AT&T chief lays out futuristic vision for the iPhone

1246

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by offroadering View Post


    WTF? Some people could care less if u have an ipone, they just want to send a pic... just like they send a pic to all the other PHONE NUMBERS.



    MMS and email... 2 entirely different things here.



    But that still doesn't get around the fact that email is the better one here. A good contact manager should be able to associate a phone number and an email address to a person, so you send a picture to a person, not a phone number.
  • Reply 62 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    It won't do MMS, but it can handle pictures sent by email. Why can't your relatives' phones send pictures using email? Sending email isn't something that's hard to program a device to do, it's more flexible.



    Exactly. Why is it that people don't understand that MMS is just dumbed down email with picture attachments (a.k.a text messaging with an extension to enable embedding a picture). It was invented because, at the time, most cell phones did not have decent email clients that displayed emails properly. Just send emails instead of embracing less capable technology. Do the people still using MMS not have email addresses in this day and age?
  • Reply 63 of 101
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 277member
    Here's what I want for the future iPhone:



    1. Buttons -- I think they need to add two physical buttons. Those buttons could be used for copy/paste, games, and any other situations where you just want a button. These buttons should have a screen behind them so they show what they do. For example, when in email they could show a copy/paste button and a text selection button. In a game, they could be a picture of a gun and a powerup. In other applications, they might be a settings change button. In an application for remote control of a computer, it would allow easier control by giving specialized buttons for functions like mouse clicks and text selection.



    2. Network functionality. 1. I want the ability to automatically log-on to wireless access points that have a splash screen. 2. I would also like those PUSH updates for news feeds and IM applications. 3. The ability to print directly from the iPhone if you're reading a webpage or if you have a business or other application that has reports. 3. I want to connect with other iPhones/iPods in the room to share pictures, links, or files. (I also think that you should be able to sync files < some limit.)



    3. Speed/power/memory. The next iPhone needs more speed and working memory. This would help games, utilities, and business applications. For example, CameraBag could be a great application, but it's so slow and crashy because it has neither the speed nor the memory to process the pictures quickly. Same thing with a lot of games. Same thing with GoCalc, which makes complex computations on the fly. Also, with enough of a speed boost, it might actually have the ability to play flash on a website without being miserably slow and crashy (from too much memory needed). Also, this would allow for more background applications, which would improve the iPhone's utility.



    4. Better components. The tilt sensor on my iPhone isn't exactly right, which makes the level applications not work. Also, with a better mic, they could make an accurate decibel meter. A better camera would make it a camera replacement for more people and improve accuracy of programs like RulerPhone. Obviously, more battery capacity would be welcome. Having more accurate sensors would allow developers to make even more creative and useful applications and even games.
  • Reply 64 of 101
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DWS-2 View Post


    Here's what I want for the future iPhone:



    1. Buttons -- I think they need to add two physical buttons. Those buttons could be used for copy/paste, games, and any other situations where you just want a button. These buttons should have a screen behind them so they show what they do. For example, when in email they could show a copy/paste button and a text selection button. In a game, they could be a picture of a gun and a powerup. In other applications, they might be a settings change button. In an application for remote control of a computer, it would allow easier control by giving specialized buttons for functions like mouse clicks and text selection.



    I hope U B kiddin' me. It reminds me of Homer's car. (The one he designed for his brother) Can someone please do a PS mock up?
  • Reply 65 of 101
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    And here, we always thought you were bitter.



    Not today, my brand new iPod Touch just arrived today from China.

    Ordered election night- how fast was that to NYC?
  • Reply 66 of 101
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post


    Weak.



    Good for you. Now will you please stop complaining about your AppleTV. We've heard it all

    from you.

    More potential for the AppleTV may still be realized. Even you admitted that the last firmware update improved it.

    Also consider that some iPhone users, who are complaining about

    lacking features on their iPhones, also made their purchases based

    partially upon the potential of the device. Your statement that you

    cannot understand why they bought an iPhone that didn't do everything

    they wanted in the first place is unjustifiably condescending. Their

    complaints are equivalent to your AppleTV complaints.

    I believe I have understood you perfectly all along.



    Weak? Your coffee must be weak.

    You brought up AppleTV today not me (which was totally irrelevant to this thread) and now you're asking me to stop mentioning it?



    The iPhone's potential was to get MMS pix? You're crazy- why would anyone even think that? It was mentioned by Steve himself that it wasn't for the iPhone- email alone was .

    Your analogy is completely flawed. If someone bought an iPhone why would they think that might eventually occur?

    On another note my new iPod Touch just arrived and I can't wait to unbox it. One more hour.
  • Reply 67 of 101
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    Actually, sending a picture "by telephone" is kind of a 20th century thing isn't it?



    NO- but having a phone that drops calls is.
  • Reply 68 of 101
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Weak? Your coffee must be weak.



    Yes, accusing someone of being a bitter koolaid drinker is an extraordinarily weak argument.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    You brought up AppleTV today not me (which was totally irrelevant to this thread) and now you're asking me to stop mentioning it?



