Apple sued over hairline cracks in iPhone 3G casings

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Man, those are some grody lookin' iPhones. I'll bet 3G reception is lousy in coal mines, too, and sue over that, as well!
  • Reply 22 of 69
    I've had the white iPhone since the day they came out, and it still looks brand new. I don't know what other people have been doing to their phones, but mine looks nothing like that.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    I have a little hairline crack on a white one. But i really don't care. It's just a phone. I'm sure if I ask a replacement, faith will let me drop the new phone and break the screen or something

Actually the iPhone is well designed. I had lots of expensive phones before and the had an abuse look after a few months. My iPhone looks still the same except for the little hairline.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Yeah my white has a few cracks but you know what no big deal. Frankly I'm more concerned about them fixing Safari. Even at that I'm no rush to sue, the reality is pushing people to make a better product just doesn't work. I'm also confident that Apple realizes they have issues with iPhone software and I'm just as confident that there are very few lawyers that can actually help fix the software.

Dave
  • Reply 25 of 69
    Wow, that phone in the picture has been through the ringer. Way more than normal use I would suspect. I am guessing that if I wanted to sue, I would be tossing it around as well.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

Something is not right i think, i have had the new 3G in white since day one my wife also has the new 3G in black since day one, i have drop my phone about 10x and honestly no hair lines crack here, my wife has drop hers more than 50x i'll say and hers even has tiny chips of plastic come off but no hair lines crack, so i think something is not right, No everyone is happy that these phones are selling at the rate they are Apple has a lot of enemies, but i'll say this if my phone had crack i too would be pist.

If you drop your phones 10 and 50 times, you should expect it to be broken. The hairline cracks are bullshit excuses to sue.
  • Reply 27 of 69
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

"Although Apple was and is aware that the iPhones were and are defective, and that consumers have experienced repeated instances of cracked housing, Apple has nevertheless allowed the defectively designed iPhones to be sold to the public,"

So Apple knows they are selling a defective product, and the guy files a lawsuit to get them to fix said problem, you all blast him. WOW. Stop give Apple free reach arounds please.

WRONG.

If the unit was truly defective, I'd be on this guys side... the fact is that he's suing because of cosmetic damage that in no way relates to performance, danger or functionality.

He's a greedy fool, like all the other thousands of greedy fools that feel they need a piece of the pie.

Apple is well aware of the cracks, they've said so themselves. Suing them over it is counter-productive and serves no purpose other than filling another moron's pockets.

Jimzip
  • Reply 28 of 69
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

If you drop your phones 10 and 50 times, you should expect it to be broken. The hairline cracks are bullshit excuses to sue.

I agree

• Reply 29 of 69
    i don't baby my phone. i have no problem if it gets a bit worn-looking. i don't expect to use it for more than 3 years or so. pretty low bar to satisfy me.

but, having examined my blk phone (about 4 months old), i was surprised to find that there are in fact a lot of cracks, similar to the ones in the posted photo. as long as they don't get much worse, it shouldn't be a big issue. but, there is also a break above the earphone jack in almost exactly the same place as the one in the photo. this clearly goes all the way through the case, and there's a slight difference in height.

so to all the people dismissing the reports of cracks as absurd, or clearly the result of unusual abuse, i think you ought to reconsider. there does appear to be a propensity for cracking. my other phones (including a 7 year old motorola) have no similar flaws. i don't necessarily see this as a design problem (except for the incredibly narrow section around the jack; obviously, that portion should have been reinforced or changed). as has been mentioned, it appears more like a manufacturing problem to me. i don't know about a lawsuit; i don't think apple should have to pay a big penalty on this kind of thing, as there isn't any appearance of misconduct. but... i do expect apple to stand behind the quality of the product. 6 months from now, if any of the cracks get much worse, or the breaks develop into snags, i expect them to replace the phone. if they won't do it without a hassle, then they absolutely should be sued.

otoh, if none of the cracks worsen, personally i'll probably slap some gaffer's tape on it and call it good.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    The problem with Apple is they are now choosing Form over Function to the extreme. Jonathan Ive is to powerful, the glass is a bad idea, it cracks and reflex to much, the plastic is not strong and cracks, the new laptops are also garbage all in the name if FORM. The trackpad is a pain in the ass, the glass screen is ugly, glares and attracts fingerprints all in the name of design. I used to Love Apple's design because it also functioned just as well, now I could see it's all about the form engorging users real world needs.

