Economy, opportunity seen leading to $599 Apple netbook

Comments

• Reply 101 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

bullshit. Why is the bezel on the MBA larger than any of the other portables? The larger footprint is a direct result of the thinness, because you have to pack a big processor in there. The MBA processor is a very capable one, only slowed down by memory and bus limitations. It's nowhere near a netbook (not that I want it to be). But a 13" screen with the same footprint as a 15" MBP is pretty lame. Why this obsession with thin? The 12" powerbook was the perfect size footprint, and it could be made much thinner with today's components, while still maintaining a full keyboard and "comfortable" input. The MBA was the ultimate of compromises, and it failed miserably. If it hadn't, you would've heard the 'netbook crowd hush up as they flocked toward it. That didn't happen.

Can I have a show of hands of those who care more about footprint than thinness?

yes, I agree, I prefer a smaller footprint more than ultimate thinness... granted, I still like thinness but for me, the perfect laptop is between 10" - 12" screen, preferable 10 - 11" really. I love the HP mini 1000 netbook but it fails on it's features badly compared to an Acer AspireOne however the AspireOne's screen size is 8.9" which is too small. Wish Apple would come out with something like that size. I had high hopes on the Air but it's just not for me at that price. The most attractive thing about a netbook is the fact that is portable at a great low price.... not $1700... ouch!!
  • Reply 102 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

These mockups have a pension for obsessing over handheld tablets ala Star Trek, but always with an overtly sexual fetish; hence the holographic image of a woman emitting forth from the Apple logo.

And we wonder how come Photoshop designs always belie reality.

If Apple really made that mockup of the ibook you have there, I'd totally buy it... but I need at least 3 USB ports on it and a NIC port......pleeeezzee
  • Reply 103 of 256
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

I think there is room between the $399 iPod touch and the $999/1299 13" MacBook for a couple of products that would fit the netbook/notebook market before Apple can release a full Mac OS X tablet (or something like that).

1- MacBook mini (10-11") based on the 13" MacBook motherboard, still with a full keyboard (enclosure cut as close to the keys as possible (11.0-11.5" wide), 7.0-7.5" depth, no optical drive. Could use the MBA external ODD.

When the 13" MacBook is updated to 2.26/2.53GHz cpus or better (spring 2009), this MacBook mini could receive the leftovers (2.0/2.4GHz cpus). Apple could probably price those at $899-1099 and keep the 13" MacBook at $1299/1599.

Apply a modern Apple look on the Isamu Sanada mock-up below (image on the left).

Cons: more expensive and bigger than most netbooks, small trackpad

Pros: more powerful than any netbook, standard OS, standard apps

More expensive and bigger is fine. It wouldn't be much bigger than the NEC MobilePro 750c. I used to have one. It was useful and small and light enough to always carry in my bag, every day, night and day. People would be willing to pay $600 or so for an Apple netbook because they know Macs are worth it. Don't need the small trackpad, though. Apple has MultiTouch touchscreen technology now. Even the MobilePro had a touchscreen with a stylus, and that was years ago. And before anyone starts whining, "I don't want to see fingerprints on my screen!" remember that millions of people are already doing just that with their iPhones. Although I actually would prefer a separate pointing device. I don't like fingers blocking my view.

I usually got at least 8 hours of use out of that MobilePro on each charge. No way any Macbook is matching that. And like the reviewer above wrote, I could easily touchtype without looking even though the keyboard was slightly smaller than normal. It wouldn't be new for Apple. The Powerbook 2400 had a smaller keyboard.

That concept above would be even better if they borrowed a page from Windows (about time Apple swiped an idea from them) and put a small secondary display on the outside, along with a clickwheel, so it could work as an iPod when it's closed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I have a new Mac book. The thing is 1) small, 2) light, and 3) fully capable. It also sports about as small a screen as I would be willing to have on my main computer.

Why would anybody even consider a netbook for a "main computer"? It's a portable supplement, not a desktop replacement. A Macbook is small and light? You've never handled a true subnotebook, obviously. Nor do you have to haul your laptop around all day.

And yes, there are plenty of more things one would be able to do with a netbook that you can't do with a souped-up iPhone. Road warriors need a machine to type up reports, tweak presentations and write full emails rather than just single-sentence messages closer to IMs. Not to mention a plethora of features that Apple doesn't provide on the iPhone and doesn't seem to be in a hurry to bring, like cut & paste and Flash support. But they don't need a full-blown laptop to do video editing or Photoshop work.
  • Reply 104 of 256
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

WE NEED THOUSANDS for our University:

- Light (about 300 to 400 g). The MacBook Air is too heavy for us!

