Verizon now touting own 'Visual Voice Mail' service

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

This is something I've never understood. Why haven't all voicemail systems (including the older 'non-visual' ones) simply downloaded the messages to the handset's memory, and allow the user to manage them as they see fit? Why this exclusive dependence on the carrier's servers?

When VM started out phones didn't have the capacity to store messages. It became the way things are done and Verizon apparently wants to continue along that path.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

So does this mean the verizon network now has a snowball's chance of working visual voice-mail on a liberated iPhone?

I just left Verizon for AT&T and an iPhone 3g. I would have left sooner, but I was waiting for the 3g.

Verizon is CDMA. AT&T's GSM service at my home is sub-par, but it is good where I am most of my day: at work.

So liberated iPhones, as far as I know, don't have a snowball's chance in hell working on CDMA networks, visual voicemail or not.

This is one of the reasons, iPhone aside, I was looking to ditch Verizon. They just don't get it. They cock block all of a phone's features, and then charge you for using the ones that are included on the most basic phone. People are running for the iPhone not because it's tpouch screen, or looks nice, but because the feature set its awesome, and the carriers aren't killing you to use it. My AT&T bill is ~$80, including 200 SMS. My Treo 650, on Verizon, about 18 months ago, was around $120 a month. What the big V ( number 2, I might add) needs to do is step up the features like VVM, and NOT CHARGE FOR IT. The damn phones are fully functional. Verizon goes through the trouble of removing the stock software and then charging you for using theirs.

This is the reason the USA needs to stop carriers from exclusive phones and what not. No subsidies. Let the consumer buy the phone at retail, then choose a carrier. No contracts. The prices will surely fall, and the better customer service, the more subscribers you will gain.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I'd rather have free visual voicemail than free SMS.

Losing your messages after 40 days sounds really irritating to say the least. I have a few on my home phone that I've kept much longer. How long can you keep your messages with an iPhone?
  • Reply 24 of 78
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,480member
    I do remember reading somewhere that Apple had begun licensing Visual Voice Mail, and that it had a few patents on the technology.

I guess I had it mixed up, Klausner settled with Apple for using the technology.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

How long can you keep your messages with an iPhone?

I don't think there is an auto delete for saved iPhone messages.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I do remember reading somewhere that Apple had begun licensing Visual Voice Mail, and that it had a few patents on the technology.

I guess I had it mixed up, Klausner settled with Apple for using the technology.

Yep. Just googled. They settled with and licensed it from Klausner Technologies. Guess Verizon licensed likewise.

Note that the name of the feature is the same.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gilles_deleuze View Post

Note that the name of the feature is the same.

We know that Klausner has patented it but I can find no info on a trademark from them for the Visual Voicemail title. The name for a similar functioning VOIP and POTS service used By Nortel/Citrix also bares the VV moniker.

PS: This was a non-story when it was announced that Sprint had also licensed VV for its Samsung Instinct.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

This is something I've never understood. Why haven't all voicemail systems (including the older 'non-visual' ones) simply downloaded the messages to the handset's memory, and allow the user to manage them as they see fit? Why this exclusive dependence on the carrier's servers?

I don't know, but sometimes it's handy to not have the phone be the place it is stored. If the phone can't be located or it's out of battery, then any other phone can be used to get the messages. If you lost the phone, wouldn't you be losing your messages too?
  • Reply 29 of 78
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    To echo what's been said before - that's one clunky interface!

Why are the telco's so stingy with their messages? With Telus in Canada I can store up to 3 messages for a limited time. I have to pay something like $10 per month to get more. When I signed up I questioned this absolute rip off. I get 6gb free with Google. How much space does 10 messages take up?
  • Reply 30 of 78
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know, but sometimes it's handy to not have the phone be the place it is stored. If the phone can't be located or it's out of battery, then any other phone can be used to get the messages. If you lost the phone, wouldn't you be losing your messages too?

(My original question was a bit brief because I was heading out the door.)

@solipsism: Yes, it's clear that older handsets had next to no memory, so downloading VM messages wouldn't have been feasible. But that's no longer the case with many models today.

@JeffDM: I should have specified that downloading the messages would be an option, and the limitations on messages left on the server would remain. This could be more like IMAP, except that the messages on the server expire after 40 days or whatever. An added benefit is the user could retrieve an earlier message from a landline or other handset within the expiration period. After that, the messages you've downloaded are yours to keep or delete as you see fit, just like email.

@Everyone else: Carriers are greedy?!? I would have never guessed!
  • Reply 31 of 78
    off topic

I came across the following quote while reading some "random" articles here and there:

Quote:

Responding to questions from New York Times correspondent John Markoff at a Churchill Club breakfast gathering Thursday morning, Colligan laughed off the idea that any company -- including the wildly popular Apple Computer -- could easily win customers in the finicky smart-phone sector.

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone," he said. ""PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.'"

