iPhone seen as still too expensive, losing steam in fall

Comments

• Reply 21 of 115
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    This would be the same Wall Street people that analyzed Apple's success and the Equities holocaust before either happened? That's right, they never saw it:

"But it doesn't have a floppy"

"But it doesn't have a physical keyboard"

"Housing prices will go up forever"

Word to the wise: do your own research. Apple finally gave us a phone without a tortured interface, and that's huge.

The app store wasn't bad either.
  • Reply 22 of 115
    She hasn't a clue as to what will make the world of iphone a better place.. or what will drive sales.. or what the iphone is doing that nobody else is even starting to do.. like she wants to dumb it down to the crowd who will actually own it just because all there friends got one cheap or free too.. wrong crowd.. wrong analzit.. wrong everything.. Sure, the phone will or may be at $99 soon or sooner than later.. I mean anyone interested in this kind of stuff knows the power of a product cycle.. what makes it successful and profitable and growing.. what gets it to the point of saturation.. and SURE! the price is one element of the marketing mix.. but .. how can anyone be so shallow as to suggest $99 NOW is more that a wet dream wish list for a wanna B iphone buyer.. It is such a sure bet that it WILL happen at some point that the next thing we will hear is that it was HER idea..

The fact is the iphone is growing very nicely.. growing sales.. growing profits.. growing customer satisfaction.. growing market mix of accessory software the customer needs being met and or will ultimately have..

I love sitting back and just watching it happen at the ballistic growth rate Apple enjoys.. I mean .. it is awesome!!
  • Reply 23 of 115
    If I wanted a summary of analyst drivel I'd turn to a source like Scottrade.

Does anyone remember when Apple Insider used to actually report real news?

You know... real news? Not analyst reports with misleading headlines?
  • Reply 24 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by afalkner View Post

My wife and I would both have an iPhone if AT&T weren't so damn expensive. I just can't justify it. We have tmobile and to switch we'd get less minutes and still pay more for the plan after adding txts. Then you still have to pay for the datapart. How txt is not included In the data plan is stupid. AT&T is basically robbing you in plain site. AT&T costs is the sole reason i don't have one! Then to be locks into that for two years! INSANE!

Exactly me, as well !
  • Reply 25 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

The overall 2 year cost went up by around $160.

People who believe this kind of "half" crap are part of the reason we're in this economic mess.

The first intelligent post so far. The newer iPhone is actually a lot more expensive because the compulsory contract has gone up!
  • Reply 26 of 115
    For myself there are two major barriers; one is being locked into one carrier (I object on a freedom of choice basis) and secondly, and even more importantly, is the long term cost based on the monthly carrier cost (I would have to deal with rogers). I would be willing to pay a little more for an iPhone (maybe 299) for an over all less expensive investment. If there was one other issue it would be the penalties for breaking a contract. I an in a transition between cities and possibly countries. I just don't want to pay the penalty. I think companies are just getting more and more greedy. Every company and it seems this includes Apple needs to remember the relationship with the consumer has more long term value than short term profits. Hey,... give the consumer what they want, treat them fairly and they will be loyal. P
  • Reply 27 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by avions View Post

the problem is that the service from at&t almost doubles my monthly bill.

Until there is an iphone that doesn't require a data connection, i will stick with my ipod touch + normal phone.

:d exactly! :d
  • Reply 28 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ichemware View Post

I feel that the iPhone is not overpriced at all. What people are wary about is the phone service, data, text message, add a line, night and weekend minutes extra! Oh, by the way, were gonna stick it to you for 2 years. Even if the damn phone is free people will still not be interested in paying for the services and for that length of time.

exactly, again!
  • Reply 29 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I agree, but then again AI is not what one would call a news agency nor would I consider Kaspar a journalist.

It's a rumor site. A popular one at that. Guaranteed to be even more popular and lucrative with click through on stories just like this. Sensationalist headlines certain to provoke the Mac community.

Ethics don't mean a thing when dollar signs are in your eyes.

