Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook

Comments

• Reply 41 of 522
    Its ridiculous... the specs are either lowered or the same.... All they focused on was the graphics card. If all the people that had bought their BEST Selling laptop the Macbook had previously focused on Graphics they wouldn't have bought it.

Most people in a 13in laptop don't need top of the line graphics, I see no reason to upgrade from my 2.4ghz $1299 to 2.0 ghz when I have an Xbox 360 and a dedicated gaming pc.

And besides, honestly I think mine looks better. I don't like the black around the screen. It should have been all aluminum.
  • Reply 42 of 522
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smartz View Post

I accept what your saying but it doesn't add up lets take the Mac Mini for example is $599.00. In the UK its £374.00 with a difference at todays conversion of £33.00 or $58.00 and that includes VAT.

This is a $350.00 con!

The Mac mini won't cost $599, that is without tax. What you are missing is the fact that in the US we will get charged the $58 in tax on the $599 Mac mini.
  • Reply 43 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

How can Apple be so smart and so stupid at the same time?

The white Macbook doesn't even have the newer X4500 Intel graphics, it is still using the older 3100. At $899 it would be a better deal, but with $500 laptops with equal or better specs, not so much. It seems like it is just there to make you get the $1299 version. If they had just included firewire or an expresscard slot it would be a lot easier to swallow.

Since the entry $999 Macbook is likely aimed at college students it will really cost $899 because of the education discount.

Equal or better specs on a $500 laptop? Does it run OS X? No. Not equal.

I agree with the comments on no Firewire... I hadn't noticed that before. The arguments kind of remind me of all the hoopla surrounding the lack of a floppy drive on the original iMac though. Is it really that big of a deal?

If you have Firewire peripherals you might have to invest in the Macbook Pro or buy an iMac. Or, you could sell them to all of the other people who are still happily using their current Macbooks.

Let's get some perspective people. Apple has revolutionized the notebook. Give them credit.

And stop your WHINING!!
  • Reply 44 of 522
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smartz View Post

I accept what your saying but it doesn't add up lets take the Mac Mini for example is $599.00. In the UK its £374.00 with a difference at todays conversion of £33.00 or $58.00 and that includes VAT.

This is a $350.00 con!

I think you're confused. The Mac mini in the UK store is £339.57 ex VAT, that today is $594. So right now the Mac mini in the UK store is approximately the same price as in the US store ($5 cheaper).

Where you're getting this $350 from I can't say. $115 it is, and I believe you can probably explain that by the fluctuations in the value of the pound an dollar, after all a few months ago the pound was $2. Now it is $1.75. This is probably why the new machines are slightly more expensive.

Sucks for sure, but I still think that most of your $350 figure you can blame on the UK goverment's VAT rate.
  • Reply 45 of 522
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

I'm a bit taken aback by the price points. One would think that given the economic conditions hammering the world economies that Apple would price these things a bit more competitively. Perhaps their marketing and segmentation says otherwise. Who knows! I know one thing for sure, several people I know have been holding out their purchase in anticipation for these new models but at lower price points.

Yup. And this is part of why AAPL took a dive minutes after the event wrapped.

• Reply 46 of 522
    Does anyone know what the slit on the front right corner is for on the new MacBook?
  • Reply 47 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post

A $350 difference? In the US, sales tax has to be added to that. The sales tax varies from state to state (0% in 2 states, but most are around 5-8%). For me, it's 7%, so the $1299 MacBook will actually cost me $1390. UK(and other European) prices include ridiculously high (20% + taxes...called GST or VAT). I think the UK is something like 17%

$1299 x 1.07= $1389.93

£949/1.17=£811.11 and the exchange rate (from XE at 14:36) is $1.74481=£1

£811.11 x 1.74481= $1415.23

$1415.23-$1389.93=$25.30=£14.50

That is quite close!! Remember that exchange rates vary and there is probably extra costs involved in doing business with the UK.

Erm, your comparing the UK price minus VAT (Which is 17.5% and not 17% but that's a tiny difference) to your US dollar price after you've added on your 7% sales tax.

Surely you need to do $1415.23-$1299 which is $116.23 dollars difference.
  • Reply 48 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnoh2 View Post

And stop your WHINING!!

Is it really 'whining' to note that Apple kinda screwed the pooch in some ways here?

