Apple sued over hairline cracks in iPhone 3G casings

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    This is just some cheap scam to get rich quickly. Boo!
  • Reply 42 of 69
    nceencee Posts: 858member
    Hell, I never thought of it, but I should be suing Motorola - has the face of my Razor is cracked and 2 small pieces of the front glass have even falling off ? piece of shit!

Hey, I only put the phone in my pocket WITH my change, keys, and anything else I can fit into my pocket at the time ? no reason for it to get scratched because of that, is there?

And those small pieces of glass ? jesus, my kids or grandchildren could choke on those pieces - IF I could find them. And if they didn't fall out of my pocket until my pants went into my washing machine ? damn it, that must be why my washing machine broke down. And I never thought of it, but I cut my finger on the open piece of glass, that's got to be worth something!

Oh, just get a new phone you say. What a novel idea? But should I have to? I mean they say it's one of the best built phones - so shouldn't it last longer then 3-4 years without any damage?

That also explains why that young lady, ripped her hand out of my pocket awhile back. I thought she got scared or was bite by my friend, when in fact, she most likely caught her finger on the edge of the glass ? damn phone, I had to finish that job by myself - that's got to be worth something

Question, if these phones are getting cracks after a short period of time, then some must be sold with cracks, as a short period of time has passed since they were made and before it was purchased?

Skip
  • Reply 43 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by numale View Post

My form over function problem is with battery life. I would GLADLY buy a thicker 3G iphone with a longer battery life. I can drain the 3G iphone in less than one hour using the GPS navigation from a full charge. I charge my phone multiple times each day. If you just talk and text then it's fine, but the 3G and/or GPS use is a real drainer. Or even give us an option of swapping out the battery.

while it would be great to swap out batteries... you need to have your phone checked out, or stop running the screen on full brightness. Ive used GPS for navigation before for a few hours and didn't even drain half my battery... less than an hour? ouch, sounds like you might have a bad battery or something.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    Remember that the white Macbooks also suffer from the same hairline cracks! Apparantly Apple doesn't really give a sh*t and just continues using the same cheap material.

In my opinion it's good to show Apple that this is unacceptable.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,731member
    Suing because of a crack? You guys are on crack!
  • Reply 46 of 69
    Apple used to be renowned for build quality but this is very bad. I thought these were just occuring when it was first released meaning it could have been a production line issue. And for any muppet who is singing the "phones are meant to get blemishes" well yes if you only have the phone with no case ever then yes you can expect that with all phones. But if you are using a proper case and still find wear and tear then there is a problem.

Luckily mine has been fine so far.
  • Reply 47 of 69
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeystation View Post

Remember that the white Macbooks also suffer from the same hairline cracks! Apparantly Apple doesn't really give a sh*t and just continues using the same cheap material.

In my opinion it's good to show Apple that this is unacceptable.

Didn't apple change to new material?
  • Reply 48 of 69
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

while it would be great to swap out batteries... you need to have your phone checked out, or stop running the screen on full brightness. Ive used GPS for navigation before for a few hours and didn't even drain half my battery... less than an hour? ouch, sounds like you might have a bad battery or something.

It depends on the application.

Apple specifically advises developers to turn off the GPS when they get the location. However, Apple cannot control what developers do.

If the GPS updates the location continuously, then the iPhone will run down the battery in 40 minutes.

A well written app, whether using Wifi or GPS, would have little impact on the battery life. Apple needs a rating system in App Store on battery usage.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

It depends on the application.

Apple specifically advises developers to turn off the GPS when they get the location. However, Apple cannot control what developers do.

If the GPS updates the location continuously, then the iPhone will run down the battery in 40 minutes.

The problem is that many application can't do that, because they're supposed to keep updating the position. How is a software like TomTom or Route66 supposed to work if it's asked to shut down the GPS after a single location? Maybe that's why Apple is banning this kind of application from the SDK terms of use...

