Apple confirms September 9th special event: "Let's Rock"

Comments

• Reply 101 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Nicely Thesaurusized if somewhat inappropriate usage

Haha, thanks. But it wasn't a thesaurus -- I'm actually a fan of classical mythology (and Camus, to boot). To amplify, with every announced media event, I hope there'll be a significant refresh of the MBP line. There isn't. But new rumors always follow, as do new hopes -- again, to no avail.

An emotional boulder, if you will.
  • Reply 102 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

For bonus points, (without looking it up), upon which syllable does the emphasis fall? 2nd or 3rd?

Sisyphean or

Sisyphean

My personal Sisyphean task is convincing people (particularly our friends in the UK) that corporations are singular, not plural. Apple 'is', not Apple 'are'.

Drives me nuts.

I've always said the latter, but I could be wrong. The former is a bit cumbersome. I didn't look this up, either .
  • Reply 103 of 154
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Animal Farm View Post

I've always said the latter, but I could be wrong. The former is a bit cumbersome. I didn't look this up, either .

I second that - only I have to admit I have never used the word. That's just the way it rolled off the tongue.
  • Reply 104 of 154
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Sis•y•phe•an

US Diacritical: |ˌsisəˈfēən|

IPA: |ˈsɪsɪˈfiːən| (Am I the only one who can't wrap their head around IPA?)

The pronunciation is easier to remember by looking at the Greek root, Sisuphos. I love etymology, "Sisyphus is the son of Aeolus, punished in Hades for his misdeeds in life by being condemned to the eternal task of rolling a large stone to the top of a hill, from which it always rolled down again."
  • Reply 105 of 154
    Just to add confusion as to what's coming out when, I was looking at the clearance section of the Apple online store.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....9.5.7.1.3.1.1

• Reply 106 of 154
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

An emotional boulder, if you will.

Great imagery. Now it makes sense. Your struggle is internal. Desire versus pragmatism. Sisyphean, indeed.
  • Reply 107 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Would I have mentioned it if it wasn't an issue?

If I fail to clean the face of the touch regularly then I start to see blurring of the image after a while from all of the prints. And it looks pretty ugly when it's turned off. I wish (just like the iMac) there was an option for a non-glossy face.

And before you bother to mention it, yeah, maybe I do have oily fingertips!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TP...A&mco=MzYwMTkz

Give those a whirl. Fingerprints have been much less of an issue since I picked those up.
  • Reply 108 of 154
    [QUOTE=skottichan;1301702]Just to add confusion as to what's coming out when, I was looking at the clearance section of the Apple online store.

this is a older model iMac, this offer was there for almost like 3 to 4 weeks ... it is not related to update of iMac but iMac may be updated next tuesday.
  • Reply 109 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

Just to add confusion as to what's coming out when, I was looking at the clearance section of the Apple online store.

<image>

Since it says previous generation it's the flagship iMac from late 2007 so that doesn't mean anything as that would be the one you'd expect on he refurbished section.

PS: That was was the flagship then, but now 2.8GHz is the base model for the 24" iMacs costs only $1799. It only comes with a 320GB HDD, but the upgrade to 500GB is only $50 more, which makes is the same price as the one here on clearance but the current model in Penryn, has more L2, faster FSB and faster RAM. That isn't much, but it's enough that I wouldn't think the price would be the same for an older processor.
  • Reply 110 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Since it says previous generation it's the flagship iMac from late 2007 so that doesn't mean anything as that would be the one you'd expect on he refurbished section.

PS: That was was the flagship then, but now 2.8GHz is the base model for the 24" iMacs costs only $1799. It only comes with a 320GB HDD, but the upgrade to 500GB is only $50 more, which makes is the same price as the one here on clearance but the current model in Penryn, has more L2, faster FSB and faster RAM. That isn't much, but it's enough that I wouldn't think the price would be the same for an older processor.

Yeah, I forgot about the recent revision to the 1066MB FSB model. I have to admit, I'm still excited to see what's coming out on the 9th, regardless.
  • Reply 111 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Thanks Apple for another special event for iPods.

Now seriously, after this one, please focus on the Mac Hardware and software.

We need:

MacBook Pro updates

MacPro updates

Displays updates

on the software side, improvements and bug fixing on Leopard and many other apps.

Just a bit tired of massive iPhone and iPod news lately.

Bloody spoiled brats I sware to gawd!
  • Reply 112 of 154
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

I don't get it, why are so many of you jumping up and down for music subscriptoins? Exploding media is the mess Apple rescued us from! Unless they offer it as a concession to the Music Labels in order to get iTunes+ to be wider-adopted it's insane

I don't mind if they offer it. People don't have to get them.
  • Reply 113 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Would I have mentioned it if it wasn't an issue?

