Expanded Apple lawsuit claims Psystar part of a larger plot

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

I wish Psystar my best here, but this is unfortunately where DMCA stifles competition and innovation. What was really intended to protect copyrighted content from illegally being copied is now being used to lock software to specific hardware and lock legitimate software out of other hardware. The founding fathers are rolling in their graves. This is corporate lobbyists in DC at their "finest". Unfortunately, fixing the DMCA is non-existent on the list of campaign issues for elected officials and the electorate is, for the most part, fat, dumb and happy with their gadgets.

I'd also love to hear from some of the open source people who laid the groundwork of OS X as to their opinion of Apple building on their work and then locking it out of other hardware.

I actually own a copy of Leopard. Nowhere on or inside the package does it say "upgrade". There is no law preventing Apple from selling upgrade vs. non-upgrade priced copies of their OS. It is definitely not the purpose of DMCA to protect Apple from a flawed sales model. Also, there is no law forcing Apple to write device drivers. There is no law forcing Apple to offer support to unsupported platforms (Apple does also nicely list the system requirements).

You almost hit the real reason why Apple is "locking" OS X to specific hardware...almost.

Apple locks OS X onto specific hardware because, that's the hardware it gets tested the most on. This means that OS X works as intended on this hardware. If there was no lock and if any old company could produce a PC that ran OS X, Apple would have less control over the hardware being used and OS X might not work as intended on it. This would pose a serious problem as people would blame OS X before they blame the hardware...so Apple would get the bad rep while Dell and Co. wouldn't.

You almost got it.
  • Reply 42 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by otwayross View Post

plus who's to say this isn't an anti-trust case?

if microsoft can get charged and pay settlement to avoid conviction because they locked out suppliers of internet browsers

who's to say apple couldn't get the same treatment for locking out hardware suppliers

(market share will have something to do with this, but since marketshare is growing...)

Not the same thing.
  • Reply 43 of 101
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

And as long as you buy a new one next year to replace the one that will have died you can still play those games.

I said good not great
  • Reply 44 of 101
    Blah. MS added a extended warranty. I'm sure you do tell people to get the replacement plan, it's your job. Just like the people in the Apple store try to get you get Apple Care. My friend has a 360 and it's fine. Stop spreading bullshit lies about products. I'd like to know how you can see into the future and see his 360 dying.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

And as long as you buy a new one next year to replace the one that will have died you can still play those games.

I tell people all the time to buy the store replacement plan for any XBox they buy.

• Reply 45 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

Well Jeff, you assume that all people live in USA where is the only place where everything is available, just compared it to iTunes or the new born App Store that is available in way more countries with the full array of products.

When you compare Xbox store to Apple's is kind of ridiculous.

In my country I was one of the first to buy an xbox, same happened with the 360. Lame I can't buy anything from the store as it happens with some other 6 to 8 millions xbox users around Latin America.

All the stuff I bought from that store was in one of my trips to USA, at least I can travel there, thank god I don't live there anymore.

Happier over here

Point taken, and it is unfortunate.

But most digital stores have region issues. How well does iTunes serve your region?
  • Reply 46 of 101
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    If the John Doe's turned out to be Woz and friends, they'd be tough to catch. Those segways are nippy! Police chase of the century though.
  • Reply 47 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

waaah, waaah, Apple. Just give it up already. Open up your damn operating system so people can install it on their machines without getting gouged on the prices.

It is Apple's right though. They alone have persevered and stayed solvent when every other consumer computer platform or operating system has sunk long ago save for Windows. Amiga, BeOS, OS/2 are gone, I'm sure there are several that I'm forgetting.

Apple's overall sales have been increasing despite a recession that's started late last year, despite the gouging you say happens - which I would agree on their memory and hard drive prices, their systems are pretty decent. And you're asking them to give up those profits? What sane person or company would take you up on your request? You're asking them to give up what's in their best interest to keep, which is a recipe for you not getting what you want.

I understand that you want what you see is in your best interest, maybe you should learn how to put yourself in other people's shoes. If you regard everyone else as being stupid for not believing what you want them to, don't go complaining that they don't take your side and do what you want.

I'm curious why you can't take your own advice and give it up already. Maybe try doing something else to find something that makes you happy. You haven't made a constructive or informative post here in a very long time that I remember, you're usually posting in a negative, whining tone.
  • Reply 48 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Drop dead. Please.

I'd like to second that motion....

I didn't think Apple was sitting on it's hands......

Apple Legal is going to make mince meat out of Psystar..... and I can't think of a more deserving bunch of loosers....

GET'M APPLE....... SUE SUE SUE......
  • Reply 49 of 101
    Quote:

waaah, waaah, Apple. Just give it up already. Open up your damn operating system so people can install it on their machines without getting gouged on the prices.

