Apple releases new 15" MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 101 of 383
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Nonsense! My wife and daughter both have 24" glass iMacs. The images from those screens are by far the best Apple ever offered. Neither has reflection problems.

Don't you guys get it?

If it's good enough for Mel's wife & kids, then it's good enough for you!

Mandatory glossy screen.

One less FW port.

Apple should just end the charade, and stop using the word "Pro" in their laptop line.
  • Reply 102 of 383
    Here's a nice little comparison between a matte and glossy display. As you can see, the glossy display has by far the most distracting reflections, where you can see the top of the lamp very clearly. All you get in the matte display is a slodge of light from behind (at the top centre). This is much less distracting than being able to clearly see what is behind you!

• Reply 103 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

That's it, for the first time in 13 years as a Mac user I hate or cant afford all of their computers. I hate, HATE glass screens and I Hate HATE Glossy Screens. Now I have no choice except a Mac Pro which I can't afford. I hope my 2 year old MacBook Pro last long enough for me to figure out how to build my own laptop.

Fuck You Apple, You just lost me. I now feel the pain of your bull shit locked system.

You should give the glossy screens a chance. I was negative towrds them at first too, but change is always difficult, even when it's for the best. Now I can't stand Matte screens.
  • Reply 104 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webhead View Post

You should give the glossy screens a chance. I was negative towrds them at first too, but change is always difficult, even when it's for the best. Now I can't stand Matte screens.

I agree completely, same story. I love my glossy screen. Never have I thought, man I just wish that glare was gone. Why? Because it either isn't there or the glare is washed out by the awesome colors coming out of the screen.
  • Reply 105 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Apple needed to reduce the price of their computers in the current financial climate.

Do you have a forecast for how long the "current financial climate" will last? Two weeks? Two months? Two years? What should Apple price for?

More important, there's Econ 101: On the demand front, why should Apple lower prices when they are growing much faster than the market, and they're gaining significant share in laptops at current prices? On the supply front, why shouldn't Apple seek to recoup some of the R&D -- and other fixed costs -- from its major retooling of the production process, the glass touchpad etc?

Finally, it is easier to set a higher price initially and subsequently lower it, than do the reverse.
  • Reply 106 of 383
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Glossy displays are CAPABLE of producing a more accurate representation of the information than matte displays - in lab conditions.

Yes.

Quote:

But matte displays are more likely to produce a more accurate representation in the real world, because of the reflections on a glossy display.

No.

Quote:

Then there is the issue of placing a sheet of glass between the panel and the user. A piece of glass whose sole purpose (in the iMac at least) is designed to 'enhance' the picture quality. It's this 'enhancement' that makes the iMac's glassy-glossy display doubly unsuitable for colour repro.

No.

Quote:

I have yet to meet an artworker (whom I respect) that prefers glossy over matte in a work environment. I do however know dozens who will avoid glossy displays at all costs. I know of one artworker in particular who threatened to walk out if the IT department forced him to use a new glassy-glossy iMac.

There have been few glossy monitors for a while in the higher graphics ranges. All the top graphics monitors used to be glossy. No professional working at those levels would have accepted a matte display.

But now people are used to lower quality displays, as well as matte at the high end.

I would have fired that "artworker", whatever that term means, from my company if he did that.

Besides, we wouldn't have used iMacs for that purpose, even though the new 24" iMac has a VERY good screen. Wherever (s)he works, it cant be a very high quality place if they wont use higher grade machines.

Quote:

And a lot of us don't have the choice of where we work or how it's lit. I'm a freelancer, so I turn up and get told where to sit and that's it. And now, thanks to Apple we don't have the choice of a matte display laptop either.

I still see very few problems. moving the display a small bit one way or the other is easily done without much fuss. If the lighting is really that terrible, then matte displays won't help either because of the other problems with them I mentioned.

Quote:

My ideal kit was a 17" high res. matte MacBook Pro, with a matte Cinema Display at each location. Looks like I'll be spending my money on something else!

Fair enough.
  • Reply 107 of 383
    Quote:

1. I took tax into account already, can't you read?

2. This pretty much prices Apple out of the UK. Well done Apple!

It must you who really can't read (or, for that matter, do arithmetic). You may wish to recalculate for yourself what 82.5% of your own VAT-included numbers are.

(Oh, and then, there are those two additional points I made, about distribution/retailing costs, and exchange rate effects.)
  • Reply 108 of 383
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze

The touchpad is no doubt going to be nice, BUT WHAT SENSE DOES IT MAKE TO PUT SO MUCH EMPHASIS ON THE TOUCHPAD AND THEN USE A KEYBOARD AS LOUSY AS THIS? It does not make a whit of sense.

It's funny cause having had a loan of an older MacBook Pro with the last keyboard for a couple of days, put me off buying one. And trying out the Air helped me figure out why. The new black keyboard is around (and this is no scientific measurement) 64 times better. I absolutely hate the silver MacBook Pro keyboard, with a passion!!!
  • Reply 109 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

That's it, for the first time in 13 years as a Mac user I hate or cant afford all of their computers. I hate, HATE glass screens and I Hate HATE Glossy Screens. Now I have no choice except a Mac Pro which I can't afford. I hope my 2 year old MacBook Pro last long enough for me to figure out how to build my own laptop.

Fuck You Apple, You just lost me. I now feel the pain of your bull shit locked system.

These are computers, you know, not ex lovers. Hate is such a strong word.
  • Reply 110 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cddude View Post

Thanks for addressing some of my concerns.

