Apple to showcase Snow Leopard at Macworld - report

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    What happened to the page 3 replies? It gets redirected to page 2. Deleted, perhaps, and the navigation links not updated?
  • Reply 82 of 90
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

What happened to the page 3 replies? It gets redirected to page 2. Deleted, perhaps, and the navigation links not updated?

Haz may puxxled 2
  • Reply 83 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Exchange support comes from ActiveSync from MS

Actually it comes from Microsoft embracing SOAP and XML through Exchange Web Services.
  • Reply 84 of 90
    so.. was it actually demoed?
  • Reply 85 of 90
    irchsirchs Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

so.. was it actually demoed?

Doesn't seem so
  • Reply 86 of 90
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    I know I am saying this with hindsight.

But isn't Mac World supposed to be a consumer centric show?

Snow Leopard is not supposed to have any new consumer facing features. All the cool new stuff is under the hood. If you want to talk about Grand Central and Open CL - perhaps WWDC might be a better venue.

C.
  • Reply 87 of 90
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I know I am saying this with hindsight.

But isn't Mac World supposed to be a consumer centric show?

Snow Leopard is not supposed to have any new consumer facing features. All the cool new stuff is under the hood. If you want to talk about Grand Central and Open CL - perhaps WWDC might be a better venue.

C.

Exactly

What exactly are they going to demo that consumers would care about.

Exchange support? Yeah sure if you have Exchange Enterprise Server sitting in your home.

Snow Leopard will come out when it's ready and I hope it contains a LOT of little tweaks and polish. I'm happy with the current featureset ..let's fix a lot of the little niggling problems.
  • Reply 88 of 90
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irchs View Post

Doesn't seem so

indeed. shame. i do hope it's not too far off, though. i've decided i'm a bit overdue a good clean out of my system and the release of a new OS (esp one geared at efficiency and stability) would be a great time to do this.
  • Reply 89 of 90
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

indeed. shame. i do hope it's not too far off, though.

However, no demo may mean that it will be released well after the initial estimation; if so, then this lead us to the autumn, at least, of this year.
  • Reply 90 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I'm not sure why point #1 is an issue one way or the other. If I understand Windows 64-bit, you have to have a 64-bit app on 64-bit Windows, and you have to have 32-bit apps on 32-bit Windows. On OS X, it's not like that. It can run 64 bit apps now, and it will be able to run 32 bit apps when it's Snow Leopard.

And my reading was that Carbon wasn't being expunged from OS X entirely. So still having a bit of Carbon might not kill it.

Your understanding is correct, but a slight clarification is needed:

Windows XP/Vista/7 64-bit can run both 32-bit and 64-bit applications concurrently. But like Snow Leopard when released, all drivers must be 64-bit since the kernel is 64-bit. An important question is whether Apple will have enough 64-bit drivers support from third-party vendors and for its line of hardware.

Windows 32-bit can only run 32-bit applications (and 16-bit applications using emulation).