Apple poised for special event this September

Comments

• Reply 101 of 311
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I wasn't responding to MOST posters, I was responding to aapl. Why are you mentioning most posters?

And just why are they more sensitive to handle? They are LESS sensitive to handle, not more.

I know that removable drives exist...I'm typing on a Dell laptop that has one like you describe (push a little button on the side of it that allows you to pull the whole drive out. I was wondering if easily removable slot loading drives (not tray loading) exist. From what I've seen of the ultrabay, it isn't slot loading.

Not that important...just want to clarify that I'm not a bonehead.
  • Reply 102 of 311
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    And back to the special event...

So, do you think they will combine the Mac announcements with the iPod refresh or keep them separate? I tend to think they will do them together...seems like a waste to do two that close together.

Also, which Tuesday? My money's on September 23rd.
  • Reply 103 of 311
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

READ MY FIRST FRICKIN POST.

When I originally listed all the changes I said from "THE ORIGINAL POWERBOOK G4"

Quote:

Mr H. will you please read my first post.

EDIT: (It's on page 1, post #8)

OK. I did read it again.

Maybe we are about to reach a breakthrough. I don't know; let's hope so and then we can all move on.

You started your post by saying:

Quote:

When he says "same design," is he referring to the same color? Because the design of the MacBook Pro has completely changed since the PowerBook G4.

What we've been trying to do here is answer that first question that you asked. And the answer is: "no, he's not referring to just the colour". He's referring to the overall form-factor, which hasn't changed since the aluminium PowerBook G4. The 17" aluminium PowerBook G4 was launched in january 2003, making the form-factor design of the 17" MacBook Pro over 5.5 years old; the 15" aluminium PowerBook G4 was launched in September 2003, making the form-factor design of the 15" MacBook Pro almost 5 years old. It could easily be argued that the 15" and 17" form-factors are in fact the same form-factor, it just depends how specific you want to be. Certainly, the two are broadly the same, it's just that the 17" is a scaled version of the 15" (or vice versa).

It's important to note that this is not the same as saying that the MacBook Air's form-factor is just a scaled version of the MacBook Pro form-factor, because it is not. The keyboard is different, the latching mechanism is different, the port design is different, there's no battery bay, there's no optical drive bay, the underside is tapered etc. etc. The MacBook Air form-factor is completely different from the MacBook Pro's.

In the rest of your post, you listed a load of things that have changed since the original titanium PowerBook G4, some of them internal changes (e.g. processor, RAM), some of them external changes (e.g. keyboard design).

You are correct that those things have changed since the Titanium PowerBook G4 in 2001.

But this article is about the MacBook Pro form-factor design being 5.5 years old, not 7 years old. All of the form-factor related differences that you listed between the titanium PowerBook and the MacBook Pro were in fact delivered by the original aluminium PowerBook G4, launched over 5.5 years ago. Hence, the MacBook Pro form-factor design is over 5.5 years old.
  • Reply 104 of 311
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Oh man, this thread got real funny didn't it? I apologise for any tempers raised.

The images I used for the 17" PowerBook G4 was downloaded from Apple's site in January 2005. The copyright on the images were for 2003, but the anomaly here is GarageBand which didn't arrive until Jan 2004.

My guess is Apple just photoshopped the screen to include the latest version of iLife once it was out. Same thing happened once Tiger was released - all of the desktops suddenly changed on their stock photos.

Here is the original source image for those who are interested. It was nice when Apple used to provide these high-res photos of their products...
  • Reply 105 of 311
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

OK. I did read it again.

Maybe we are about to reach a breakthrough. I don't know; let's hope so and then we can all move on.

You started your post by saying:

"When he says "same design," is he referring to the same color? Because the design of the MacBook Pro has completely changed since the PowerBook G4."

What we've been trying to do here is answer that first question that you asked. And the answer is "no, he's not referring to just the colour". He's referring to the overall form-factor, which hasn't changed since the aluminium PowerBook G4. The 17" aluminium PowerBook G4 was launched in january 2003, making the form-factor design of the 17" MacBook Pro over 5.5 years old; the 15" aluminium PowerBook G4 was launched in September 2003, making the form-factor design of the 15" MacBook Pro almost 5 years old. It could easily be argued that the 15" and 17" form-factors are in fact the same form-factor, it just depends how specific you want to be. Certainly, the two are broadly the same, it's just that the 17" is a scaled version of the 15" (or vice versa).

It's important to note that this is not the same as saying that the MacBook Air's form factor is just a scaled version of the MacBook Pro form-factor, because it is not. The keyboard is different, the latching mechanism is different, the port design is different, there's no battery bay, there's no optical drive bay, there underside is tapered etc. etc. The MacBook Air form-factor is completely different from the MacBook Pro's.