Do you like carrying around a big flag that says, "I'm a totally Ignorant Buffoon!". Apple makes OS X to run on it's OWN MACHINES..... which are by far superior to the shit PC's I've unfortunately owned over the past decade..... it's a package deal.... and it's their choice. Because.... THEY OWN THE CODE.....

Here's another thought ..... You get what you pay for....

And as another person in here said....

"Please Drop Dead"......
  • Reply 50 of 101
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

You almost hit the real reason why Apple is "locking" OS X to specific hardware...almost.

Apple locks OS X onto specific hardware because, that's the hardware it gets tested the most on. This means that OS X works as intended on this hardware. If there was no lock and if any old company could produce a PC that ran OS X, Apple would have less control over the hardware being used and OS X might not work as intended on it. This would pose a serious problem as people would blame OS X before they blame the hardware...so Apple would get the bad rep while Dell and Co. wouldn't.

You almost got it.

Got what? That we should be legally protecting companies from their fear of getting a "bad rep"? That was not the intent of the DMCA.

If there was no lock on you using brand XYZ nails in brand XYZ boards well XYZ might get a "bad rep" if you used those XYZ nails in your ABC brand board. Oops! We'd better get out there and protect those construction materials companies too. Imagine Edison inventing the light bulb or phonograph in that kind environment. I'm sorry, you can't put our brand of wire with that brand of glass. Sorry, but you want use whose foil with our needles???

There's nothing to get. Apple wants to have their cake and eat it too. They want to sell Leopard to people, but only if they can tell you what hardware to run it on.
  • Reply 51 of 101
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

Do you like carrying around a big flag that says, "I'm a totally Ignorant Buffoon!". Apple makes OS X to run on it's OWN MACHINES..... which are by far superior to the shit PC's I've unfortunately owned over the past decade..... it's a package deal.... and it's their choice. Because.... THEY OWN THE CODE.....

Here's another thought ..... You get what you pay for....

And as another person in here said....

"Please Drop Dead"......

Well, we can all learn a lesson here. Next time, before responding to this sort of tripe, we need to peruse the profile and previous posts of the suspected troll. Sure enough, g3pro is a shill troll to the hilt. In the future we need to just ignore this tool. Don't give "it" the pleasure of reading respones to the bait.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Not the same thing.

care to explain why you think that preventing hardware suppliers competing by using software locks isn't anti-trust ?

people choose their computers as much on the OS as on the hardware

and especially since apple is not providing hardware technologically different to anyone else (phew let the fanboi debate begin)

apple is using this as a lever to get an edge over competitors (which are who? that's right hardware companies like Dell, HP, Lenovo)

they are not using either the DMCA or the EULA to protect their OS software alone - they are using it to protect another item

...an item not meant to be protected by either the DMCA or an EULA

ie they are using their software locks to protect hardware, hardware which has no copyright links to the software

(and any technological links that are there are arguably created for precisely that purpose)

people have pointed this out... this is apple's business model

but it's also the basis of anti-trust cases everywhere

only since they only have a small market share no one has bothered to chase them (yet)
  • Reply 53 of 101
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Well, we can all learn a lesson here. Next time, before responding to this sort of tripe, we need to peruse the profile and previous posts of the suspected troll. Sure enough, g3pro is a shill troll to the hilt. In the future we need to just ignore this tool. Don't give "it" the pleasure of reading respones to the bait.

Wait a minute... you're calling me a shill because I question Apple on its hardware pricing.

You, on the other hand, unquestionably follow Apple in whatever decision they make regardless of the outcome or motive behind them. If there is any question about who a shill is in this discussion, it would be you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Let's see, Vista = 199.95-319.95

Leopard= 129.95 - that's it ...top of the line 129.95.

So who exactly is getting gouged here.:

wow:

I'm talking about getting gouged on the hardware, not the software. The hardware Apple sells is the same hardware other PC manufacturers sell, just encased in an Apple-branded shell.
  • Reply 54 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by otwayross View Post

care to explain why you think that preventing hardware suppliers competing by using software locks isn't anti-trust ?

people choose their computers as much on the OS as on the hardware

and especially since apple is not providing hardware technologically different to anyone else (phew let the fanboi debate begin)

apple is using this as a lever to get an edge over competitors (which are who? that's right hardware companies like Dell, HP, Lenovo)

they are not using either the DMCA or the EULA to protect their OS software alone - they are using it to protect another item

...an item not meant to be protected by either the DMCA or an EULA

ie they are using their software locks to protect hardware, hardware which has no copyright links to the software

(and any technological links that are there are arguably created for precisely that purpose)

people have pointed this out... this is apple's business model

but it's also the basis of anti-trust cases everywhere

only since they only have a small market share no one has bothered to chase them (yet)

A judge already threw out Psystar's anti-trust and monopoly claims that mirror your own words. Apple does offer HW that others don't have, but you have at the whole machine, not just the parts that can be found in other PCs. You also have to understand some basics about business and how that trying to force Apple to socialize its OS is not an aspect of a free market because OS X and Mac are not a market, they are simply part of the PC market.
  • Reply 55 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I'm talking about getting gouged on the hardware, not the software. The hardware Apple sells is the same hardware other PC manufacturers sell, just encased in an Apple-branded shell.

