Next iPhone software update to deliver Safari, App Store tweaks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by czardmitri View Post

My thoughts exactly. The google bar is available now when I want it, but is put away when I don't.

It's advertising
  • Reply 42 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It's advertising

No, I don't agree that's the reason they did it. If you use your iPhone you have to reach across the screen every time you want to make a search, when using Safari, which is why they did this. And entering an address you can still touch the same location as you did before this change. This is not a visual change, it's a UI change, to make ti easier to use.

Safari Google searched should go to a more mobile version of Google though.
  • Reply 43 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No, I don't agree that's the reason they did it. If you use your iPhone you have to reach across the screen every time you want to make a search, when using Safari, which is why they did this. And entering an address you can still touch the same location as you did before this change. This is not a visual change, it's a UI change, to make ti easier to use.

Safari Google searched should go to a more mobile version of Google though.

Fair enough but every time you use it, Apple gets a commision from Google. If they didn't want to advertise Google they would have said 'Search', but maybe they wanted it to look more like the desktop version which is also advertising IMO.

m
  • Reply 44 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If they didn't want to advertise Google they would have said 'Search', but maybe they wanted it to look more like the desktop version which is also advertising IMO.

m

Advertising or not, the problem (misunderstanding), I think, is coming from the fact that the AI article is calling it the "Google search field". It simply is a search field. You can go into Settings and change your default search engine to Yahoo and the field will then say 'Yahoo'. Apple is simply showing you which search engine you are using.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Advertising or not, the problem (misunderstanding), I think, is coming from the fact that the AI article is calling it the "Google search field". It simply is a search field. You can go into Settings and change your default search engine to Yahoo and the field will then say 'Yahoo'. Apple is simply showing you which search engine you are using.

Good point. The default browser search engine preference IS a hot legal issue with big dollar implications because most people don't change it. When they get a new computer, they open up whatever browser they were given and start using it.
  • Reply 46 of 71
    I'm a more or less happy 1.x iPhone owner, and I'm not going to upgrade until they add copy and paste. Its absolutely ridiculous that I can't copy a bit of text out of an email and paste it into a note, or vise versa. I don't need 100 flashlight programs. I don't need video games. I don't need 3G. Safari works OK as it is. Please Apple...
  • Reply 47 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

The average user doesn't give a damn about copy and paste, it's only on blogs and the internet where people make a big deal out of it, in the real world, no one seems to give a damn.

I give a damn!!! I miss this feature at least once a week. Its really one of the few things that I find myself saying "Why the heck can't I do this?!" about.

Very common uses:

wanting to do a google search on some text on a web page that I'm viewing.

wanting to copy some text out of one email into the response (but not the entire thing).

wanting to save a snippet of an email into a note.

wanting to do a google search on something I typed into a note.

wanting to copy a bit of a note back into an email message.

wanting to copy an address off a webpage and look it up in google-maps.

etc.

Also, in notes, it doesn't do the "auto phone number detection" thing, so if you type a phone number into notes, there's no way to have the phone dial it for you. WTF? Sometimes also, the phone number detection gets confused in Safari if the number isn't formatted as expected. So, it would be nice to be able to copy and paste the number back into the keypad app.

Do you actually use your iPhone? I don't see how anyone could not want to do these things?
  • Reply 48 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

I'm a more or less happy 1.x iPhone owner, and I'm not going to upgrade until they add copy and paste. Its absolutely ridiculous that I can't copy a bit of text out of an email and paste it into a note, or vise versa. I don't need 100 flashlight programs. I don't need video games. I don't need 3G. Safari works OK as it is. Please Apple...

And don't forget, once you get the info into that note, you CANNOT

- sync it to your Mac/PC

- search for it, or any info in the note
  • Reply 49 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

And don't forget, once you get the info into that note, you CANNOT

- sync it to your Mac/PC

- search for it, or any info in the note

Well, if you're willing to shell out $20 you can sync notes to your Mac.

See: http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/

Also nice for backing up SMS message histories.

(Still, ridiculous that you have to purchase this as an add-on. Should be built-in functionality.)

I agree about searching... It would be definitely handy if there was an "iPhone spotlight" feature... though, not as high up my list as copy/paste.

While I'm dreaming: Why the heck can't I sync my iPhone to my Mac through bluetooth? I re-load music and videos onto the thing about once a month. I would like to sync my contacts and calendar data on a daily basis. Wires are a drag. (I charge the battery at work. My contacts are calendar live at home.) And no, I'm not subscribing to MobileMe just for this functionality.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    the iphone is a wonderful device, but the lack of copy/paste is unacceptable!

receiving somebody's phone number in an email and having to write it on a scrap of paper, then opening contacts and typing it in... pathetic!
  • Reply 51 of 71
    Why does the iPhone screenshot show a Flash ad running? The ad ("A phone is only as good") in the upper left corner is a Flash ad on AppleInsider. Always. Right?

But I can't explain why it's running in 2.1. On my iPhone running 2.1, I get the little question mark box in the middle.

• Reply 52 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

receiving somebody's phone number in an email and having to write it on a scrap of paper, then opening contacts and typing it in... pathetic!

A gross workaround for this particular situation: Use the "phone number detection" feature to dial the number, then immediately hang up (before it connects). Then use the "recent" list to save the number into a contact.

How's that for "ease of use!"
  • Reply 53 of 71
    Quote:

A gross workaround for this particular situation: Use the "phone number detection" feature to dial the number, then immediately hang up (before it connects). Then use the "recent" list to save the number into a contact.

