Apple notebook overhaul rumored for mid-October

Comments

• Reply 141 of 177
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They are cheaper, but they are also pointlessm, except using as a talking point. Have a BR reader would do nothing to help Apple or its Pro users who are wanting a burner.

Not all Apple's customers are pros. In fact, I'd hazard that the majority are consumers. In which case, a read-only BD drive is not "pointless", you use it to watch blu-ray films; as I said earlier you can use DVI out to view on a large screen, so the resolution of the built-in screen isn't always an issue.

Quote:

The retail price most closely matches what Apple would charge the customer.

Not necessarily true. A few years back, the retail price of a 1.8" HDD was more than Apple charged for an iPod of the same capacity.

Quote:

You can't convince me that Apple will add a half inch thickness to it's notebooks just so it can add non-burning, tray-loading Blu-ray player.

I'm not trying to convince you of that. I don't think Apple will do it, neither do I think they should. What I am trying to convince you of is that Sony aren't making a loss on their $999 laptop with built-in blu-ray.

Off topic:

Quote:

Sony doesn't even offer BR to it's equivalently thin notebooks.

Please read my signature. I'm raising this because I've never seen you get this right.
  • Reply 142 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

Judging from the way Steve practically drooled when he mentioned the word HD in his iPod/MUSIC presentation Tuesday, I'd say there is an excellent chance we'll see a HD screen option "for the Holiday season," possibly on the new 17" MBP. Indeed, there is no reason not to try it out on the folks who use those machines for the highest quality "mobile" work available.

The only thing Mr Jobs seems to care about more these days is "thin". He was looking a lot better, though, wasn't he.

I might be misunderstanding you, but there's already an option for a 1920x1200 screen in the 17" MBP. And everything down to the macbook can display 720p HD content at full size.
  • Reply 143 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Not all Apple's customers are pros. In fact, I'd hazard that the majority are consumers. In which case, a read-only BD drive is not "pointless", you use it to watch blu-ray films; as I said earlier you can use DVI out to view on a large screen, so the resolution of the built-in screen isn't always an issue.

They are mostly consumers, and that number is growing faster than the Pro market, but still contend that a BR-ROM is still cost prohibitive.s, even if it were 9.5mm and was the price of the current $150 price you mentioned. But I can't find a drive that would fit in most of the Mac lineup, and even a BR-ROM would be cost prohibitive when compared to a standalone appliance, which makes the argument of using the video-out a moot point for the consumer since it's an expensive, complex setup that disables using the PC for other functions while it's connected. There will some consumers that would want it but there are also consumers that still get serial ports and RJ-11 jacks on their PCs.

edit: If you Google it, Panasonic did announce 9.5mm tray-loading BR reader/burners back in December 2007 to be demoed at CES in 2008, but since then there has been no word and no sales that i can find that makes this a viable product ready for Apple in October. Perhaps in January, at MacWorld, after Blu-ray takes a biggest chunk out of DVD this holiday season with lower priced players.

Quote:

Not necessarily true. A few years back, the retail price of a 1.8" HDD was more than Apple charged for an iPod of the same capacity.

You could be right, but I don't remember that. I do recall the 1" drives were pretty expensive if you wanted to fix your iPod Mini, but that is what you expect when buying replacement parts, and it wasn't more than the iPod itself.

Quote:

I'm not trying to convince you of that. I don't think Apple will do it, neither do I think they should. What I am trying to convince you of is that Sony aren't making a loss on their $999 laptop with built-in blu-ray.

They were, but maybe they aren't any longer. What we need to decide is if a Blu-ray ROM would even make sense for Apple. I don't think so. If they were going to offer it would be for their Professional market. This would be mean an option for the Mac Pro, MBP 17" and iMac 24", and a new version of Apple's Pro apps being released to take advantage of this optional drive.

Quote:

Please read my signature. I'm raising this because I've never seen you get this right.

Seriously? If I were a rampant abuser of the incorrectly placed apostrophe I'd understand the correction.
  • Reply 144 of 177
    Quote:

but still contend that a BR-ROM is still cost prohibitive.s, even if it were 9.5mm and was the price of the current $150 price you mentioned.