- Small (pocketable; about 5-inch screen or so). The MacBook Air is too large for us!

- Full and genuine and native Mac OS X 10.5.5 inside (not just OS X)

- VGA port out to connect to videoprojectors for videopresentations.

- FireWire for Target Disk Mode repairs and much better file transfer performance.

- Touch screen.

- Tablet form factor.

- Pricing is NOT an issue.

Because we do NOT want it for heavy work. We want to use it as the ultimate presentation remote for both wired (VGA port) and full blown (transtions, animations, video, etc) wireless presentations, using NATIVE Apple Keynote and Microsoft PowerPoint files (NOT exported slideshows or exported video streams from them!) on videoprojectors. Much as can be done with laptops, but carrying it in your pocket!

Something like this:

OQO model 02

OQO model e2

http://www.oqo.com

Or even better from Apple (see first picture):

Next Apple moves will be Books and Games?

http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09...ooks-and-games

So...

1. Make the presentation on your Mac.

2. Save it to the pocketable Mac.

3. Carry only the pocketble Mac to the lecturing room, meetin room, etc.

4. Use only the pocketable Mac for the full-blown presentation. Computerless in the sense that no other computer involved.

Can Apple deliver or should we keep on using something like this?

Now OQO is the smallest MAC in the World...Instructions Complete on page 9

http://www.oqotalk.com/index.php/topic,2672.0.html

Re: Now OQO is the smallest MAC in the World...Instructions complete!

http://www.oqotalk.com/index.php/top....html#msg19574

HOPEFULLY APPLE WILL DO IT. BECAUSE WE NEED THOUSANDS NOW!

A $600 netbook! Surely this is a joke. The market is moving toward a $250-$300 (2009 spec) netbook in the 8" to 10" screen size running Linux (most likely a slimmed down Ubuntu). Ones running Windows will be slightly more.

Not only that, but there is a MID spec which is coming together which is to be in between size of a "smart phone" and a netbook.

Apple would probably screw it up anyway.
  • Reply 105 of 256
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    I trust whatever Steve decides to do.

"He's a genius. He's like a god who knows what we want!"

http://www.hulu.com/watch/46751/the-...bs#x-4,vclip,1
  • Reply 106 of 256
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Mac Mini? Though it hasn't been updated for over a year and is pretty crappy specs-wise.

Well you are correct that it hasn't been updated. But, it is hardly crappy. It's probably the best computer Apple makes. Makes use of your HDTV, fast enough for most tasks, small, quiet, lot's of expansion capability. The Dell Studio is similar but has HDMI.

The Mini could do with HDMI and an easier way to expand RAM. But even as is it's a great system.

philip
  • Reply 107 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Granted I have family that works for Apple, so I only paid $1, 000 bucks for mine, but, setting the Firewire issue aside, it is the best Mac I have ever owned.

The MacBook is really nice. I don't personally "believe" in laptops, but if one must have a portable typewriter and communication device then the MacBook is a great choice. In fact, for most people it is probably the best computer to buy.

It's not clear what is to become of desktops so it's hard to compare things with the Mac Pro and iMac in mind. If you throw those out for the moment then it seems to me that the Mac Mini and iPhone/iTouch are the only products that make sense. The $600 notebook is a waste of time (I have an EEPC and it's gathering dust). An upgraded Mini takes care of what to do with that big HDTV, other than TV, ( which I don't feel the Apple TV does) and it can double as a general purpose computer (no games which are best left to dedicated gaming systems).

The iPhone or something like it is really what you want for most of the netbook tasks. The issue of the typewriter seems to be important. If typing is important then the netbooks will be important. My preference is for handwriting (not recognition to turn it into type) and hence Tablet PC's with active diigitizing screens are the way to go. Apple doesn't seem to believe this. They seem to feel that cursive handwriting is on the way out and they may be correct. If they are then they are on the right track. If not then they will regret the lack of attention paid to integrating cursive handwriting into OSX.

The bottom line is that netbooks are a waste of time. A larger screen iTouch would be way better.

philip
  • Reply 108 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

A $600 netbook! Surely this is a joke. The market is moving toward a $250-$300 (2009 spec) netbook in the 8" to 10" screen size running Linux (most likely a slimmed down Ubuntu). Ones running Windows will be slightly more.

All junk. It's not even worth thinking about.

philip
  • Reply 109 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

the iPhone/iTouch is the netbook you are looking for. I have an iPhone and Asus Eee PC. the iPhone does more out of the box, better, smaller and more portable. You can customize the iPhone/iTouch with the free apps from the AppStore.

