Apple unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display

Comments

• Reply 101 of 184
    Come on, you guys aren't serious and just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing...cut it out.

If you want an AIO, you get the iMac...if you want a notebook, you get the MacBooks...if you want a modular computer, you get a Mac Pro.

If you start integrating things into an external display, you're totally going against the idea of having external peripherals. The modular approach allows one to choose the peripherals he or she needs.

I'm going to pretend this display was created exclusively for notebook users. How hard could it be to modify the production plant to create an iSight-less, speakerless display? That should surely shave 100-150 from the display price.
  • Reply 102 of 184
    love the "dock" aspect of this...

the glossy, errr. might not be a problem, certainly not as big a problem as the macbook pro being glossy.

maybe with an aftermarket monitor hood this will be perfect...

hopefully someone will make a nice looking one, and not be too expensive.
  • Reply 103 of 184
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

I'm going to pretend this display was created exclusively for notebook users. How hard could it be to modify the production plant to create an iSight-less, speakerless display? That should surely shave 100-150 from the display price.

I don't think Apple is into the A la carte thing all that much. Yes they could have delivered a screen without the iSight, Magsafe, speakers and USB but then where's the value? Apple knows it's not going to compete on price so there has to be a bit more sizzle than what's being offered by the likes of LG, Samsung and NEC.

I'm a bit perplexed by the incredulity here. We all know Apple doesn't deliver a product unless they can hype a feature that their competitors don't have.

A 24" ACD and Macbook comprise a flexible system. Remove the extras from the ACD and you have just another monitor.

Graphics pros will be buying the likes of Lacie high end LCD, Eizo and NEC matte screens. Let's not fools ourselves into thinking that $900 buys state of the art LCD technology.
  • Reply 104 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Come on, you guys aren't serious and just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing...cut it out.

From my POV, it sounds like you are the one who is disagreeing with this new Apple product when you say things like integrated speakers and webcams are flaws that retarded 6 year old can see.

Quote:

If you want an AIO, you get the iMac...

Exactly!

Quote:

if you want a notebook, you get the MacBooks...

Agreed!

Quote:

if you want a modular computer, you get a Mac Pro.

True, again!

Quote:

If you start integrating things into an external display, you're totally going against the idea of having external peripherals. The modular approach allows one to choose the peripherals he or she needs.

As previously mentioned, this new ACD does not prevent you from getting other peripherals of your choice. Your argument is the same one people had about the iMac, despite it's rampant success. If you want to go fully modular, then this ACD is not for you. One size does not fit all!

Quote:

There is no reason to pretend. Jobs blatantly stated that the event was about notebooks. The lack of updates to any of their 3 desktop machines backs that up, and very obvious addition of a power pass-through cable with a MagSafe connector at the end clearly demonstrates what this ACD is designed for.
  • Reply 105 of 184
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

You aren't forced to buy an Apple Display. Its a totally voluntary purchase.

As far as peripherals......

• Reply 106 of 184
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I don't get this product.

$900 is a lot of money for a monitor to use with my MBP. Actually I can't use this with my MBP, AFAIK.

Even if I could I would probably just get a nice 24" Sammy monitor for half the cost. Sure it wouldn't have LED backlighting but I think I would get by just fine for half the cost.

What am I missing?
  • Reply 107 of 184
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

I never thought I'd see the day but I'm done with apple. I hate glass screens and if this is the only option they are going to give us then FUCK EM!

Yep.

My thoughts entirely...
  • Reply 108 of 184
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

$900 is a lot of money for a monitor to use with my MBP. Actually I can't use this with my MBP, AFAIK.

Even if I could I would probably just get a nice 24" Sammy monitor for half the cost. Sure it wouldn't have LED backlighting but I think I would get by just fine for half the cost.

What am I missing?

Stereo speakers. Three in one connection. 3 USB port hub built-in. iSight and mic. Gorgeous hardware. If I had a public office space I'd by them simply because the way they look would create a good impression to potential clients. Also, half the cost for the Sammy, where? And LED backlit is a big deal btw.