So ethics tossed out the window, keep the click traffic and site ads plentiful?

What say you, Kaspar? I've had numerous occasions where I've taken you to task for allowing stories on here that were wrong or fabrications. What say you?
  • Reply 30 of 115
    The price is not the problem, the real problem is these freggin screw up plans that cost to damn much, i rather pay $499 upfront one time and not $75 a month for 24 months for a plan the use to cost $60 when the economy was really good a year ago. I don't want i cheaper phone i want a cheaper plan
  • Reply 31 of 115
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande;

Does anyone remember when Apple Insider used to actually report real news?

You know... real news? Not analyst reports with misleading headlines?

Have you been to alexa.com lately and seen how AppleInsider has been dropping like a rock since January 08 in web traffic?

There is so much BS here that I don't come here every day like I used to, sometimes I go a whole week without stopping by. There was a time not too long ago that I visited 4 or 5 times a day.
  • Reply 32 of 115
    When AT&T raised the cost of a contract with the iPhone 3G and began charging extra for text messages, I gave up the idea of switching from Verizon. (However one problem is that AT&T's increases in their data plan with the 3G provided room for Verizon to raise the cost of THEIR plans.)

I am a CEO and could afford an iPhone, but I didn't get where I am by throwing away money. The iPhone hardware is fairly priced for the value it offers. But the contract from AT&T is a rip off.
  • Reply 33 of 115
    Apple's iPhone 3G beats CDMA smartphones such as the Instinct with features such as HSPA, WIFI and the App Store. Though the iPhone 3G fails at providing features such as video recording, Mobile TV, tethering, voice guided GPS navigation and landscape typing for SMS and Email. The features it's missing Apple could provide. One way is for Apple to actually put work into providing a feature rich update instead of just releasing minor bug fixes or features customers haven't asked for. A good example of this is Google's Street View which isn't available in most countries where the iPhone 3G is sold such as Canada. Another way to provide missing features is for Apple to work at being more flexible with developers when considering which third party apps are allowed in the App Store. I enjoy using apps such as iPhone Modem, Snapture and Cycorder but I shouldn't have to jailbreak my iPhone 3G to get access to features competitors already include for free.
  • Reply 34 of 115
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    There's always the good-enough-crowd. The G1 with Andriod OS is good enough for many and cheap. My Blackberry, paid for by my company, is good enough.

One thing we're finding is that the iPhone with ActiveSync is more chatty on our internal network then the WinMo phones with ActiceSync. That has limited our roll-out of the iPhone to our 30k employees as a choice. I don't admin the Exchange servers so I don't know the exact specifics but hopefully Apple is aware of the bandwidth issues with their implementation of ActiveSync and they've lost sales at our company.
  • Reply 35 of 115
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    I have no problem with the price of the iPhone, I just don't want to switch carriers to get one. Simply put, if Apple ditched their "one carrier per country" policy, they would move a lot of them.
  • Reply 36 of 115
    I'm very surprised and disappointed at AI that this story is presented as 'fact' in it's headline. Katy Huberty should not be given the time of day given her track record, let alone a voice on a site such as this.
  • Reply 37 of 115
    I do not have an issue with the purchase price of an iPhone being $200. My issue is with the AT&T contract rates.

I rarely use a mobile phone and so I do not want a contracted extortionate rate for phone minutes that I will never use. I want pay as you go. Were I want the iphone is for the connectivity to the internet but again the rates here are still too much. Still I might be more interested if I could get a pay as you use plan.
  • Reply 38 of 115
    Say it isn't so! Another erudite observation from Morgan Stanley.

I'd like my Billions back, Morgan Stanley.
  • Reply 39 of 115
    AI is running out of ideas and seeing as it's not much of an actual site for serious technical discussions it's soon going to run out of talent here to keep any rumor remotely reasonable.
  • Reply 40 of 115
    We won't know 'til apple publishes the next round of figures; I do know that two of my work colleagues here in the UK bought theirs in the last week and haven't stopped gushing about how cool they are; I just smiled indulgently, Buddha-like