Apple finally taking orders for new in-ear headphones

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple this week began accepting orders for a pair of new headphone options designed for iPods, nearly three months after the accessories were first announced at a September media event.



The Apple online store is now reflecting availability of the $79 Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic within 7-10 business days, while the $29 Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic carry a 3-4 week wait, and thus may not ship in time for the holidays.



At $79, the premium headphones include independent woofer and tweeter drivers, which should stand up to comparable dual driver headphones that usually sell for three or four times as much, according to Apple.



"They offer pro audio performance and impressive sound isolation, and convenient buttons let you adjust the volume and control music and video playback," the company says.



Meanwhile, the Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic are described as having "all the performance and comfort of the acclaimed Apple iPod Earphones plus convenient buttons that let you adjust volume and control music and video playback."



One of the biggest draws of the new headphones is their ability to facilitate audio recording on the latest generation of iPods without any bulky attachments. Unlike previous generation iPods, the models introduced in September -- the fourth-gen iPod nano, second-gen iPod touch, and revised iPod Classic 120GB -- all feature audio input through the fourth connector of the headphone jack like the iPhone.







While the new premium headphones sport volume controls -- presumably using the same mic signal to adjust volume as the iPhone's mic uses to switch songs or accept incoming calls -- they are not listed as compatible with the iPhone because it was not designed to adjust volume with the mic switch. On the other hand, the mic should still work and the headphones will work with any iPod or other standard headphone jack device.





«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 67
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Will the click/double-click/triple-click work with the iPhone?
  • Reply 2 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post


    Will the click/double-click/triple-click work with the iPhone?



    The new headphones are not compatible with the iPhone according to Apple's website.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    That is really disappointing that the iPhone is not supported. I was pretty stoked to use these as my go everywhere headphones with my iPhone. I guess I will have to wait.........
  • Reply 4 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macuser333 View Post


    That is really disappointing that the iPhone is not supported. I was pretty stoked to use these as my go everywhere headphones with my iPhone. I guess I will have to wait.........



    It seems like a major oversight. I wonder if they will make the headphones compatible with the suspected iPhone capacity bump coming in early 2009, or wait until the suspected redesign coming in the Summer.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrparet View Post


    The new headphones are not compatible with the iPhone according to Apple's website.



    This came up before, I think the problem is the volume control buttons. The play/pause/skip button should still work. Before buying one, I suggest trying it at the Apple store if they have a display unit.



    I would expect the next revision of the iPhone would offer full compatibility.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    This came up before, I think the problem is the volume control buttons. The play/pause/skip button should still work. Before buying one, I suggest trying it at the Apple store if they have a display unit.



    This better be the case!! If not I would consider this a big oversight by Apple. I *really* want a pair for my 2.5G iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post


    Will the click/double-click/triple-click work with the iPhone?



    We addressed this in the article to the best of our knowledge, please read above. We'll have an exact answer for you guys once our headphones ship and we can properly review them.



    Best,



    K
  • Reply 8 of 67
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    ... the suspected iPhone capacity bump coming in early 2009...



    WHAT? Please elaborate. You may just have deprived me of my xmas present!
  • Reply 9 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by electronspeeder View Post


    This better be the case!!



    Looking at Apple's history, that is most likely the case. Apple doesn't advertise "mostly compatible" with their products,



    I suspect that once Apple updates the iPhone HW, they will also start including the volume control earbud headphones as standard with the iPhone.



    PS: I am looking forward to the upcoming sound tests, but doubt that Apple is shipping anything extraordinary at the $79 price-point.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Do iPhone users ever not whine??
  • Reply 11 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    WHAT? Please elaborate. You may just have deprived me of my xmas present!



    Their isn't much of a precedence since the iPhone is still new, but so far in its history we have a 4 and 8GB model being released in June 2007, then the 4GB being dropped, then a 16GB model being introduced in February 2008, about 6 months later, with no other changes to the design.



    Then about 6 months later, in July 2008, the 3G iPhone was introduced with a new case and internal HW, but with the same Flash capacity. If we follow the same pattern, Apple will introduce a 32GB model in early 2009 to match the current iPod Touch capacity, but will not change anything else (major) on the device. Similar to the tick-tock method used by Intel.



    Until we get some more cycles or official word from Apple (which won't happen) it's just a hypothesis.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Their isn't much of a precedence since the iPhone is still new, but so far in its history we have a 4 and 8GB model being released in June 2007, then the 4GB being dropped, then a 16GB model being introduced in February 2008, about 6 months later, with no other changes to the design.



    In July 2008 the 3G iPhone was introduced with a new case and HW, but with the same Flash capacity. If we follow the same pattern, Apple will introduce a 32GB model in early 2009 to match the current iPod Touch capacity, but will not change anything else (major) on the device. Similar to the tick-tock method used by Intel.



    Until we get some more cycles or official word from Apple (which won't happen) it's just a hypothesis.



    Thanks - you just started another batch of iPhone whines.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Thanks - you just started another batch of iPhone whines.



    I'm not sure what their is to whine about if Apple gives us an update every 6 months or so. At least the whiners give you an outlet to complain about them.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    these could also possibly be made fully compatible with a software update.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I'm not sure what their is to whine about if Apple gives us an update every 6 months or so. At least the whiners give you an outlet to complain about them.



    No complaining here-just commenting.

    It's the circle of many an iPhone owner's life:

    They whine because they don't have.

    They complain when they get.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Do iPhone users ever not whine??



    I swear to god that the Internet was a friendlier, happier place before the iPhone was announced.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segastyle View Post


    these could also possibly be made fully compatible with a software update.



    While I hope this is true, I would think that if it were that simple the iPhone would have been included in the compatibility list and the have been updated by v2.2. I can't see a strategic move where Apple would want to not allow the millions of the iPhone users to not by their headphones with the volume controls.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    While I hope this is true, I would think that if it were that simple the iPhone would have been included in the compatibility list and the have been updated by v2.2. I can't see a strategic move where Apple would want to not allow the millions of the iPhone users to not by their headphones with the volume controls.



    Do you think maybe now the whines will cease? Face it- you're just not getting it. It will be a reason for you all to buy next summer's 3G/3Gen. Then you all can complain how it drains your battery or interferes with your reception or whatever.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Do you think maybe now the whines will cease? Face it- you're just not getting it. It will be a reason for you all to buy next summer's 3G/3Gen.



    I don't see how your two statements fit together. What does some people whining and buying new product in the future have to do with each other. Some people are just never happy. I am quite happy with my iPhone but will surely buy a new one next summer. I may even buy a new one before that if they up the capacity and add volume control support to the headphones.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I don't see how your two statements fit together. What does some people whining and buying new product in the future have to do with each other. Some people are just never happy. I am quite happy with my iPhone but will surely buy a new one next summer. I may even buy a new one before that if they up the capacity and add volume control support to the headphones.



    And if that volume control drains you battery and interferes with your reception- no complaints- right?
Sign In or Register to comment.