Piper Jaffray says new MacBooks could be priced from $899

Comments

• Reply 41 of 146
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Link?

I was in a hurry - so perhaps stagnant was not the best wording but here goes:

?We continue to believe that MacBook Pro and MacBook are due for refreshes with more radical redesigns, likely at a special event later this fall. In addition, we are picking up that MacBook Air could see a minor refresh and potential price cut to increase its value proposition as build plans have slowed from earlier robust levels as customers have opted for MacBook or MacBook Pro instead.? Shaw Wu
  • Reply 42 of 146
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    $899 seems feasible for the same spec MB at $1099 now in a new case.

MBA at $1499. +$100 for 120gb pata.

MBP at $1799 - $2499 with BTO blu ray adding $300.

i'd also shave aboot $200 off of the estimate for apple stock. the world is in sell-off panic mode.

all stocks are being affected, no matter how solid the company is. i said i'd buy more aapl at $80 but i might wait for $66.
  • Reply 43 of 146
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And I suppose you haven't read or perhaps understand that the sales for the MBA are stagnant? I haven't read Sony sales reports for the TT or TZ. Have you?

Where did you hear that?

Quote:

So add it to the MacBookPro then. My point is -it's almost 2009 and no Mac has a blu-ray drive. Many of us want one. Just because you may not doesn't make it an undersirable option.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I agree with Teckstud here. And if the MBP needs a thicker enclosure to accommodate a tray drive then so be it.

Apple's most expensive and technologically advanced laptop should have the most advanced optical drive available as well.

Its not so much about the people on this list. The majority of the consumer market doesn't care about BD. Netflix has announced that BD adds nearly nothing to its revenue. Has begun charging customers who want BD a dollar to cover the higher cost of he disk.

No Apple should not make the case thicker for a feature most people don't want.

BD drives are not that advanced. They are slower and more expensive than DVD drives.

Quote:

BTW--The market you speak of has tanked. Not even Apple could have predicted that- sorry to say.

We've been in severe recessions before. Life doesn't stop because of it.
  • Reply 44 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Exaggerated? Sure. Troll? No way.

He does have a point, right now the $1100 macbook doesn't have a DVD burner. PCs have that at half the price and less.

It seems obvious that what he means is that the base Apple models tend to lag way behind in ram, HD size, and optical drive specs. Unless the machine is insanely cheap, it seems criminal not to include DVD burning. And I have to agree that it's pretty unbelievable that Apple hasn't shipped a single machine at this late date that even includes BD as an OPTION.

I can see that point. I never buy the cheapest machine. What also gets missed out on still even with the DVD burner and RAM issue. The cheaper PC is generally using a less costly chipset and slower CPU. It becomes easier to bump the RAM and drives. They cost less than the chips.
  • Reply 45 of 146
    Quote:

I was in a hurry - so perhaps stagnant was not the best wording but here goes:

?We continue to believe that MacBook Pro and MacBook are due for refreshes with more radical redesigns, likely at a special event later this fall. In addition, we are picking up that MacBook Air could see a minor refresh and potential price cut to increase its value proposition as build plans have slowed from earlier robust levels as customers have opted for MacBook or MacBook Pro instead.? Shaw Wu

The MBA is a niche product and was never really speculated to sell as well as the MacBook.

I will agree it badly needs a storage increase.
  • Reply 46 of 146
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I think they should make an entry level "netbook" version of the macbook air in a plastic case

11" MacBook nano

1.6 Ghz Core2Duo

2GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

80GB 4200-rpm PATA HD

available in 1 configuration, 9 different colors (plastic case)

available for $899

I've been hoping for something similar but with enough room for a SATA drive and a replaceable battery. No DVD drive, either - offer an external.

Don't care what size HDD they market with it, as long as they don't go to parallel, I'll be ok. I'd put a 300GB SATA drive in mine anyway. Already have 126GB of specs and component drawings and PPT presentations on the drive. When you're 10,000 miles from the office, you better have everything you might need with you! :-)

I moved from owning a long series of metal Apple laptops over the course of 7 years to a black MacBook about a year ago, and I'm grooving on the superior WiFi reception that plastic provides. When I brought that puppy home, for the first time ever, I could cruise the net from my backyard deck! Could never do that with the aluminum models. My wife's brand new aluminum Intel 15" cannot find a signal on our deck... but my BlackBook can!

An 11 or 12" LCD would be dynamite - 13" is just marginally too high for the seat back tray on an aircraft. If the guy in front of you decides to tip his seat back, that's it, no more work for you!

I really dig the looks of the MBA but it's just doesn't have the three features I really need in a traveling machine: storage space, battery swap and IO. Everything else about it is very cool.

My sinking feeling is that they'll turn the MacBooks into smaller aluminum versions of the Pro line, and once again, my WiFi signal strength will be trimmed by a very attractive but effective metal shield.
  • Reply 47 of 146
    What's with Gene Munster with this target price of $250. Is this the target price five years from now? We're practically staring at an Apple share price of $25 regardless of what it's real value is.

I'm sure a lot of people are going to be buying Apple notebooks, but it doesn't matter what Apple sells or how many buyers, the share price is going lower. Apple will have that much larger a cash reserve but Apple investors won't get anything out of it.
  • Reply 48 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Man, am I glad I sold my Core Duo MacBook for $800 a few months ago.