• Reply 31 of 69
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    I do not see how the cracks pictured here (around the camera, buttons or the headphone port ... OK, maybe the headphone port) would be caused by misuse. Drops would certainly not cause that either. They certainly appear to be flaws in the plastic and/or stress failures related to putting the device together.

That said, I'd suggest asking Apple or AT&T to repair/replace the phone under warranty, not sue them. I had a PDA with similar issues (brittle plastic which cracked at points where the phone went together) a few years back and the manufacturer had no problem with repairing it.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    there is no "class" in class action suits. it should be renamed "mercenary law sue". This is "among several customers", not thousands, not hundreds. Just several.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xtoph View Post

i don't baby my phone. i have no problem if it gets a bit worn-looking. i don't expect to use it for more than 3 years or so. pretty low bar to satisfy me.

but, having examined my blk phone (about 4 months old), i was surprised to find that there are in fact a lot of cracks, similar to the ones in the posted photo. as long as they don't get much worse, it shouldn't be a big issue. but, there is also a break above the earphone jack in almost exactly the same place as the one in the photo. this clearly goes all the way through the case, and there's a slight difference in height.

so to all the people dismissing the reports of cracks as absurd, or clearly the result of unusual abuse, i think you ought to reconsider. there does appear to be a propensity for cracking. my other phones (including a 7 year old motorola) have no similar flaws. i don't necessarily see this as a design problem (except for the incredibly narrow section around the jack; obviously, that portion should have been reinforced or changed). as has been mentioned, it appears more like a manufacturing problem to me. i don't know about a lawsuit; i don't think apple should have to pay a big penalty on this kind of thing, as there isn't any appearance of misconduct. but... i do expect apple to stand behind the quality of the product. 6 months from now, if any of the cracks get much worse, or the breaks develop into snags, i expect them to replace the phone. if they won't do it without a hassle, then they absolutely should be sued.

otoh, if none of the cracks worsen, personally i'll probably slap some gaffer's tape on it and call it good.

I purchased my black iPhone and a case for it on day 1. I absolutely baby my phone. It has never been dropped and when I lay it on a table I slide it out of it's leather pouch and rest it on that. It never comes in contact with a hard surface.

Just checked the phone and found a crack in the narrow plastic section between the chrome and headphone jack, along with some tiny ones around the camera. So what? The manufacturing may not be perfect, but I'd rather have a few cracks that no one sees than running Windows Mobile
  • Reply 34 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

The problem with Apple is they are now choosing Form over Function to the extreme.

No that is not true. Apple's main goal since 1984 is better interface function. OSX 's interface has improved greatly, such as Expose, Quicklook, Stacks, Timemachine. Macs start-up a lot faster than my wintel box. iPhone's multi-touch is the best interface function for any small gadgets. The clickwheel is the best Mp3 interface.

Form over Fuction is DOS with a Vista eyecandy.
  • Reply 35 of 69
    Lawsuits have their use, otherwise you're just a victim asking for more... I sure wish we had class actions in Europe, that would make the balance between the consumers and the big businesses a lot fairer. For instance, we would have less problem with oligarchic abuse or artificial prices...

Sometimes, you do have to get to justice, because companies won't give out what you paid for. For instance, until a couple of months ago, the iPhone "3G+" was limited to 384kbs in France. Bloggers started to complain louder and louder. Then, Orange unlocked it to 1.5Mbs, only for iPhones. A consumer association then took the matter to court - and bam, we're now on 3Mbs. But it's still only for iPhone, going to court will probably unlock the other phones, there is no reason a WM or RIM phone would need less bandwidth.