I love the way everyone is so pissed we didn't get matte screens. I'm a glossy guy
  • Reply 109 of 184
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    This product is called an LED Cinema Display.

It has a DisplayPort, and a MacBook charger.

If Apple introduce a 20" and a 30" further down the line, we already know they're going to sport the DisplayPort interface ? but will they sport the MacBook charger as well?

The MacBook charger is going to be useless for future Mac Pros.

I wonder if Apple is going to release an entirely new range of Cinema Displays, without the MacBook charger, and call them something other than 'Cinema Displays'...?
  • Reply 110 of 184
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lictor View Post

Who?

People who work in an office? Speaker use is usually forbidden, and rightly so. At work, what I need is not a speaker, it's a headset. And given the price tag of that monitor and its techology, the office is a prime target.

People who work at home and listen to music? Well, if I want to listen to music, I actually want to listen to music, not some distorbed and crushed noise. So, my computer is plugged to my home theater system and it's 5.0 speakers, and this has nothing to do with the pityful noise that comes out of built-in speakers. People who can't afford hifi just buy cheap external speakers - even $30 models are better than built-ins...

Gamers? Gamers don't do Mac anyway. And if they did, they would not buy a slowish IPS monitor anyway.

Really, I don't see who would have an actual use for that in the real world...

You confidently speak for a lot of people. We haven't even yet heard the sound quality of the speakers.
  • Reply 111 of 184
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

. Also, half the cost for the Sammy, where?

Here.

It doesn't have all the features that the new Apple display has but I probably wouldn't use them anyway. I would want a nice display at a reasonable price. The Sammy fits the bill nicely. YMMV.
  • Reply 112 of 184
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think it is just a reference to the last sentence in the second to last paragraph in the news article of this thread.

The problem is that those adapters referenced connect a VGA/DVI/HDMI display to the new DisplayPort output, not connecting a DisplayPort monitor to a DVI output.
  • Reply 113 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

During its special notebook Tuesday, Apple unveiled its new Cinema Display featuring a 24-inch LED-backlit widescreen display with built-in iSight video camera, mic, and speakers in a thin aluminum and glass enclosure.

For those of ranting and raving about this new product, I need to point out something obvious here.

If you go to the LED Cinema Display, it states in large letters "The first display made precisely for a MacBook"... Let me underscore a part of that sentence... "...made precisely for a MacBook"

Don't you think Apple will come out with other LED Cinema Displays made for a revised iMac, Mac mini and of course the Mac Pro in the near future?

If this first LED Cinema Display is specifically for the new MacBook and MacBook Pro, it's a great product! Just need to add a matte option to placate those who continue to argue about things like abortion, gun control, intelligent design, etc.

Methinks Jobs is just sitting back, arms crossed until we've all calmed down.

-YipYipYipee
  • Reply 114 of 184
    Quote:

What am I missing?

You're not missing anything...this display is made for 0.0001% of all computers users (ie late-2008 MacBook Pro users that are unsure if they actually wanted a desktop PC and a few nutty PC users that happen to have a DisplayPort card + adaptor).

My guess is that Apple will hit 200 displays sold by Christmas *next year*.
  • Reply 115 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You're not missing anything...this display is made for 0.0001% of all computers users (ie late-2008 MacBook Pro users that are unsure if they actually wanted a desktop PC and a few nutty PC users that happen to have a DisplayPort card + adaptor).

My guess is that Apple will hit 200 displays sold by Christmas *next year*.

If there are 1B computer users in the world then that is 100k potential buyers. That would be very low, but it find it funny that your hyperbolic statement meant it to seem even lower. As for your comments that only nutty people will use DisplayPort, I can't help buy wonder what future-forward video interface standard you expect the industry to adopt. Or is that you would like everyone to go back to VGA or some other archaic standard that lingers on PCs way too long.

