A closer look at Apple's move to NVIDIA chipsets, DisplayPort

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    I noticed on Apple's website that the 17" Macbook Pro has theNVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB and the 15" has the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB. What's the difference? I use my laptop for my FCP edit and need any boost in performance I can get so I'm wondering should I forego the 17" screen for the more "robust" GFX performance in the 15"?
  • Reply 42 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

The mini port is less than half the size of the regular port, still not sure why the size reduction is so critical...

Simply because there is no room for the full connector on any of the laptops. It's just way too big for the Macbook Air, and the "empty" space with no connectors on the other notebooks is where the battery and hard drive are. I think more people will prefer the easy access to the hard drive, battery, and RAM this time around more than having a full size DisplayPort.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kexicao View Post

Of course people using laptops in a work environment don't need hdmi. But at home, especially using macbooks as multimedia device, having hdmi would be really nice such as surf youtube and share with whole family on a HDTV.

Sure, surf youtube (resolution 320x240) and share with whole family on a HDTV (720P, and the hardcore would use 1080P).
  • Reply 44 of 76
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kexicao View Post

Of course people using laptops in a work environment don't need hdmi. But at home, especially using macbooks as multimedia device, having hdmi would be really nice such as surf youtube and share with whole family on a HDTV.

So that's the big question: are more people using laptops for displaying things on a TV screen, or on a computer monitor?

In an ideal world, you'd be able to do both comfortably -- but whether people like it or not, there's a war going on over who will control the next generation of entertainment. And the companies with large stakes in this war are trying to force consumers to choose one side or the other by making it difficult for them to use both computers and TV/cable box technology at the same time.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    One issue I haven't seen addressed... will the addition of DisplayPort allow (DisplayPort-enabled) Blu Ray DVD players to be connected to the new 24" Cinema Display? The display has speakers (a first for the Cinemas) so it could act as a basic, 1080p HDTV.

And does the move to DisplayPort set up Apple devices to be compatible with Blu Ray's content protection requirements... so maybe Snow Leopard will complete the Blu Ray licensing circle?

I don't know a lot about HDMI/DisplayPort/Blu Ray, but from what I've been reading, it seems like DisplayPort moves Apple closer to Blu Ray integration.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    For another box on the shelf right next to the other boxes marked "Apple Display Adapters"
  • Reply 47 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

So that's the big question: are more people using laptops for displaying things on a TV screen, or on a computer monitor?

Many are using a notebook plugged into an LCD projector to give presentations.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    The Mini DisplayPort connector is an active proposal within VESA. It is one

of many new features being proposed for DisplayPort 1.2. (I called Bill, a big wig at the displayport.org group)
  • Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

Apple will release bigger displays when manufacturing comply with its specifications.

By now bigger LED panels are or too expensive or can't deliver the quantities needed for fill orders to other/all Brands (Dell, HP, Viewsonic, Apple, etc)

But hopefully that will change next year

That's a load of crap. Did you just grab that from the same statements made for the past 5 years or what?
  • Reply 50 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bokuwaomar View Post

Simply because there is no room for the full connector on any of the laptops. It's just way too big for the Macbook Air, and the "empty" space with no connectors on the other notebooks is where the battery and hard drive are. I think more people will prefer the easy access to the hard drive, battery, and RAM this time around more than having a full size DisplayPort.

Just too big? Sure is when you taper the hell out of the bottom and cram stuff closer because someone later in life has a new found obsession of thinness. This was never an obsession from a certain person back when style was never compromised at NeXT.

It's truly sad.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Just too big? Sure is when you taper the hell out of the bottom and cram stuff closer because someone later in life has a new found obsession of thinness. This was never an obsession from a certain person back when style was never compromised at NeXT.

It's truly sad.

Well look around. The entire notebook market is moving to smaller or thinner. Why use a bigger port if a smaller one will do the same job. Apple won't be the only one using the mini ports.