That's what justice is for. If it said "3G+" in the adds, I'd better be able to get 3G+ somewhere. Now, we're attacking Orange for that matter, because it's the easiest. Maybe in the USA it's easier to sue Apple. Anyway, it's not the business of the consumers to sort things out between the various contractors. You just sue the most visible - for instance Apple if that's where you bought your iPhone from. Then, Apple will turn against AT&T if that's where the responsability lies.

As for the cracks, this is a 700? device. It ought to have some basic level of quality. My antic Nokia 3210 is still in perfect shape, except for being obsolete, and it was not worth a tenth of that. Even my HP48 calculator from the 90s is still in perfect condition, and it too was cheaper than that.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    I had an iPhone 3G, and a crack developed over the first three months. There was no damage on the phone, no drops, no nothing. Then a major crack at its docking connector.

I took it into the Apple Store in Chadstone (Melbourne, Australia) and they replaced it straight away. The Genius said he gets this "semi often" and that its "got to be a manufacturing issue as its far too regular in occurrence for random drops and breaks."

He also noted that the cracks only rarely occurred where drops generally occur on the device. it isnt easy to crack it at the back of the docking port, for example, as around there there are further extrusions which would earlier get the force applied. This is the type of crack that geniuses see far too often and "just replace under warranty."

BTW, i now practically wrap my iPhone in tissues.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adamalicious View Post

This isn't a case of people abusing their phones. I have a black 8 gig and within 2 weeks of purchasing it it had over 20 cracks in the case. Only one is particularly noticeable - without it I probably wouldn't have found the others. AT&T refused to replace the unit because they didn't have one in stock within the first 30 days of my purchase, but they did acknowledge that it was "defective".

that is crap. but it is ATT's crap. that is who you have the right to be pissed with. Not Apple. they tried to do what they could but they can't be expected to suddenly pop up an Apple Store next to your house for ya.

what you should have done was get up in some faces at ATT and demand that they get over their '30 day' issue. Telling them that they either get you a phone stat and waive the whole 'only in 30 days' or you will be back in an hour to cancel your contract (before 30 days is up they don't charge the term fee). right after you go to TMobile/Verizon/Sprint and transfer your service. I will put down money that being told they are on the verge of losing a customer over something that petty will make them think twice.

Also, blaming Apple cause ATT's network sucks is equal crap. It's up there with the folks that tried to sue because they unlocked their phones and then when Apple updated the software the phones bricked. People were claiming that Apple did it on purpose to punish them (would serve them right true or not) instead of admitting that Apple had no responsibility to make sure it wouldn't happen since you weren't supposed to tamper with the phone anyway.
  • Reply 38 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Utterly ridiculous. Mobile phones are to be used, abused, and replaced. Not treated like some Ms. Prissy. The 3G claim is even further off the wall.

My problem with 3G is it works fine in Connecticut, but when I go to Manhattan I have to constantly reboot the phone to switch from Edge back to 3G. It happens a lot, which I have to tell you that the phone should work perfectly in Manhattan (the most populated place in the USA). I don't have time for a lawsuit, but I wish the phone would work properly since I'm paying $160+ a month for "unlimited" use.

Problems I have with 3G everywhere is when I click on weather it will say the update failed. The way around this I have found is to go into safari and do a search then go back to Weather.

When in Safari, the phone constantly will exit out of that application back to the main page.

I could list a whole plethora of bugs this phone exhibits. I hate the alternative which is WM7 so I wouldn't dare sue apple over these annoyances because the alternative is hell. I will say that what I am most disturbed about is the fact that all the good applications require voiding of the warranty, i.e. jailbreaking which I'm not willing to do as I want to keep my warranty.

I'm strongly considering the new MacBook Air because it is dual-link capable. It'll be my first Mac computer. I hope it's not as buggy as the iphone. It's one thing for the software to have ease of use (i.e. iphone has that) and quite another thing to put up with the bugs simply due to the ease of use is superior. With millions of these phones sold you would think R&D would product a better product for such basic features.

And while I'm on that subject. Yahoo weather is horribly inaccurate. NOAA or at least weatherbug or weather.com would be a far superior choice for the iphone. Plus the day forecast doesn't tell you very much...I'd prefer an hour by hour or at least morning/midday/night option. Personally, I just wish they'd allow you to download programs without having to jailbreak it. The whole "Apple must approve" what you download onto your iphone is crazy. If they did that for Mac or PC then people would be up in arms, but for a phone it's okay? double standard.