After hearing this news I thought maybe i should be considering the MB instead of the MBP. However, no Firewire (which i would assume is super important for video editing) and the CPUs are up to .5 Ghz slower. How important is all that? Could I get a MB instead of MBP and have a quality comp for several years as my photography grows etc.?

I just hate coming in on the low end of features when i want the computer to last for a long while.

FYI: The majority of my data will be stored on an external drive.

The loss of .5 GHz is a wash with the faster RAM and cache on the new MB. But I have to agree the omission of a FireWire is not a good idea. Not a show-stopper mind you, but it does mean you'll have to purchase a CardBus FireWire adapter which Apple or some third-party supplier will gladly sell you.

The option not to have a matte screen may be an issue, but I think better portability with an MB is better than going for a new MBP. You're gonna have enough issues lugging around all your other equipment, so every little helps.

If it were me, I'd go for the new MB. Alternatively, if you really want a MBP go for the current 15" 2.5GHz model. In fact, you can save even more money by going for an Apple refurbished unit, which is currently going for $1,499 vs the original price of $2,499... which is exactly the price I paid for mine... excuse me I've got to go cry now.

-YipYipYipee
  • Reply 111 of 383
    Here are a couple more comparisons for those interested. Apologies for the bluriness, I turned flash off to get a fairer comparison.

• Reply 112 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about here.

While it's true that most people prefer glossy, (and Apple is probably smart to go that way for that reason alone), glossy displays don't give true colour reproduction.

The pictures "look better" because they appear over-saturated. For the segment of the Pro market that needs true colour reproduction (and this segment basically comprised of graphic designers and pro photographers), glossy is just not going to do it. They are a minority segment, but still, if you want truly accurate colour, you need a non glossy screen.

This is exactly right... glossy screens oversaturate and provide too much contrast... that leads to washed out images when they are output to print and I don't know any pros who would touch one...

... then again I don't know anyone who would work extensively on a laptop for high quality photographic work (unless it's hooked up to a decent screen)...

...and as far as the issue of reflection goes it drives me mad and it seems I'm not the only one Apple!

that's my 2p
  • Reply 113 of 383
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It must you who really can't read (or, for that matter, do arithmetic). You may wish to recalculate for yourself what 82.5% of your own VAT-included numbers are.

My ex VAT figure was $1407.68. Add on VAT by multiplying by 1.175 and you get $1654, which is the dollar value given by xe.com for the MacBook price in the UK.

You need to learn how to do maths with percentages.

And as for your other points, so what. The price has gone up. The UK is entering recession and people have very little disposable cash and it's hard to get credit. People aren't going to buy a boutique laptop, they'll make their existing one last longer or buy a cheap one to get them by.
  • Reply 114 of 383
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Here are a couple more comparisons for those interested.

A camera can never do this, especially when it focuses on the background. Having used a glossy display for a while I can tell you the human eye forgets about the background.
  • Reply 115 of 383
    ok what I want to know is how this new "glassy-glossy" differs from the glossy that is on the previous generation Macbooks and Macbook Pros?

The glassy-glossy iMacs have always bothered me.

[I am still on a first gen imac g5 because of the glassy glossy imac...

and I really wanted to make that work too, just could get past all the glare and reflections constantly on the screen. Reflections don't go away even when the glare does]

A co-worker of mine has a [now last revision] macbook pro with the glossy screen,

and my wife has a glossy macbook.

But they don't seem anywhere as bad as the glassy-glossy iMacs that I have tried.

anyone have any insight?

is there a difference?

or are they the same?
  • Reply 116 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Don't you guys get it?

If it's good enough for Mel's wife & kids and, then it's good enough for you!

Mandatory glossy screen.

One less FW port.

Apple should just end the charade, and stop using the word "Pro" in their laptop line.

Cut it out wilco, you been ok for a while, don't go back to your old self.
  • Reply 117 of 383
    Underwhelmed to say the least.

It just seems like Apple is getting ever more expensive yet delivering short on substance.

£950 for a new MacBook is frankly crazy for the specs you're getting. I know it is all about style with Apple, but paying £950 for what is essentially 80% style is far too steep. I'm still happy with my near two year old MacBook.

And will all you graphic designers slagging each other off with who knows best about graphic design just chill out?

No-one's died.
  • Reply 118 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A camera can never do this, especially when it focuses on the background. Having used a glossy display for a while I can tell you the human eye forgets about the background.

The camera didn't actually focus on either of the two shots, so they are both technically out of focus as far as the camera is concerned. I can fully appreciate how the reflections could be very off-putting as no matter how much you are concentrating on what is on the screen, you can still see the reflections out of the corner of your eye.
  • Reply 119 of 383
    Quote:

My ex VAT figure was $1407.68. Add on VAT by multiplying by 1.175 and you get $1654, which is the dollar value given by xe.com for the MacBook price in the UK.

Ah, fair point.

My mistake on that calculaiton.

• Reply 120 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Here's a nice little comparison between a matte and glossy display. As you can see, the glossy display has by far the most distracting reflections, where you can see the top of the lamp very clearly. All you get in the matte display is a slodge of light from behind (at the top centre). This is much less distracting than being able to clearly see what is behind you!

Except that adjusting the angle of the glossy screen a few degrees away from the lamp would eliminate it completely, while the horrible glare on the matte screen behind, which is much worse overall, would not.

The black on the glossy screen is black, while the black on the matte screen is grey.

How you missed the fact that the entire middle of the matte screen is completely white from your flash (or something else), while the glossy screen wasn't affected at all, is hard to understand.

I guess it just shows what I've been saying all along, you see what you want to, and ignore the rest.