    Not exactly. I am not asking you to stop mentioning AppleTV. I am asking you to stop

    repeating the same moaning about your dissatisfaction with it. I am also asking you not to

    express astonishment when other posters write that they want more features for some

    other product. The only difference between you and them is the number of times the

    complaints are repeated.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    The iPhone's potential was to get MMS pix?



    I didn't say this, but I think many people hoped that MMS and many other features would

    be added for the iPhone at some point.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    You're crazy- why would anyone even think that? It was mentioned by Steve himself that it wasn't for the iPhone- email alone was .

    Your analogy is completely flawed. If someone bought an iPhone why would they think that might eventually occur?



    It is your straw man and I feel no obligation to explain it, however,

    from what I have read on AI and MR, people would think that because that feature is

    available in many other phones. It seems that you will take Steve's word at face value

    when it suits your disingenuous pose. Other times, you try to dismiss Steve's word one

    way or another.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    On another note my new iPod Touch just arrived and I can't wait to unbox it. One more hour.



    I'm sure everyone is happy for you and hopes it lives up to your wishes.
  • Reply 69 of 101
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwarf420 View Post


    Exactly. Why is it that people don't understand that MMS is just dumbed down email with picture attachments (a.k.a text messaging with an extension to enable embedding a picture). It was invented because, at the time, most cell phones did not have decent email clients that displayed emails properly. Just send emails instead of embracing less capable technology. Do the people still using MMS not have email addresses in this day and age?



    Who cares if email is better? The rest of the world is using MMS



    And if you want to talk about which one is better, I would rather use MMS than email. Way too many spam. I DON'T want to go through 90 spam to find one good email, or one good email getting dumped by the spam filter. Email is the least reliable way of communication these days.
  • Reply 70 of 101
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post


    Who cares if email is better? The rest of the world is using MMS



    Who cares if the Mac is better? The rest of the world is using Windows.



    Quote:

    And if you want to talk about which one is better, I would rather use MMS than email. Way too many spam. I DON'T want to go through 90 spam to find one good email, or one good email getting dumped by the spam filter. Email is the least reliable way of communication these days.



    I find that to be completely the opposite. SMS/MMS are closed environments - the data is kept hostage by the phone companies. If I get a pic via MMS, it's on my phone. Great. I can't move it to my desktop to use it there, or send it along via email. I can't use it in a presentation, or run it through Photoshop. It just sits there on my phone. Yay.



    SMS and MMS can't die off soon enough, for my tastes. They're a scam.



    Here's what I've done in the past few days that I've had an iPhone: for each person who I think I might text with that don't have email on their phone (all 3 of them), I ask them who their cell provider is. I look up their provider's email gateway at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateway. I make an email address for them that is their-phone-number@their-gateway. I send them an email. They save it. Anytime they want to text me, they respond to that saved txtmsg. Done. I can send to them, they can send to me. Anything they send to me, I have full access to on all my other devices. Alternately, I can send them anything from my other computers and devices.



    I enter one email address, and I'm done. That's all there is to it. And I don't pay a dime for it.
  • Reply 71 of 101
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post


    I find that to be completely the opposite. SMS/MMS are closed environments - the data is kept hostage by the phone companies. If I get a pic via MMS, it's on my phone. Great. I can't move it to my desktop to use it there, or send it along via email. I can't use it in a presentation, or run it through Photoshop. It just sits there on my phone. Yay.



    You're kidding- aren't you? You can send any MMS pic to your Mac wirelessly via bluetooth. Or if need be -email it to your own address. I'm so sorry your so misinformed.
  • Reply 72 of 101
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    You're kidding- aren't you? You can send any MMS pic to your Mac wirelessly via bluetooth. Or if need be -email it to your own address. I'm so sorry your so misinformed.



    Email and MMS serve two different functions. In the sense that if you are meeting someone somewhere down town it is more instant to text. No need to save anything.



    MMS is a much more transient thing. More like 'look at this' - then its forgotten. Can be very handy like when I wanted to buy my wife a pair of shoes - snap... do you like these? Yes? OK I'll buy them. No need to mess around with attachments. I guess its a matter of preference. Kickaha's solution is neat but in Europe texting and MMS ing is much used. Not just by teens, corporately, too.
  • Reply 73 of 101
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    [QUOTE=quinney;1337376]
    Quote:

    Yes, accusing someone of being a bitter koolaid drinker is an extraordinarily weak argument.



    Oh and all this time I thought you meant my reasons for not likeing AppleTV were weak- my apologies. \





    Quote:

    Not exactly. I am not asking you to stop mentioning AppleTV. I am asking you to stop

    repeating the same moaning about your dissatisfaction with it. I am also asking you not to

    express astonishment when other posters write that they want more features for some

    other product. The only difference between you and them is the number of times the

    complaints are repeated



    .

    Again - you mentioned my dissatisfaction with AppleTV not me! And you either don't understand or refuse my reasons - whatever. And I will continue to express astonishment with anybody who doesn't do their homework before shelling out $$ and then express dismay it lacks something.