I agree that finding a drive thin enough and slot-loading is an issue for Apple.

Quote:

But I can't find a drive that would fit in most of the Mac lineup, and even a BR-ROM would be cost prohibitive when compared to a standalone appliance, which makes the argument of using the video-out a moot point for the consumer since it's an expensive, complex setup that disables using the PC for other functions while it's connected.

FYI, I don't know why it's called BD-ROM, but it is.

expensive, complex setup? Hardly. Most flat screens have HDMI inputs on the side (easy to get to for a temporary connection), and the MacBooks have optical audio out. It's a matter of two cables. I often connect my MacBook to my 50" plasma via HDMI and home theatre amplifier via optical cable and it works very well.

The thing is, that when the rest of the market offers BD-ROM at the $999 price point and below, and with Apple you don't get it even when paying twice as much, that can feel a bit galling. There's only so far Apple can push it in terms of lacking features before it puts people off.

Quote:

Seriously? If I were a rampant abuser of the incorrectly placed apostrophe I'd understand the correction.

that was kind of my point... you are! I have never seen you write "its" when meaning "belonging to it", you always use "it's" which is incorrect.
  • Reply 145 of 177
    Quote:

FYI, I don't know why it's called BD-ROM, but it is.

That makes sense as CD-ROM and DVD-ROM all refer to the word disc.

Quote:

expensive, complex setup? Hardly. Most flat screens have HDMI inputs on the side (easy to get to for a temporary connection), and the MacBooks have optical audio out. It's a matter of two cables. I often connect my MacBook to my 50" plasma via HDMI and home theatre amplifier via optical cable and it works very well.

Compared to putting in a disc into a dedicated player and flipping the TV to appropriate component or HDMI input, yet. There is no DVD app to launch and put in full screen, no mail or IM or any other apps to turn off that could cause sounds or popups to interfere or interrupt your playback.

Quote:

The thing is, that when the rest of the market offers BD-ROM at the $999 price point and below, and with Apple you don't get it even when paying twice as much, that can feel a bit galling. There's only so far Apple can push it in terms of lacking features before it puts people off.

I don't buy this argument, putting a BRD into a computer doesn't make it a more advanced notebook. Even without the BRD there is no way that Dell or Sony are selling a $999 notebook that has a better processor than a MB (except for perhaps right now while Apple is still waiting to release Montevina, but that would probably only be with a system around $999 without a BRD), but with a BRD we are talking about an even worse performing system. Especially if they are making a profit on the high-end option of a BRD.

Quote:

that was kind of my point... you are! I have never seen you write "its" when meaning "belonging to it", you always use "it's" which is incorrect.

I don't care about too much about my grammar and spelling here since it's a tech forum, but I do spend plenty of time on etymology forums so I have grown accustomed to abiding my proper English rules. You'll have to point some out to me as I don't believe you can say I'm rampant.
  • Reply 146 of 177
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

I might be misunderstanding you, but there's already an option for a 1920x1200 screen in the 17" MBP. And everything down to the macbook can display 720p HD content at full size.

You are absolutely right, of course. I was really thinking of the availability of content and ways to use that marvelous capability.

I really would like to use these computer screens for TV rather than having to buy a TV that gives me less.
  • Reply 147 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

No, I understand what you're saying, it's just that what you're saying is wrong

You are correct that you won't see all that Blu-Ray has to offer on a 1280x800 screen, because you're scaling down a 1920x1080 image to fit that screen, but what you're failing to acknowledge is that even without that additional resolution, Blu-Ray's still going to look far and away superior to Apple's low-bitrate "HD" downloads. You don't need a 60" Plasma to see the quality difference between an image saved at 100% quality and the same image saved at 33% quality. It doesn't matter if you're looking at the image on your laptop two feet in front of your face, or on a 60" Plasma eight feet away; the difference in quality would be equally apparent.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. You claim Apple is taking away 67% of what the original video has to offer by both compressing and encoding for 720P. I claim that the lousy Sony laptop screen can only display 33% (picking a number just for fun) of what the original video has to offer anyway. Let's be real here... laptop drives, even at equal resolution, are nowhere close to a high quality TV set display. Black levels, sharpness, response, they're all inferior. Now that you brought up the percentage thing, please tell us what percentage you assign to the Sony laptop for ability to display the original content.
  • Reply 148 of 177
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Jeez!

