Microsoft's 'I'm a PC' campaign created with Macs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nutts View Post

I can't believe people are making a story out of this. They were created by a third-party agency.

A couple of years ago I stopped working for an agency of Microsoft, and they did (and indeed still do) *all* of their creative work on Macs. Microsoft isn't their only client, and they have to use the best tools and felt that those were Macs. It's not like Microsoft can demand that their work be produced in Windows, it just doesn't work like that.

You don't get it do you. They used Mac's to create an advertisement about how superior shitsa is to the Mac. That's irony. Something windoze trolls always seem to miss.
  • Reply 43 of 193
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaioslider View Post

I think I can see the next Apple commercial. PC sitting down in front of an iMac making his new "I'm a PC" commercial.

Which commercial would look stupider:

The Mac character dressed like PC, wearing glasses and a suit, and saying "Hi, I'm Boot Camp"

The PC character dressing like Mac, looking like he just got out of bed, face full of stubble, clothes wrinkled, shirt not tucked, and saying "Hi, I'm a Hackintosh"
  • Reply 44 of 193
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark Dodel View Post

You don't get it do you. They used Mac's to create an advertisement about how superior shitsa is to the Mac. That's irony. Something windoze trolls always seem to miss.

Were all of Apple's office buildings designed using Macs?

Are the companies which supply electricity, water, and raw materials to Apple all running Macs?

Are Macs used to run the Chinese factories that manufacture Macs?

Is the actor who plays the Mac in Apple's commercials actually a Mac user in real life?
  • Reply 45 of 193
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitWrangler View Post

Was the content created by Microsoft themselves (and no, just because it was sourced from the Microsoft site doesn't mean that Microsoft actually created it) or by the ad agency that made the commercials to begin with. If it's the latter, then this is really a non story, though fun for all the pro Apple/anti Microsoft folks.

Definitely not made at Microsoft. MS employed an agency who wrote the ad. MS approved it and the agency employed a production company. In the end MS approved the spot. Someone from MS 'may' have seen the spot during production in an editing suite where Macs were used but that person probably couldn't care less what machines were used. Then someone more senior would have seen the spot either at the agency or at MS and then probably NO MACS IN SIGHT. No-one in the process would care - if Ford made a commercial they wouldn't care the production crew used Chevy's, why would they? What we have now is all about PR value and perception.

Having said that - the discovery is no less sweet. A zinger for MS. Could the intended message be nullified and deflated more beautifully?

edit: Just realized this was about the print ad - the process remains the same, however.
  • Reply 46 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

I can't defend this... Damn microsoft I still love my vista machine but damn... Lol nah macs are definstley tight for pruduction that's a given.

Huh??
  • Reply 47 of 193
    This is not news. I worked on the white line animation ads for them years ago. Yup, done on Macs. Here's one of them...

Microsoft: "Ripple"
  • Reply 48 of 193
    Quote:

I think I can see the next Apple commercial. PC sitting down in front of an iMac making his new "I'm a PC" commercial.

PC will be sitting in front of a box that is clearly running OS X, and mac will walk over and say

" Hey, do you need help with iMovie? Our Geniuses at the Apple Store are willing to help you learn the software"

PC: "im not working in iMovie, this isnt a mac. This is windows movie maker..."

Mac looking at the obviously painted cardboard box, "right"

Mac lifts the box to reveal an iMac

PC: "its not what you think it is, I.... " runs off camera left
  • Reply 49 of 193
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark Dodel View Post

You're inferring something that wasn't stated or implied. The ad never mentioned Macs or made any statement that Windows was superior to OS X. The commercial did infer that John Hodgeman, as the PC in Apple's "Get A Mac" ads, has become a stereotype. And it has, which is a tribute to success of Apple's campaign, and it's a good campaign for MS.
  • Reply 50 of 193
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Huh??

I am thinking he is using the word 'tight' to mean that Macs are built well and/or are aesthetically pleasing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paladinkn00be View Post

PC will be sitting in front of a box that is clearly running OS X, and mac will walk over and say

" Hey, do you need help with iMovie? Our Geniuses at the Apple Store are willing to help you learn the software"

PC: "im not working in iMovie, this isnt a mac. This is windows movie maker..."

Mac looking at the obviously painted cardboard box, "right"

Mac lifts the box to reveal an iMac

PC: "its not what you think it is, I.... " runs off camera left

I wonder if Apple will even acknowledge these MS ads. If this were a year ago when these MS ads came out I would suggest that Apple would have the PC say it's also a PC since it can run Windows via Boot Camp or Fusion or Parallels. But that doesn't seem to be something Apple needs to advertise these days.
  • Reply 51 of 193
    Quote:

PSST... Apple... Are you reading this?

Good stuff. I'd love to see that commercial. And I'd laugh like I usually do at the crapulence of all that is Mikerohsopht.
  • Reply 52 of 193
    This is a stupid story and it makes everyone who plays into look just and un-informed.

Anyone who knows anything about anything knows that large corporations including Apple have their advertising done outside at an advertising agency and these materials are created and conceived at the agency and pitched to company representatives. The company itself has no say over what tools the agency uses in-house. I't be like tell your plumber what brand of wrenches he would use.

Apple and Adobe are a great creative platform, let's not erase that fact be letting our idiocy show.
  • Reply 53 of 193
    This isn't much different than the revelation some years ago that a lot of PC/Windows magazines used Macs to produce their issues.
  • Reply 54 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitWrangler View Post

Was the content created by Microsoft themselves (and no, just because it was sourced from the Microsoft site doesn't mean that Microsoft actually created it) or by the ad agency that made the commercials to begin with. If it's the latter, then this is really a non story, though fun for all the pro Apple/anti Microsoft folks.

It's like getting to the Toyota HQ and finding a parking lot full of Hondas.
  • Reply 55 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

It's like getting to the Toyota HQ and finding a parking lot full of Hondas.

No, it would be like Toyota using an ad agency who had employees owned Hondas. Not a big deal.

Besides that, It's already common sense that MS has Mac in-house because it makes software for Macs.
  • Reply 56 of 193
    Wait--which one is it?

• Reply 57 of 193
    Typical Microsoft.... This reminds of the hotmail.com days of Microsoft trying to replace all the Linux boxes with MS Windows. Didn't work out so well.... Anyway, this was a good laugh.
  • Reply 58 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keylimesoda View Post

Wait--which one is it?

image: ]http://i38.tinypic.com/2vukeiv.jpg

1) It wouldn't be unheard of for people on OS X and Windows to have worked on the same file.

2) That can easily be faked.

3) Why not link to the source or use a smaller pic.
  • Reply 59 of 193
    As MS strolls along in their show circus discomfort,we should take a few moments to remember where their coming from. An opportunity to seize vast fortunes in new markets,with the kind of dominance that elevated conformity to a religion.The choir is still singing,the preachers seen as a very giving (billions $$$) guy, but the saviour,he's been you all along,helping you on your journey.

I don't think so..... Keep up the good work Apple.
  • Reply 60 of 193
    While it's good for a quick laugh, it really isn't much in the way of news... You know MS doesn't create their own ads. Most advertising agencies use Macs and I can easily see the TV ads being created using Final Cut Studio and shared using Final Cut Server. Nothing special...