Good News and Bad News: Help?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    I agree.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    SDW never never let slip the word "bridezilla" in front of her. She's not japanese is she?

Or white trash?

• Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Essentially, his finance is "a wreck" about this already, and we've "already taken something away from their wedding." Wow.

My finance spoke to his, and while it was a reasonable conversation, it's clear that his finance is absolutely out of her mind with this wedding thing (see her comments above).

Blame Clinton.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Well, "accommodating" is one thing. Not getting married anytime next year is not what I'd call accommodating. That's more like "let's cater to the princess bridezilla and give her anything she wants."

If it's no big deal to either of you, then sneak off to Vegas and do it right. Or get hitched at the JP on your lunch hour.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

If it's no big deal to either of you, then sneak off to Vegas and do it right. Or get hitched at the JP on your lunch hour.

Nice. We've thought of it, actually. That said, I shouldn't say it's no big deal. She's a little younger and has never been married. Her family would flip. I think we've got it nailed down to April 4th now. That gives over 4 months for BRIDEZILLA to calm down and have the spotlight to herself.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Blame Clinton.

Dude...I can't believe I did that. Thanks...haha.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

SDW never never let slip the word "bridezilla" in front of her. She's not japanese is she?

Or white trash?

No, she's a nice girl. But she is 100% white bread. Her last name is even White. And, there is previous wedding drama in her family. There was some issue last year with her sister's wedding and the bridesmaid choices or maid of honor choices or something. I don't know. As a man, I hear the word "bridesmaid," and this happens:

<simpsons>

Quote:

Brain: "Lets get out of here"

SDW: (whining) I caaan't..."

Brain: "Well, you can stay if you want to, I'm leaving!" (floats away)

</simpsons>

So yeah...nice girl, but she has clearly transformed into that of which we will not speak.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    You can have my planned wedding...

Get married in Malta. They speak english, the marriage is binding, there are companies that can get you into a castle if you like. Invite your parents, her parents, best man and maid/matron of honor.

The total cost was less than for a full up wedding with lots of guests (even with the pamper the hell out of the bride package I added). And it's romantic as hell and more memorable than a traditional wedding.

Hit Italy for honeymoon. Or a Med cruise. Come back and just have a few parties for families and friends.

We didn't manage to do this but I plan on taking her on this for our 10 year. We did a quickie justice of the peace followed by crusing up the california coast for the honeymoon.

We still had the parties for friends after.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Oh the beauty of this plan is multifold:

1) you can claim you bent over backwards by having your wedding in a freaking different country well away hers.

2) you can not invite them since it's so far away

3) you turn her green with envy since you got married in a freaking different country in a freaking castle.

4) its worth an assload of brownie points for being so romantic EVEN if you fail to execute as I did. I'm sure it's worth a double assload of brownie points if you DO execute.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    There's always Gretna Green?if she's 16.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I don't know what you should do, but I feel bad for your brother.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Oh the beauty of this plan is multifold:

1) you can claim you bent over backwards by having your wedding in a freaking different country well away hers.

2) you can not invite them since it's so far away

3) you turn her green with envy since you got married in a freaking different country in a freaking castle.

4) its worth an assload of brownie points for being so romantic EVEN if you fail to execute as I did. I'm sure it's worth a double assload of brownie points if you DO execute.

I like it. However..

1) It would translate into "they are trying to outdo us!"

2) Not an option.

3) Ding ding ding ding! Winner!

4) Not with my bride to be. I mean, she'd like it I'm sure, but it wouldn't be like that. She might even say..."this castle is so GAY!"
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:

..."this castle is so GAY!"

Are you being serious? I hope not.

If so, she is either incredibly homophobic, or incredibly childish.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Are you being serious? I hope not.

If so, she is either incredibly homophobic, or incredibly childish.

or she has a sense of humor. \
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:

I like it. However..

1) It would translate into "they are trying to outdo us!"

Yes, but plausible deniability is everything.

Quote:

2) Not an option.

Or invite and assume they wont come because of the expense.

Quote:

3) Ding ding ding ding! Winner!

Of course...she's dicking with YOUR wedding you know.

Quote:

4) Not with my bride to be. I mean, she'd like it I'm sure, but it wouldn't be like that. She might even say..."this castle is so GAY!"

No, GAY is you dressing in tights and medieval garb for the occasion...and I say that as a former scadian.

The nice thing for eloping like this is that you still get a "wedding" but all you need to do is show up. I guess that's a minus for some women. It's a lot less stress than a full up wedding at home.

Pics:

http://www.weddingsbygovi.com/services.htm
  • Reply 36 of 42
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I say that as a former scadian.

Which one is you?

• Reply 37 of 42
    It cracks me up that you never see SCA people dressing up as peasants and only pointing and grunting instead of speaking.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

It cracks me up that you never see SCA people dressing up as peasants and only pointing and grunting instead of speaking.

Sort of like people into past life regressions and reincarnation never seem to have lived brief, anonymous lives of grinding poverty.

Runs against the odds, don't it?
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Sort of like people into past life regressions and reincarnation never seem to have lived brief, anonymous lives of grinding poverty.

Runs against the odds, don't it?

It does, a bit, dunnit? I mean, when I did my past-life regression, I found out that my most recent life was in the 1930s. I worked in the mail room of an insurance agency in Des Moines for 35 years, married an unremarkable woman, took up golf, and never once got into a sword fight.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

It does, a bit, dunnit? I mean, when I did my past-life regression, I found out that my most recent life was in the 1930s. I worked in the mail room of an insurance agency in Des Moines for 35 years, married an unremarkable woman, took up golf, and never once got into a sword fight.

Uncle Carl? Is that you?