I just wish they would hurry up and release whatever it is that they're going to release, already!

I'm really up against it... I desperately need a MacBook Pro for my work ? but it would be idiotic to buy one right now with a new iteration just around the corner.

If I buy one now it's going to plummet in value when the new one is announced ? but I need one right now for work that is in hand!

The only consolation is that they are bound to have worked the kinks out of the current model by now (it's got to be about two hundred years old).
  • Reply 149 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Jeez!

I just wish they would hurry up and release whatever it is that they're going to release, already!

I'm really up against it... I desperately need a MacBook Pro for my work ? but it would be idiotic to buy one right now with a new iteration just around the corner.

If I buy one now it's going to plummet in value when the new one is announced ? but I need one right now for work that is in hand!

The only consolation is that they are bound to have worked the kinks out of the current model by now (it's got to be about two hundred years old).

The value is relative. You shouldn't care that the current MBP will be $300 cheaper on Apple's website if you plan on using it for a couple years. The value at its EOL won't be too much different from the next model, even if their is a case change. What is important is your need for a computer now. If you can wait, until the reported October 14th date, then you should if you need to have the latest HW, but if it's affecting your ability to do work by not having one then you should buy one. Today is the last day to get your free iPod with the BtS program.

The 'kinks' issue is also valid. I'd recommend to anyone that is buying their first Mac or that will be using it as their primary machine for work to hold off to see what issues might arise with a new build.
  • Reply 150 of 177
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    If you need the kit, you need the kit. Right?

If I turn down work because I don't have the necessary kit, then that's costing me money as well.

But Jobs & Co. have a nasty habit of standing on stage and telling everyone that the new iteration is far faster than the previous. The performance gaps have been huge in the past, and I don't care how dispassionately you look at it, it always sticks in the craw. Especially when the new design packs more of a punch at a cheaper price point and Apple can't give the previous generation away via the refurb site.

I've been in that situation before, and I didn't enjoy it much.

If I'm plonking down my hard-earned I want to make damn sure that I'm getting absolutely the best value for money. I just always seem to need a machine just before the new kit is announced. Even my Apple Business Advisor has been applauding my hesitation to buy the current model.

Frustrating. I just wish that Apple would pre-announce products ? it's not as though their ship isn't leaking as it is. At least that way I could make an informed decision about whether to hold out or not. It's the not knowing what's coming that is the pain.

Grrrrr....
  • Reply 151 of 177
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Frustrating. I just wish that Apple would pre-announce products ? it's not as though their ship isn't leaking as it is. At least that way I could make an informed decision about whether to hold out or not. It's the not knowing what's coming that is the pain.

Grrrrr....

pre-announce? they might as well shut the doors of the store between releases. Who would buy the current model if they knew in a month or two it was going to change drastically (or speed bump).

As with any tech, it goes without saying, your purchase is obsolete when you walk out the door with it. No matter, the question is, does it satisfy your current needs?
  • Reply 152 of 177
    Quote:

Frustrating. I just wish that Apple would pre-announce products – it's not as though their ship isn't leaking as it is. At least that way I could make an informed decision about whether to hold out or not. It's the not knowing what's coming that is the pain.

I don't really see what is so frustrating. You know they are coming, you just don't know when. You Apple is secretive, so that isn't a surprise. In fact, it's part of what makes their products so news worthy. You know they will have Montevina/Penryn chips. If you look at the chip over chip comparisons you can see that the speed increases for the model you want won't be that dramatic in terms on raw processing. An average of only 200MHz and that will bested another half-year down the road.

