New iPhone app streams iTunes collections anywhere

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The developer of desktop software that lets users listen to their iTunes libraries from any broadband Internet connection now has a similar tool for the iPhone and iPod touch that eliminates storage limits.



Called SimplifyMedia (App Store), the app by the company of the same name uses a companion app for Mac, Linux, or Windows systems to share iTunes songs and playlists from both the user's own computer and any of 30 friends the user marks as friends.



Using the iPhone app itself is characterized as seamless and attaches visual song data as well, including album art and lyrics associated with each track.



Importantly, the software isn't limited to a Wi-Fi connection and will work (albeit not as quickly) over 2G and 3G cellular Internet access.



The software is potentially controversial for granting access to music that isn't owned by the user, though the company on its website claims it's legal; songs are only streamed and are only shared between a specific group of users rather than the public at large. DRM-protected iTunes purchases also won't stream through the program.



Hoping to spur a strong early reaction, Simplify Media is offering the iPhone edition of its utility for free to the first 100,000 to download it but will charge $3.99 per copy afterwards. The computer-based software is and remains free, regardless of platform.



SimplifyMedia for iPhone delivers on a remote streaming concept similar to one recently outlined in an Apple patent filing.



«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 64
    cbacba Posts: 53member
    I've just downloaded it, even though I don't have an iPhone....will save me a bit of money so when I do get one I don't have to buy it, because by then I imagine 100k will have been downloaded!
  • Reply 2 of 64
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CBA View Post


    I've just downloaded it, even though I don't have an iPhone....will save me a bit of money so when I do get one I don't have to buy it, because by then I imagine 100k will have been downloaded!



    It works really well. I have it steaming Pink Floyd on EDGE right now... Started in 30 seconds and has been progressing through the album without a hitch. If your connection is not strong enough, it will give you a sever connection error. Overall, it's pretty impressive. It's doing a number on my battery life, however. =P



    K
  • Reply 3 of 64
    I search for it but it is not coming up on my phone in the app store
  • Reply 4 of 64
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btitusjr View Post


    I search for it but it is not coming up on my phone in the app store



    Search all as one word "SimplifyMedia" or scroll through the "Music" category.



    I'll correct Aidan's post.



    K
  • Reply 5 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post


    Search all as one word "SimplifyMedia"



    I'll correct Aidan's post.



    K



    Ah thanks found it under music. Wanted to get this be 4 I get out of work and gots to pay for it. Or apple wises up and takes it away\
  • Reply 6 of 64
    Got it, for free still.





    I'm accessing my cousin's iTunes from my Touch (I'm in Ohio, she's in Scotland), this is cool as hell.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,501member
    If you click on the link given in the article it should work....

    Works like a charm for me, that's a great app.

    I will impress my collegues at work tomorrow!
  • Reply 8 of 64
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Just tried it out. Works great over WiFi or 3G. Now can still access my phone music collection without even loading it onto my iphone. I wonder what it does to the battery life....
  • Reply 9 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,380member
    Few things.
    • Still plays and goes onto the next song when iPhone is in sleep-mode, the WiFi stays active.

    • You can't fast-forward or rewind songs, and there's no scrubber.

    • iTunes does not need to be running on your Mac or PC, though you computer has to be on a connected to the internet.

    • The Simplified Media app has to be running however, which while kind of obvious to some, it is a hindrance to the apps usability if you ask me.

    • Headphones button doesn't work with the app, if pressed the iPod app takes over, quitting this app and starting up. Another little annoying thing.

    In theory this is a revolution, but I don't need that much music on me at once, and I don't care what everyone else is listening to. All the music I'll ever need and more is in the iPod app, and when I hear a new song (new to me, not new in general) I can buy it from iTunes and throw in the iPod app.
    • Lyrics are cool.

    • Artist summary is cool too.

  • Reply 10 of 64
    iedsriiedsri Posts: 26member
    It's unbelievable; works perfectly -- and it's free!



    We have entered a new age!



