Sources: latest MacBook Pro photo is the real deal

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Let me get this right- you're on an Apple fetish website and pondering why we don't refrain from the fetish?

Hey, I'm trying to give up drinking to!
  • Reply 22 of 105
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That figure seems way steep. How do the PC manufacturers include them if they cost that much? PC's with blu-ray are not $1,000 more than the non-Blu-ray versions.

How many times do we have to go over this. Other vendors use the much thicker and cheaper tray-loading notebook drives, while the MacBook, 15" MacBook Pro and 20" iMac use 9.5mm slot-loading drives (which no evidence of a BRD of that size actually exists beyond Panasonic saying they are working on it); while the 17" MacBook Pro and 24" iMac use a 12.5mm slot-loading drive, which retails for $1000.

Yes, only a reader would be cheaper, but that is non-starter. Yes, Apple could move to a thicker case and use a tray-loading drive, but that ruins Apple's premium PC market for an overly expensive and unpopular option.

Quote:

AND blu-ray is the only way to get HD video and 7.1 channel sound.

There you go altering what you meant to suit your argument. The OP stated they wanted HDMI to make connecting to a larger screen easier. This has nothing to do with Blu-ray as there are many application in which this would be a benefit, even if you weren't playing back HD content, but now it's about 7.1 audio.
  • Reply 23 of 105
    Quote:

AND blu-ray is the only way to get HD video and 7.1 channel sound.

No it isn't. It might be the only way HD video with multichannel sound is commercially distributed right now (and that's not even technically true - you can still buy HD-DVDs), but that means nothing. There's no reason (besides bandwidth) that Apple couldn't put high-bitrate MPEG-4/TrueHD movies in the iTunes Store. Or they could use 8 channels of Apple Lossless audio.

Still, I'd rather they don't tease us with an HDMI output unless the system can actually deliver multichannel lossless audio over it. And I don't think there's much chance of that happening until Snow Leopard arrives, since supposedly QuickTime is getting some overhauls then.
  • Reply 24 of 105
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How many times do we have to go over this. Other vendors use the much thicker and cheaper tray-loading notebook drives, while the MacBook, 15" MacBook Pro and 20" iMac use 9.5mm slot-loading drives (which no evidence of a BRD of that size actually exists beyond Panasonic saying they are working on it); while the 17" MacBook Pro and 24" iMac use a 12.5mm slot-loading drive, which retails for $1000.

Yes, only a reader would be cheaper, but that is non-starter. Yes, Apple could move to a thicker case and use a tray-loading drive, but that ruins Apple's premium PC market for an overly expensive and unpopular option.

There you go altering what you meant to suit your argument. The OP stated they wanted HDMI to make connecting to a larger screen easier. This has nothing to do with Blu-ray as there are many application in which this would be a benefit, even if you weren't playing back HD content, but now it's about 7.1 audio.

Blah , blah , blah , blah- I knew the hot air was about to be released .

1.) Dvd readers were added to Macs before writers. Who mentioned writers?- only you.

2.) SOUND has everything to do with blu-ray- so little do you know. IT NOT JUST VIDEO.

Your $1,000 add-on argument is once again- bogus.
  • Reply 25 of 105
    Quote:

The only way Apple uses mini-DVI on that casing is if they introduce a 15" MacBook. But when has Apple put the video out so close to the front of the machine? Do we know that the hole is the correct size in relation to the USB ports next to it? Why are some of the pics taken from some bacholer's flat that is clearly not China or Cupertino?

It will have ports on the opposite side, almost for sure on the MBP. We cant's see the express card port either so some ports should be added on the other side. The optical drive will stay on the front, i guess, as usual.
  • Reply 26 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vagvoba View Post

That's a 4 pin FireWire port. Having looked at both the MBP and the MB images, it seems like Apple is replacing the 6 pin IEEE1394a ports with 4 pin IEEE1394a ports.

(The current MBP line features a 9 pin 1394b and a 6 pin 1394a port, and the MB has only a 6 pin 1394a port.)

The difference between the 6 pin and the 4 pin 1394a ports are the different connector shape and the lack of power connections in the 4 pin version.

It is a pretty sad change for those like me who used the MB with FireWire cameras powered from the FireWire port. For us the only workaround is to buy an external FireWire power adapter (about 10 bucks). Additional hassle...

For those who used their FireWire ports only to connect their camcorders, the change will have no such consequences because camcorders have their own power supplies. They will only need to replace the cable.

