Apple releases iPhone Software v2.1

1246716

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leehblanc View Post


    It seems they've fixed one of the most annoying bugs that doesn't get a lot of press. In my office, (in the middle of a brick and steel building) I get 1 bar. 20 feet away, once I am outside, I get 4-5. Often, when walking outside, it would take up to 1 minute for the phone to realize it had a signal. Also, in certain places on my desk, it loses signal. Reorienting the phone would again take up to 1 minute for it to "realize" it had signal. Now, it appears to be instant.



    Yep i'm hearing you there. Same situation for me. Now i can load YouTube video without having to go outside.
  • Reply 62 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post






    Heres where you get the genius app.



    It's important to note that you need to sync your phone in itunes before you see the Genius icon and have it enabled in Itunes before it'll do its Genius thing. Genius!!
  • Reply 63 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post






    Heres where you get the genius app.



    Kinda off topic, but how do you post screen shots from your phone?
  • Reply 64 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyV View Post


    Kinda off topic, but how do you post screen shots from your phone?



    Just press the Home button and the power button together and 'Snap!' it takes a screenshot.
  • Reply 65 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post


    Just press the Home button and the power button together and 'Snap!' it takes a screenshot.



    Thanks!
  • Reply 66 of 314
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post


    Because music is just a bunch of files that are able to be accessed, the apps are actually getting installed and becoming part of the operating system. I agree, it should still not be THIS slow, but there is still a lot more going on when you install apps than a simple file transfer.



    A bit of clarification for others reading this...



    Apps are just files as well. They never become "part of the operating system". In fact, the operating system is in a completely separate directory structure that doesn't intermix with app data at all. There is certainly more going on than file copying. But that other stuff isn't accurately described as becoming part of the OS.



    Some of the sluggishness is from apps being made up of many files, sometimes thousands of files per app. These are all contained in the application bundle. Copying a thousand files totallying 10MB will take much longer than copying a single 10MB file.



    The rest of the sluggishness... I'm unsure about. Perhaps the apps are busy finding links to the appropriate versions of installed frameworks.
  • Reply 67 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    I would count that as a blessing.

    Do you really need something to "recommend" music to you and make up bogus playlists? -take all your information and "know" your likes and dislikes?

    Isn't shuffle good enough?

    Do you like when Amazon or Ebay "recommends" crap to you because you bought something vaguely like it? Do you need someone to "recommend" a pair of socks or a shirt to go with your pants you're buying when you shop?



    Well, if you have several different kinds of music on your iPhone, yes, Genius is far better than just plain old shuffle. When I'm listening to Iron Maiden, I don't want it to follow up with Neil Diamond. When I'm listening to Pat Metheny, I don't want the next tune to be a Beethoven concerto.



    It's not about learning my likes and dislikes. It's about reacting to my current mood. That's incredibly valuable to me.
  • Reply 68 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post


    Please, lets agree to use another adjective to describe iPhone software update 2.1 then "snappier"...



    Can I pile on? Remember when the only word used to describe decent software was robust? And PLEASE - can we stop saying that Application B is like Application A on steroids? The first time I heard that it was in reference to Scandisk, in 1995. ARRRGGGH !!
  • Reply 69 of 314
    Just enabled Genius in iTunes, synced my iPhone 3G, selected a track and created a Genius playlist. No previous Genius playlist on my iTunes so i synced the phone expecting the Genius playlist to be synced to iTunes but it isn't.



    Odd!! Is this an oversight in v2.1 or my bad?
  • Reply 70 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post


    A bit of clarification for others reading this...



    Apps are just files as well. They never become "part of the operating system". In fact, the operating system is in a completely separate directory structure that doesn't intermix with app data at all. There is certainly more going on than file copying. But that other stuff isn't accurately described as becoming part of the OS.



    Some of the sluggishness is from apps being made up of many files, sometimes thousands of files per app. These are all contained in the application bundle. Copying a thousand files totallying 10MB will take much longer than copying a single 10MB file.



    The rest of the sluggishness... I'm unsure about. Perhaps the apps are busy finding links to the appropriate versions of installed frameworks.



    Interesting ... but what is the .ipa ... it looks like one file going out. Is that unpackaged somehow when it hits the iphone. I really want to understand because maybe I will hate apple less if i do



    I dread hooking an iphone to itunes now because of the time it takes and I have never been patient enough to wait over an hour for a sync.
  • Reply 71 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post


    Just enabled Genius in iTunes, synced my iPhone 3G, selected a track and created a Genius playlist. No previous Genius playlist on my iTunes so i synced the phone expecting the Genius playlist to be synced to iTunes but it isn't.



    Odd!! Is this an oversight in v2.1 or my bad?



    Oops my bad. Forgot to save the playlist first
  • Reply 72 of 314
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post


    Can I pile on? Remember when the only word used to describe decent software was robust? And PLEASE - can we stop saying that Application B is like Application A on steroids? The first time I heard that it was in reference to Scandisk, in 1995. ARRRGGGH !!



    Yes, but nowadays it's like that metaphor... on steroids.
  • Reply 73 of 314
    Push contacts still not working properly on my iPhone from MobileMe! This is really annouying. Can someone remind me why it was changed from .Mac please?!



    SMS programme as slow as ever on this phone, but contacts works without delay.



    Out of interest, for those having trouble with genius playlists, have you activated then in iTunes? To be honest, it's hopeless anyway.



    Caps lock still working on my iPhone.
  • Reply 74 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post


    Still there on my updated iPhone.



    my caps lock hasn't worked since i got the 2nd gen iphone...
  • Reply 75 of 314
    Text message function is still painfully slow. hit the sms button, and it takes time to bring up various message threads - hit button to start a new message thread and try to add a name and the system hangs - still very slow...
  • Reply 76 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KamileonX View Post


    is it me? or is the iPod on the iPhone 2.1 lacking Genius?



    I ken what you mean. Too early to say how Genius it is in terms of song selection but certainly Genius of Apple to shove the Itunes store right under your nose
  • Reply 77 of 314
    Did anyone notice that their Bluetooth switched Off after the iPhone 2.1 update?
  • Reply 78 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post


    Well, if you have several different kinds of music on your iPhone, yes, Genius is far better than just plain old shuffle. When I'm listening to Iron Maiden, I don't want it to follow up with Neil Diamond. When I'm listening to Pat Metheny, I don't want the next tune to be a Beethoven concerto.



    It's not about learning my likes and dislikes. It's about reacting to my current mood. That's incredibly valuable to me.



    Duh- that's why we create playlists and shuffle within the playlist.

    DO you also own a mood ring?

    Do you have your Biorhythms checked regularly?
  • Reply 79 of 314
    No, Bluetooth is still on.
  • Reply 80 of 314
    irelandireland Posts: 17,570member
    My sync now takes about 12-15 seconds.
Sign In or Register to comment.