Apple unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display

Comments

• Reply 61 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

I didn't know that about the difference between Apple's display and clearly don't know much between the technologies in displays, I was just wondering myself on the justification of the higher price tag for something, the display I just got was $350 Canadian Dollars and though nothing a like, I just couldn't understand most users, especially ones just buying it for their Macbook at the moment would want to pay that much? Which is why I was asking .

I paid $1300 for my 23" Apple Cinema Display, to use with my MacBook. I could have gotten another brand (at the time) for like $800. It was worth every penny.
  • Reply 62 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Folks let's clear some things up.

This is a IPS panel which means it will not have the nasty colorshift of TN panels. When you see a 24" for $300 it's a TN panel folks. You wouldn't want to do graphics on it.

DisplayPort- I'm a big fan of DP. It's license is free..it supports VGA/DVI/HDMI through adapters and it also supports an auxilliary channel (which is likely how Apple is running the audio or perhaps the video as well. Because of DP's design you can make the LCD thinner because it doesn't need to have a bulky TMDS receiver in the monitore. They call this Direct Drive I believe.

http://www.displayport.org/

Futute DP technologies will include hooking up multiple monitors with one cable (and obviously multiple DP connectors) and the aux channel will get faster.

No you will NOT see an adapter that takes your DVI signal and easily convert it to DP. DP uses a Micro Packet system that is wholly different than TMDS signaling. I'm not saying you won't see an adapter but if you do it'll be expensive.

This monitor is typical Apple. It's affordable and flexible with top notch materials but it's expensive compared to the market in general. It's not expensive if you compare its peers (other IPS LED based monitors)

I'd love for someone to create a 3rd party hood for it. Glossy screens are not as bad as some people make them out to be. Pro graphics monitors have always needed hoods to reduce the effects of relections and the color of the walls and the graphic artists clothes (they usually wear black) from affecting the perception of color on screen.

The addition of speakers and isight to me make sense. I need to be able to run a laptop closed yet still have access to better speakers and iSight. I think you're going to see some really clean looking setups with this monitor and Macbooks.

If I were in the UK there is no f'n way I'd buy this panel over the Hazro. Apple is banking on the Eco Friendly, LED backlit appeal to instant-on and naturally higher color gamut, but lower than this panel reality. They are targeting, as you said, a sweet spot in the market that is too expensive for the general consumer and doesn't offer enough for a large section of Professionals.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/search...=&search=hazro

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MO-002-HO

Hazro HZ24Wi 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black Aluminium

Click image to enlarge\t

£369.99 ex VAT

£434.74 inc VAT

Hazro has introduced 2 new models that are all H-IPS standard.

http://www.hazro.co.uk/products/products.html

[CENTER][/CENTER]
  • Reply 63 of 184
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How do you know that? The information on DisplayPort that I see seems to suggest DVI compatibility is optional, and Apple's spec page doesn't mention DVI compatibility, it would seem like an odd omission. If I wanted one, I wouldn't order it until compatibility has been confirmed.

I think it is just a reference to the last sentence in the second to last paragraph in the news article of this thread.
  • Reply 64 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Let's face it. Someone thought they could kill two birds with one stone on this design, by making the displays nearly identical to the iMac 24" in dimensions, thus the Camera and the speakers are the same.

I personally don't need speakers in my monitor, but for some damn reason the IT Industry thinks they know better and we must have them.

In this case, i like the AIO, but if you want to have your own speakers there are 3 USB ports in the monitor and the analog/optical audio out port on Macs.

Quote:

Having to buy these adaptors is a hidden toll fee and completely typical of Apple. I admire Steve but in this case he's f'n wrong. He was wrong with the Cube and he's wrong with this crap.

Having these adapters that you'll never use already included with the product and thus factored into the price is hidden fee. I'd much rather hayve to buy the single adapter I need than to have a multitude of adapters in boxes (like I used to) sitting around. Moving to DisplayPort is the best option out there and one that will probably be adopted by most other PC vendors and most likely outlast all other digital video interface standards that have come before it.
  • Reply 65 of 184
    hmurchison, thanks for the explanation.