Anyway, I don't think the GPS is the problem. I have a standalone bluetooth GPS. It operates on an Nokia 3210 battery - not really high capacity. Yet, the device can stay on for days without problems...

The battery drain when using GPS aware applications does not come from the GPS chip. Or that cheap has some very serious issues with power management. The drain most probably comes from using the CPU and downloading maps off the 3G network... Another reason why we *really* need a GPS like TomTom that uses stored maps (that and the fact that using the default Google Map GPS will cost you thousands of $ if you use it abroad).
  • Reply 50 of 69
    iriairia Posts: 10member
    Anyone notice this particular plaintiff has a slight history with lawsuits? He allegedly scammed his partner.

http://tinyurl.com/5925yt
  • Reply 51 of 69
    focherfocher Posts: 688member
    Regardless of where you stand on whether this should rise to the level of a class action, it is pretty verifiable that there is a manufacturing defect with many of the cases of iPhones. I had a crack appear almost immediately, and the phone was replaced. There are lots of stories where there has been a refusal to replace the phone. That's the part that needs to change.

Manufacturing defects occur. It's a fact of life. The issue is when the company attempts to reduce their losses by refusing to repair the defect. It's basic consumer product law.

For those who would attribute a hairline crack that is the result of a manufacturing defect as a minor issue that doesn't rise to the level of requiring a repair / replacement, you are just out of touch with the law on that one.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

WRONG.

If the unit was truly defective, I'd be on this guys side... the fact is that he's suing because of cosmetic damage that in no way relates to performance, danger or functionality.

I really don't understand this position. Maybe I would agree if the looks of the device wasn't a significant factor in Apple designs, but it is. I would consider a cosmetic crack to be a defect. If I saw a flaw like that in any brand product, I generally would return it. Your position makes it sound like you would accept it if Apple sold you scratch & dent merchandise. Or at least belittle others complaining that were sold scratch and dent merchandise, because scratches and dents don't relate to performance, danger or functionality.

That said, other circumstances of the lawsuit are dubious.
  • Reply 53 of 69
    focherfocher Posts: 688member
    Somehow I would be willing to bet that the original poster of the comment would disagree if she/he had just purchased a new car that had the paint start peeling off. The "relates to performance, danger or functionality" is not at all a test of whether manufacturing defects are allowed for consumer products. It is just a made up phrase that has nothing to do with the actual legal standard.
  • Reply 54 of 69
    Hey I totally support you man and IS there a way I COULD GET IN TOUCH with YOUR ATTORNEY handling this case cause I have some unfinished complaints to TAKE UP WITH APPLE iPhone myself and really had not thought of this route. I feel you all the way and ready to back or support you with enough info to shake some ground... Apple iPhone and At&t has really GOUGED their rate plans for this thing. They are also the MOST IGNORANT GROUP of AFFILIATES this side of the planet. I wish I could leave my contact info on here. I think I'm going to contact some attorney on monday morning my self. I have tried several times to get in touch with APPLE iPhone with corporates and WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED if this GUY CLAIMING THE LAWSUIT MAY VERY WELL BE from APPLE iPhone too. I would not put it past Apple iPhone to come up with something of this nature just so that everyone else upset with this issue would not be able to attack on a later date.

A P P L E iPhone is E X T R E M E L Y I G N O R A N T... TELL ME OF YOUR ATTORNEY on this CASE I HAVE O N E CASE TOO
  • Reply 55 of 69
    I took great care of my black 3G and never dropped it but it cracked up the back. They did quickly replace it no questions asked. I was impressed by this, but at the same time I am really worried.

Out of curiosity I asked what could be done to prevent this. They told me to make sure to use a case. This is poor reasoning; they assume that we should use cases because of their defect?

Because they have made no effort to correct this issue, I am basically screwed when my year is up. This is not the first issue Apple has had with their "plastics of choice. We have seen this before.