That is the best answer I've read for that port. I can't imagine Apple putting the video-out so close to the front, now it makes sense. They have removed the charging capabilities of the FW from their iDevices, so it does make some sense. I guess the other side (even though the images don't show it*) would have to have at least, a video-out.

edit: Apple has put Mini-DVI between the mic and USB on the PowerBooks, but the rumoured pci isn't showing a Mini-DVI port..
  • Reply 27 of 105
    Sheesh, everybody seems to get pissed of with the new keyboard layout? Have you guys actually used it? as in really try to use it for at least a week, of course some of you will miss the old keyboard layout but the new one is not that bad either. Surprisingly I get less typos on the new keyboard layout compared to the current MBP keyboard.

I do hope the MBP will come in Matte.
  • Reply 28 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShavenYak View Post

No it isn't. It might be the only way HD video with multichannel sound is commercially distributed right now (and that's not even technically true - you can still buy HD-DVDs), but that means nothing. There's no reason (besides bandwidth) that Apple couldn't put high-bitrate MPEG-4/TrueHD movies in the iTunes Store. Or they could use 8 channels of Apple Lossless audio.

Still, I'd rather they don't tease us with an HDMI output unless the system can actually deliver multichannel lossless audio over it. And I don't think there's much chance of that happening until Snow Leopard arrives, since supposedly QuickTime is getting some overhauls then.

I agree with your points and that's why I stated without blu-ray why bother HDMI because it's currently up and ready with the sound specs as is.
  • Reply 29 of 105
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am as Apple crazy as the next guy but is it just me or does this all seem trivial in the light of the what's going on in the World at the moment?

The first iPod event - 1 month after 9/11. Look how far the iPod has gone since. Hollywood boomed during the Great Depression.

A little diversion can be good. I think it's unhealthy if one obsesses over only the bad news. There's always bad things going on, the trick is to not let it get you so hard that it's damaging.

Quote:

Without a blu-ray drive- why bother?

Show photos, slide shows or other forms of videos?

Quote:

That figure seems way steep. How do the PC manufacturers include them if they cost that much?

PC's with blu-ray are simply not $1,000 more than the non-Blu-ray versions.

No one else is using slot loading writers in their notebooks that I'm aware. All the writers I've seen in notebooks are tray loaders. The cheapest notebooks with Blu-Ray are reader-only. The ones with writers are a lot more expensive.
  • Reply 30 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IrishMac View Post

If one has media on their laptop and wanted to watch on a big tv then its useful. Right now I plug in my 12'' Powerbook into my plasma using the vga adaptor. It works fine but I'd like a neater solution without adaptors. I haven't got anything blu-ray at the moment.

Sure an ATV would be good for me but its not flexible enough.

It may be useful to you but it's not useful if it compromises the design. The HDMI port is not tiny nor particularly thin.
  • Reply 31 of 105
    Quote:

Blah , blah , blah , blah- I knew the hot air was about to be released .

1.) Dvd readers were added to Macs before writers. Who mentioned writers?- only you.

2.) SOUND has everything to do with blu-ray- so little do you know. IT NOT JUST VIDEO.

Your $1,000 add-on argument is once again- bogus.

Th OP ddn't mention playing HD video. You did. Then when cornered with facts you mention 7.1 channel audio. The OP only mentioned connecting to an LCD/Plasma TV. If youc can't concieve of uses beyond playing Blu-ray movies I feel sorry for you.

Even when spelling it for you and linking to sites you still can't see the simplest of facts. If you are so convinced that it's possible to have a 9.5mm BRD for the same price as as others are selling then I implore you to back up your statements with some facts. Or at least make an argument that shows that Apple cares about BR playback, but won't confuse buyers by not offering burning, and will somehow change their design to accommodate the $150 large form factor, tray-loading BRD that other PC vendors are using.

(I figure this is where you would change your argument to say you've been talking about the Mac Pro the whole time.)
  • Reply 32 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Sheesh, everybody seems to get pissed of with the new keyboard layout? Have you guys actually used it?

I understand some people prefer the current MBP keyboard, but I wonder how many would not by a new Mac because of the keyboard change.
  • Reply 33 of 105
    tmedia1tmedia1 Posts: 104member
    Please let the 15in have 3 USB ports be available in BLACK!
  • Reply 34 of 105
    Quote:

That is the best answer I've read for that port. I can't imagine Apple putting the video-out so close to the front, now it makes sense. They have removed the charging capabilities of the FW from their iDevices, so it does make some sense. I guess the other side (even though the images don't show it*) would have to have at least, a video-out.

edit: Apple has put Mini-DVI between the mic and USB on the PowerBooks, but the rumoured pci isn't showing a Mini-DVI port..

