Microsoft's 'I'm a PC' campaign created with Macs

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not true, there is no competition between them in that area.

The example I used earlier is less contentious as it is not Apple or MS and shows nicely the same thing:

1. Kodak Film Ad showing beautiful scenes made by ad agency using Fuji Film to take said photographs. Open to ridicule by Fuji and Press.

2. Kodak CEO having life saving surgery and operation done by surgeon who used Fuji Film to image the operation or even at his daughter's birthday party: Not worth mentioning.

There's no competition between them in the creative advertising area either, so you just proved yourself wrong. Who cares what the company they hire to do their advertising uses. That's not the point of the ad campaign "look PCs are better to make ads!" Uh... no. Why is that so hard to grasp?
  • Reply 182 of 193
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henrymonroe View Post

*Sigh* It's almost as if you didn't read my post at all. Thanks for being one more zealot who proves my point.

I didn't say such requests weren't common. I said Microsoft does not go to the extents of zealotry that you Mac users do. When they hire the best marketing company, they don't dictate how they should or shouldn't do things. That's reserved for intolerant bigots like you. The ads get their point across perfectly. Promoting the PC as the best platform for creative marketing was NOT that point. You just don't get it.

You keep speaking authoritatively for what MS does and doesn't do so i assume you work there in a position of authority and know all this for a fact. If this is true just say so and we can all move on. Thanks.
  • Reply 183 of 193
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

I said Microsoft does not go to the extents of zealotry that you Mac users do. When they hire the best marketing company, they don't dictate how they should or shouldn't do things.

Was experimenting with special diets really the reason why Steve Jobs waited so long before getting cancer surgery? Maybe he was going from one hospital to another and demanding that they convert to all Macs before he would allow the surgery? But his deterioration prevented him from waiting any longer?

So while the hypothetical new Apple commercial shows Mac designing new ads for Microsoft, maybe it should also show Steve Jobs lying on an operating table while PC examines him and runs lab tests. Who really feels more insulted? Bill Gates having his commercial done on Macs, or Steve Jobs owing his life to PCs? Does Jobs take long showers every night and cry over how violated he feels?
  • Reply 184 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Was experimenting with special diets really the reason why Steve Jobs waited so long before getting cancer surgery? Maybe he was going from one hospital to another and demanding that they convert to all Macs before he would allow the surgery? But his deterioration prevented him from waiting any longer?

So while the hypothetical new Apple commercial shows Mac designing new ads for Microsoft, maybe it should also show Steve Jobs lying on an operating table while PC examines him and runs lab tests. Who really feels more insulted? Bill Gates having his commercial done on Macs, or Steve Jobs owing his life to PCs? Does Jobs take long showers every night and cry over how violated he feels?

Perhaps time to close this thread.
  • Reply 185 of 193
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

*Sigh* It's almost as if you didn't read my post at all. Thanks for being one more zealot who proves my point.

I didn't say such requests weren't common. I said Microsoft does not go to the extents of zealotry that you Mac users do.

By the way, I quoted your bit about the *sighing* as a reference to your over-use of the word zealot and how one can identify a true zealot by the number of times they call someone else a zealot. So stop being a zealot, or at least try to be one that posts about something they have a clue about.
  • Reply 186 of 193
    Wow, I just jumped into this thread on the last page, and I must say, this is scary.
  • Reply 187 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phlake View Post

Wow, I just jumped into this thread on the last page, and I must say, this is scary.

Yep, sure is. When Mac fans can't have a laugh at the fact MS had Macs making their PC ads in a Mac fan blog without being sworn at and insulted then it is scary indeed.

Unfortunately there are some who have to be insulting, sarcastic and rude to try to make their point, be it valid or not.
  • Reply 188 of 193
    Have any of you noticed the mobile handheld devices used by the mac geniuses to activate your shiny new iPhones? Take a look the next time you get a chance - its using MS windows. I know I thought that was funny too
  • Reply 189 of 193
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonahu View Post

Have any of you noticed the mobile handheld devices used by the mac geniuses to activate your shiny new iPhones? Take a look the next time you get a chance - its using MS windows. I know I thought that was funny too

Welcome to AI. I can see the irony at first glance, but you have to remember that Apple doesn't make a point-of-sale device so they would have to go with a 3rd-party option. They choose Motorola's Symbol devices, which happen to run Windows mobile as the core OS. With only 300 stores world wide it doesn't make much sense for Apple to make their HW and SW to run a PoS system that can scan barcodes and swipe CCs at this point.
    On another note, I'd bet MS has plenty more Macs in house for their development of Office for Mac and the dozen other apps they create for OS X.
  • Reply 190 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonahu View Post

The activation is done via iTunes at home, I didn't know the activation was done on a PC device in an Apple Store, or are you referring to the mobile cash machine?
  • Reply 191 of 193
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The activation is done via iTunes at home, I didn't know the activation was done on a PC device in an Apple Store, or are you referring to the mobile cash machine?

The handheld Symbol devices, now owned by Motorola, use WinMo as the embedded OS for the Point-of-Sale software for scanning barcodes and swiping credit cards. A business sector that Apple has never entered and may never enter if they maintain only a few hundred stores that use these products. Unless you look at the bottom of the device to see the Windows logo or watch it reboot the use would probably never even know that the device is running WinMo underneath.
  • Reply 192 of 193
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While I got a quick chuckle out of it, it's relaly not a big a deal or surprising when you think about it for more than a second. It's in the same boat of the WinMo-based Moto Symbol PoS handhelds Apple Store uses.

MS didn't make this commercial in house (though it would explain a lot if they did \) and I don't think they cared about what OS completed the task of editing the commercial so long as the company they choose did a bang up job. Perhaps we should look at MS and Apple as not being so petty as to "cut off one's nose to spite their face" because they aren't caring about what OS the companies they hire use, so long as they do the work.

PS: Isn't MS the largest 3rd-party OS X developer with Office for Mac? Wouldn't they have plenty of Macs in house to test their software with? Can anyone of use say that we have been coding for Apple as long or have had as many Macs as MS has?

This is probably the only reasonable post I've seen in this tread so far. Anybody else over 13 around here, really..?

Microsoft ad is done by Crispin & Bogusky, advertising agency behind successful Burger King and other campaigns. So they are using Macs... who cares? Microsoft was looking for specific look and feel, not for suck-up drones using only Microsoft products. Personally I'd laugh out loud at MS if I heard they made condition that their ads must be done on Windows platform - now that would be paranoid and then some! As it is, good on them - ad is great. I personally prefer them to Justin Long stuff Apple is serving. They made ad that is heart touching and inspiring, without even mentioning Apple, or Linux, or anyone else. I always respect when someone makes a strong statement without spiting on others, be it in business, politics or anywhere else.

But if some of you so desperately need every possible "reason" to justify their computing purchase, go ahead - indulge yourself...
  • Reply 193 of 193
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Microsoft is a joke.