A closer look at Apple's move to NVIDIA chipsets, DisplayPort

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

And a separate cable for audio, of course. Put that optical-out to good use.

I'm not sure I'm liking the sound of this. So I have to get a DVI adapter, a DVI cable, and a digital audio cable to connect to my HDTV? I thought Macs were supposed to be simple. I guess I could always transfer the files over to my VAIO Z, but apple is really missing the boat here. How many people care about running a 30inch Apple Display? A couple thousand vs. the millions with HDTVs with HDMI.
  • Reply 22 of 76
    Since Apple mostly adopt standards early it won't surprise me sometime this fall or early next year HDTV with "Mini Display Port" will start to show up in bigger numbers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by c3fcc View Post

I'm not sure I'm liking the sound of this. So I have to get a DVI adapter, a DVI cable, and a digital audio cable to connect to my HDTV? I thought Macs were supposed to be simple. I guess I could always transfer the files over to my VAIO Z, but apple is really missing the boat here. How many people care about running a 30inch Apple Display? A couple thousand vs. the millions with HDTVs with HDMI.

• Reply 23 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I can't wait till this NVIDIA chipset and DisplayPort trickles down to the Mac mini.

Hopefully they will finally include the option for some type of secondary display output.

And hopefully they will kill the stupid ComboDrive.

I looked at the specs of the new Macbooks (including the "new" $999 old white Macbook) and unless I saw wrong, the Combo Drive is indeed finally dead.
  • Reply 24 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DX-OmniGeno View Post

I looked at the specs of the new Macbooks (including the "new" $999 old white Macbook) and unless I saw wrong, the Combo Drive is indeed finally dead.

The $599 Mac mini is still burdened with a combo drive. Not quite dead yet.
  • Reply 25 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

The $599 Mac mini is still burdened with a combo drive. Not quite dead yet.

Ahh, quite right. I forgot about the poor Mac Mini.
  • Reply 26 of 76
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Sony, not Alienware. They used Intel integrated graphics and a discrete NVIDIA graphics card on their SZ series. The other difference was the physical switch used to toggle between the discrete and the integrated card. And, if I remember correctly, it induced a second long screen blackout. So, Apples and NVIDIAs solution is doubtlessly more elegant, but it's not a first.

Edit: Reading the new thread, the solution actually isn't very elegant. Major disappointment.

/Adrian

But I did like the way that you assumed that Apple would have the more elegant solution without even checking first ...

Still, the Apple solution may not be the most elegant, but it is the safest. Forcing the user to log out makes sure that they will not lose any information in the switch. I guess it will become seamless in both camps when the technology improves.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YipYipYipee View Post

I'm afraid we can't join this particular LED Cinema Display club. This product is precisely for the new generation of notebook products. Not us "old school" folks.

Seriously, if this new display is only for the new notebooks, I think it's brilliant! Indeed, if I were to buy a new MB or MBP it fulfills my need for an uncluttered desktop! Only thing is I Just wish they'd address the glossy/matte issue.

-YipYipYipee

Or for all of their upcoming desktops.

As they said Tuesday, this port will be on all of their computers.
  • Reply 28 of 76
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

But I did like the way that you assumed that Apple would have the more elegant solution without even checking first ...

Still, the Apple solution may not be the most elegant, but it is the safest. Forcing the user to log out makes sure that they will not lose any information in the switch. I guess it will become seamless in both camps when the technology improves.

To complete this: I own a Sony SZ with integrated graphics and separate graphics card and in order to switch between one or the other it is necessary to reboot the machine after moving the physical toggle switch. While I initially thought it a brilliant idea it is more of a pain in the neck and consequently I rarely use the integrated (energy savings) mode, unless I know I will be sitting on a plane for a while without power connection. It is also disappointing as to how seemingly insignificant power usage differences are.