    Who needs a bigger hard drive on the iPhone now that I have access to my 250-gig music folder whenever I want it?



    Now I just want them to add a video function so I can watch my 2.5-terabyte movie collection!
  • Reply 11 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post


    Just tried it out. Works great over WiFi or 3G. Now can still access my phone music collection without even loading it onto my iphone. I wonder what it does to the battery life....



    It took about 5-10 seconds to queue a song on 3G and EDGE took too long to load a 190Kbps audio. If you have a lot of higher bitrate lossy or lossless audio I suggest making using iTunes simple conversion option to make copies of your audio in a lower bitrate.



    There is no way to FF through a song, but you can skip tracks. It doesn't carry your album cover or lyrics over but it does a nice job of supplying it's own data. You don't have to be running iTunes, but Simplify Media does have to be running to work so the simple interface of the app would be much better if made into a Menubar item, not a Dock Item.







  • Reply 12 of 64
    iedsriiedsri Posts: 26member
    Funny, it's working fine when I plug in my headphones.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iedsri View Post


    It's unbelievable; works perfectly -- and it's free!



    We have entered a new age!



    Now I just want them to add a video function so I can watch my 2.5-terabyte movie collection!



    exactly! C'mon, SimplifyMedia! you CAN do it! With handbrake and simplifyMedia, we have it all! The dvr makers should get onto this, as well as apple tv!!!
  • Reply 14 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iedsri View Post


    Funny, it's working fine when I plug in my headphones.



    Are you referring to the button on the earbuds that let you play/pause and skip, and it really controlled that app? Ireland didn't say headphones didn't work, it's the button that doesn't control the app.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    [*]Headphones button doesn't work with the app, if pressed the iPod app takes over, quitting this app and starting up. Another little annoying thing.



    If that's true then I see no reason to even try it. iPhone's music playback is annoying without that button, I had to buy a cable with the button to make it decently useable to me.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    I expect an Apple app to do this before long. Maybe even integrated with the Remote app for iPhone and touch. I'm interested, but hesitating because it doesn't support iTunes purchases.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    It took about 5-10 seconds to queue a song on 3G and EDGE took too long to load a 190Kbps audio. If you have a lot of higher bitrate lossy or lossless audio I suggest making using iTunes simple conversion option to make copies of your audio in a lower bitrate.



    There is no way to FF through a song, but you can skip tracks. It doesn't carry your album cover or lyrics over but it does a nice job of supplying it's own data. You don't have to be running iTunes, but Simplify Media does have to be running to work so the simple interface of the app would be much better if made into a Menubar item, not a Dock Item.











    I don't know if this is what you meant but there is an option to use the application in the menu bar (under preferences iirc) but it will still open the buddy list once you select the drop down. I agree that the interface could be simplified , maybe with the use of a dashboard item.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshamorrison View Post


    I don't know if this is what you meant but there is an option to use the application in the menu bar (under preferences iirc) but it will still open the buddy list once you select the drop down. I agree that the interface could be simplified , maybe with the use of a dashboard item.



    Thanks. That is what I meant, but mine is greyed out so I didn't notice it. It requires Growl to be installed to have this option, which i have, but I was running it the DMG. Welcome to AI.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    shokkshokk Posts: 12member
    Awesome! This is what I've been waiting for! Now to load up on more movies and podcasts and less music. Had to uncheck a lot of tunes from my library when I moved from my 32GB iPod Touch to the 16GB iPhone. This makes up for it.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Got it, still free
  • Reply 20 of 64
    what a disaster!



    this app just totally fuked my phone up! i've tried rebooting the last 3 hours. LOL



    good thing I'm 20 mins outside the 5th AVE NYC 24 HR store. heading there now 11:00pm - to go yell at somebody. i don't give a fuck if i dont have an appointment at the "genius" bar! bitches are gonna reboot this shit for me. lol





    note to self - avoid apps. they're turning my iphone into a portable version of Vista!





    disappointing!





Sign In or Register to comment.