Comments

• Reply 61 of 311
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGHGGHGHGHGHGHGH

Why are you being so dense?

Why are you?

It's a simple point that's not hard to understand.. A redesign can be more than looks alone.
  • Reply 62 of 311
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaple View Post

Really? There's such thing as a relatively easy to remove slot-loading drive (easy as in a knowledgeable consumer could do so with ease)? News to me...but I'm just a consumer. \

Sure it can. Removable drives used to have a button on the side of them. Push the button, and the drive popped out a bit, so that you could pull it out.
  • Reply 63 of 311
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Apart from being much thinner and tapered edges, the MacBook Air looks basically the same as a MacBook Pro. That doesn't mean it is not a completely different redesigned machine.

The MBA looks significantly different than the MBP. Its heritage is obvious, but it is quite different.

Quote:

People need to understand that a redesign is more than going from silver to black. I'd take a component redesign over a color or cosmetic change any day.

I would suspect that for a majority of users, a computer must satisfy the minimum requirements for usability (in most cases, this means that it can browse the internet, store photos, and run a word processor), and then people will buy based on looks and price. A case re-design is far more useful to most people who could care less whether Apple replaces FW400 with FW800.
  • Reply 64 of 311
    Quote:

Why are you?

It's a simple point that's not hard to understand.. A redesign can be more than looks alone.

But, it's NOT what the discussion is about.
  • Reply 65 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We know that!

But, it's not what we're talking about.

The question of Apple's enclosure changes has always been a point of speculation. That's aside from what will go inside. Small changes, such as trackpad sizes and even keyboard differences don't count here. We are talking about the external case?before you open the thing up. And there, Apple has made no real design change. Slightly different sizing to accommodate a slightly bigger display doesn't count. Therefore, both the 15 and 17 have the same design case.

So according to what you say if Apple started selling a black or red MacBook Pro, it would be considering a design change. But changing the type of display, processor, expansion slots, trackpad, keyboard, ports and adding a built in camera are not?
  • Reply 66 of 311
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Quote:

...The original PowerBook G4's (titanium) had black keyboards...

That's true. But the PowerBook G4 Titanium was launched in 2001

Well fancy that! I would have sworn it had a metal keyboard too, but you're absolutely right.

I bought a TiBook the day they were launched and it's still my favourite machine ever, but I've had such a long succession of MacBook Pro's since then I've forgotten. Thanks for reminding me.
  • Reply 67 of 311
    Quote:

But, it's NOT what the discussion is about.

That's what my post that everyone is commenting on is about.
  • Reply 68 of 311
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:

Nope your wrong... Look at the GarageBand icon in the dock.. As I said, GarageBand DID NOT EXIST in 2003.

Your wrong about the trackpad and keyboard too.. I have both a titanium PowerBook and a MBP. The keyboard is different and the current trackpad is bigger in addition to having multitouch.

The MacBook Air is an example of a design change, not keyboards, software, and trackpads. PowerBooks and MacBook Pros look the same as they have for years.
  • Reply 69 of 311
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaple View Post

Really? There's such thing as a relatively easy to remove slot-loading drive (easy as in a knowledgeable consumer could do so with ease)? News to me...but I'm just a consumer. \

I don't know if one is out there, but that doesn't mean it can't be easily done. I thought about doing it once, just to do it. It's the exact same kind of drive module as the tray loaders in terms of the hotplug and screw points, all it needs is rails and a slotted face plate. Tray loaders also have their own faceplate designed to match the notebook's shape.
  • Reply 70 of 311
    Quote:

So according to what you say if Apple started selling a black or red MacBook Pro, it would be considering a design change. But changing the type of display, processor, expansion slots, trackpad, keyboard, ports and adding a built in camera are not?

The problem here is that you're not paying attention to what we're saying.

I've now said, two times, that design changes can be internal. But I've also said, as have others here, that it isn't what we're talking about.

There have been, and will continue to be, many threads about what Apple will do to the internals.

This is not one of them.
  • Reply 71 of 311
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Here's a history lesson for Solsun:

In January 2001, Apple launched the Titanium PowerBook G4.

In January 2003, Apple launched the 12" and 17" PowerBook G4s, and they were made of aluminium.