A different question: Will there be a revised 17 inch Macbook Pro? Seems like Apple is really streamlining their notebook offerings (pro and consumer line definitions are blurring with the cases now all being aesthetically closely related)?
  • Reply 29 of 76
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The relatively new DisplayPort standard (now being adopted by a number of PC makers) is backwardly compatible with VGA, DVI, and dual-link DVI displays.

Apple may be using the DisplayPort electrical signals, but the Mini connector itself could still be a proprietary Apple design like the Mini DVI and Micro DVI. The displayport.org web site seems to provide no information on Mini DisplayPort, further increasing the likelihood that Mini DisplayPort is an Apple-only connector, and that adapters will only be available from Apple.

How can they claim to follow industry standards if they still stick on their own proprietary connector?
  • Reply 30 of 76
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

Since Apple mostly adopt standards early it won't surprise me sometime this fall or early next year HDTV with "Mini Display Port" will start to show up in bigger numbers.

Assuming "Mini" DisplayPort even is a standard.
  • Reply 31 of 76
    I wonder - and I'm bracing myself to being proved an idiot - whether, if dvi to displayport adaptors are a problem, someone could provide a display port adaptor made for the expresscard slot for those of us with older versions of the macbook pro?
  • Reply 32 of 76
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

I trusted plokoonpmas word. I'm terribly sorry if that shows a lack of character on my part. It's still arguably more elegant than having a physical switch on the computer, at least from a aestethic standpoint, if not an engineering standpoint.

/Adrian
  • Reply 33 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

The mini port is less than half the size of the regular port, still not sure why the size reduction is so critical...

So that people can't use normal third party DisplayPort to HDMI/DVI adapters, and Apple can make money selling their own.

Hoping to see third party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cables very soon!
  • Reply 34 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

I totally agree with c3fcc. I am so disappointed that all the new macbooks have no HDMI ports. All my 3 HDTV sets are 1080p. To have computer with a build-in HDMI port just makes connecting to these TVs so much easier. I am pretty certain anyone here says you don't need hdmi to connect to TVs doesn't use the HDTV as computer display very often especially in the case of having a portable device such as a laptop to connect any TVs in the house. Apple may be adopting standard early, but it doesn't make sense that 90% HDTVs on the market have HDMI and none of them have this "mini display port".
  • Reply 35 of 76
    Will they realy put a mini port on the full size mac pro video card?

Or 2 full sized one + with 2 shiping full to mini and full to dvi cables.

You can't ship a desktop with a new port and they make to pay $30+ to be able to use your old display.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    The ironic thing here is that the one adaptor that Mini display port doesn't have is to display port.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,751member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c3fcc View Post

I wonder if there are more people using laptops in combination with HDMI-based TVs, or in combination with DVI-based computer monitors?

I'm personally in the 2nd group -- as are most of the people I know. Not too many people using a laptop in a work environment would have a TV on their desk. It's only when they take their laptop home where they'd likely use a TV, but that's not the majority of the time.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,751member
    One other thing to consider is that Apple is biased towards the movement to watching TV/movies on a computer rather than on a TV (i.e. entertainment is computer-centric as opposed to TV-centric). So from that standpoint, it's easy to understand why supporting TV technology (HDMI) isn't a high priority with them.

Not to mention they'd prefer people buy an Apple TV box for their TV. That's essentially their answer to the question: why isn't it simple to use a Mac with a TV?
  • Reply 39 of 76
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rasmoose View Post

So that people can't use normal third party DisplayPort to HDMI/DVI adapters, and Apple can make money selling their own.

Hoping to see third party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cables very soon!

Typical Apple

• Reply 40 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I wonder if there are more people using laptops in combination with HDMI-based TVs, or in combination with DVI-based computer monitors?

I'm personally in the 2nd group -- as are most of the people I know. Not too many people using a laptop in a work environment would have a TV on their desk. It's only when they take their laptop home where they'd likely use a TV, but that's not the majority of the time.

Of course people using laptops in a work environment don't need hdmi. But at home, especially using macbooks as multimedia device, having hdmi would be really nice such as surf youtube and share with whole family on a HDTV.