Verizon now touting own 'Visual Voice Mail' service

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

1.)No one send MMS pix to an email address. If it goes to your phone number - how do you get it?

2.)It doesn't matter how good is AT&T's service if the connection sucks. Remember your connection is the most important thing on any phone- bar none.

Actually you can send MMS to an email address. It gets converted at the MMS gateway, however most are sent to the phone. The header part goes to the phone while the message resides on the server waiting for pickup.
  • Reply 62 of 78
    Why I wish the iPhone was on VZW, and why I'm still using a Blackberry with that carrier instead:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...vsvzw3gdt0.gif

One can only dream...
  • Reply 63 of 78
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Actually you can send MMS to an email address. It gets converted at the MMS gateway, however most are sent to the phone. The header part goes to the phone while the message resides on the server waiting for pickup.

If it one gets MMS pix sent to the iPhone- how does one pick it up? Apparently my friend with an iPhone says he can't. Thanks.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    shaminoshamino Posts: 530member
    Quote:

3.) Verizon has to cripple most phones because they have GSM feature that won't work with CDMA. example- the Razr.

What features are you thinking of? Aside from not connecting to GSM-based towers, I know of no Motorola-standard features that are blocked because of CDMA - only because VZW wants more money.

The most aggravating example of this is that they block BlueTooth object-exchange. VZW only lets you transfer address book entries via BT, not pictures, video clips, music or ringtones. Early versions of the firmware from VZW supported this, but then they removed the feature "for security reasons".
  • Reply 65 of 78
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

This is debatable as Allaboutsymbian posted that the N95 had the most widely used browser. Nokia and Apple use the same webkit and the browsers might not be identifying themselves properly. Still, I would say that the iPhone is in the top 2 or 3 phones used to surf the Internet.

Allaboutsymbian isn't exactly an objective source. Independent marketshare monitoring services that declared the iPhone the most used mobile device.

Also European carriers were reporting the iPhone using their data networks at levels they have never seen.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    Quote:

If it one gets MMS pix sent to the iPhone- how does one pick it up? Apparently my friend with an iPhone says he can't. Thanks.

AT&T sends you a text with a url and a code. That is how you get the MMS message.
  • Reply 67 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

This is debatable as Allaboutsymbian posted that the N95 had the most widely used browser. Nokia and Apple use the same webkit and the browsers might not be identifying themselves properly. Still, I would say that the iPhone is in the top 2 or 3 phones used to surf the Internet.

One way I would know if the two can plausibly be confused is to know what the user agent strings are. From past experience, the user agent string is a little different for every variation of a browser. If I want, I can read out the version string of every browser that hits my site. I seem to recall that iPhones have a specific "iPhone" string in the user agent string.

My web host splits out by OS and browser. On my site with the most traffic, I do see 12 hits from symbian this month.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Allaboutsymbian isn't exactly an objective source. Independent marketshare monitoring services that declared the iPhone the most used mobile device.

Also European carriers were reporting the iPhone using their data networks at levels they have never seen.

Surely you don't consider this site exactly objective either do you? Seriously you don't right?
  • Reply 69 of 78
    Quote:

Your friend can't. In my Nokia I have settings for receiving MMS as the actual message resides on a server, and only the headers are sent. I do not think it will be possible to receive MMS's unless Apple adds in a bunch more configuration functionality.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

One way I would know if the two can plausibly be confused is to know what the user agent strings are. From past experience, the user agent string is a little different for every variation of a browser. If I want, I can read out the version string of every browser that hits my site. I seem to recall that iPhones have a specific "iPhone" string in the user agent string.

My web host splits out by OS and browser. On my site with the most traffic, I do see 12 hits from symbian this month.

That's what I was thinking about. The user agent. Nokia and Apple use similar agents I think. An article was published about 3 months ago that details usage stats between Apple and Nokia, with Nokia coming out on top. I will try to find the article.
  • Reply 71 of 78
    Quote:

Surely you don't consider this site exactly objective either do you? Seriously you don't right?

Which site are you speaking of?
  • Reply 72 of 78
    Quote:

That's what I was thinking about. The user agent. Nokia and Apple use similar agents I think. An article was published about 3 months ago that details usage stats between Apple and Nokia, with Nokia coming out on top. I will try to find the article.

You keep falling back on the confusion between Safari and S60 simply because they both use webkit. There are 13 other browsers that use webkit besides Safari and S60. Its been shown several times they can easily be differentiated.

If you account all of Nokia's hundreds of various phones. Then yes it does trump the iPhone in internet marketshare. The iPhone holds the largest as a singular device.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    Quote:

Which site are you speaking of?

I would say the current site we are both on.
  • Reply 74 of 78
    Quote:

I would say the current site we are both on.

No I wouldn't call it objective, but I did not cite it as a source either.
  • Reply 75 of 78
    Quote:

No I wouldn't call it objective, but I did not cite it as a source either.

So. For the most part the editors minus one particular person are pretty objective.
  • Reply 76 of 78
    Quote:

So. For the most part the editors minus one particular person are pretty objective.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. I was calling independent marketshare monitoring services more objective than fan websites.
  • Reply 77 of 78
    Quote:

I'm not sure what you are getting at. I was calling independent marketshare monitoring services more objective than fan websites.

The article that I mentioned was referenced from Allaboutsymbian. AAS didn't make the claim. They reported what an independent source stated. I will try to find the article for you.
  • Reply 78 of 78
    Good. This means Apple will try to fight back with something better. Now hopefully T-Mobile will do something...