iPhone snags cover of Best Buy circular ahead of Sunday's launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While there's no sign that sales of Apple's iPhone 3G have slowed, they're due for an incremental boost come Sunday when the device goes on sale at Best Buy retail outlets nationwide.



A copy of next week's Best Buy circular (below) duly notes the handset's arrival with a sprawling glamour shot across its cover, the latest example of a blossoming relationship between Apple and the No. 1 U.S. specialty electronics retailer.



Best Buy has long offered Apple's complete line of iPod digital music players. More recently, it expanded a store-within-a-store concept that highlights most of the company's Mac computer line to approximately 600 of its locations.



On September 7th, Best Buy will also become the first independent U.S. retailer to carry the iPhone 3G when it's put up for sale at 970 Best Buy locations and 16 Best Buy Mobile specialty outlets across the country. More importantly, however, the deal broadens Apple's reach by expanding the number of iPhone distribution points by approximately 30 percent to over 3000 locations.



Up until now, Americans could only purchase the iPhone from approximately 2,200 locations, including approximately 190 Apple retail stores and 2000 mobile phone dealerships operated by exclusive US iPhone carrier AT&T.



According to next week's circular, Best Buy will be promoting free in-store phone and email setup -- a complimentary offering at Apple's own retail shops -- to customers who purchase an iPhone 3G with one of four pre-designed accessory packages.



The packages range in price from $106 for an "On the go" bundle with a 5-pack of DLO surface shields and Shure Stereo headset, to $234 for an "In the car" kit that includes a Belkin FM transmitter and Jawbone Bluetooth headset.







In a report to clients this week, Lehman analyst Ben Reitzes noted that Apple has managed iPhone 3G into a supply and demand equilibrium just in time for Sunday's Best Buy launch. He, along with several other Wall Street analysts, have cited the Best Buy play and recent international roll outs as cause to consider that current quarter iPhone sales estimates have been lowballed.



"We continue to believe our estimate of 3.8 million iPhones sold in Apple?s fiscal fourth quarter is very conservative," he said. "Checks of build plans and in-store demand continue to indicate that investors could be positively surprised by demand this quarter and its impact on Apple?s free cash flow."
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 46
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I keep hearing that they're going on sale at all Best Buy locations, but I don't think that's true. My home state of Montana doesn't have AT&T service, nor do a few other states I believe, so I sincerely doubt our Best Buys are going to be selling iPhones.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post


    I keep hearing that they're going on sale at all Best Buy locations, but I don't think that's true. My home state of Montana doesn't have AT&T service, nor do a few other states I believe, so I sincerely doubt our Best Buys are going to be selling iPhones.



    That would make sense as there would be no way for Best Buy Mobile to set you up with an AT&T account. I'm sure you won't be finding any of those flyers in your local paper.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Why in HELL does Best Buy charge 99 cents EXTRA to buy the iPhone from them? I know it's only 99 cents but there is NO reason one should have to pay MORE just to get a phone at Best Buy.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Is 99 cents really gonna break you? Oy, vey. If you don't like it, spend the extra 2 bucks in gas going somewhere else.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Is 99 cents really gonna break you? Oy, vey. If you don't like it, spend the extra 2 bucks in gas going somewhere else.



    NO. 99 cents will not break me but IF I were in the market for a new iPhone I would go to ATT just out of principle. There is NO reason BB should be charging MORE to get the iPhone there. It's just stupid.



    Oh, and the ATT store is closer to my house so I'd save on gas, too.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Will BestBuy activate your phone on spot?? like att and apple does?? or no....



    Im hoping not so then i can go out and buy the new phone without all the plan charges
  • Reply 8 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakarpinsk1 View Post


    Will BestBuy activate your phone on spot?? like att and apple does?? or no....



    Im hoping not so then i can go out and buy the new phone without all the plan charges



    Part of your comment seems serious and part seems joking. I'll answer as though you are serious. Whether they activate it or not, you still have to signup for an AT&T account.



    Not all Apple Stores activate the phones for you. When I got mine, they let me do it self without even opening up the iPhone box.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Part of your comment seems serious and part seems joking. I'll answer as though you are serious. Whether they activate it or not, you still have to signup for an AT&T account.



    Not all Apple Stores activate the phones for you. When I got mine, they let me do it self without even opening up the iPhone box.



    What i mean is are you going to be able to purchase just the phone like you were able to when the 1st generation iPhone came out.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakarpinsk1 View Post


    What i mean is are you going to be able to purchase just the phone like you were able to when the 1st generation iPhone came out.



    The prices on the flyer don't indicate a full, subscription-free price so I'd no. When that does happen, Apple Stores will surely be selling them at the $599/$699 price along with any other chain they have partnered with.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakarpinsk1 View Post


    What i mean is are you going to be able to purchase just the phone like you were able to when the 1st generation iPhone came out.



