Steve Jobs vows iPhone app crash fix for September

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Why you would write "For fuck's sake" is beyond me.

Technically fuck would be possessive of sake, as in 'for Pete's sake' but it doesn't look right and as a an exclamation I don't think it has to follow the same guidelines.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    When I reported this crash bug to a CS Rep he told me that some apps create an unstable environment that causes other apps to crash. He advised me to delete half of them to see if that fixed my NYTimes crash on launch problem. It did. But then after installing the 2.0.2 update the crash on launch symptom reappeared and I had to delete even more apps to get my NYTimes to work again. The app which I had blamed for my first problem was no longer to blame.

The rep told me he hadn't heard of my problem as a common one. Until I just found this article I had no idea I wasn't alone. Just how widespread is this indication?
  • Reply 83 of 92
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

You're wrong. It's acceptable, according to most style guides, to use "Jobs'". This is true for words that end with sibilant sounds.

Why you would write "For fuck's sake" is beyond me.

Now THAT'S funny!
  • Reply 84 of 92
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Have you ever persuaded anyone to give up their religion by mocking, belittling, or

berating (or by using logic, for that matter)? Your weapons are useless in this endeavor.

His weapons are useless only given that the brain washed are not easy to reason with. Through religion people can justify all sorts of ugly human behavior, it gives strength to do what would be normally revolting.

Quote:

I would be willing to bet that you have not, and rather that you have only

succeeded in increasing the amount of anger and separation people feel. This is not

productive on the level of individuals, groups, or nations. Try to think of a way

to help people become enlightened without the potential for violence.

Unfortunately the only reasonable response to people motivated by religion is violence on a massive scale. However due to our society being a bit more rational the religious people of the world know they can prick us all they want knowing we are loath to deal with them in the same morally baseless way they deal with us. In the end we are are own worst enemies because the religious fruit cakes out there know we don't have the motivation to deal with their faith based violence. Like it or not it is time to deal with the problems we face in this world and bending over backwards to appease stupidity is not the answer.
    Quote:

I only pointed out the offensive attempt at humor, because I think it

detracts from the purpose of these forums to have religion dragged into the

discussions.

As for offensive humor I do you know what the guys state of mind was? It is a phrase that has been around as long as I can remember. May I suggest that one is being just a little to sensitive to this issue.

In any event back on topic. 2.0.2 has been a mixed bag for me. Mail seems better but Safari seems far worst. Apple really needs to do better.

Dave
  • Reply 85 of 92
    i am so happy mr. jobs plans on doing something about the app problem. i wish he would address the dropped call problem in NYC. the iphone is supposed to be a phone so why doesnt he address the fact it drops calls more than any other phone using the at&t network. all my coworkers use blackberries, no problem. i cant even explain how frustrated i am regarding dropped calls that have affected my business. jobs should be addressing reception before apps. dont get me wrong the iphone is a great toy but if the phone doesnt work its nothing but a toy.. word of mouth will chew at apples core. everyone who has seen my problems changed thier mind about buying into a trend. hopefully someone at apple reads this, do whats right and fix the problem, otherwise the businesses they are marketing to with push outlook will turn there head to rimm and ruin there reputation. by the way the newest update didn't do anthing about dropped calls. im siiting in my apt. in manhattan and my phone went from 5 bars to none resulting in an updated dropped call.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsylvester28 View Post

jobs should be addressing reception before apps.

The article is about confirming there is a fix for the app crashes coming in September. This in way means that they aren't dealing with the carrier issues. I would think they groups working on this are not one and the same they could be fixing multiple issues at once without foregoing another.
  • Reply 87 of 92
    I experienced app failure just after installing the 2.02 update but as one of the apps was also updating at the same time the cause was not clear. It took over 24 hours, two restores, the last of which I interrupted when nothing appeared to have changed for a couple of hours, and then all was back to normal. No clear result but I'm happy the problem has disappeared for now. Apple is generally good with system updates and bugs tend to be short-lived, but I felt amazingly bereft having the apps unavailable even for such a short time. The iPhone is an amazing machine and I look forward to it being around for a long time. (I'm just a dyed in the wool Mac person, you may guess).
  • Reply 88 of 92
    I had some issues with the apps crashing a few weeks ago and emailed apple via my itunes account, got a dozy bird who didn't read my mail fully and gave the typical 'cut and paste' response, the upshot of this was restore your phone, or delete your apps and redownload blah blah..