• Reply 32 of 78
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Figures the crooks at Verizon would charge you for it. If they could, they would charge you to browse your own address book! As another already pointed out, Verizon cripples most standard features on a phone, then charges you for it.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

off topic

I came across the following quote while reading some "random" articles here and there:
    Responding to questions from New York Times correspondent John Markoff at a Churchill Club breakfast gathering Thursday morning, Colligan laughed off the idea that any company -- including the wildly popular Apple Computer -- could easily win customers in the finicky smart-phone sector.

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone," he said. ""PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.'"

In Markoff's defence he was probably thinking along the lines of MS' mobile OS. Though I think he made that claim after the demo of the iPhone was available, so he should have seen it and realised that Apple has to create just one HW platform to make it work and that it's Unix-based OS is considerably more scalable than what MS had to work with.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    You would think Apple would have patented the phrase "visual voice mail" by now.

Lawsuit coming.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

You would think Apple would have patented the phrase "visual voice mail" by now.

Lawsuit coming.

You don't patent phrases, you trademark them, besides, visual voicemail has been in Asia for several years now. If there's anyone suing, it won't be Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

This is one of the reasons, iPhone aside, I was looking to ditch Verizon. They just don't get it. They cock block all of a phone's features, and then charge you for using the ones that are included on the most basic phone. People are running for the iPhone not because it's tpouch screen, or looks nice, but because the feature set its awesome, and the carriers aren't killing you to use it.

As a current Verizon subscriber, I'm well aware of how of "cock blocked" their phones are, but how is the iPhone really that much better? My crappy Motorola KRAZOR supports more Bluetooth profiles than the iPhone's paltry one. Any syncing of contacts/calendars/music/etc. still required physically hooking either the Verizon phone or iPhone to the computer. I guess for an extra $100 a year, you can wirelessly sync the iPhone contacts and calendar now via MobileMe, but all other syncing still requires that physical connection.

All of the things I really didn't like about my Verizon phone are still present on the iPhone.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Figures the crooks at Verizon would charge you for it. If they could, they would charge you to browse your own address book! As another already pointed out, Verizon cripples most standard features on a phone, then charges you for it.

I'm currently with Verizon and they definitely are a big rip off. On my last months bill, I had $20 in data charges. I couldn't believe it, I don't use the web on my phone. When I sat and thought about it, I realized that my wife was looking for a new ringtone using the Verizon Tones application. Now, I've been with them for 6 years and in that time I've probably got about 4 or 5 ringtones. NEVER have I been charged for browsing for a ringtone, only for purchasing one. I received no notice from Verizon saying that they were going to start charging for it.

I'm seriously thinking about changing to AT&T (mainly for the iPhone) but I had a really bad experience with them in the past. The only reason why I've stayed with Verizon this long is because everyone I talk to is on it so I never go over on minutes.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Competition is good, and, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and...
  • Reply 39 of 78
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

I just left Verizon for AT&T and an iPhone 3g. I would have left sooner, but I was waiting for the 3g.

Verizon is CDMA. AT&T's GSM service at my home is sub-par, but it is good where I am most of my day: at work.

So liberated iPhones, as far as I know, don't have a snowball's chance in hell working on CDMA networks, visual voicemail or not.

This is one of the reasons, iPhone aside, I was looking to ditch Verizon. They just don't get it. They cock block all of a phone's features, and then charge you for using the ones that are included on the most basic phone. People are running for the iPhone not because it's tpouch screen, or looks nice, but because the feature set its awesome, and the carriers aren't killing you to use it. My AT&T bill is ~$80, including 200 SMS. My Treo 650, on Verizon, about 18 months ago, was around $120 a month. What the big V ( number 2, I might add) needs to do is step up the features like VVM, and NOT CHARGE FOR IT. The damn phones are fully functional. Verizon goes through the trouble of removing the stock software and then charging you for using theirs.

1.) You bitch about Verizon yet your iPhone's reception at home is sub-par? How was it with Verizon - I bet no problem.

2.) You know and note that the iPhone is GSM and then bitch that is doesn't work on CDMA Verizon? makes no sense.

3.) Verizon has to cripple most phones because they have GSM feature that won't work with CDMA. example- the Razr.

4.) Verizon charges for the software- where? monthly?

5.) Can you get SMS pix on your iPhone from any other cariers including Verizon?

6.)How's AT&T's notorious lousy customer service? AT&T is ranked near the bottom according to Consumers Reports.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themoonisdown09 View Post

I'm currently with Verizon and they definitely are a big rip off. On my last months bill, I had $20 in data charges. I couldn't believe it, I don't use the web on my phone. When I sat and thought about it, I realized that my wife was looking for a new ringtone using the Verizon Tones application. Now, I've been with them for 6 years and in that time I've probably got about 4 or 5 ringtones. NEVER have I been charged for browsing for a ringtone, only for purchasing one. I received no notice from Verizon saying that they were going to start charging for it.

I'm seriously thinking about changing to AT&T (mainly for the iPhone) but I had a really bad experience with them in the past. The only reason why I've stayed with Verizon this long is because everyone I talk to is on it so I never go over on minutes.

Look up AT&T at Consumers Reports before changing. Do you have any connection issues with Verizon? Call Verizon and get the charges reversed if they are in error. They will usually reverse them if they are a one time thing.