If you read the info on DisplayPort you'll see why it's not only ideal for Apple, but for all vendors, and it will soon be adopted across the board. I bet you thought ExpressCard shouldn't have replaced PCMCIA, either.
    I understand that you aren't one to use a secondary display or like the idea of having components unified into one device (which would precludes you from liking notebooks in general), but to convince yourself that this DP ACD will only benefit 1/10,000th of computer users is completely irrational.
  • Reply 116 of 184
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Here.

It doesn't have all the features that the new Apple display has but I probably wouldn't use them anyway. I would want a nice display at a reasonable price. The Sammy fits the bill nicely. YMMV.

I am considering this one:

Here

If it had a VESA mount (that general style from Samsung doesn't), I would be more serious about it because some of my alternate uses could really use that.
  • Reply 117 of 184
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I like the integrated speakers - separate speakers clutter your desk and a lot of the brands look tacky. I wonder if they used any of the technology from that boombox they sold for a while and then discontinued.
  • Reply 118 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Odd decision indeed. Considering the display only works with mini Display Port, it even alienates current Mac users, unless they get a converter. Alittle disappointing on the specs too... a 14ms response time? Thats incredibly slow and outdated. Combine that with only a 1000:1 CR and this puppy is waaaaay over priced. You can get FAR better performing "monitors" for less than half the $899 price, with way better specs, and with more inputs than just USB (very perplexing). Case in point: my 24" Acer HD monitor with 3000:1 CR and 2ms response time that was $330.

Ouch Apple.

but your Acer is not an LED monitor thus has a reduced color bandwith, and remember the CRatio of a 100$ CRT is infinite.... I personnaly bought a 4000? JVC DT24-L3D it has no led but this grading monitor has HD-SDI in&out...
  • Reply 119 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If there are 1B computer users in the world then that is 100k potential buyers. That would be very low, but it find it funny that your hyperbolic statement meant it to seem even lower. As for your comments that only nutty people will use DisplayPort, I can't help buy wonder what future-forward video interface standard you expect the industry to adopt. Or is that you would like everyone to go back to VGA or some other archaic standard that lingers on PCs way too long.

If you read the info on DisplayPort you'll see why it's not only ideal for Apple, but for all vendors, and it will soon be adopted across the board. I bet you thought ExpressCard shouldn't have replaced PCMCIA, either.
    I understand that you aren't one to use a secondary display or like the idea of having components unified into one device (which would precludes you from liking notebooks in general), but to convince yourself that this DP ACD will only benefit 1/10,000th of computer users is completely irrational.

I did not say that nutty people will use DisplayPort. English must not be your forte.

I do enjoy how you try to bend my words and make it look like I'm saying something completely different. Although it is blatantly obvious.

Judging by your last post, it seems as though you long to see parallel ports on a Mac and the ADB port be brought back from the dead. But you're not forward thinking. These ports are grossly inadequate in throughput for today's needs and can't power devices plugged into them.

ADB

Parallel port

I understand that you cherish these ports, but to convince yourself that these ports are important in 2008 is completely irrational.

edit: this is your first warning Solipsism. If you keep this up this game of twisting my words, I will twist your words also.
  • Reply 120 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I am considering this one:

Here

If it had a VESA mount (that general style doesn't), I would be more serious about it because some of my alternate uses could really use that.

This is the one that I just bought this past week:-

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...88&catid=25616

It currently has $80 off of it if there are any Canadian users here interested. So far I'm pretty impressed, I know it's not LED backlit or up to the standards off the new Apple Cinema Displays but it fits me and my needs perfectly and for a decent price. It has speakers built in, which are awful and I wasn't really interested in them but in this case, to have it with the built in speakers was actually cheaper than the alternative Samsung 24 inch model that I saw because of the sale so it didn't matter to me. Why does Apple and everyone else here think that we, well, all of us Apple users are professional users only or if not, the kind of people that can afford to spend $1000 on a display? I guess I wouldn't be so annoyed if it wasn't for the fact that I had been waiting almost 5 years for a decent update or even any update really to the Apple Cinema Display line.