd be in for a quick replacement as i've always found their aftersales service very good. In the UK the phone is still fit for purpose so you might have a job arguing your case. Not sure about the rest of the world.
  • Reply 30 of 109
    Don't get me wrong I will never go buy a dell or hp, but come on Apple why do you keep using inferior plastics. This is the same exact problem we had with the MacBooks keyboard surface. Both my wife, sister, and sister in law all have the same problem with their computers.

If Apple truly wants to set themselves apart they cannot afford stupid errors like this. They need to switch to a better grade of plastic or just stick to aluminum. I am hoping this is just a mistake and not intentional.

Below are two pictures of my sister and wife's computers. Keep in mind these are taken after the plastic plate has already been replaced once.
  • Reply 31 of 109
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I'll worry when I hear what percentage of the 2 million (or whatever) 3G iPhones actually has a problem This won't keep me from buying, since even a rare problem seems exaggerated in a support forum. People don't bother to post if they don't see the issue. (Pick any product, and any issue, post on it in a very active forum dedicated to that product, and when the replies roll in you'll think everyone has that problem.)

You can't take forum posts (or Web polls) as statistics to evidence a "widespread" problem. It's certainly something to keep an eye on though, in case it turns out it IS widespread, and not, say, one bad batch or something.
  • Reply 32 of 109
    Quote:

Remember that Steve Martin movie The Jerk? He had this great invention which made him wealthy, but then it caused people to go cross-eyed - he was sued and sent to the poor house. If people don't get these replaced - without hassle - the PR on this will be beyond damage control and tarnish AAPL for quite awhile. If this happens to my iPhone 3G and they don't replace it - I will be picketing every Apple store and at&t store in Dallas and handing out literature and photos from all these disgruntled customers to anyone that will look at them - and that will turn away quite a lot of customers. I will make sure the press is there, too and it WILL be on on youtube for the rest of the world to see. A threat? You bet your ass it's a threat and I encourage others to do the same. Oh, and while I'm at it - I'll show them my 0-1 3G and EDGE bars and the # of dropped calls and the message forums for that, too. Your ball.

For a brief moment there i thought your iPhone had cracks in it.
  • Reply 33 of 109
    So it's true. The new 3G iPhone is all that it's"Cracked" to be.
  • Reply 34 of 109
    Me thinks more content for www.ruinediphone.com
  • Reply 35 of 109
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:

Maybe I was too harsh.. if you're a girl, or you want people to know you are gay from a far, before they start talking to you, then I guess the white iPhone is ok..

you're retarded
  • Reply 36 of 109
    Quote:

Honestly, it serves them right for buying a white iPhone, which is clearly the ugliest thing since Kate Moss. In fact, I think the cracks make the white ones look better.

Looking at Kate Moss.... you may be right.
  • Reply 37 of 109
    Quote:

Below are two pictures of my sister and wife's computers. Keep in mind these are taken after the plastic plate has already been replaced once.

Remind me not to lend them any of my Apple stuff
  • Reply 38 of 109
    Quote:

Micro-cracks in the plastic casings of iPhone 3Gs aren't likely to cause physical harm to the owners of the devices, so your analogy is something of a stretch. And picketing, as you threaten, may be a bit of an overreaction. Great movie though!

All the cracks do is make the device look used (as all iPhones most certainly are), though the massive crack around the headphone jack definitely looks like user abuse/carelessness to me. iPhones, like all mobile phones, are going to take something of a pounding. It's unrealistic for people to expect them to look pristine forever.

Caveat venditor? Could Apple have constructed the iPhone 3G out of different materials to better guard against early wear and tear? Perhaps. I don't know what all they did in R&D on the new iPhone 3G, but I'm sure they arrived at what they deemed the best possible combination of form and function that would still be affordable and marketable. Is it a bit early for the new iPhone 3Gs to be showing signs of structural fatigue? Again, perhaps. But like other posters have noted, such signs may have more to do with individual owners' treatment of their iPhone 3Gs than with possible flaws in the design or lack of durability of the materials used.

My iPhone 3G had its anti-glare screen protector affixed and was inserted into its Contour iSee hard shell case before I even turned it on! The case and screen protector, in concert with my diligence to protect my investment, have thus far kept my iPhone scratch- and crack-free (at least to my eyes).
  • Reply 39 of 109
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    too far... FAIL.

Just gave my iPhone a quick once over, no cracks
  • Reply 40 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

If you bothered to do any reading, and didn't spend all of your time projecting your latent homosexuality onto others, you'd know that the problem is widespread.

Never say widespread to a Gay basher.