Unfortunately, introduction of this display means that the price of the aluminium displays is not going to go down right now =( I had such high hopes it would happen
  • Reply 66 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drhamad View Post

I paid $1300 for my 23" Apple Cinema Display, to use with my MacBook. I could have gotten another brand (at the time) for like $800. It was worth every penny.

That's nice to know but I was thinking more with people opinions and comparisons by Today's standards and Today's recent update to the Apple Cinema Displays but I'm guessing we won't actually know until people start getting their hands on them. I was just seeing that it's starting to get the whole consumer "all in one" thing for a professional display and a professions price tag. What about users that want a display from Apple that's not for professional uses or for professionals that will want to buy one for an older machine or a PC that will have to buy adapters and don't really care about the whole speakers, iSight and mic options?
  • Reply 67 of 184
    Quote:

Having to buy these adaptors is a hidden toll fee and completely typical of Apple. I admire Steve but in this case he's f'n wrong. He was wrong with the Cube and he's wrong with this crap.

Couldn't agree more.

Apple has lost touch with the things that matter...USB *and* Firewire hub and perhaps IR + remote for the Mac Pro folks. iSight and speakers shouldn't be integrated in the monitor.

I really hope Apple has more displays coming soon, ones that are matte and not so overloaded with useless garbage.

A matte display with a more functional hub would sway me back towards an Apple display...add Front Row support and I'll buy the display right away.
  • Reply 68 of 184
    In every price discussion of Apple displays, there will always be a group of guys who bring up their horrible TN panels they got at a closeout sale with their miserable color shifting and narrow viewing angles and cheap casing and trumped up contrast ratios (that only consider the bright end) and falsified response times and on and on. But hey, it's LCD, and it's the same size!

Apple will always be a little more expensive than its technical equivalent -- I'll pay extra for fantastic design and integration anyday. That said, your credibility goes out the window when you compare an IPS LED to that ugly Sceptre you got at Costco. Sorry, folks, it's not an acceptable comparison.

At any rate, the price has not changed. And of course Apple will come out with an adapter for use with current Macs. Anyone who believes otherwise is just trying to stir the pot.

P.S. Well said, hmurchison.
  • Reply 69 of 184
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Looks amazing, im in for one

• Reply 70 of 184
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Cant wait for more new apple stuff

• Reply 71 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In this case, i like the AIO, but if you want to have your own speakers there are 3 USB ports in the monitor and the analog/optical audio out port on Macs.

Having these adapters that you'll never use already included with the product and thus factored into the price is hidden fee. I'd much rather hayve to buy the single adapter I need than to have a multitude of adapters in boxes (like I used to) sitting around. Moving to DisplayPort is the best option out there and one that will probably be adopted by most other PC vendors and most likely outlast all other digital video interface standards that have come before it.

What you're talking about is an ultra-niche market composed of about 8 people that would want to use their MacBooks with a display with a 2nd iSight and speakers because they absolutely want to use the screen and have the MacBook lid shut (which also means you'll be buying a keyboard and a mouse.)

It's a waste of resources, money, and does appeal to anyone (especially not since the world is heading for a recession or possibly a depression). Not even you.

Nobody in their right mind would or should buy this product.

This product is DOA. You can't use it with the Mac mini or Mac Pro yet, you can't (or can barely) use it with a PC. Most people buy a notebook computer because they aren't or don't want to be tied down to a desk. Ultra-niche. Ultra-dumb.