Macs do have good resale value as it is, so selling it on eBay won't be a problem if you want to get a new one shortly shouldn't be much of an issue. or you could by a used machine or a cheap Dell or HP for $400 to tide you over and then keep as a backup or sell it. Or you could by an MSI Wind and install OSx86 on it, and then keep it as ultra-portable backup, assuming you could get by with it in the interim. Or you can wait 2 weeks and then buy a new MBP within 14 days of the suspected release. Then you can return the old MBP for a new one and pay the 10% restocking fee. Or just use what you have now.
  • Reply 153 of 177
    Quote:

If you need the kit, you need the kit. Right?

If I turn down work because I don't have the necessary kit, then that's costing me money as well.

But Jobs & Co. have a nasty habit of standing on stage and telling everyone that the new iteration is far faster than the previous. The performance gaps have been huge in the past, and I don't care how dispassionately you look at it, it always sticks in the craw. Especially when the new design packs more of a punch at a cheaper price point and Apple can't give the previous generation away via the refurb site.

I've been in that situation before, and I didn't enjoy it much.

If I'm plonking down my hard-earned I want to make damn sure that I'm getting absolutely the best value for money. I just always seem to need a machine just before the new kit is announced. Even my Apple Business Advisor has been applauding my hesitation to buy the current model.

Grrrrr....

I agree, I?m pissed that I am passing up the back to school deal, throwing away the free ipod, just so I don?t kick myself when the new macbook come out. If I knew what was going to be in them, then I could just be like, Ehhh yeah ill stick with the old ones, or wow I will wait for the new ones. The only thing I am really hoping for is a dedicated video card of some sort in the macbook. I actually like the white and black, and would almost want them to keep that instead of the aluminum.
  • Reply 154 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacNub View Post

I agree, I’m pissed that I am passing up the back to school deal, throwing away the free ipod, just so I don’t kick myself when the new macbook come out. If I knew what was going to be in them, then I could just be like, Ehhh yeah ill stick with the old ones, or wow I will wait for the new ones. The only thing I am really hoping for is a dedicated video card of some sort in the macbook. I actually like the white and black, and would almost want them to keep that instead of the aluminum.

Then get a current MB with the iPod today. Or buy an older MB on the refurb site. I'm guessing that compared to what you have now it will be considerably faster.

I wouldn't expect a discrete GPU in the MB. Montevina has the GMA X4500 which is much better than the GMA X3100 and uses less power. Since the 1300 can run DVI and the internal LCD just fine I see no reason for it on their basic notebook.
  • Reply 155 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacNub View Post

I agree, I?m pissed that I am passing up the back to school deal, throwing away the free ipod, just so I don?t kick myself when the new macbook come out. If I knew what was going to be in them, then I could just be like, Ehhh yeah ill stick with the old ones, or wow I will wait for the new ones. The only thing I am really hoping for is a dedicated video card of some sort in the macbook. I actually like the white and black, and would almost want them to keep that instead of the aluminum.

In that case you should definitely get the current one. All signs point to the next one being aluminium and there's no way they'll have dedicated graphics.
  • Reply 156 of 177
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OMG- that's so funny- I scroll down the page and the very first thing I read says "Do not buy this".

Seriously isn't that size outdated in that 16:9 would be 32" as most HD TVs are?

1) You claimed it had to be 32" to be WS. This is false...which is why you got the link to prove this.

2) The 30" ACD is a bit long of tooth but is widescreen and 30". As is the Dell 2008 30" widescreen montitor (new) and the HP 30" widescreen monitor (new), the Samsung 30" widescreen monitor (new)...

3) A 32" monitor like most HDTVs would SUCK because the resolution is so low. The "outdated" ACD is 2560 x 1600 vs a 32" HDTV at 1920x1080. Actually most 32" TVs are probably 720p these days since they are "small".

The 30" ACD does need a refresh but is a better monitor than any 32" HDTV. Today the largest common widescreen COMPUTER monitor is 30".

4) OMG - that's so funny - you're clueless AND unwilling to accept new information without getting smacked by a cluebat in the face.
  • Reply 157 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

4) OMG - that's so funny - you're clueless AND unwilling to accept new information without getting smacked by a cluebat in the face.