How's that for "ease of use!"

i appreciate your suggestion, but i found an easier workaround: i read the number out aloud often enough for my parrot to memorize the number, then quickly switch to contacts and let the parrot dictate.

same for forwarding excerpts of emails, and for searching street names on google maps

hope this still works when OS2.2 is released, it might be a little close to an application that apple was planning to develop for iwork
  • Reply 54 of 71
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

There's more people than you think asking for it, a lot more. Sure I just plucked 90% out of the air. But it's a big enough %, and a simple enough thing to solved with software that it should be done.

Well I'm sure you could say 1 % of iphone users can be a "more people".
  • Reply 55 of 71
    Quote:

I give a damn!!! I miss this feature at least once a week. Its really one of the few things that I find myself saying "Why the heck can't I do this?!" about.

Very common uses:

wanting to do a google search on some text on a web page that I'm viewing.

wanting to copy some text out of one email into the response (but not the entire thing).

wanting to save a snippet of an email into a note.

wanting to do a google search on something I typed into a note.

wanting to copy a bit of a note back into an email message.

wanting to copy an address off a webpage and look it up in google-maps.

etc.

Also, in notes, it doesn't do the "auto phone number detection" thing, so if you type a phone number into notes, there's no way to have the phone dial it for you. WTF? Sometimes also, the phone number detection gets confused in Safari if the number isn't formatted as expected. So, it would be nice to be able to copy and paste the number back into the keypad app.

Do you actually use your iPhone? I don't see how anyone could not want to do these things?

I actually do use the device and it's not that big of deal, the average user doesn't give a damn about it, if it was such a dealbreaker as it is made out to be the iphone wouldn't be selling the amount that it is.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    Quote:

I actually do use the device and it's not that big of deal, the average user doesn't give a damn about it, if it was such a dealbreaker as it is made out to be the iphone wouldn't be selling the amount that it is.

so, what might the "average users" be doing with their iphone?

just about everybody I know who owns and uses the iphone complains about this. for me it's a nightmare, my desk and travel bag is full of scraps of paper with addresses and phone numbers.

I was watching a business man at paris airport 2 days ago, copying stuff onto a paper napkin, then retyping it into his iphone, swearing under his breath...

Forwarding a few lines of an email to a 3rd person - the rest of the email is nobody else's business - is tedious, deleting the rest of a long email word by word is an idiotic task.

if it's no big deal for you, how do you - for example - add a phone number (that's been emailed to you) to your contacts?

and have you found a way of inserting an address into google maps without memorizing it or writing it on a piece of paper? in foreign countries the streetnames are often not easy to memorize, and it is 2008, why should I have to memorize addresses that have been mailed to me?

for a device as modern and expensive as the iphone this is pretty pathetic.

i am sure apple will come up with this, hopefully sooner rather than later, but i don't give d**** about where the google bar is, or whether the appstore looks nicer, i need to stop carrying pen and paper in order to make use of the iphone.

I bought my device a few weeks ago, confident that this would be implemented in OS2.1...

best regards

-d
  • Reply 57 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Why does the iPhone screenshot show a Flash ad running? The ad ("A phone is only as good") in the upper left corner is a Flash ad on AppleInsider. Always. Right?

But I can't explain why it's running in 2.1. On my iPhone running 2.1, I get the little question mark box in the middle.

That's... a really good point. They must have been static images though.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

so, what might the "average users" be doing with their iphone?

just about everybody I know who owns and uses the iphone complains about this. for me it's a nightmare, my desk and travel bag is full of scraps of paper with addresses and phone numbers.

I was watching a business man at paris airport 2 days ago, copying stuff onto a paper napkin, then retyping it into his iphone, swearing under his breath...

Forwarding a few lines of an email to a 3rd person - the rest of the email is nobody else's business - is tedious, deleting the rest of a long email word by word is an idiotic task.

if it's no big deal for you, how do you - for example - add a phone number (that's been emailed to you) to your contacts?

and have you found a way of inserting an address into google maps without memorizing it or writing it on a piece of paper? in foreign countries the streetnames are often not easy to memorize, and it is 2008, why should I have to memorize addresses that have been mailed to me?

for a device as modern and expensive as the iphone this is pretty pathetic.

i am sure apple will come up with this, hopefully sooner rather than later, but i don't give d**** about where the google bar is, or whether the appstore looks nicer, i need to stop carrying pen and paper in order to make use of the iphone.

I bought my device a few weeks ago, confident that this would be implemented in OS2.1...

best regards

-d

Dude the average person doesn't give a damn about the copy and paste, sure they may need it but it's not on far up on a big list of features that they need. If copy and paste was such a big deal as people make it up to be, iphones wouldn't be selling because everybody would be demanding it and overlooking the iphone for that. I can bet you that if Apple was to implement copy and paste today the average person buying the phone wouldn't even notice it and there wouldn't be some big jump in sales because of copy and paste. Iphone is not the only phone without copy and paste, there are other more expensive phones that don't have copy and paste.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    Quote:

Dude the average person doesn't give a damn about the copy and paste, sure they may need it but it's not on far up on a big list of features that they need. If copy and paste was such a big deal as people make it up to be, iphones wouldn't be selling because everybody would be demanding it and overlooking the iphone for that. I can bet you that if Apple was to implement copy and paste today the average person buying the phone wouldn't even notice it and there wouldn't be some big jump in sales because of copy and paste. Iphone is not the only phone without copy and paste, there are other more expensive phones that don't have copy and paste.

dude i suppose you must be right... i had presumed i am an average person, hoping to use the phone in an average way; seems i must be an extraordinary person

now i am wondering what those millions of average people are doing with their phones...? getting pleasure from slighty adjusted google placement in safari?

oh well...

have a nice evening,

best,

-d
  • Reply 60 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

An ad like this you mean?

That's not a flash ad, AI must have some nifty way of displaying a static ad in place of the flash one when an iPhone is visiting. Look at the time, I'm off to bed.