Apple needs to take the basic design of this display, remove all the retarded decisions such as built-in iSight and speakers, add options for a matte finish and make the hub more functional and market it to Mac mini, Mac Pro and PC users.
  • Reply 72 of 184
    Have you ever seen an ACER monitor?? They suck beyond belief. Specs or not... they suck.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Odd decision indeed. Considering the display only works with mini Display Port, it even alienates current Mac users, unless they get a converter. Alittle disappointing on the specs too... a 14ms response time? Thats incredibly slow and outdated. Combine that with only a 1000:1 CR and this puppy is waaaaay over priced. You can get FAR better performing "monitors" for less than half the $899 price, with way better specs, and with more inputs than just USB (very perplexing). Case in point: my 24" Acer HD monitor with 3000:1 CR and 2ms response time that was $330.

Ouch Apple.

• Reply 73 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by megatrick View Post

Have you ever seen an ACER monitor?? They suck beyond belief. Specs or not... they suck.

This display it way too over-featured and -priced for the "normal" user, which means just to surf the web...and not usable for a professional due to its glare surface. So who's left? May be all the investment bank bosses who got subsidised by our tax money.
  • Reply 74 of 184
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zauner View Post

I guess adding more ports for "the rest of us" would have been too expensive????

NO, we want to buy adapters

NO, we don't want to plug in our playstation 3 (HDMI)

And YES, we love glass-glare-surfaces at home. Fantastic.

Apple also says good-by to all professional users.

Good job, Mr. Jobs

Those adaptors are also £20 each but look at the dual-link DVI one: £69.

Old MBP owners could get a £10 or less DVI cable to hook up a high res display. For people who own a high res display and need to use projectors, this could set them back over £100.

You can't buy these connectors 3rd party because Mini-displayport isn't standard.

It's understandable that in bad economic times that they would try to make money on everything but there's a point beyond which you have to think that if you treat customers with more respect they will pay more instead of perhaps not buying anything for a while or going elsewhere.
  • Reply 75 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Apple has lost touch with the things that matter...USB *and* Firewire hub and perhaps IR + remote for the Mac Pro folks. iSight and speakers shouldn't be integrated in the monitor.

If you really want to have a separate USB hub & a separate FW hub & a separate mic & a separate camera & a separate IR receiver, with all their associated cables cluttering up your desktop you are more than welcome and there are plenty of vendors willing to accommodate you, but it seems that the pragmatic market has chosen simplicity over clutter.

You have to wonder why Apple's desktop market is growing faster than their notebook market. We know it's not the outdated Mac Mini or the mammoth Mac Pro; it's the AIO iMac. And don't forget that people have been asking for an Apple "docking station' for many a year. This solution not only makes it simple by combining 3 cables into one (including the power source), but also opens up Apple to the business sector for those that take their laptop home but use desktop peripherals at work. This is probably more common than you think.

Then you have the Mac Mini and Mac Pro who could use these new features of this new ACD and the larger ones to come.
  • Reply 76 of 184
    Quote:

Folks let's clear some things up.

This is a IPS panel which means it will not have the nasty colorshift of TN panels. When you see a 24" for $300 it's a TN panel folks. You wouldn't want to do graphics on it.

I guess this and another post are a direct reference to my own. I know full well that Apple's Cinema Display is an IPS rather than some TN panel; you don't need to pontificate the differences. Maybe the display has a leg up because it is LED and not CCFL, but lets face it the majority of casual users (your "folks") wouldn't recognize the difference, especially between the newest generation of CCFLs and the early generation of panel-quality LEDs. And that does not excuse the fact that 14ms and 1000:1 CR (if this is a glossy panel, then why isn't the CR higher?) is quite sub-standard today. Maybe 2 years ago these specs would have been impressive, sorry.

Quote:

You wouldn't want to do graphics on it.

That's great, but people use their laptops for more than just graphics. Maybe like movies and other multimedia? For a display that touts the word "Cinema," it sure hasn't lived up to it (yet).

My .02 cents
  • Reply 77 of 184
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

There is no guarantee it's an H-IPS panel. It's most likely an S-PVA panel.

True, but either is still better than TN.

Quote:

Let's face it. Someone thought they could kill two birds with one stone on this design, by making the displays nearly identical to the iMac 24" in dimensions, thus the Camera and the speakers are the same.