Man, am I glad I sold my PowerBook G4 for $800 a few months ago.
  • Reply 49 of 146
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah I am not sure anyone should consult him for 401k advice. Apple's one year high is just about 200.00 not sure how he expect 250.00 when the market drops about 7% daily.

I expect AAPL to hit in the low 80's before the pain ends.

So you think the bottom is about 10% away? That qualifies you as a pretty solid bull, you realize?
  • Reply 50 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Of course this is just my opinion like everyone else but Apple stands no chance of seeing 170 anytime soon. Apple could come out with the best products on earth and the simple fact is people are not spending. This is expected to be the worst holiday buying season in the past two decades.

Apple has never seen 250.00 I certainly don't expect it to see 250.00 with the world economy this bad.

Consumers simply are not thinking about buying ipods and macbooks.

well apple is still selling products although less. go visit the apple store and see. it is busy. i think apple will still be able to grow their earnings and most likely beat analyst projections. $250 is possible in 2009. Given the volatility of the market, stocks could shoot up instantly once investor confidence return.

the economy is not in depression yet.

first time positing here. HI
  • Reply 51 of 146
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

.... The majority of the consumer market doesn't care about BD....

MBPs are supposedly machines made for pros, not consumers.

It ought to have a BD optical drive, IMO.
  • Reply 52 of 146
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    As I predicted yesterday Apple is releasing the new Macbook/Pros in October.

Now believe me when I reiterate it will have an Intel chipset!

Nvidia is out of the chipset business.

Macbook Pros may or may not have a dedicated Nvidia GPU.

It may have an ATI GPU.
  • Reply 53 of 146
    OK. I really want to Know.

the whole new "entry level" macbook is gonna be significantly cheaper in price right...

does that mean they 1gb of ram, etc. I low end model... That would really get me mad.

i wanna buy whatever the middle macbook is, then upgrade everything on it.

EX: i was gonna but the Middle macbook, 1299 model, upgrade it to 4gbs of ram and 250 gb hard drive and it would have inly been 1600. that is Incredibly good.

are the specs gonna get dumbed down in any way due to economics???
  • Reply 54 of 146
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iijuanii View Post

are the specs gonna get dumbed down in any way due to economics???

No, the $899 MB will be high end, and the $1099 one will just be a different color. For $1299 you get an extra Apple sticker. Add another $200 to $1499 and it comes with a free copy of Firefox. The $1699 model is the real high end, you get a free $25 iTunes Store gift card, plus all the other stuff.

Duh.

The low end model will be LOW END, meaning most of the important specs will feature smaller numbers to hit a lower price point.

Duh.
  • Reply 55 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

MBPs are supposedly machines made for pros, not consumers.

It ought to have a BD optical drive, IMO.

What would help this opinion is if their were evidence that sales of notebooks with BD drives is growing faster than notebooks without. Then I would agree. So far sales indicate that most people don't give a rats.....about BD.
  • Reply 56 of 146
    Apple will finally admit that the MacBook Air was an overpriced product that failed miserably, just like the G4 Cube. At least the Cube was the same speed as the Power Mac G4 towers, and not some crippled computer that was $300-$500 more expensive than its closest sibling, the MacBook.
  • Reply 57 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

As long as it's available only as an external option, then I agree with you.

No one has any interest in spending money for a Pro-level laptop and then expect to pay extra for an external optical drive. You are out of touch with reality. The majority of users use the internal optical drive and don't want to lug around another device.
  • Reply 58 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

No, the $899 MB will be high end, and the $1099 one will just be a different color. For $1299 you get an extra Apple sticker. Add another $200 to $1499 and it comes with a free copy of Firefox. The $1699 model is the real high end, you get a free $25 iTunes Store gift card, plus all the other stuff.

Duh.

The low end model will be LOW END, meaning most of the important specs will feature smaller numbers to hit a lower price point.

Duh.

there is no such thing as a $1699.

duh.

get your numbers straight if you're gonna post a sarcastic reply.

i'm gonna stay off this and wait to watch the keynote
  • Reply 59 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

As long as it's available only as an external option, then I agree with you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What would help this opinion is if their were evidence that sales of notebooks with BD drives is growing faster than notebooks without. Then I would agree. So far sales indicate that most people don't give a rats.....about BD.

I believe you are correct. Most people don't care about a Blu-Ray drive, especially when the software doesn't exist for playing movies. Most people back up data to an external hard drive, not an optical drive. And you are not going to be dumb enough to burn some files to a BR disc to give to your friend when they don't have a drive that can read the disc! Get a clue! Blu-Ray has barely penetrated the home market for movies, and DVD's far outsell BluRay. Plus, a slot-load Blu-Ray disc burner would be pretty damn slow, so enjoy waiting HOURS to burn GB's of data to a disc.
  • Reply 60 of 146
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    BTW Y'all in the US... Have you seen how strong your dollar is? You should take a break and go to UK, Europe, Australia. Outside of the US we're getting slammed both in our stock markets and our currencies are dropping like a rock against the US dollar.

But yeah, not fun times for everyone in or out of the US...