NVIDIA insider chimes in on new iMacs, mini and Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 61 of 109
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You're WACK- Excel if anything derives from Lotus 1,2,3 which had nothing to do with a Mac or Apple.

Excel for Mac was released about two years before the Windows version.

http://dssresources.com/history/sshistory.html

Quote:

The next milestone was the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. Excel was originally written for the 512K Apple Macintosh in 1984-1985. Excel was one of the first spreadsheets to use a graphical interface with pull down menus and a point and click capability using a mouse pointing device.

• Reply 62 of 109
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    So, since I have lost the track , when is the day?
  • Reply 63 of 109
    Can't wait for MWSF tomorrow! I've been waiting for some time now to see the iMacs refreshed so I can finally say goodbye to pc's and windows. Hell I might even buy a Mac Mini, I just want to go Mac. The only thing I'm really looking at is the GPU, but these news just made me happier

Now, thought I'd say something about the stocks...don't forget we are in the middle of a WORLD economic CRISIS. Banks and insurance companies are closing everywhere, not just in the United States...It's only natural that the stock prices come down!

Apple has been improving sales, they are a "corporation", their objective is to make money and so far they're doing it. They don't need restructuring, the stocks just won't come up even if they do it. And believe me, 2009 is going to be worse!

And btw...what the does the stock have to do with getting a Dell? "The Apple stocks are down, let's buy a Dell"? oukey....they're having profit, as long as that happens, there's no reason to buy Dell and use Windows, since you'll always have the support for your Mac.
  • Reply 64 of 109
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Give me a pair of user accessible hard drives and a removable back where I access the DIMM slots in that 28" "iMac Pro" and I might consider it.
  • Reply 65 of 109
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

I'm not an Apple Fan anymore. I own an iPhone and a Dell computer that has more features than the top of the line new MPB and a total cost with shipping and a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard with built in HDMI for $1,300.

So how is that non Mac OS X operating system working out for you?
  • Reply 66 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For once I have to disagree with you. Apple making TVs or TVs with AppleTV's integrated is not advantageous for them. Their are so many sizes and types that people use for Apple to be able to focus on the most profitable with a limited selection. And I don't 28" is anywhere near the most common size for consumers today, much less the next 6 months from now.

Whatever, Apple will show us at MacWorld when they're there with their new Macs?

?and you'll still be guessing as to which word to use.
  • Reply 67 of 109
    Quote:

You're WACK- Excel if anything derives from Lotus 1,2,3 which had nothing to do with a Mac or Apple.

Excel was first on the Mac, and Lotus 1,2,3 was derived from VisiCalc which was an Apple II application and the mother of all spreadsheets.
  • Reply 68 of 109
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: I find it funny that you talk about bad decisions while using a Dell running Windows.

Well, he could own Dell stock through the same period where he whines about Apple stock.
  • Reply 69 of 109
    Quote:

I've owned Macs from the 512Ke. Check my history on my posting and it's backs it up 100

%.

As near as I can tell skimming your posting history you joined in September to gripe about all things Apple. Why bother if you were going to ditch the platform a mere 4 months later?

Your posting that you are X, Y & Z and owned A, B and C are not proof of anything anyway.
  • Reply 70 of 109
    Quad-Core 28" iMac: in Apr '08 (in the Computerworld forums) I predicted a quad-core model, and in these forums last year I hinted at a 27" model, but I still feel vindicated. I told you so, I told you so!!!
  • Reply 71 of 109
    Quote:

If you are new to the stock market a company can make money even if they don't meet earnings. Ask Steve, he made a ton on his illegal options scandal.

If you are not new to the market then you should buy a lot of Apple Stock and I wish you a happy 2009. You may have a Dell in 2010.

As far as HDMI is concerned. All home computers are moving towards the home theater market except Apple which hangs on to the legacy AppleTV which every reputable review has deemed it worthless and makes more money off of making adapters to push their new products. By the way my laptop was purchased by my company and was purchased from Dells Business Laptop Center because our new computers in the board room have HDMI meaning no IT required to have a meeting.

Geez, can you get more things wrong than you have in this thread?

Look at APPL's performance vs the S&P 500 ad tell me it is underperforming over the last 5 years. Hell, it's only up over 700%. Dell in comparison is down 70% while the S&P is down 20%. In the last year both Dell and Apple are down around 55% while the S&P is down around 40ish. HPQ has done better and is down only 20% but over the last 5 years APPL has outperformed it handily.

