Next iPhone software update to deliver Safari, App Store tweaks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    whoopie doo - fixes with safari and the app store. can someone please report that the next update will fix issues such as dropped emails, battery problems, slow scrolling, slow response time with SMS, SMS forwarding, contact forwarding via SMS, saving a telephone number to contacts that has sent you an SMS, cut & paste, etc, etc, etc.......
  • Reply 22 of 71
    The only enhancement I need to mobile Safari is a version that comes even close to being stable. How many versions of this OS so far, and Safari is still a piece of crap that bombs out to the home screen after a moderate amount of use, and it remains the only app capable of freezing my iPhone entirely, forcing a reboot. It's a disgrace.
  • Reply 23 of 71
    Weird, I've only had my 3G for a little over a month but I use the browser many times daily and I don't think it has crashed once. It works much better than IE on my Dell laptop at work, apart from the lack of Flash support and a smaller screen. But I agree with most of the folks here that the changes appear to be small steps in the wrong direction, especially the bit about obscuring the URL by making the google field always visible.

Still, in general these folks obviously seem to know what they're doing, so I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

As for cut/paste, they must be saving it for the 2009 model--otherwise, what will they do to get people to upgrade? The thing is freaking amazing already!
  • Reply 24 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_cazorp View Post

The only enhancement I need to mobile Safari is a version that comes even close to being stable. How many versions of this OS so far, and Safari is still a piece of crap that bombs out to the home screen after a moderate amount of use, and it remains the only app capable of freezing my iPhone entirely, forcing a reboot. It's a disgrace.

Actually if you're having that many issues you might have carried bugs over from older OS versions. You may need so fully restore your iPhone. My Safari is relatively stable.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Safari redesign: thumbs down

App Store redesign: thumbs up

You mean yay for taking more screen space to show more or less the same information? OK, maybe a picture is nice, but is reading really that hard and slow?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's not easy when you have a tiny browser handling all that data, html and javascript. These things take time to get right.

Haven't they already been working on IPhone 2.x for a year?
  • Reply 26 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

But I agree with most of the folks here that the changes appear to be small steps in the wrong direction, especially the bit about obscuring the URL by making the google field always visible.

I couldn't disagree much more. In Safari on 2.2 when you tap the address field it will probably stretch to fit the whole screen, making the Google field far smaller, and tapping the Google field will probably have the oppsite effect. Thus maximizing the UI for the task at hand.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Haven't they already been working on IPhone 2.x for a year?

Actually it turns out upon further examination his Safari issues run deeper. I thought he was asking too much, for zero crashes ever, but apparently his browser crashes the whole time. Mine rarely crashes.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    Quote:

Curious as to why you'd think that app store redesign is bad? I always felt odd that all the categories weren't distinguishable at a glance.

"Thumbs Up" = good
  • Reply 29 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPond317 View Post

Wow, UI changes in Safari? Are you kidding? How about actually fixing all the bugs with Safari, I can't stand it crashing almost every time I want to type in a text field!

Still waiting on cut/copy/paste, but we all know it's not high on the list of things to-do.

The average user doesn't give a damn about copy and paste, it's only on blogs and the internet where people make a big deal out of it, in the real world, no one seems to give a damn.
  • Reply 30 of 71
    Quote:

The issue is not that iPhone isn't better, the issue is it doesn't have one of the most basic features all other smartphone have, which is "needs". Sure, maybe it doesn't need MMS, as it has email, but it "needs" copy & paste. Every iPhone user will have a need for it. I don't have a need for it everyday, but when I do I'm simply shit out of luck. This is not good enough. Not good enough. Not good enough. Not good enough. Not good enough.

As I described there is a simple solution for the copy & paste of text, and it should be added. I don't want to hear and more excuses about this. Apple isn't perfect you know. I'm saying this because I want them to add it, and because I like the iPhone. Don't get all defensive when presented with the truth. 90% of iPhone users have been begging for it for over a year now.

90 percent of iphone users, what a joke, in the world no one gives a damn about copy and paste on a phone, how did you come up with that 90 percent number.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    Quote:

Weird, I've only had my 3G for a little over a month but I use the browser many times daily and I don't think it has crashed once. It works much better than IE on my Dell laptop at work, apart from the lack of Flash support and a smaller screen. But I agree with most of the folks here that the changes appear to be small steps in the wrong direction, especially the bit about obscuring the URL by making the google field always visible.

Still, in general these folks obviously seem to know what they're doing, so I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

As for cut/paste, they must be saving it for the 2009 model--otherwise, what will they do to get people to upgrade? The thing is freaking amazing already!

The thing is browsing on an iphone is not the same as browsing on a desktop/laptop. The iphone doesn't have that much power compared to a real computer. I've found that the only if I open too many windows that's when the crashes happen so now I'm able to adjust and open less windows and have less crashes, I usually have 1 or 2 windows open and everything works out fine. Most of these problems will be fixed as the device gets more powerful.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    I hope they fix the Update feature in the App Store. In its current state, the App Store requires you to delete your app before installing the update, this wasn't the case with 2.0
  • Reply 33 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

90 percent of iphone users, what a joke, in the world no one gives a damn about copy and paste on a phone, how did you come up with that 90 percent number.

no one in the whole wide world?
  • Reply 34 of 71
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,785member
    Quote:

The issue is not that iPhone isn't better, the issue is it doesn't have one of the most basic features all other smartphone have, which is "needs". Sure, maybe it doesn't need MMS, as it has email, but it "needs" copy & paste. Every iPhone user will have a need for it.

[...]

90% of iPhone users have been begging for it for over a year now.

I've not had a need for it, and nor have four others I know with an iPhone. A few people on blogs and forums cry out for it, but that doesn't constitute 90% of iPhone users. More likely 10% of iPhone users talk about the device on forums, and even less want copy and paste.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    One enhancement I'd really like to see is the ability for music apps (such as Pandora, Last.fm, AOL Radio, and FlyCast) to run in the background the way the iPod app can. The OS needs to provide a handle (aka, "semaphore") which one and only one app can grab at a time to allow background operation for music playing. This would allow me to listen to music on Pandora while continuing to surf the web.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I hope they fix the Update feature in the App Store. In its current state, the App Store requires you to delete your app before installing the update, this wasn't the case with 2.0

I had this problem as well. It persisted through an update from 2.0.x to 2.1. The way I finally made it go away was to do a full restore on the phone. Now I can update apps just fine again.
  • Reply 37 of 71
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

It works much better than IE on my Dell laptop at work...SNIP

I feel your pain. NOT.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grayum View Post

no one in the whole wide world?

I mean regular users who buy iphones who make up the majority of people buying them and not users on the internet or on blogs or forums like this, people on these forums and the blogs are in the minority.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Actually it turns out upon further examination his Safari issues run deeper. I thought he was asking too much, for zero crashes ever, but apparently his browser crashes the whole time. Mine rarely crashes.

You are a data point of one arguing with another data point of one. How do you argue that you are right? How do you know that you're not seeing much by the way of crashes because the sites you visit don't use a particular feature that causes problems?

That said, I've seen some crashes, more than I consider acceptable given how little I use that program, and solipsism has noted that Safari on 2.x is considerably less stable than 1.x for him.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

I mean regular users who buy iphones who make up the majority of people buying them and not users on the internet or on blogs or forums like this, people on these forums and the blogs are in the minority.

There's more people than you think asking for it, a lot more. Sure I just plucked 90% out of the air. But it's a big enough %, and a simple enough thing to solved with software that it should be done.