    No.



    Not that it matters - the 3G can't be unlocked (hasn't yet, at least) to run on networks like Tmobile's.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The prices on the flyer don't indicate a full, subscription-free price so I'd no. When that does happen, Apple Stores will surely be selling them at the $599/$699 price along with any other chain they have partnered with.



    They do have those prices on the flyer, although they use them as the "regular" price and indicate that their price is some kind of "sale." So by buying from Best Buy "On Sale" you are paying more than anywhere else.



    In Canada, that advertisement would be illegal. First it's a lie that you can buy one for the higher price, second there appears to be no mention of the contract.



    Totally misleading, and intentionally so.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    They do have those prices on the flyer, although they use them as the "regular" price and indicate that their price is some kind of "sale." So by buying from Best Buy "On Sale" you are paying more than anywhere else.



    In Canada, that advertisement would be illegal. First it's a lie that you can buy one for the higher price, second there appears to be no mention of the contract.



    Totally misleading, and intentionally so.



    I didn't even see the regular prices being mentioned. I was pulling them from what AT&T said they would be once they stop requiring a contract upfront (not that it would matter since it's still locked and no other carrier in the US can utilize those bands in the US). The do have a "See page 2 for details" remark and a '1' and '2' next to the capacity and price, though the remarks are not listed on that page.



    I agree that it's not truthful enough. I wish the US would pass laws that would require the full amount to be disclosed for the contract, included any and all additional fees and taxes.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    yes, as with all 3G iPhones you have to have it unbricked at the location of purchased, or else it wont work. And all best buy items use a ".99" ending, so I imagine it just keeping up with their normal doings. and your claim about them acting like it is on sale, is kinda asinine. it lists the price in a normal best buy price tag and considering everything is "for sale" at best buy and all they were showing is that it is advertised. If something at best buy says "as advertised" on the tag some people automatically assume it is on-sale, when that isn't true, it is just advertised. and i think it is silly to seriously get hung up on .99 cents. even if it just on "principal" which still makes no sense.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:

    yes, as with all 3G iPhones you have to have it unbricked at the location of purchased, or else it wont work. And all best buy items use a ".99" ending, so I imagine it just keeping up with their normal doings. and your claim about them acting like it is on sale, is kinda asinine. it lists the price in a normal best buy price tag and considering everything is "for sale" at best buy and all they were showing is that it is advertised. If something at best buy says "as advertised" on the tag some people automatically assume it is on-sale, when that isn't true, it is just advertised. and i think it is silly to seriously get hung up on .99 cents. even if it just on "principal" which still makes no sense.



    Finally, somebody who makes sense.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakarpinsk1 View Post


    What i mean is are you going to be able to purchase just the phone like you were able to when the 1st generation iPhone came out.



    You still have to sign a contract before you leave, so no, it's not quite the same. They sign you up with the plan, scan the serial number bar code on the back of the box and it's paired to your account. Whether or not they activate it or you go home to do it, that part of the process really doesn't matter.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexandercase View Post


    yes, as with all 3G iPhones you have to have it unbricked at the location of purchased, or else it wont work.



    This is not true according to my experience and that of solipsism. Once the phone's information is in the system, any working copy of the latest itunes should unlock it. The version at the store is just a cut-down activation only version.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexandercase View Post


    and i think it is silly to seriously get hung up on .99 cents. even if it just on "principal" which still makes no sense.



    If you're already at Best Buy, that little difference won't get you very far in gas, not to mention time lost fighting even more traffic to get to the location that offers the 1/3%-1/2% lower price.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    edit: pipped by JeffDM.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:

    What i mean is are you going to be able to purchase just the phone like you were able to when the 1st generation iPhone came out.



    I would imagine they are setting the phones up right there in the store. They are advertising email setup in the store with the purchase of an accessory package, and that's pretty hard to do without activating the phone first. My guess is yes, but maybe they will set it up only if you get Geek Squad service.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post


    Why in HELL does Best Buy charge 99 cents EXTRA to buy the iPhone from them? I know it's only 99 cents but there is NO reason one should have to pay MORE just to get a phone at Best Buy.



    Best Buy has a price match policy. I'm sure it applies to the iPhone as well. A rep at our local Best buy said that Best Buy would match the price of any phone from AT&T, including the price after rebate. If Best Buy has a phone for $149.99, and AT&T has it for $200.00 ($100 after rebate), Best will sell you the phone for $100, and you don't have to wait for the rebate. The rep also said they were being trained to set up and activate the iPhone.



    By the way, this is my first post here.



    Ron
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Boycott appleinsider now that they have sunk to a new low with political advertisements.



    The website should stick with advertisements based on their content, not to promote their political beliefs.
Sign In or Register to comment.