If you had bought stock at all it in general seems you'd be pretty pissed off given your complaint against APPL. Try selling your tales of woe to RIMM shareholders. Their rise wasn't as good and their plummet just as steep. Even so, their 5 year has been a mere 250% rise...their 1 year 60% down.

If you were new to the market, you might have bought APPL last year on the assumption that it could do nothing but go up further.

As far as HDMI and the home computer market is concerned still only a few home computers have HDMI out. Almost all have DVI out because that's the default on graphics cards.

Finally, Steve has made a ton of money from making APPL a strong company, not the dying wreck it was when he came back. I find it good that APPL is making a ton of money because I invest for the long term and so long as sales are increasing YOY the current margins are just fine.
  • Reply 72 of 109
    archer75archer75 Posts: 204member
    A 28" with an i7 would be nice. Though a 9800 GPU is just a 8800. They use the same core. I would hope for a Nvidia GT260 or 280.

Then it would be a worthy upgrade for me all around.

But what I really hope for is for power in the mini. Not an underclocked chipset but rather quite the opposite. Maybe not realistic, but I can dream.
  • Reply 73 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

The trackpad.

How about USB. It was Apple that made it universal.

Firewire.

Word. Excel. Acrobat. iTunes. Photoshop. Illustrator. QuarkXPress. TrueType. QuickTime. Made for, by or without Apple they wouldn't exist.

iTunes sucks, especially on Windows.

The touchpad was used on the Apollo's keaboard. Psion also had a similar device that used touch to replace a mouse. You give Apple way to much credit, sure they were one of the first popular computers and thus their laptop would use this commonsense technology first utilized elsewhere.

In fact I think Apple owes alot to Microsoft. Without Microsoft (or a similar software company) having decided to license software to any computer maker, prices still would be high. Apple to stay competitive has lowered prices. Microsoft's work has really made computer mass market. In addition of course to Microsoft helping Apple out financially as well as not ditching the platform and continueing to offer Office for Mac.

Microsoft never intended to create Office Software and had innitially asked for someone else to create that software for Windows. But they eventually decided to create it themselves and have done a damn good job at it. So what if they released on a Apple first, the development was there and if Apple hadn't existed it would have been released on Windows.

I think Firewire is really the only think important you can really attribute to Apple, and they are now killing it. USB on the other hand was created by Intel, Compaq, Microsoft, IBM etc.. NOT APPLE.

Quicktime is propietary, and didn't die like RealPlayer because of the cult Apple following in design. But better alternatives exists that allow you to save files without charging you for the pleasure.

I'll give you Adobe, but I don't see why I need to worship Steve Jobs over it. In fact a large part of the OS X platform is borrowed. Just look at open source Darwin.

While Apple has given to the tech community, overall its been less that what others have given. Thats not to say Apple is bad or their computers are bad or their OS is bad. In fact they work great. But to say that because you use Windows XP or Vista that you owe something to Apple is horribly wrong. I dare say if Apple had never existed that someone would have come along and made software like Photoshop eventually. On the other hand if a company hadn't decided to screw IBM and make an x86 OS (or really any other platform) available to any hardware manufacture we would still be paying alot more due to the lack of competition.
  • Reply 74 of 109
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

SLI and Crossfire aren't that great. Either a good graphics card, higher end graphics card, or a Nvidia Quadro... One card is enough to do some serious graphix.

Honestly, I like gaming and PC and think SLI and Crossfire have their use, but overall it's more a consumer/enthusiast/marketing thing. For gaming I'd use it because I like to run my games (when I had my PC) at high (4x or more) anti-aliasing and SLI helps with that...

If you have the bucks you'd throw in a Quadro there, rather than SLI Nvidia 9800s or something. IMHO.

Of course, if you could SLI two Quadros in a Mac Pro.......

And that's why the Mac Pro needs SLI and Crossfire. What if people want more power than a single Quadro card offers? Quadro SLI is available on PC's but not Macs.
  • Reply 75 of 109
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

And that's why the Mac Pro needs SLI and Crossfire. What if people want more power than a single Quadro card offers? Quadro SLI is available on PC's but not Macs.

With all the attention given to OpenCL & CUDA, i wonder if this is not what Apple intends on delivering with the next Mac Pro update.
  • Reply 76 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

iTunes sucks, especially on Windows.