Apple totally rethink the way portables work and interface while netbooks are just smaller crappier Windohs. Apple has to change the way the majority thinks about conventional computing.

I agree completely, almost. I also have both and the iPhone is far better for me. My Asus basically gathers dust.

I have standardized on iPhone's/iTouch's, 3 Mac Minis and 3 Tablet PC's running Windows. Windows is far superior for people wanting an active digitizing screen input. I couldn't imagine ever going back to the typewriter model of a computer. Too bad it's not OSX, but Apple seems to believe that handwriting is a thing of the past (and they might be right). For most people a typewriter is just fine (since most don't require anything but ascii notation). On the other hand, cursive handwriting and general hand movement have so many other possibilities....

The iPhone/iTouch is really what Apple should build on when it comes to netbooks.

philip
  • Reply 110 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t0x View Post

I'm a netbook user/fan.

Netbooks ARE popular. <snip>

I like OS X, but what sort of netbook can Apple offer for $599?<snip>

Steve says that Apple doesn't know how to make a notebook for $500 that isn't a piece of junk. The truth of the matter is that Apple simply doesn't want to lower its margins.

Yes - make a cheap laptop and it'll be cheap. But aim MUCH lower and build up and they can do something great. Make it capable of far less but do it well.

There's enough profit/margin on the iPod Touch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by desides View Post

Am I the only person getting tired of netbooks? Fine, they make ultraportable notebooks intended solely for browsing the Internet and responding to email. Great! Why do we keep hearing about how great they are? They're narrow-use products.

Absolutely. And they should be thought of that way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodrulz View Post

anything below 900$. It just makes the Apple brand look cheap, and crappy.

The iPhone doesn't look cheap. Nor do the iPods.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

1- MacBook mini (10-11") based on the 13" MacBook motherboard, still with a full keyboard (enclosure cut as close to the keys as possible (11.0-11.5" wide), 7.0-7.5" depth, no optical drive. Could use the MBA external ODD.

<snip>

2- Bigger iPod touch (7" or so, 1024x600?)

If Apple makes it LOOK like a MacBook Air, 10" screen, but have the internals of an iPhone - they could do it inexpensively and maintain quality.

iPhone OS, ARM chip, internet connection. iPhone apps.

Plus Pages & Quickview - and some really good sync of documents.
  • Reply 111 of 256
    Amazon's current notebook bestseller list:

1. Aspire One blue, $384.99

2. Aspire One black, $385.82

3. Aspire One white, $ 388.99

4. Aspire One pink, $ 349.99

5. One Laptop per Child XO (Give a Laptop, Get a Laptop) $399.00

6. Samsung NC10, $482.99

7. Asus eeePC 904, $384.95

8. Asus eeePC 900, $329.99

9. Apple Macbook 2.0 Alu, $1268.98

10. Acer Aspire One , 6-cell, pink, $399.00

The next real notebook:

15. Toshiba Satellite L305, $599.99

Out of curiosity I've been checking the Amazon notebook bestsellers from time to time during the last two months. Always the same picture: 8-9 netbooks and one or two Macbooks in the top ten!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...f=pd_ts_pc_nav

Imagine Apple had a $700 10" or $800 11" netbook in their program and guess who would lead this list then?

Netbooks are mainly secondary computers. They would sell iMacs, Macbook and Macbook Pros like hot cakes to switchers who got hooked to OSX via affordable Mac netbooks. That's where Apple's real profit lies in the long run.

No matter what Jobs said two months ago, market trends and recession will force Apple to jump on the netbook bandwagon rather sooner than later.

There is nothing like the smell of switcher blood in the morning!
  • Reply 112 of 256
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    This is simple.

Just sell the Air at $599 and you're good to go.

The Air shouldn't be a luxurious choice, it should be marketed as Apple's smallest and weakest entry model. I guess the Air was a pioneer trying out a number of new technologies, but now that it's been proven to work, just ramp the production and lower the price. There's really no point in the Air being one of Apple's most expensive computers. It's not good for anyone.
  • Reply 113 of 256
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

if the argument is: we need something cheap and portable, the oqo (cute as it is) with a price of $1300 - $2700 is hardly a good example and might just strengthen the 'we can't deliver a cheap quality product' side.

You can get an OQO for $700 - $800.
  • Reply 114 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

This is simple.

Just sell the Air at $599 and you're good to go.

The Air shouldn't be a luxurious choice, it should be marketed as Apple's smallest and weakest entry model.

