Apple confirms September 9th special event: "Let's Rock"

Comments

• Reply 61 of 154
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kari.patila View Post

This really sucks. I need to order a MBP now, not in a month, so I have no choice but to get one. I've already pushed the purchase date too far. It's either that or not working until the new ones are released.

Or rent one for a couple of weeks.
  • Reply 62 of 154
    The invite image is a mockup of an iPod/iPhone display, but the dimensions are different.

It is essentially a 540 x 400 pixel display, which is a 4:3 pixel ratio instead of the current iPod Touch and iPhone pixel ratio of3:2.

The iPod display now is 163 pixels per inch and is a 3.5 inch diagonal display. At the same resolution, a 540x400 iPod display would be a 4 inch diagonal display.
  • Reply 63 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But the clickwheel is better for when your hand is using the device in a pocket.

Or anytime you need to stay focused on something else and still be enabled to use the iPod. My point also.
  • Reply 64 of 154
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottdburnett View Post

The invite image is a mockup of an iPod/iPhone display, but the dimensions are different.

It is essentially a 540 x 400 pixel display, which is a 4:3 pixel ratio instead of the current iPod Touch and iPhone pixel ratio of3:2.

The iPod display now is 163 pixels per inch and is a 3.5 inch diagonal display. At the same resolution, a 540x400 iPod display would be a 4 inch diagonal display.

If you look at the curved corners, you will see that it is in fact a window. Clearly because it's a window, but not a full Mac OS X window, it's an iTablet OS window, and the iPod software on the iTablet is going to step backwards to classic iPod interface instead of using the iPhone software.

i.e., you can't read anything from this, it makes no sense to go to a 4:3 pixel ratio. 3:2 is a good compromise between 4:3 and 16:9.
  • Reply 65 of 154
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Thanks Apple for another special event for iPods.

Now seriously, after this one, please focus on the Mac Hardware and software.

We need:

MacBook Pro updates

MacPro updates

Displays updates

on the software side, improvements and bug fixing on Leopard and many other apps.

Just a bit tired of massive iPhone and iPod news lately.
  • Reply 66 of 154
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

I don't get it, why are so many of you jumping up and down for music subscriptoins? Exploding media is the mess Apple rescued us from! Unless they offer it as a concession to the Music Labels in order to get iTunes+ to be wider-adopted it's insane

I used to be wanting a subscription, but I no longer need it. I have all of the music that I want. But, that being said, I really only listen to 80's music, and they aren't making much new 80's music. People who listen to Pop music would proably love a subscription.

Beatles? Who cares. I already have all the Beatles music that I want. I would imaging that most people do too.

I'm hoping for a 4 or 8GB Shuffle wtih no physical changes maybe other than a usb plug to use it for data, like a thumb drive.

I also need a new MacBook. i just sold my old one, before new ones are announced, so that it still had it's value.
  • Reply 66 of 154
    Quote:

silouette

Dude, don't you have spell-check? It's silhouette!

I think it's a new geology hardware/software system. San Francisco is a place where people are highly concerned with seismology.

That's how I'm reading the secret message that Apple subliminally sent out today!
  • Reply 68 of 154
    (Forgive me for not reading each and every post)

I'm reading here and it seems we have people who feel that the click wheel is still needed. I must fully disagree. I used to own a Sony MD Walkman, was pretty awesome (I was 12), the point though is, it had this remote attachment (it worked without it). It worked great, very very tactical, and it even had a built in display so I didn't have to take my Walkman out of my pocket to see what track I was on (had CD TEXT) turn up the volume, etc. Why is it thought that a click wheel is so important? When obviously it wouldn't be hard to put a remote inline with the dock connect. Here's what i'm talking about http://store.whsle.biz/images/RM-MC33EL.jpg

Also the touch interface is far superior if you know what you're doing
  • Reply 69 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

If you look at the curved corners, you will see that it is in fact a window. Clearly because it's a window, but not a full Mac OS X window, it's an iTablet OS window, and the iPod software on the iTablet is going to step backwards to classic iPod interface instead of using the iPhone software.

i.e., you can't read anything from this, it makes no sense to go to a 4:3 pixel ratio. 3:2 is a good compromise between 4:3 and 16:9.