That shell you so easily dismiss is hardware. While attractive to many it serves more than an aesthetic function. It creates the frame and the size and even offers a more environmentally friendly machine. If it's just a shell then why are other manufacturer's machines so thick in comparison? Why don't they have multi-gesture trackpads? While the thickness, extra HW features, and 'green' aspects mean little to you, they do serve a purpose that does seem to encourage sales.
  • Reply 56 of 101
    Quote:

Hey Krupp,

Thanks for sharing the insight of your research. I will make sure not to pay any attention to "It".... nor will I make any more attempts to engage or flame "it".

Because "it" obviously has small genitalia as well as minimal mental capacity. It's really quite amazing that "It" has evolved enough to type into a computer let alone even plug it into the wall. I wonder how many times "It" shocked itself doing that....

Let's not speak of "it" again...LOL.

You rock K!

Z
  • Reply 57 of 101
    Quote:

Wait a minute... you're calling me a shill because I question Apple on its hardware pricing.

You, on the other hand, unquestionably follow Apple in whatever decision they make regardless of the outcome or motive behind them. If there is any question about who a shill is in this discussion, it would be you.

I think you may have hurt "It"'s feeler or something Krupps.....

Hey "It"...... Apple makes and designs it's hardware/package. This is still America despite your vapid whining..... Apple can charge whatever they want and most importantly.... what the market is willing to PAY. This may be a foreign idea but Apple is actually in business to make $ and there's nothing wrong with that. Free Market Economics..... fancy set of words I know... but look them up. If you want to save $ then buy a used machine or a mini.

Man I did it Krupps.... I tried to engage "It" again.... that's it... I'll get back to work now.

Z
  • Reply 58 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But the most eyebrow-raising element remains the 18th paragraph, which explicitly states that Apple believes ten unknown people or companies -- each nicknamed "John Doe" -- have contributed on some level to the numerous violations named in the amended suit.

Quick, somebody call Jack Bauer to save the day!

Quote:

"On information and belief, persons other than Psystar are involved in Psystar’s unlawful and improper activities described in this Amended Complaint," the new section reads. "The true names or capacities, whether individual, corporate, or otherwise, of these persons are unknown to Apple. Apple will seek leave to amend this complaint to show the unknown John Doe Defendants’ true names and capacities when they are ascertained."

It was Mr. Mustard, in the library, behind the IT book shelf collection with a bottle of catsup! (So much for my "Clue®" interpretation...)

No really it is the legend of Nick Ciarelli and Think Secrets revenge! Muahhahahahaha...

Quote:

The statement is seen as uncharacteristic for Apple, which is throwing the full weight of both its legal team and its fact-finding resources behind a case against a comparatively small target. Erwan Hamon of Groklaw suggests not only that Apple may have reason to believe in a wider conspiracy but that Psystar's defiant posture may stem from the support of others behind the scenes.

Support by the X86 Development Team! Maybe... or Maybe it's that MS character that plays the "I'm a PC and I've been made into a stereotype" clone to Apple's "I'm a PC" star John Hodgman.

Quote:

While no direct clues have surfaced as to who if anyone might support Psystar, the company's Mac clones are known to be using pre-made, third-party code to bypass Apple's usual checks for official firmware during the Mac OS X Leopard installation process. The unofficial vendor's primary culpability is to perform the bootleg installations itself and market the systems as capable of running the Mac operating system despite Apple's licensing terms that forbid use on anything but its own computers.

The quickest way to find out who did it, is for Apple to go back through it's employee records and see who they fired a few months before Pystart stated selling Mac clones.
  • Reply 59 of 101
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

I wish Psystar my best here, but this is unfortunately where DMCA stifles competition and innovation.

WHAT?!?!?!?!

Fucking hello? Psystar - Innovation?????

Psystar = Fucking hacking thieving bastards. And even then they are only able to do that because of the work done by others in the OSX86 scene.

Its unbelievable the number of idiots that believe its their god given right to nick other peoples software or dictate to a company how they should do business. Get with the real world FFS.
  • Reply 60 of 101
    Just a question here... how does something like the Axiotron Modbook work then? Is that another hardware maker using OSX as an operating system? How do they get away with it?

I'm just asking so please don't rip my head off.