In the rest of your post, you listed a load of things that have changed since the original titanium PowerBook G4, some of them internal changes (e.g. processor, RAM), some of them external changes (e.g. keyboard design).

You are correct that those things have changed since the Titanium PowerBook G4 in 2001.

But this article is about the MacBook Pro form-factor design being 5.5 years old, not 7 years old. All of the form-factor related differences that you listed between the titanium PowerBook and the MacBook Pro were in fact delivered by the original aluminium PowerBook G4, launched over 5.5 years ago. Hence, the MacBook Pro form-factor design is over 5.5 years old.

I almost agree...

Except that when using your MBA and MBP analogy. The PowerBook G4 to Intel MacBook Pro transition in 2006 was also another complete redesign.. Yes, the case is the same (never argued that,) but the port design, motherboard, internal component placement and LED displays were all re-engineered.

All I'm saying is simple, A redesign can be more than just cosmetic.

EDIT: As is the case with the Ti PowerBook/ Aluminum Powerbook G4/MacBook Pro. Same basic look, very different machines.

Are we understood yet?
  • Reply 106 of 311
    Quote:

I almost agree...

Except that when using your MBA and MBP analogy. The PowerBook G4 to Intel MacBook Pro transition in 2006 was also another complete redesign.. Yes, the case is the same (never argued that,) but the port design, motherboard, internal component placement and LED displays were all re-engineered.

All I'm saying is simple, A redesign can be more than just cosmetic.

Hooray! Yes, the case is the same.

That's the whole point of this thread!

The CASE DESIGN of Apple's 15" and 17" laptops haven't changed for 5 years and 5.5 years respectively.
  • Reply 107 of 311
    I've been religiously visiting this site for nearly 10 years (summer of '99). After reading this thread, i've decided to finally join the party and chirp in my 2 cents.

Mr. solsun - you my friend are an idiot, but thank you for the fun read. it isn't often someone as boneheaded as you refuses to admit defeat. Keep it up, and I'll look forward to reading page 4 this evening.
  • Reply 108 of 311
    Quote:

EDIT: As is the case with the Ti PowerBook/ Aluminum Powerbook G4/MacBook Pro. Same basic look, very different machines.

Are we understood yet?

Damn it!

I thought we were understood, but we're not. The thread isn't about "basic look", it's a bit more specific than that. It's about form-factor, which is appearance related but more detailed than just "basic look".

The Titanium PowerBook G4 and aluminium PowerBook G4 do not have the same form-factor. The aluminium PowerBook G4 and the MacBook Pro do have the same form-factor. The MacBook Pro and MacBook Air do not have the same form-factor.
  • Reply 109 of 311
    Quote:

Hooray! Yes, the case is the same.

That's the whole point of this thread!

The CASE DESIGN of Apple's 15" and 17" laptops haven't changed for 5 years and 5.5 years respectively.

Well your sounding awfully smug here as if you've won something or feel that you were right all along...

You were still very wrong in your understanding of my original post and what I was saying..

And for the most part, this thread evolved from my post.
  • Reply 110 of 311
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    i'm exhausted just reading this...

please guys... TAKE IT OUTSIDE!

• Reply 111 of 311
    Quote:

Damn it!

I thought we were understood, but we're not. The thread isn't about "basic look", it's a bit more specific than that. It's about form-factor, which is appearance related but more detailed than just "basic look".

The Titanium PowerBook G4 and aluminium PowerBook G4 do not have the same form-factor. The aluminium PowerBook G4 and the MacBook Pro do have the same form-factor. The MacBook Pro and MacBook Air do not have the same form-factor.

And when did I say anything about form factor? Oh yeah, that's right, I didn't.
  • Reply 112 of 311
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

But everyone else was, using words and descriptions that more or less meant the same thing. It's you that was obsessed with pointing out that tech specs changed, and we were trying to explain to you it's about the appearance, not tech specs. The tech specs change are going to improve whether or not the appearance gets a major makeover or not.

Maybe in a few pages you're going to catch on to what the article was talking about and what everyone else was talking about too.
  • Reply 113 of 311
    Quote:

Fuckety fuckety fuck fuck fuck.

Your first post listed several form-factor related changes, which in fact haven't changed for five and a half years.

You originally asked "is this about colour?"

The answer is No.

You also said "I just don't get why people always say it has not been redesigned in ages."

And the answer to this wonderment is that people are saying that the form factor hasn't been redesigned for ages. And that's because the form factor is five and half years old!
  • Reply 114 of 311
    Quote:

Well your sounding awfully smug here as if you've won something or feel that you were right all along...