after redownloading apps (which I was charged for again! now refunded...) the apps still didn't work.. so for a couple of weeks I've not even tried using them..

today I downloaded a new app directly to the phone and it didn't work, so synced my phone, clicked on my itunes account and went to fire off another rant..

this time the first panel on the account info page shows a downloads box (I don't know if this is a new feature or not) and it said I have downloads available, so clicked download now which downloaded a load of apps, synced the phone and now they all work.... no restore, no deleting apps..

apologies if this has mentioned before but this worked for me....
  • Reply 89 of 92
    My iphone was working flawlessly until 2.02 was installed last evening... then all installed apps crashed on opening... I read around a bit and then tried uninstalling one app and reinstalling it... voila! all apps now working... my fingers are crossed that it will keep working until the Sept promised fix...

Frustrating, but what do we expect with such a massive product launch?

Ajw
  • Reply 90 of 92
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post

My iphone was working flawlessly until 2.02 was installed last evening... then all installed apps crashed on opening... I read around a bit and then tried uninstalling one app and reinstalling it... voila! all apps now working... my fingers are crossed that it will keep working until the Sept promised fix...

Frustrating, but what do we expect with such a massive product launch?

Ajw

Why does Apple get a pass for a massive launch and semi-flop when if this had been Microsoft, Nokia, SE, Red Hat, etc.... they would have been hammered. Apple took a shot, came up short, but hopefully, they will learn and we will all be the better for it. This constant: "poor Apple. Let's have a moment of silence" is not doing them or anyone any good. Let them take their lumps, and learn.
  • Reply 91 of 92
    this is from an email I received friday, all apps now work, and the voucher has gone some way to make me feel good about this frustrating problem... be interesting to see how many of these they've handed out:

Dear Customer,

We have found, and addressed, an issue with your iTunes Store account which was preventing your computers from authorizing certain tracks properly. This problem could affect playing back purchased music or videos or launching applications on iPhone or iPod touch. You won't notice this issue until you attempt to authorize a computer to play one of the affected tracks. We have corrected the issue, however in order to authorize the affected purchases on your computer you will need to redownload new copies of the tracks from the iTunes Store. We have added the affected tracks back into your download queue, and they are available for you to download at any time, free of charge.

Before you redownload, please follow these steps to authorize your account and your computer:

1. Deauthorize your account, by choosing "Deauthorize Computer" from the Store menu in iTunes.

2. Select "Authorize Computer" from the Store Menu in iTunes, and re-authorize your account.

Once you've completed the steps above, you can begin to redownload the affected tracks. To redownload, simply choose "Check for Purchases" from the Store menu in iTunes. Make sure that you enter the Account ID "REMOVED" when checking for purchases.

We know that redownloading these tracks will cause you to have duplicate files on your hard drive, so we've created a step-by-step walkthrough that will help you eliminate the affected copies of the files.

The walkthrough for removing these duplicate tracks is available at:

http://support.apple.com/KB/HT2905

After removing the duplicate tracks, you should also re-sync any iPod or iPhone that have purchases from this account. If your iPod or iPhone is set to Manually Manage Songs and Videos, you'll need to restore the device and then re-add tracks from your Library.

Your purchases should now all play successfully. If you experience any difficulty using your purchases, please let me know.

As our way of apologizing for this situation, and the inconvenience that this has caused, we'd like to offer you a Gift Certificate in the amount of 15 GBP.

Your 15 GBP Gift Certificate code is:

'removed'

To redeem this Gift Certificate, click the link below to launch iTunes and display the Gift Certificate redemption page:

https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/...eemLandingPage

Enter the 16-digit Gift Certificate code and click the Redeem button. A message will appear confirming that the funds have been added to your account.

Thank you for being an iTunes Store Customer.

Sincerely,

Dan

iTunes Store Customer Support
  • Reply 92 of 92
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulerskine View Post

this is from an email I received friday, all apps now work, and the voucher has gone some way to make me feel good about this frustrating problem... be interesting to see how many of these they've handed out:

Dear Customer,

We have found, and addressed, an issue with your iTunes Store account...

...As our way of apologizing for this situation, and the inconvenience that this has caused, we'd like to offer you a Gift Certificate in the amount of 15 GBP.

Kind of makes you feel warm and fuzzy all over.