It's a real shame that so MANY people don't see that it's expensive to make things smaller. They see that the speed of the product affects the price, but think Apple just decide to charge triple for fun.

I am not wanting to target you specifically palegolas but really Apple can't just sell it for $600. I can understand that you might not value light and thin yourself (I personally would not spend the extra either) but it is much more of a challenge to create... and those that DO value it can pay extra to have the light/thin option.

ps. It IS cheaper to simply remove a DVD burner. I'd like to see a MacBook that doesn't squeeze every aspect to be smaller but removes the DVD burner (making it slightly smaller as a result) and leaves everything else similarly sized. It might even be $15 cheaper than a regular MacBook
  • Reply 115 of 256
    The Air has been the target of lots of fussing, almost entirely by people who don't own one and who can't conceive of why someone would. Either out of envy or what have you (the price point does put it out of reach of many possible buyers), they love to attack it. There was a thread earlier this year that went on and on about how bad it was. In the mean time, I bought one and put it to use; it paid for itself within two months and continues to work wonders.

The difference in weight alone b/w my Air and my wife's MacBook (not to mention my MacBook Pro) is worth the extra cost. Add to that the savings in space occupied in my bag and I now can carry a full-sized Wacom tablet instead of the tiny one on days when I plan to do heavy artwork (which is regular and yes, the Air handles it very capably).

The rantings against the Air almost reached an insulting level at one point; it really was quite ridiculous.

The MBA serves a particular market, has given Apple sufficient cash flow to more than pay for itself as a project, and performs many important tasks for the people who own it.
  • Reply 116 of 256
    I would imagine that Apple would make a netbook that is more iPhone than Macbook. For example, an Apple Netbook would probably have the ability to use any of the apps in the AppStore. How those apps would run on a larger screen is another question, but perhaps the OpenGL software would just scale them.

Or Apple could just open a new AppStore for larger-format applications.

Given a touchscreen keyboard and real Safari (to run Flash), and with access to the AppStore and iTunes, I think there is a real place in Apple's lineup for such a product.
  • Reply 117 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The Air has been the target of lots of fussing, almost entirely by people who don't own one and who can't conceive of why someone would. Either out of envy or what have you (the price point does put it out of reach of many possible buyers), they love to attack it. There was a thread earlier this year that went on and on about how bad it was. In the mean time, I bought one and put it to use; it paid for itself within two months and continues to work wonders.

How exactly did the MBA pay for itself in 2 months for you? IOW, there is no other machine that could have done the same but at a cheaper cost to you?
  • Reply 118 of 256
    Quote:

Given that the MacBook Air is Apple's idea of a 'netbook', my guess is we're more likely to see a touch based Tablet instead. Something in the 6x8 inch size.

It's a natural extension and would further build on the touch interface of both iPhone and multi-touch gestures of the MacBooks.

Going this route would go counter to simply miniaturizing laptops as current netbooks are. By going 'touch', this perceived premium will allow Apple to charge more in the $600-$800 range.

Yes. Expanding the 'iPod/iPhone' touch computing platform. I can see that happening. Add your own k/b...or use the built in multi-touch one.

I think this would be huge and make the netbooks look like the cheap 20Century tech' they are.

That said, I could see Apple doing a great Netbook ala the mock up above. However, I somehow...can't quite see them doing that. It's not bold enough. It's them doing 'me too.' 6x8 inches. Multi-touch. I think that's the way it's going. And it fits tween the iPhone/iPod touch and low end Macbook.

And. It'll blow the netbooks away. I can see the appeal of the netbooks. Cheap internet devices with a k/b. I think a touch tablet is the way to go, though...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 119 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

All junk. It's not even worth thinking about.

philip

What's junk is the iPhone. The most accurate review I have seen of it began by saying it is "flawed at its core". It is. GPS is a joke. Safari is not much better. It does NOT give you "all the web". There are so many web sites that use flash that Safari on the iPhone is nearly useless. The screen is so small that reading things is not at all easy. It is intentionally crippled in so many ways that it is not worth discussing. (Have you guessed that I gave it back?)

That is why the MID and netbook will succeed despite your desire not to think about them. AT&T is reported to be looking for an open source OS to standardize the smart phone market for the purpose of introducing lower cost handsets. Their core business is selling their services. Selling handsets is merely a means to access them.
  • Reply 120 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Each class of computer has its pros and cons. I prefer my iPhone for email and web browsing over my netbook. My netbook is for writing excessively when traveling light.

Exactly, each has its use and place in the market.