Furthermore, the FireWire ports are currently powered only when the laptops are running from the power adapter. When running from battery, even the existing 6 and 9 pin ports have their power lines turned off. It means that using an external FireWire power adapter will not be a big issue because a power outlet is/was needed anyways.

Btw, just on the side note: having a full featured, powered 6 pin FireWire port is an exceptional feature on the current MacBook. In this price category this is the only laptop on the market having such a port.

Other manufacturers put only a 4 pin port even on their high-end offerings.

Considering all this, I can totally understand Apple that they will provide powered FireWire port (1394b 9 pin) only on the MB Pro line in the future.
  • Reply 35 of 105
    Quote:

Th OP ddn't mention playing HD video. You did. Then when cornered with facts you mention 7.1 channel audio. The OP only mentioned connecting to an LCD/Plasma TV. If youc can't concieve of uses beyond playing Blu-ray movies I feel sorry for you.

Even when spelling it for you and linking to sites you still can't see the simplest of facts. If you are so convinced that it's possible to have a 9.5mm BRD for the same price as as others are selling then I implore you to back up your statements with some facts. Or at least make an argument that shows that Apple cares about BR playback, but won't confuse buyers by not offering burning, and will somehow change their design to accommodate the $150 large form factor, tray-loading BRD that other PC vendors are using.

(I figure this is where you would change your argument to say you've been talking about the Mac Pro the whole time.)

And on and on he goes.

Somewhere I missed where you showed me an example of the $1,000 plus differential cost of the blu-ray PC vs its non blu-ray counterpart?
  • Reply 36 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vagvoba View Post

Btw, just on the side note: having a full featured, powered 6 pin FireWire port is an exceptional feature on the current MacBook. In this price category this is the only laptop on the market having such a port.

Other manufacturers put only a 4 pin port even on their high-end offerings.

Considering all this, I can totally understand Apple that they will provide powered FireWire port (1394b 9 pin) only on the MB Pro line in the future.

That is one option that I rarely see compared when mentioning how a MacBook compares to other PCs, but once it's gone I'm sure we'll see a lot of complaining about it. I wonder if it's not used or if was just taken for granted.

PS: I have moved my external drives to USB because FW offered too issues which required resetting the plug or restarting the Mac.
  • Reply 37 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMat View Post

I think, however, that keeping the "Pro" line different than the other line is something consumers would like. Maybe a different material for the chassis, or a different colour?

Apple has built it's strength on the "status" value of their products, besides the wonderful OS and exceptional built quality. People spending for the "Pro" line, that is my personal feeling (not only as a "Pro" owner, but also as a person with a master in communication), love to be recognized

from the rumours i've heard, the pro and the air will have black backlit keys and the standard macbook will have plain white ones like the imac keyboard. its not a huge distinction, but as long as it looks good to me (which seems promising from these spy shots) i'll be happy.

I think if you play the status game with something as rapidly evolving as electronics, you're always going to end up frustrated... the folks who got the iphone when it first came out in all its uber expensive glory now have to deal with every third person seeming to have one (and having gotten it for way cheaper).

now from a slightly different angle, it is sorta a shame they aren't going the nano-chromatic route for colour options. on the one hand it'd probably look gaudy, but if apple's vision is for a sea of identical looking notebooks populating college campuses and workplaces, thats pretty bleak too.

we'll see what happens i guess!
  • Reply 38 of 105
    Quote:

And on and on he goes.

Somewhere I missed where you showed me an example of the $1,000 plus differential cost in the blu-ray PC vs its non blu-ray counterpart?

I never said plus or differential. I said it cost $1000 for a 12.7mm slot-loading BRD, and that no 9.5mm BRD was yet on the market. I also linked to it in my original mention of it becauseI knew you would not take the 10 seconds to look it up. I am still waiting for you rationale as to how Apple will achieve this momentous feat of comparably priced BRD in 9.5mm form factor.
  • Reply 39 of 105
    Quote:

----

It's been interesting reading the opinions, but I put him on ignore LONG ago.

--

I don't understand the fretting some people are doing about it being too BIG a change (the keyboard) or not enough of a change (the chassis/overall device shape) because any of the current laptops look great, why change much more, they are close to perfection for the components they need to house.

Alu might be cool on the complete range, and hopefully lead to multiple colours, while I'm not sure about that idea working, it would be nice and would be another differentiator between Apple and everyone else.
  • Reply 40 of 105
    Quote:

Yeah, a store like FastMac isn't designed to part Mac users with their money. That "FastMac" drive is actually a Panasonic UJ-225, and I guarantee you it doesn't cost a grand.