I don't know, would you?

Lots of people mention things that aren't issues.

Quote:

If I fail to clean the face of the touch regularly then I start to see blurring of the image after a while from all of the prints. And it looks pretty ugly when it's turned off. I wish (just like the iMac) there was an option for a non-glossy face.

I haven't seen this as an issue. Mine gets smudgy as well, but when it's on, it looks fine. This is the first I'm hearing of it as an issue. Of course, some people think it's an issue because getting fingerprints seems to be an affront, and so they look for problems. I'm not saying that's what's happening to you, but mine does get pretty smudgy before I'm forced to clean it. But unless you actually get gook on the screen, it disappears.

It does look disreputable when off however.

But at least the screen seems to be impervious to normal scratching. I can't say that for the last three Palmphones I had.

Quote:

And before you bother to mention it, yeah, maybe I do have oily fingertips!

Ah, I wasn't. But I do.
  • Reply 114 of 154
    Quote:

I ask and I ask butno one seems to have an answer how Apple could put 64GB flash in the Touch for $500.

You can keep asking, and since none of us here have any idea, you won't get a useful answer.

Ask again in six months to a year.
  • Reply 115 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

You need to get out more.

Actually funny you mention that, as I am from UK, and only yesterday had the 'Apple are' 'Apple is' dilemma. I decided both were equally correct as apple is made up of many people, but at the same time is a singular corpoate entity.

well, now i know.

The English do this wrongly. A corporation, from a legal standpoint is a person. So it should be referred to in the singular. The fact that it has employees shouldn't matter. We aren't referring to them, but the entity.
  • Reply 116 of 154
    Quote:

Mine is to convince people that the beauty of language is in its variety, not its obduration,

The language isn't obdurate, the people arguing about it are.
  • Reply 117 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You should quit that task because in British English, either is correct, depending on context.

It's like trying to convince us that taps are actually called faucets, roads are called pavements and pavements are called sidewalks.

Oh, we can go on forever with this.

One that has always bothered me is that the English call electronic "tubes" "valves".

This is one where they are making much more sense.

Tube only tells us that something is in the glass "tube". Nothing about what it is.

"Valve" tells us what it is, and by extension, what it does.
  • Reply 118 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Dude, if it is directly income producing, get the MBP 512mb VRAM NOW. I'm serious. Because:

1. The MBP currently is at its most stable overall build quality (apart from issues which show up within a few months). Crazy ass sh1t like video chips melting have been solved, for the most part.

Video chips "melting" has not been solved yet in the sense that Nvidia won't get those (hopefully) corrected chips out for a bit yet. Every one of their chips is affected, and it's a scandal in the industry.

We all have to pray that our machines won't be hit by it.

I now understand why Apple was underclocking these chips. People were making a big deal about how Apple's machines were badly designed from a heat standpoint, and so they underclocked their chips. We discussed it here.

Not so! The chips are defective. Every single one of them sold to every single board and computer manufacturer.

Nvidia has been dissembling about it, but it's pretty well understood what the problems were, and are. Nvidia made some bad design decisions.

Apple apparently was compensating for that, successfully, I might add, as Hp, and others, have been seeing vast amounts of defective machines being returned for repair because of this.

Nvidia has had to give about half a billion in compensation so far.
  • Reply 119 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ask again in six months to a year.

in that time frame I'll know how it's possible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

ube only tells us that something is in the glass "tube". Nothing about what it is.

"Valve" tells us what it is, and by extension, what it does.

"The Internet is not a big lorry. It’s a series of valves.”

Nope, still doesn't make sense, but it does fit better into a William Gibson novel.
  • Reply 120 of 154
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

QFT. This is exactly right. The iPod scroll wheel is perfection for music. For listening to things while you multitask. I listen to audio books. I can reach down and rewind, skip forward, skip backward, adjust volume, all without looking at the device.

The iPhone touch interface is perfect for manipulating what you're attending to visually. It's nice for watching movies and such. But it requires more work than the scroll wheel for music and audio-book tasks.

It's also particularly dangerous when you interface an iPod with a car stereo as millions have and will continue to. Talk about something that diverts your attention from the road.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

.....and perhaps the retiring of the iPod classic.

1. See above

2. I don't know if the volume justifies it, but there will always be a steady market for an iPod interfaced device that can function in hard disk mode -- a 320 GB model for photographers traveling light in the field and various other scenarios you can imagine -- and people who want to carry around a whole ton of media with them -- obsessive consumers of great gobs of stuff, DJ's, people wanting to be able to show their portfolios anytime, anywhere, etc.