The pricepoints aren't as aggressive as ppl hoped, especially considering that we're likely entering a prolonged worldwide recession. And the no Firewire is just plain inexcusable.

That said, I love the sexy new casings, and the improved graphics performance. But it's just such a mixed bag. Like many others, I was expecting more. Not sure Steve helped himself here.

• Reply 49 of 522
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Apple's logic is simple.

Among the existing Macbook users, how many use Firewire? 1%? (I don't).

If Firewire costs $10, does it make sense to include it in the Macbook when 99% users don't use it?

By the way, to those who have Firewire external drives....look at the back, I am 100% sure it also have USB connection. As far as I am concerned, the only difference is no DV camcorder connection and no target disk mode.
  • Reply 50 of 522
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Actually, the whole market took a dive, so Apple decision will surely destroy the economy.

Just kidding....but we all know AAPL takes a dive everytime after a product announcement. This has always always been the pattern for the last 3 to 4 years.
  • Reply 51 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Actually, the whole market took a dive, so Apple decision will surely destroy the economy.

Just kidding....but we all know AAPL takes a dive everytime after a product announcement. This has always always been the pattern for the last 3 to 4 years.

Actually, while the Dow was also down right after the event wrapped, it wasn't down by nearly as much as AAPL was down.

Far as AAPL 'always' diving after a product announcement, was that true for the announcement of the iPhone at MacWorld '07? I don't know either way, just asking.

• Reply 52 of 522
    Quote:

Among the existing Macbook users, how many use Firewire? 1%? (I don't).

I'll bet more than that.

Quote:

By the way, to those who have Firewire external drives....look at the back, I am 100% sure it also have USB connection.

Some hard drives have both, but there are tons of peripherals that only have one or the other.
  • Reply 53 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Except that the whole market took a dive at the same time. Considering AAPL only went down a couple percent after the event, it's hard to blame the new machines for that.
  • Reply 54 of 522
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    How come it's $999 when the http://www.apple.com/macbook/ says "The next generation of notebooks starts at $1299." WTF?

Also, no firewire.
  • Reply 55 of 522
    You can put firewire in if they have an ExpressCard slot.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw...esscard34.html

I know it would be handy to have it built into the computer, but still, you aren't dead in the water.
  • Reply 56 of 522
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    No FireWire? This has to be one of the dumbest moves imaginable!

How much would it have cost Apple to include a FireWire port on the MacBook? $3-$5 at the very most per unit? I'd have given 'em an extra $30 for it.

These things are seriously hobbled and now seriously overpriced this side of the water.

..."New design. New features. New technologies.

All engineered to standards that don’t even exist yet."...

"Yea, and while were at it, let's un-engineer one of the very technologies that attracts so many video/audio people to the Mac 'cos were sooo forward looking."

What about the standards that do exist? The very technology that a helluva lot of people here use daily?

Unbelievably bad move Apple. That Sony vaio is looking sweeter by the day.
  • Reply 57 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Except that the whole market took a dive at the same time. Considering AAPL only went down a couple percent after the event, it's hard to blame the new machines for that.

Again, not exactly.

AAPL was down by as much as 7.05 right after the event. That's more than a 6% drop, not a 'couple of percent'. And the market as a whole was not down by nearly that much at the time.

Even right now, with the market nose-diving due to profit-taking, it's still down only 2.5 percent as of this writing. AAPL was/is down a lot more.

Check out the DOW vs APPL today:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=A...urce=undefined

• Reply 58 of 522
    This may sound silly, but I can't see a fan anywhere on it. How does it keep cool?
  • Reply 59 of 522
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post

You can put firewire in if they have an ExpressCard slot.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw...esscard34.html

I know it would be handy to have it built into the computer, but still, you aren't dead in the water.

The MacBook doesn't have an ExpressCard slot.
  • Reply 60 of 522
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Keping an eye on this forum and a few others, this is the first time in my 4 years of Mac tracking that practically nobody is positive over the new stuff... It's also the first time I'm disappointed with a new release.

I'm usually on the "you guys need to stop whining"-side, but this time, Apple seems to have missed the ball and the entire internet agrees. (Save 2-3% of people)

This thing is too expensive and overspecced for the student-target group, but is also missing some essential features for the pros. Who are they aiming this at?