Using the mini port allows the customer to use the same size connectors across all computers.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

For another box on the shelf right next to the other boxes marked "Apple Display Adapters"

lol. Tell me about it. I've got storage boxes full of old adapters, cords, and other bygone accessories... gotta clean out those closets.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:

Simply because there is no room for the full connector on any of the laptops. ... I think more people will prefer the easy access to the hard drive, battery, and RAM this time around more than having a full size DisplayPort.

Full size DisplayPort is roughly the same size as USB or HDMI. "Any of the laptops" is an overstatement.

Apple engineers chose between a mini-displayport or "easy access to the hard drive, battery, and RAM?" That's not plausible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Well look around. The entire notebook market is moving to smaller or thinner. Why use a bigger port if a smaller one will do the same job. Apple won't be the only one using the mini ports.

Using the mini port allows the customer to use the same size connectors across all computers.

Technically, the mini port does the same job. Practically, it's a trade off. As far as I know, this port is Apple's own. What happens from here on out is pure speculation.

Edit: Just read dstranathan post. I retract my last 2 sentences
  • Reply 54 of 76
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

The Mini DisplayPort connector is an active proposal within VESA. It is one

of many new features being proposed for DisplayPort 1.2. (I called Bill, a big wig at the displayport.org group)

Can you provide specific links to confirm this? I for one, am disgusted by Apple's constant obsession with making proprietary display connectors for which only they sell adapters. Sort of like Microsoft's "embrace, extend" policy towards open internet standards.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Can you provide specific links to confirm this? I for one, am disgusted by Apple's constant obsession with making proprietary display connectors for which only they sell adapters. Sort of like Microsoft's "embrace, extend" policy towards open internet standards.

No link, but you can email him:

Bill Lempesis: bill at vesa dot org
  • Reply 56 of 76
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Full size DisplayPort is roughly the same size as USB or HDMI. "Any of the laptops" is an overstatement.

Apple engineers chose between a mini-displayport or "easy access to the hard drive, battery, and RAM?" That's not plausible.

Sure the full size port could have been there, but only at the expense of something else. Enough people are complaining about the lack of firewire and a third USB port, so replacing one of the existing ports wouldn't have worked. Also, if you look at the internals of the notebook, the only way to create enough room on the sides for more/larger ports is to move the battery, hard drive, and RAM away from the edges of the notebook. Their current position allows for easy access. If they were in the middle again, there would either have to be a bunch of doors on the bottom for easy access (not apple like) or we'd have to remove the bottom like before. The current solution is likely the most elegant and the compromises aren't too bad. The world isn't going to end because Apple notebooks use mini-DisplayPort.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Sure the full size port could have been there, but only at the expense of something else. Enough people are complaining about the lack of firewire and a third USB port, so replacing one of the existing ports wouldn't have worked. Also, if you look at the internals of the notebook, the only way to create enough room on the sides for more/larger ports is to move the battery, hard drive, and RAM away from the edges of the notebook. Their current position allows for easy access. If they were in the middle again, there would either have to be a bunch of doors on the bottom for easy access (not apple like) or we'd have to remove the bottom like before. The current solution is likely the most elegant and the compromises aren't too bad. The world isn't going to end because Apple notebooks use mini-DisplayPort.

Ease of access doesn't matter. Why should Apple make things easier to access? Who in the world needs to take out a laptop hard drive or battery?

Making the hard drive easier to access would make the case weaker, so Apple would have to make the laptop thicker.

There will be no video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple will not make cell phones.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

In the past, NVidia's OS X drivers haven't been that great. The current Mac Pro has a choice of ATI 7600 or Geforce 8800 and the 7600 was faster at CoreImage (LOL), and even after driver improvements came along it was only about equal. So those drivers still have a ways to go.

Not to overestimate what Apple is doing with Nvidia, but in light of Snow Leopard I would be highly surprised if Apple would leave writing the optimized MBP drivers just up to them.

Call me an optimist, but I actually expect solid drivers, including Hybrid SLI.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post

Not to overestimate what Apple is doing with Nvidia, but in light of Snow Leopard I would be highly surprised if Apple would leave writing the optimized MBP drivers just up to them.

Call me an optimist, but I actually expect solid drivers, including Hybrid SLI.

No Hybrid SLI. Apple is using only the power-saving features.