    Quote:

    I didn't say this, but I think many people hoped that MMS and many other features would be added for the iPhone at some point.



    Well that was the whole reason for my response in the first place- you are just trying to contort it to AppleTV.



    Quote:

    It is your straw man and I feel no obligation to explain it,



    That's both weak and lame.



    Quote:

    from what I have read on AI and MR, people would think that because that feature is

    available in many other phones. It seems that you will take Steve's word at face value

    when it suits your disingenuous pose. Other times, you try to dismiss Steve's word one

    way or another.




    Wrong agan- he specifically said it's not for the iPhone - why would I dismiss it? You're making it sound like he was lying.



    Quote:

    I'm sure everyone is happy for you and hopes it lives up to your wishes.



    Wishes? I've read and tested the thing for almost 2 months now so there is nothing to wish for- except your forgiveness in that I've offended you.
  • Reply 74 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Not today, my brand new iPod Touch just arrived today from China.

    Ordered election night- how fast was that to NYC?



    Pretty good! Congrats.
  • Reply 75 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post


    Who cares if email is better? The rest of the world is using MMS



    And if you want to talk about which one is better, I would rather use MMS than email. Way too many spam. I DON'T want to go through 90 spam to find one good email, or one good email getting dumped by the spam filter. Email is the least reliable way of communication these days.



    More phones do e-mail with pictures and attachments all the time.



    At some point MMS will disappear. MMS was designed for simpler phones.
  • Reply 76 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post


    SMS and MMS can't die off soon enough, for my tastes. They're a scam.



    You're dreaming for now. Neither MMS nor SMS is going to die off anytime soon. MMS is up 60% over a year ago - 25% of cell users sent or received photos by MMS in April 2008. From 57 billion SMS messages in 2005 to 600 billion in 2008, the popularity of text messaging is higher than ever. The average US mobile subscriber sends and receives 357 SMS messages a month.



    While we're dreaming, I'd like Apple to allow iTunes to create my own ringtones.
  • Reply 77 of 101
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Pretty good! Congrats.



    Thank you man-I'm lovin' it. Went to 5th Ave Apple store at lunch and picked up the Agent 18 shield case- it too is fantastic- just came out this week for 2nd Gen. Rode the elevator capsule too. Store packed- you never know it's a bad economy in there.
  • Reply 78 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Thank you man-I'm lovin' it. Went to 5th Ave Apple store at lunch and picked up the Agent 18 shield case- it too is fantastic- just came out this week for 2nd Gen. Rode the elevator capsule too. Store packed- you never know it's a bad economy in there.



    I didn't realize you were here in NYC.



    Yeah, the store is always busy. I bought incase silicone skins for our phones. Then I bought an incase leather case for mine (they don't wear theirs). Unfortunately, even though I was told the phonewith skin would work withe the leather case, it's too tight.



    Strangely enough, my old Treo 700p leather case works perfectly. I send incase a note about that.
  • Reply 79 of 101
    How about Apple get the following (see below) working first before having the iPhone make our coffee?



    1. Tethering (already available on jailbroken iPhones).

    2. A2DP.

    3. MMS (already available on jailbroken iPhones).

    4. Ability to record both video and audio in MPEG4 to send as a podcast. (already available on

    jailbroken iPhones).

    5. Ability to change light settings, digital zoom and have a timer for the camera. (already available on jailbroken iPhones)

    6. Ability to type in landscape mode even when using SMS or mobile chat application.

    7. Turn by Turn GPS Navigation.

    8. Voice Command and Voice Dial with out needing a third party solution.

    9. Ability to remote wipe data for MobileMe subscribers.

    10. Ability to run apps in the background. (already available on jailbroken iPhones)

    11. Ability to theme the iPhone. (already available on jailbroken iPhones)

    12. Ability to edit documents, not just read them.
  • Reply 80 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imagine Engine View Post


    How about Apple get the following (see below) working first before having the iPhone make our coffee?



    1. Tethering (already available on jailbroken iPhones).

    2. A2DP.

    3. MMS (already available on jailbroken iPhones).

    4. Ability to record both video and audio in MPEG4 to send as a podcast. (already available on

    jailbroken iPhones).

    5. Ability to change light settings, digital zoom and have a timer for the camera. (already available on jailbroken iPhones)

    6. Ability to type in landscape mode even when using SMS or mobile chat application.

    7. Turn by Turn GPS Navigation.

    8. Voice Command and Voice Dial with out needing a third party solution.

    9. Ability to remote wipe data for MobileMe subscribers.

    10. Ability to run apps in the background. (already available on jailbroken iPhones)

    11. Ability to theme the iPhone. (already available on jailbroken iPhones)

    12. Ability to edit documents, not just read them.



    Some of those things are coming, as we know.



    Some of those things Apple itself doesn't have to supply, whether you like that or not,



    and some of them are never going to come, thank heavens.
Sign In or Register to comment.