Next iPhone software update to deliver Safari, App Store tweaks

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Fair enough but every time you use it, Apple gets a commision from Google. If they didn't want to advertise Google they would have said 'Search', but maybe they wanted it to look more like the desktop version which is also advertising IMO.

m

Mine says Inquisitor.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The issue is not that iPhone isn't better, the issue is it doesn't have one of the most basic features all other smartphone have, which is "needs".

The problem with copy and paste is the technical end of it and Apple clearly isn't willing to do it half-assed. Everyone focuses on the UI which is the easy part. The hard part is what goes on the background (which I elaborate on in my tech blog if I may pimp it here. ). Apple has a good history of doing copy-and-paste better than anyone else. They do it right in OS X and no doubt the iPhone will follow that tradition. Apple could rush the implementation of copy-and-paste and end up doing it badly which, IMO, is worse than not having it at all.

So be patient. When it arrives, it will beat the living daylights out of whatever copy-and-paste implementation other smart phones have.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Dude the average person doesn't give a damn about the copy and paste,

Actually, reading just in this thread the number of people (me included) who seems to think this is a big deal appears to far outnumber those that think it's not.

I have two friends with iPhones, and both complain about this issue all the time. (People who use it for more than just multimedia, you know, grown ups..)

Addy
  • Reply 64 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

An ad like this you mean?

That's not a flash ad, AI must have some nifty way of displaying a static ad in place of the flash one when an iPhone is visiting. Look at the time, I'm off to bed.

Does iPhone play an animated image? That might be how it looks like it's a flash ad when it's not. I guess it seems ignorant of me, I just don't know, I don't remember seeing one.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Does iPhone play an animated image? That might be how it looks like it's a flash ad when it's not. I guess it seems ignorant of me, I just don't know, I don't remember seeing one.

I've seen web code that shows a static image that will be replaced with an FLV file, without refreshing the page, once clicked. I'm guessing it's a JS, but it could be an aspect of HTML5. I'll see if I can find something, as I could be wrong since it was my focus at the time.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    Huh. Copy/Paste and MMS would be great. But for starters I would just like it to notify me when I have new emails while it is asleep. You know, like it used to before 2.1.....
  • Reply 67 of 71
    This weekend I found out how actually useless the iPhone is as a phone.

My DSL connection went down. Well, because Apple does not allow a full BT stack and has crippled this so-called Smartphone, I was forced to go out and purchase a phone that had BT, HSDPA and the ability to tether to my Mac.

After 3 mins set up, I was up and running. I bought a Nokia N82 and this thing is amazing. I only wish I had bought the N96 but it was not available at the moment. For sure the iPhone will be seeing less and less duty as a phone and more time as an iPod. I am completely underwhelmed by the iPhone and the crappy restrictions Apple has placed on it, and please do not give me the "oh the software is so great" speech. Safari is almost useless because of the crashes, VoIP apps only work if wifi is in the area, and on and on. My money would have been better spent on an iPod which I am leaning towards getting and dumping this iPod with phone POS as soon as possible.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    irchsirchs Posts: 86member
    I for one would like to see iPhoto events sync'd to the iPhone. Scrolling through the bland "Last 12 Months" is major ball ache.

Cheers

Jan
  • Reply 69 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irchs View Post

I for one would like to see iPhoto events sync'd to the iPhone. Scrolling through the bland "Last 12 Months" is major ball ache.

A workaround is to setup albums in iPhoto so those can synced.

I'd like an iPhoto update make smart use of the location data that is being saved. Having to grab the info from the photo then go to a website to convert it so Google Maps can read it is a bit of a pain.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    irchsirchs Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A workaround is to setup albums in iPhoto so those can synced.

I'd like an iPhoto update make smart use of the location data that is being saved. Having to grab the info from the photo then go to a website to convert it so Google Maps can read it is a bit of a pain.

Yeah I realise this, but the solution is less than ideal. Using the standard iPhoto events would be much easier

On the Maps front, Street view is coming to the phone, maybe some kind of integration with the library on the phone will happen too...

Jan
  • Reply 71 of 71
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    My theory on why cut/copy/paste isn't implemented...

Two reasons:

1: It isn't as high priority as other features that the majority of users want

2: Apple wants to make damn sure they get it right the first time around.

Once features/functionality/interaction-techniques are introduced, it is impossible to remove them without a massive public outcry. Apple has historically done a good job of not falling into this trap. Their software starts out light on features and additional ones are only added when they've been perfectly though out. No feature bullet point mongering.

The alternative is to roll everything out in a hurry, and then release alternate/improved versions later on. The problem with this is you end up with a huge steaming pile of code and interaction techniques to support. Development becomes much more difficult when there are multiple versions of everything. Remind you of any particular OS or business package?

For instance, consider multiple home screens and easy home screen customization. People were clamoring for it from day one. Apple's eventual implementation exceeded most people's expectations. The hold and wait for jiggly icons seems so intuitive now. But it wouldn't have been the solution we ended up with if apple had rushed the implementation. We would have ended up with an additional button on the screen along with some other more intrusive indicator of the edit state.

Multi-touch interfaces are still quite new. We don't have all the answers yet and unfortunately that means that sometimes the short-term solution is neglected. It is neglected so that the platform and GUI aren't saddled with horrible interface constructs.

I'd prefer to wait on CCP so that it is done right in this here multi-touch land we now live in.