What are you smoking?!...
  • Reply 70 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

You're right, it doesn't make sense to take a step backward for the iPod/iPhone display.

Perhaps it is a "future product transition" and not an iPod.
  • Reply 71 of 154
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

I'm reading here and it seems we have people who feel that the click wheel is still needed. <snip> Here's what i'm talking about http://store.whsle.biz/images/RM-MC33EL.jpg

So you would have me attach a funky device to my iPod to accomplish what it already does with the click wheel?

To quote Ronbo from an earlier post: "The iPhone touch interface is perfect for manipulating what you're attending to visually. It's nice for watching movies and such. But it requires more work than the scroll wheel for music and audio-book tasks."
  • Reply 72 of 154
    Sad to say, it isn't hard to predict what Apple will do based on its history:

iPod shuffle: 2GB ($49) and 4GB ($69)

iPod nano: tall redesign, 8GB ($149) and 16GB ($199), multiple new colours

iPod touch: slight redesign, 8GB ($199), 16GB ($299), 32GB ($399), 64GB ($499)

iPod classic: may drop to just one model, 120GB ($249); I haven't seen a 1.8-inch drive above 160GB.

The bias is definitely towards the iPod touch now. Why promote an iPod classic other than to keep the capacity-at-all-costs types happy? The iPod touch lets Apple skim a little profit just about any time you want to load it with something: a bit for your third-party app, a bit from your iTunes song or video, even a bit from your major firmware upgrade. Not to mention that many people increasingly want a mobile platform, not just a one-function gadget.
  • Reply 73 of 154
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    If there is one thing we have learned from Apple's invite graphics and posters and MW, it is that we have no freekn' clue what they are going to do. So we wait and guess aimlessly until the day comes.
  • Reply 74 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Would I have mentioned it if it wasn't an issue?

If I fail to clean the face of the touch regularly then I start to see blurring of the image after a while from all of the prints. And it looks pretty ugly when it's turned off. I wish (just like the iMac) there was an option for a non-glossy face.

And before you bother to mention it, yeah, maybe I do have oily fingertips!

I find the anti-glare screen protector greatly reduces finger prints.
  • Reply 75 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

Sad to say, it isn't hard to predict what Apple will do based on its history:

iPod shuffle: 2GB ($49) and 4GB ($69)

iPod nano: tall redesign, 8GB ($149) and 16GB ($199), multiple new colours

iPod touch: slight redesign, 8GB ($199), 16GB ($299), 32GB ($399), 64GB ($499)

iPod classic: may drop to just one model, 120GB ($249); I haven't seen a 1.8-inch drive above 160GB.

Apple refreshes iPods in September in preparation for the holidays. No surprise there.

I doubt there will be more than two models of the touch next week; probably 16 and 32GB.

It would be nice to see something surprising like a slightly larger iPod touch that's more suitable for web surfing and e-reading, but I wouldn't count on it.

A switch back to the tall nano form will be welcome. The 3G nano is too easy to drop and hard to operate one-handed.
  • Reply 76 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

I find the anti-glare screen protector greatly reduces finger prints.

What kind? Perhaps I should get one.
  • Reply 77 of 154
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I doubt there will be more than two models of the touch next week; probably 16 and 32GB.

I ask and I ask butno one seems to have an answer how Apple could put 64GB flash in the Touch for $500.
  • Reply 78 of 154
    Quote:

What kind? Perhaps I should get one.

You can buy them from the Apple Store Online, but Apple Retail Stores should have plenty in stock.

For iPhone 3G:

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/produc...mco=MTM2MzEwNQ

For iPod touch:

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/produc...g&mco=NzE5NTkx

A $15 investment in your iPhone or iPod touch is nothing. And if you don't like it, you can always remove it without damaging the glass screen. Good luck!
  • Reply 79 of 154
    More to the point, lets hope Steve Jobs is on stage lookin like he ate all the pies
  • Reply 80 of 154
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Nicely Thesaurusized if somewhat inappropriate usage

For bonus points, (without looking it up), upon which syllable does the emphasis fall? 2nd or 3rd?

Sisyphean or

Sisyphean

My personal Sisyphean task is convincing people (particularly our friends in the UK) that corporations are singular, not plural. Apple 'is', not Apple 'are'.

Drives me nuts.