Perhaps the thing that he's confused by is that widescreen computer monitors are 16:10 whilst widescreen displays are 16:9? Whatever, both ratios are "widescreen" in that they're wider than 4:3.

Having said that, there's a new manufacturing facility that came online recently making 16.4" 16:9 panels for laptops. Sony are using them in their FW series, but they've got a resolution of "only" 1600 x 900, I don't know if they're available with higher resolution.
  • Reply 158 of 177
    Quote:

That makes sense as CD-ROM and DVD-ROM all refer to the word disc.

Indeed. I just would have thought BRD-ROM would make more sense, but I guess the "B" in BD is standing for "Blu-ray" rather than just "Blu".

Quote:

Compared to putting in a disc into a dedicated player and flipping the TV to appropriate component or HDMI input, yes.

OK, I'll give you complicated. But not expensive. The opposite, in fact.

The thing is, that right now Blu-ray players have a very low market penetration. However, now that the HD format war is over and more and more HDTVs are sold, you can be sure that folk will be more and more interested in getting a BD player. So, if they're getting a new computer and that has blu-ray: bonus! No need to buy a dedicated player! You save money. Currently, I've an HD-ready plasma but only a DVD player; if the new MacBook Pro has BD-ROM then I won't need to bother getting a stand-alone blu-ray deck.

Quote:

I don't care about too much about my grammar and spelling here since it's a tech forum, but I do spend plenty of time on etymology forums so I have grown accustomed to abiding my proper English rules. You'll have to point some out to me as I don't believe you can say I'm rampant.

If AI's search engine allowed me to search for "it's", then I would. You'll just have to take my word for it
  • Reply 159 of 177
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garetjax View Post

Apple offers a 1920x1200 option for the 17" - I was just thinking of the same for the 15.4". True it isn't for everyone - but for those of us that plug our macbooks into a 24" screen and run 1920x1200 on it because we run apps which require lots of screenspace like for palettes it is a godsend.

Have you used the 15.4" at 1920x1200? The real estate is nice but a tad small to work with for long periods. Maybe Im just getting old.

Quote:

I think you missed where I said I would run OSx86 - it is the open source version of OSX - not linux.

Its not open source but pirated.

Quote:

Simply because with the open source version of OSX I can run Apple Software on almost any laptop. I agree Apple outclasses all the other pc laptop vendors but like I said twice the cost is twice the cost.

Again, its not open source. Linux is open source. OSX is not. Darwin is open source. OSX is not. If your going to steal, go for it. I'll likely try to OSX on a netbook at some point to fool around but don't kid yourself. If you do it for a real work machine its theft.

(' deliberately removed so Mr. H goes insane. Id have ' some plural's except I didnt have any. Until now.)
  • Reply 160 of 177
    Quote:

OK, I'll give you complicated. But not expensive. The opposite, in fact.

We know from iTS audio that it's all about convenience. I think the BRD option is more of a talking point than anything else. Is there any evidence that it's being widely adopted by PC buyers?

Quote:

The thing is, that right now Blu-ray players have a very low market penetration. However, now that the HD format war is over and more and more HDTVs are sold, you can be sure that folk will be more and more interested in getting a BD player. So, if they're getting a new computer and that has blu-ray: bonus! No need to buy a dedicated player! You save money. Currently, I've an HD-ready plasma but only a DVD player; if the new MacBook Pro has BD-ROM then I won't need to bother getting a stand-alone blu-ray deck.

The upcoming revision is the first one since the official demise of the HD-DVD, so we'll see next month. But I still say that only the Mac Pro would potentially get the option, a smaller chance for the 17" MBP and 24" IMac, and no chance for another Mac. Does Apple offer any built-in drivers for desktop-grade internal or external BRD burners/players, or are those being shipped by the manufacturer?

Quote:

If AI's search engine allowed me to search for "it's", then I would. You'll just have to take my word for it

I'm sure that I've missed some out, but as I stated, this is a tech forum, not a language forum. As long as my point is understood I don't really care. You can view all my posts here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

(' deliberately removed so Mr. H goes insane. Id have ' some plural's except I didnt have any. Until now.)

Your going to ruin his Monday.