When people ask me how I like my iphone. I tell them that if you don't use the 3G or the GPS then you'll like it, but if you use those options then expect to charge your phone several times a day. I can drain a full charge in 45 minutes using navigation. I'd buy a thicker iphone just to have more battery life...the battery life is a joke.

This is my second iphone and I prefer the first iphone with a decent battery life and a reasonable priced plan...but there's no going back without an ETF.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

No that is not true. Apple's main goal since 1984 is better interface function. OSX 's interface has improved greatly, such as Expose, Quicklook, Stacks, Timemachine. Macs start-up a lot faster than my wintel box. iPhone's multi-touch is the best interface function for any small gadgets. The clickwheel is the best Mp3 interface.

Form over Fuction is DOS with a Vista eyecandy.

My form over function problem is with battery life. I would GLADLY buy a thicker 3G iphone with a longer battery life. I can drain the 3G iphone in less than one hour using the GPS navigation from a full charge. I charge my phone multiple times each day. If you just talk and text then it's fine, but the 3G and/or GPS use is a real drainer. Or even give us an option of swapping out the battery.

I'm a PC user who is strongly considering the new MAC because I want to run my IBM T221 off a 13 inch computer (the macbook air...the new one with dual-link). I'm still waiting on my $99 dual-link adapter to see if it'll run 3840x2400 resolution. I'm hoping that it does and hoping to switch over to MAC because I hate VISTA. I have several PCs and ever since the SP3 updates I have been forced to upgrade my IBMs as that update messes up my components. Anyway, my point is I am VERY annoyed with macbook air for following the same path of the iphone, i.e. not allowing to swap out batteries. Very few coffee shops and bookstores in Manhattan allow you to use power supplies. Thus I am considering the MacBook. I would buy the MacBook 15.4" in a heartbeat if they offered WUXGA screen but instead apple is stupidly following the 100ppi or less rule. So my only reason to buy a Mac is for the slim factor of the AIR. Otherwise, I might as well buy a PC and install Leopard...but that would be if a small PC actually was dual-link capable which 99.99999 percent are single-link thus Apple is God in the portable dual-link world.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by numale View Post

My form over function problem is with battery life. I would GLADLY buy a thicker 3G iphone with a longer battery life. I can drain the 3G iphone in less than one hour using the GPS navigation from a full charge. I charge my phone multiple times each day. If you just talk and text then it's fine, but the 3G and/or GPS use is a real drainer. Or even give us an option of swapping out the battery.

I'm a PC user who is strongly considering the new MAC because I want to run my IBM T221 off a 13 inch computer (the macbook air...the new one with dual-link). I'm still waiting on my $99 dual-link adapter to see if it'll run 3840x2400 resolution. I'm hoping that it does and hoping to switch over to MAC because I hate VISTA. I have several PCs and ever since the SP3 updates I have been forced to upgrade my IBMs as that update messes up my components. Anyway, my point is I am VERY annoyed with macbook air for following the same path of the iphone, i.e. not allowing to swap out batteries. Very few coffee shops and bookstores in Manhattan allow you to use power supplies. Thus I am considering the MacBook. I would buy the MacBook 15.4" in a heartbeat if they offered WUXGA screen but instead apple is stupidly following the 100ppi or less rule. So my only reason to buy a Mac is for the slim factor of the AIR. Otherwise, I might as well buy a PC and install Leopard...but that would be if a small PC actually was dual-link capable which 99.99999 percent are single-link thus Apple is God in the portable dual-link world.

I will bet you will the same/worse battery life if you use GPS in another other cell phone.

The point is, iPhone is the first phone which people constantly use for other things (Wifi, GPS, 3G web browsing). People use the other phones for phone calls (and maybe emails) only.

You don't even need to use GPS to drain the battery. Build a webpage yourself. Make it refresh itself constantly. View it in Safari. You will be out of battery in 40 minutes.

But, if you use any other phone, you will be out of battery in 40 minutes too.