The touchpad was used on the Apollo's keaboard. Psion also had a similar device that used touch to replace a mouse. You give Apple way to much credit, sure they were one of the first popular computers and thus their laptop would use this commonsense technology first utilized elsewhere.

In fact I think Apple owes alot to Microsoft. Without Microsoft (or a similar software company) having decided to license software to any computer maker, prices still would be high. Apple to stay competitive has lowered prices. Microsoft's work has really made computer mass market. In addition of course to Microsoft helping Apple out financially as well as not ditching the platform and continueing to offer Office for Mac.

Microsoft never intended to create Office Software and had innitially asked for someone else to create that software for Windows. But they eventually decided to create it themselves and have done a damn good job at it. So what if they released on a Apple first, the development was there and if Apple hadn't existed it would have been released on Windows.

I think Firewire is really the only think important you can really attribute to Apple, and they are now killing it. USB on the other hand was created by Intel, Compaq, Microsoft, IBM etc.. NOT APPLE.

Quicktime is propietary, and didn't die like RealPlayer because of the cult Apple following in design. But better alternatives exists that allow you to save files without charging you for the pleasure.

I'll give you Adobe, but I don't see why I need to worship Steve Jobs over it. In fact a large part of the OS X platform is borrowed. Just look at open source Darwin.

While Apple has given to the tech community, overall its been less that what others have given. Thats not to say Apple is bad or their computers are bad or their OS is bad. In fact they work great. But to say that because you use Windows XP or Vista that you owe something to Apple is horribly wrong. I dare say if Apple had never existed that someone would have come along and made software like Photoshop eventually. On the other hand if a company hadn't decided to screw IBM and make an x86 OS (or really any other platform) available to any hardware manufacture we would still be paying alot more due to the lack of competition.

There is a lot of innovation, not necessarily brand new innovations, that can be attributed to Apple. Perfecting a technique and making it viable more often is more changed the course of history than creating it. MS used QT code in their WMP. MS clearly has taken cues from Apple for its OS time and time again. HW makers keep following Apple's aesthetics. Even the MBA now has at least 3 copycats that use the same 1.8" HDD, same SFF C2D, 13" display and are made to be super thin. I think Dell has a 4th one to show us as CES.
  • Reply 77 of 109
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Visicalc must have been before your time.

Edit: as gastro said
  • Reply 78 of 109
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

Once again, that image is SO faked. If any of my typography students brought me a piece of work with the kerning between the "d's" in "world's" like that, I'd fail them on that assignment. There is no way that would pass muster with any decent typographer, let alone Apple's print design team, ad agency, etc.

Yeah the gap before the 's' in 'world's' is clearly wrong as can be seen from Apple's version:

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookair/

A 28" iMac would be very disappointing. People don't need that size of display, nor should they be forced to buy one to get a Core i7 desktop. Perhaps some people were complaining they couldn't see enough of themselves in the 24" version so they decided to aim for a full length mirror.

If they do bring one out, it's a testament to the kind of attitude Apple take with things. People ask for a reasonable desktop-level computer and complain that the iMac isn't capable of offering it. Making a 28" AIO to prove otherwise is plain ridiculous.

What do they expect people are going to do when they get dead pixels or uneven backlighting? That piece of glass on the front will be very heavy for shipping.

Underclocking the Mini below a Macbook isn't surprising as we know Apple want you to buy iMacs but it's still pathetic if true . Still, I'd rather have one of those for at home than the iMac. Then I'll wait and see what the Mac Pro update is like for work.
  • Reply 79 of 109
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think this whole set of insider information is BS. Some things may be right but not because this source has any insider info. Sure, iMac and mini getting the MCP79; that was disclosed in the latest OS release. Mac pro based on Core i7? Sure, it's not a stretch to think Apple would go there. Core i7 as is provides DP functionality. But what is whack is the prediction for the 28" iMac based on the Core i7 and the under-clocked mini chipset? Plus, where is this fake mockup?
  • Reply 80 of 109
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Visicalc must have been before your time.

Edit: as gastro said

Yeah- and you could add numbers with cards on Fotran before that which much have been before your time. And before that an Abacus.

Excel was a total imitator of Lotus 12 3- plain and simple. Lotus 1 2 3 ran on IBM computers- not Macs.

Don't re-write history.