Well I'm sorry you read it that way. I was just happy that you finally understood what this thread is about and why people say the case hasn't been redesigned for ages. But apparently I was wrong

Quote:

You were still very wrong in your understanding of my original post and what I was saying..

No, I understood it perfectly actually. In this early post of mine in response to you, I acknowledged that the form-factor differences you listed did apply relative to the Titanium. I was also trying to explain to you that those differences were delivered by the aluminium PowerBook G4 launched 5.5/5 years ago.
  • Reply 115 of 311
    Quote:

Fuckety fuckety fuck fuck fuck.

Your first post listed several form-factor related changes, which in fact haven't changed for five and a half years.

You originally asked "is this about colour?"

The answer is No.

You also said "I just don't get why people always say it has not been redesigned in ages."

And the answer to this wonderment is that people are saying that the form factor hasn't been redesigned for ages. And that's because the form factor is five and half years old!

But I NEVER DISAGREED about that.. Why are you assuming I am?

My point is that a redesign can be more than cosmetic. Lots of things have changed over the years that qualify a redesign. That's all.
  • Reply 116 of 311
    jbach67jbach67 Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Are people who bought the current Nano going to be happy with the Touch, which is larger in every possible metric? If I wanted a Touch, I would have bought one. I prefer the current Nano at $199 to even a free Touch because the size is my majority concern. I am not the only one. I'm not certain that a shuffle with a small screen would be adequate to replace the current Nano either.

What is particularly compelling about the current Nano is that it rides the features line so well. It's not as good as the Touch on video, but it's still adequate in a pinch. It can't browse the internet, but that's not important for this segment of the market. It has low capacity, but large enough to contain all of the music and playlists that one actually listens to on any regular basis. And on top of that, it's small enough to exercise with. If you are only going to have one iPod, the Nano is the one -- you won't go jogging with a Touch and you can't watch video with a shuffle. I don't think that Apple can replace the Nano with anything other than another Nano without losing a lot of customers to other players.

I bought a Touch but I completely agree with your main point. I don't see them "touching" the Nano unless they also find a way to add external controls. Now I do run with my Touch, but you can't easily change volume or song because you need two hands. Still, size matters, and the nano is a huge seller in part because it fits the niche you describe. Earlier rumor did have them going back to the old slim form factor for nano, but no way they eliminate a best seller.
  • Reply 117 of 311
    So, how many people here are expecting the next MacBook Pro form-factor to resemble the MacBook Air's?

I am and I can't wait!

I've got a MacBook and love the form-factor. This MacBook was meant to be a temporary stop-gap purchase to get me from an original Titanium PowerBook G4 I had to a MacBook Pro.

I wanted a MacBook Pro, but didn't think the intel architecture (Core Duo at the time) was quite ready - power consumption too high. But my PowerBook G4 was sooooooo slow it was driving me mad. So I thought, "buy cheapest new Mac to see me through until MacBook Pro is worth buying" - and it's taken this long! The next MacBook Pro will have 25 watt CPUs and hopefully an Air-like form-factor.
  • Reply 118 of 311
    aheneenaheneen Posts: 75member
    Can we just shut up about the issue of the PB-MBP design changes. Obviously, anyone with half a brain reading this thread must come to the realization that there are basically no significant changes in the external appearance between the ALUMINUM PowerBook G4 (introduced in 2003 a couple of months before Garageband debuted)and the MacBook Pro.

Are we done being little kids who can't stand having the last word???
  • Reply 119 of 311
    If Apple doesn't release anything till september, won't it be hard for them to drop their gross margin from 35% (last quarter) to 31% (this quarter) and 30% next quarter? (they'll only have a couple of weeks left of the quarter!)

Or is there something I'm missing?

ps.

Almost not worth posting in this thread, too much noise.

Yes the MBP has had lots of internal changes, few external changes. Can we move on?
  • Reply 120 of 311
    Quote:

But I NEVER DISAGREED about that.. Why are you assuming I am?

My point is that a redesign can be more than cosmetic. Lots of things have changed over the years that qualify a redesign. That's all.

Hey, you were the one who asked:

"is this about colour?"

In your first post.

And you were the one who said:

"I just don't get why people always say it has not been redesigned in ages."

In your first post.

All of the following exchanges were to try and answer the first question as:

"no, it's not about colour"

And answer your wonderment by explaining that people say it's the case design that hasn't changed for 5.5 years.

And explain to you that the cosmetic differences you'd listed in your first post were delivered by the aluminium PowerBook G4 in 2003