Everyone wondered: "When will Apple update the 15" PowerBook form-factor to make it look like the 12" and 17" versions, and be made out of aluminium?"

In September 2003, Apple finally updated the 15" PowerBook, transitioning it from titanium to aluminium.

The 15" MacBook Pro and 17" MacBook Pro have essentially the same form-factor as the aluminium PowerBook G4 and 17" aluminium G4, including the backlit keyboard design and touchpad dimensions.
  • Reply 72 of 311
    Quote:

That's what my post that everyone is commenting on is about.

Everyone is commenting on your post to tell you that it isn't what we're talking about.
  • Reply 73 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

...The original PowerBook G4's (titanium) had black keyboards...

Well fancy that! I would have sworn it had a metal keyboard too, but you're absolutely right.

I bought a TiBook the day they were launched and it's still my favourite machine ever, but I've had such a long succession of MacBook Pro's since then I've forgotten. Thanks for reminding me.

Just a nit-pick, but you've quoted me as saying "the original PowerBook G4's...", it wasn't me who wrote that; I was quoting someone else, and they have an apostrophe that shouldn't be there.
  • Reply 74 of 311
    Quote:

Everyone is commenting on your post to tell you that it isn't what we're talking about.

Well than maybe you should read it again.. My point from the very beginning is that a redesign is much more than cosmetic.
  • Reply 75 of 311
    Quote:

Why are you?

Oh for fuck's sake.

You are saying that the MacBook Pro looks different to the aluminium PowerBook G4 and we are telling you that you are wrong.

The aluminium PowerBook G4 was launched at the end of 2003 and the MacBook Pro looks exactly the same.
  • Reply 76 of 311
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:

Sure it can. Removable drives used to have a button on the side of them. Push the button, and the drive popped out a bit, so that you could pull it out.

Most posters here are not naive enough to ignore that something like UltraBay exists. There aren't, however, slotloading drives like that. They are a bit more sensitive to handle and a modular one would add significant thickness.
  • Reply 77 of 311
    Quote:

When he says "same design," is he referring to the same color? Because the design of the MacBook Pro has completely changed since the PowerBook G4.

It has not completely changed. The case is practically identical and that's all that matters.

EDIT: Didn't realize everyone had already piled on Solsun. He has no idea what he's talking about. The MBP looks identical to the Aluminium Powerbook G4 and is in desperate need of a redesign.
  • Reply 78 of 311
    Quote:

Oh for fuck's sake.

You are saying that the MacBook Pro looks different to the aluminium PowerBook G4 and we are telling you that you are wrong.

The aluminium PowerBook G4 was launched at the end of 2003 and the MacBook Pro looks exactly the same.

You can tell me I'm wrong all you want but it's a moot point since I never once said anything about looks.

All I said (repeatedly,) is that a redesign is more than cosmetic. And yes, there have been minor cosmetic changes.
  • Reply 79 of 311
    Quote:

Well than maybe you should read it again.. My point from the very beginning is that a redesign is much more than cosmetic.

What we're saying is that other than the cosmetic (and, of course, practical) redesign of the case, the thread isn't interested.

A case serves two functions.

One is to house the components is such a way as to make them as accessible and protected, as can be.

Two is to make the product as attractive as can be.

That's what we're talking about.

You are talking about what's inside the case, the electronic and mechanical upgrades internal to the design. Other than how they reflect what a new design case can be, they aren't the subject of this discussion.
  • Reply 80 of 311
    Quote:

You can tell me I'm wrong all you want but it's a moot point since I never once said anything about looks.

All I said (repeatedly,) is that a redesign is more than cosmetic. And yes, there have been minor cosmetic changes.

In this post:

You said the MacBook Pro has a "New Keyboard design", it doesn't. You said the MacBook Pro has a "New Trackpad", it doesn't (form-factor wise); you said the MacBook Pro added the "Backlight Keyboard"; it didn't; you said the MacBook Pro had "New Speakers and placement", it didn't; you said the MacBook Pro added a "Firewire 800 port", it didn't, in fact, the first MacBook Pro took it away and then it was added back later. You said the MacBook Pro had a "Slimmer enclosure.", whilst this is true, it was only by about 0.01" or something like that.