iPhone 3G owners report hairline cracks in their phone's casing

Comments

• Reply 61 of 109
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

iPhone 3G owners report hairline cracks in their phone's casings.

They don't all own one phone.
  • Reply 62 of 109
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Another story with the terms 'Kate Moss' and 'Crack'?

No- can only find "Amy Whinehouse" and "Crack".
  • Reply 63 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

OK, I have a white iPhone and I have no cracks.

You or the iPhone?
  • Reply 64 of 109
    Am I the only one shocked by those pictures? The buttons are scratched all to hell. In no way do those pictures make it look like it's Apple's fault. It looks like the phone has been dropped, stepped on and then kicked across asphalt.
  • Reply 65 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BHoughton View Post

Am I the only one shocked by those pictures? The buttons are scratched all to hell. In no way do those pictures make it look like it's Apple's fault. It looks like the phone has been dropped, stepped on and then kicked across asphalt.

Was that before or after they subcribed to MobileME?
  • Reply 66 of 109
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    "Those aren't cracks, those are mold lines in the plastic." July 2000, Power Mac G4 Cube.

That's what happens when you make things out of plastic, they can crack. Gotta love my 1st gen iPhone.
  • Reply 67 of 109
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Note to self: Dont put 3G iPhone in your back pocket.

These cracks can only come from some fat-ass sitting on it.

LOL
  • Reply 68 of 109
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    So is it safe to assume that this problem is limited and is in no way a widespread one? Or do we not even know that yet?

I normally take very good care of my phones and always have them in a case but if it seems the cracks appear even with taking good care of it, that worries me.
  • Reply 69 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

So is it safe to assume that this problem is limited and is in no way a widespread one? Or do we not even know that yet?

I normally take very good care of my phones and always have them in a case but if it seems the cracks appear even with taking good care of it, that worries me.

Too early to tell as the iPhone has only been out for 3 weeks. With my original iPhone I never used a case and had in my front pocket with keys and coins. Even dropped it a few times. Sure, there were some scratches on the aluminum no scratches on the glass front.
  • Reply 70 of 109
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Yeah but its not the screen glass in question, its the case. And anyway the case of the old iphone was metal so no chance of cracks occuring there.
  • Reply 71 of 109
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You or the iPhone?

Whoops! Fixed.
  • Reply 72 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Yeah but its not the screen glass in question, its the case. And anyway the case of the old iphone was metal so no chance of cracks occuring there.

You asked if the problem is widespread, my really to that was it's too early to tell. If my white iPhone 4G gets visible cracks after 4 or 6 months from normal use I'll surely be wanting a replacement unit. My point was that there haven't been enough time to determine if it's an issue with a bad batch of white plastic, all the white plastic casings, all the plastic casings, or an a real issue caused by normal wear-and-tear. ihe other stuff was just anecdotal about the resiliency of the old iPhone.
  • Reply 73 of 109
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    They're speed cracks, makes the iPhone go faster.

It's pretty clear that it's a manufacturing defect, and the only question if it's just a bad batch, or a wide-spread thing.

And I do agree, Apple uses funny plastics sometimes; the top of my Mini looks as though its been rubbed over by a Brillo pad after about 8 months, but oddly enough my naked 5g iPod is fine (after a year and a half).
  • Reply 74 of 109
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

OK, I have a white iPhone and doesn't have any cracks so far.

And no, I don't think it's indicative of homosexuality, haven't most of you owned white iPods before? iBooks? G5 or G4 iMacs? The MacBook is most commonly sold in white unless you want to pay the extra $50.

I chose white mainly because AI's pictures suggested faint scratching only after its first wipe with a lint cloth. I do wish they'd completed the theme though, with a white front and a white home page background so it's more consistent.

I considered getting a white one, but given that buying one may result in cracks (and me becoming gay) I'll go black. And you know what they say about that.
  • Reply 75 of 109
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I considered getting a white one, but given that buying one may result in cracks (and me becoming gay) I'll go black. And you know what they say about that.

yeah like none of us haven't heard that before,

"Buying the black iPhone for its resistance to cracking means you didn't RTFA."

I'm so tired of that one.
  • Reply 76 of 109
    To all of you who think the cracks are associated with only the white iPhones, I have a black iPhone G3 with cracks!!! I handle mine with TLC and there are cracks between the headphone jack and the silver trim. I am a jeweler by trade and used my loop to see them. They are small but you can easily see where the right tension would cause the pieces to fall out. The funny thing is that I have never even plugged my headphones into the jack (I use my bluetooth with the phone and have all my music on my 32 gig iPod Touch). My iPhone looks as new as the day I bought it. There are no other cracks anywhere but around the jack.

I will have to go to the Apple store and see what they have to say. I am kinda bummed. I have never had a problem with cracking before but my son's macbook had to be sent back for a new case because

of cracking.

Oh well such is life!

The ApplePreacher
  • Reply 77 of 109
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    I thought like most that the first news of cracks probably came from poor treatment of the phones but the amount of threads/posts on MacRumors is rather amazing as it is a LOT of different posters, new and old that are reporting cracks.
  • Reply 78 of 109
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

I agree. And I'll take Kate Moss too. You guys are pretty harsh.

Ah, you should see the "before" pictures of her that I've edited.
  • Reply 79 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You or the iPhone?

You big dummy, that's the kind of remark I make!
  • Reply 80 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

"Those aren't cracks, those are mold lines in the plastic." July 2000, Power Mac G4 Cube.

That's what happens when you make things out of plastic, they can crack. Gotta love my 1st gen iPhone.

Those WERE mold lines. Most plastic, and even molded metal parts have them.