I personally don't need speakers in my monitor, but for some damn reason the IT Industry thinks they know better and we must have them.

This wreaks of making the All-in-One Video/Audio IM chatting being so important to people.

At least it doesn't change the look. A few features that a given user won't use really doesn't bother me. Having one model that covers everybody might cost the same as offering two models that reduces the economies of scale. The camera & mic on the notebook don't bother me either, even if I'll never use it. It's that issue about economies of scale that undercut an argument that it would be cheaper to offer a model without said feature.
  • Reply 78 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you really want to have a separate USB hub & a separate FW hub & a separate mic & a separate camera & a separate IR receiver, with all their associated cables cluttering up your desktop you are more than welcome and there are plenty of vendors willing to accommodate you, but it seems that the pragmatic market has chosen simplicity over clutter.

You have to wonder why Apple's desktop market is growing faster than their notebook market. We know it's not the outdated Mac Mini or the mammoth Mac Pro; it's the AIO iMac. And don't forget that people have been asking for an Apple "docking station' for many a year. This solution not only makes it simple by combining 3 cables into one (including the power source), but also opens up Apple to the business sector for those that take their laptop home but use desktop peripherals at work. This is probably more common than you think.

Don't put words into my mouth. I *don't* want any of those things. I want a monitor with nothing else but a few ports. Most people don't use the iSight and hardly anyone would enjoy the sound coming out of built-in speakers.

AIO is an ok concept to a certain extent. If the quality of the built-in peripherals don't match the quality of external peripherals then, I'm sorry but, they simply SHOULDN'T be in the product.

The idea of having to buying severely crippled peripherals when one already has higher quality ones is wasteful and idiotic. I have never budged on my claim that camera phones are a stupid waste. Nobody wants to see shitty quality pictures. Hell people with real cameras can't even take a clear picture of leaked Apple products...you think a camera phone is going to improve the world? Or a shitty built-in iSight in the LCD Display?

Even you can see that this product is totally niche. It's restricted to the Apple notebook base...then it's restricted to people that actually give a shit about plugging their notebook into a bigger display...and then it's restricted furthermore by people that have 899 dollars to blow on a pro-quality monitor with consumer-quality cameras and speakers in an economy that is faltering.

Who's going to buy this LCD Display? Certainly not the MacBook students that are always wishing for a cheaper Apple notebook. Certainly not the MacBook Air people that bought their slow, dumbed-down computer to have the best travel computer ever. A handful of MacBook Pro users *may* want this display.

Search your feelings, solipsism, you know it to be true.
  • Reply 79 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by megatrick View Post

Actually, I believe the question (properly) to you is, have you ever owned an Acer monitor? Much less a high-end one? No need replying if you haven't then. I own a 24" Acer P243WAid, and its quite a fine display, all truth be told.
  • Reply 80 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwervel16 View Post

In every price discussion of Apple displays, there will always be a group of guys who bring up their horrible TN panels they got at a closeout sale with their miserable color shifting and narrow viewing angles and cheap casing and trumped up contrast ratios (that only consider the bright end) and falsified response times and on and on. But hey, it's LCD, and it's the same size!

Apple will always be a little more expensive than its technical equivalent -- I'll pay extra for fantastic design and integration anyday. That said, your credibility goes out the window when you compare an IPS LED to that ugly Sceptre you got at Costco. Sorry, folks, it's not an acceptable comparison.

At any rate, the price has not changed. And of course Apple will come out with an adapter for use with current Macs. Anyone who believes otherwise is just trying to stir the pot.

P.S. Well said, hmurchison.

If you were referring to me, I am not quite sure at what point I said that I felt like I was falsified or even claimed that the screen of the same size that I had was even comparable or that either screen was either superior or inferior or even had the same features as each other, let alone the technology behind it. I was just simply asking and trying to find out the differences in the technology and whether it was worth the really big price differences to most average displays and especially if it is for the most average consumers or the non-professionals?