Bloomberg accidentally publishes Steve Jobs obituary

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Financial news service Bloomberg spooked some Apple investors on Wednesday when it mistakenly published an obituary for company co-founder Steve Jobs.

The incident occurred at 4:27 p.m Eastern time after a reporter making updates to the stock 17-page obit inadvertently pushed it to thousands of corporate clients through a newswire.

A copy of the release snagged by Gawker shows template holders for Jobs' age and cause of death. Also published with the piece was a laundry list of people Bloomberg reporters should contact in the event of Jobs' passing, including former girl friend Heidi Roizen and Atari founder Nolan Bushnell, who purchased an early circuit board for the game Breakout from Jobs and Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak back in the 70's.

The obit opened by commending Jobs as the man who "helped make personal computers as easy to use as telephones, changed the way animated films are made, persuaded consumers to tune into digital music and refashioned the mobile phone.?

A quote from Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, also published early in the obit, praised Jobs as the best "inspirational leader" he'd ever met. "He's got a belief in the excellence of products," Gates said in the quote recorded over a decade ago. "He's able to communicate that."

Jobs' health has been an ongoing topic of concern for both investors and those who admire his contributions to modern technology ever since his triumphant battle with pancreatic cancer five years ago. Those worries peaked earlier this year when unsettling photos from Apple's annual developers conference raised new questions as to the cause behind the chief executive's increasingly gaunt appearance.

The Times later reported that Jobs had been battling a nutritional problem in the wake of his cancer surgery, and that he recently underwent a second surgical procedure to address an issue that was contributing to his weight loss. However, some still feared his cancer may have returned in the process.

To set all matters straight, Jobs personally contacted the Times' Joe Nocera by telephone, called him a "slime bucket," but then added that his ongoing health issues weren?t life-threatening and that he doesn?t have a recurrence of cancer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    I've always been told to be prepared but this?
  • Reply 2 of 56
    Holy moley... rumors of his death have been greatly exaggerated.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    wow... unbelievable.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Media outlets often prepare obits on famous personalities in advance.

Jobs will have fun with this at the next media event.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    in your headline you accidently misspelled the word accidentally.

\
  • Reply 6 of 56
    Wow, I can't believe he's dead.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    This is SLANDEROUS.....I would sue these bastards.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah
  • Reply 9 of 56
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    That's unbelievable!

Poor Steve, good thing he at least got to use that (in)famous insult one last time!

But in all seriousness, seeing your own obituary in the paper would be really spooky... no?

Jimzip
  • Reply 10 of 56
    I wish the obit was more believable and was published while the market was open.

I would love to see how the market would react.

Would AAPL shed 10% of it's value or 50%?

What kind of buying opportunity will the real obit create?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Long live our glorious leader!
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blogorant View Post

I've always been told to be prepared but this?

This is standard practice. All the major publications and TV companies have pre-prepared biographies and obituaries, at least in outline form, for most public figures. They don't normally leak them beforehand though - very embarrassing!
  • Reply 12 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    A lawsuit is happening, I can feel it.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    What if I told you that he really was gone and that what you see is his clone. This could easily be the case and if you think I'm living in another dimension I am.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Steve's not going to let the Grim Reaper take him until he's damn well ready!
  • Reply 15 of 56
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    he's been gone a long time, think "weekend at stevie's". Ivey's been the puppet master, propping the stock up!

I hope he stays around a long time, I like his attitude (over the top), and his design and style. The world is a better place for it.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    That is wrong on so many levels.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I guarantee that no less than 3 people lost their jobs for this.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Haha. Steve Jobs: Dying since 1955...

Still nice to get to read your own obit. Perhaps if more people did they'd live their lives a bit better.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Now this ALMOST forces Steve Jobs to show up on some TV or in public to show he's still alive, but in what shape???
  • Reply 20 of 56
    For some reason, I now have the Faith No More song, "Surprise! You're Dead" stuck in my head....