-MacBooks crack near the closure (right above the IR port and status light).
    My wife's Macbook cracked, was fixed, then cracked again, same spot.
    My sister's MacBook cracked, was fixed, then cracked again, same spot.
    My sister in law's MacBook cracked, was fixed, then cracked again, same spot.
    -MacBook / Pro power chargers crack near the removable plug adapter area.
  • Reply 56 of 69
    God save us from these assholes.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adamalicious View Post

This isn't a case of people abusing their phones. I have a black 8 gig and within 2 weeks of purchasing it it had over 20 cracks in the case. Only one is particularly noticeable - without it I probably wouldn't have found the others. AT&T refused to replace the unit because they didn't have one in stock within the first 30 days of my purchase, but they did acknowledge that it was "defective".

I opened a case with Apple Support over the phone. They said they would replace it, but I have to take it to an Apple store (several hours drive for me) or send it in and not have it for at least a week. I could get a "service phone" for $29 to use in the interim or pay $69 for Apple care and they would do the "service phone" for free.

I think this is unacceptable - asking me to pay or be inconvenienced to replace a product with manufacturing defects. Can you imagine if they charged you to replace the recently recalled iPhone power adaptor plug?

I understand why they don't want to make a big fuss about it, but they aren't really doing right by their customers who can't just pop over to the local Apple store whenever they feel like it.

People like this is the reason having a customer service job absolutely sucks. It isn't so much that the customer service is "Unacceptable" as much as the customer is just unreasonable. Seriously, is it Apple's fault you live "several hours" away from an Apple Store? If they were to locate an Apple Store next to every Starbucks would that be better for you? Of course look what that has gotten Starbucks; struggling because they have too many locations. So buy the AppleCare for goodness sake, AppleCare is the ONLY extended warranty out there that will repair a unit beyond the cost of the actual product. You will get the interim phone at no additional charge AND an extra year of protection (Including the battery). I can't figure out why I would not be able to do without a cell phone for a week. Looks like people need to simplify their lives a bit, if you are chained to your phone perhaps you should have considered getting a phone with a "convienient" repair plan, did you not know you lived several hours from an Apple Store at the time of purchase? If they are offering to let you FedEx it in that sounds a lot better than anyone else out there? And considering I've never waited more than 3 days for ANY notebook repair to come back from Apple, I'm pretty confident it would be MORE inconvienient for you to even deal with the "service phone" anyway. It isn't like they can just send it to you through the Phone line, so, Yes, you ARE going to have to get off your butt and take some initiative in order for your phone to be replaced (I mean they are willing to replace your phone for you pretty much no questions asked, maybe if you ask nice enough the guy on "I'm a Mac" commercials can deliver it to your house yesterday.)
  • Reply 58 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

The problem with Apple is they are now choosing Form over Function to the extreme. Jonathan Ive is to powerful, the glass is a bad idea, it cracks and reflex to much, the plastic is not strong and cracks, the new laptops are also garbage all in the name if FORM. The trackpad is a pain in the ass, the glass screen is ugly, glares and attracts fingerprints all in the name of design. I used to Love Apple's design because it also functioned just as well, now I could see it's all about the form engorging users real world needs.

Do you seriously think for a second Apple would sell a lot of "Ugly but functional" devices?

• Reply 59 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

I can't figure out why I would not be able to do without a cell phone for a week. Looks like people need to simplify their lives a bit, if you are chained to your phone perhaps you should have considered getting a phone with a "convienient" repair plan, did you not know you lived several hours from an Apple Store at the time of purchase?

I think questioning someone's needs or lifestyles without knowing the particulars is a dubious argument, may as well call it a strawman argument.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    If Apple know about this defect and aren't doing anything about it then they deserved to be sued.

However, if they know about the problem and are actively trying to remedy it (replacement units is not a long term solution) then I hope this lawsuit gets thrown out very quickly.

People say it's only cosmetic damage but aesthetics is one of the main results that people buy Apple products. How many iPods would Apple sell if they all came pre-scratched?