Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Wow!

I agree with you!

Keep reading. The answer will come.
  • Reply 82 of 105
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chillout View Post

That would be the one. Is it supposed to be a red blur or is it a problem with my browser?

I don't know. I don't see a red blur on FireFox 2 or Safari 3. There are red arrows now, as well as two red ellipses.
  • Reply 83 of 105
    So who's down for building a time machine so we don't have to wait anymore and we can all stop speculating and start complaining and critiquing? I don't know about the rest of you, but this anticipation is really killing me.
  • Reply 84 of 105
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

So who's down for building a time machine so we don't have to wait anymore and we can all stop speculating and start complaining and critiquing? I don't know about the rest of you, but this anticipation is really killing me.

I know - right? All I do hope is that they're inexpensive (read CHEAP)!!
  • Reply 85 of 105
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Oh, I know... It's going to be the Beatles MacBook, with super cool silkscreened graphics and a limited edition holographic Apple/Apple Corps. logo!
  • Reply 86 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I know - right? All I do hope is that they're inexpensive (CHEAP)!!

I dont know man. Them being sorta expensive keeps the number of people who have them down. If price goes down then pc will pretty much keel over and then who is apple going to make fun of in their commercials? lol.
  • Reply 87 of 105
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why did you buy it then?

I'm not really convinced about the death of optical media just yet. The avant-garde may not have much need for it, but until Apple sells all its software by download or USB media, it's too much to axe the drive. And I don't know if I want to buy yet another pair of hard drives (mirrors) just to store rips of all my DVDs.

I bought the optical drive to go with my MacBook Air with the expectation that I might someday need it, for example, to install 10.6 Snow Leopard. I am so, so, so glad that I don't have to lug it around with me every time I travel with my MacBook Air. I'm really hoping that the photos showing the new laptops with optical drive slots are either decoys or fakes and that Apple have realized that it's time for optical drives to be external.
  • Reply 88 of 105
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I'm really hoping that the photos showing the new laptops with optical drive slots are either decoys or fakes and that Apple have realized that it's time for optical drives to be external.

Going away, not just yet. Going external, that would be great. But JeffDM has a point that they need to make their installation software available by another means to make it viable. With SL they might be able to get away with an 8GB flash drive, but right now they would need 16GB unless they want to make the SDK, and printer drivers only for download.
  • Reply 89 of 105
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

I bought the optical drive to go with my MacBook Air with the expectation that I might someday need it, for example, to install 10.6 Snow Leopard. I am so, so, so glad that I don't have to lug it around with me every time I travel with my MacBook Air. I'm really hoping that the photos showing the new laptops with optical drive slots are either decoys or fakes and that Apple have realized that it's time for optical drives to be external.

It's not as if Apple is going to take away your Air, so I don't see the problem.
  • Reply 90 of 105
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Going away, not just yet. Going external, that would be great. But JeffDM has a point that they need to make their installation software available by another means to make it viable. With SL they might be able to get away with an 8GB flash drive, but right now they would need 16GB unless they want to make the SDK, and printer drivers only for download.

It would be reasonable to make the SDK available only via download, but I'm not sure everyone is well enough connected to the Internet yet to make the printer drivers available only via download. Yes, eventually, optical drives will go away completely, but that might be a decade away. Now, optical drives should be included with desktop machines and laptops should have external optical drives. If that doesn't happen with this redesign, then it will surely happen with the next redesign (which will also see the end of hard drives). Think how much thinner the MacBook Air could be if it had 128GB or 256GB of flash on the motherboard and no hard disk. Cooling would also be simplified. Two years from now, a MacBook Pro could be about that thin by eliminating all rotating media.
  • Reply 91 of 105
    I am most intrigued by the micro-perforations on the top of the macbook pro keyboard panel. Super large speakers? super ventilation? super-likelihood of being clogged up with human goo of various types?
  • Reply 92 of 105
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

I'm working it. I'm working on it!

Sheesh! Everyone's in a hurry!
  • Reply 93 of 105
    Quote:

A lot of media-centric pros cut CDs and DVDs all the time. I don't think this is the time to eliminate them.
  • Reply 94 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JonathanC View Post

If Apple no longer makes a portable with a common sense, ergonomic keyboard, then I'm simply not using Apple portables anymore.

All the other vendors use piece of shit keyboards, so ENJOY!
  • Reply 95 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IrishMac View Post

I hope they add HDMI at least to make it easier to plug into a plasma/lcd tv.

Or you can buy a $15 DVI to HDMI cable or get an adapter

HDMI remains the interface for multimedia, not the computing that Macs are supposed to be.

Almost all gaming video cards that I know of still come with dual DVI outputs.
  • Reply 96 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Or you can buy a $15 DVI to HDMI cable or get an adapter

HDMI remains the interface for multimedia, not the computing that Macs are supposed to be.

Almost all gaming video cards that I know of still come with dual DVI outputs.

HDMI is DVI plus audio. Without the audio, its not a "real" HDMI connection. You now have to muck with the audio separately.

But, you can separate the DVI from the HDMI, and even have the audio available at the user end. Much better.

Also HDMI 1.3a has far better specs than does plain Jane DVI
  • Reply 97 of 105
    I wouldn't consider it "mucking around" just to use the optical output on the MB/MBP to get audio. For 2-channel users like me, this is almost ideal (AES and co-axial being preferable) because we don't use HDMI for audio since we use DACs.

My point that HDMI is not strictly for serious computing use (with a few exceptions) stands. Most PC cards, except those designed for HTPC, still use DVI.
  • Reply 98 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

I wouldn't consider it "mucking around" just to use the optical output on the MB/MBP to get audio. For 2-channel users like me, this is almost ideal (AES and co-axial being preferable) because we don't use HDMI for audio since we use DACs.

My point that HDMI is not strictly for serious computing use (with a few exceptions) stands. Most PC cards, except those designed for HTPC, still use DVI.

Oh, please, DAC's.

That's 'nother whole argument!
  • Reply 99 of 105
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    The MacBook Pros should have HDMI. If there is a HDMI to DVI cable that can drive 30" Cinema Display, then... no need for mini-DVI, DVI ports on MBP, just HDMI...???
  • Reply 100 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A photo of a mysterious notebook leaked on the Internet Wednesday is indeed one taken of Apple's next-generation MacBook Pro casing, AppleInsider can confirm. Meanwhile, some additional photos of a similar, but still unauthenticated 13-inch notebook have since surfaced.

what's "...the Internet Wednesday..."?